ELVEN | K.TH

By Kuribee126

The forests behind Rinei's home hold rumors of beautiful creatures. Many have gone in to find them, but none... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62: ENDING

27

984 95 7
By Kuribee126

RINEI

Jimin...

He laughs quietly when I walk out of the bathroom, uncertainty written all over my features.

"You are gorgeous, my lady."

Arlen follows me out of the bathroom. She'd helped me dress, and I feel her fix the pins around my head into place. The short, dark veil hides my ears.

Then she sets a silver butterfly mask over my dark eyes.

"There. You are now an Elven Lady."

Jungkook breathes out in frustration. He keeps touching his own mask. There's a similar veil over his ears, like mine.

"Why do we need to wear this again? It feels uncomfortable!"

"Because it is a masquerade and you'll need it when you dance with me." Arlen says, her blue eyes glowing under her sapphire mask. A smile tints her rosy lips.

"You will keep away my suitors for me, no?"

Jungkook murmurs something under his breath when she grazes his cheek.

I touch the silken fabric of the gown. Arlen had lent me one of hers— a beautiful black dress that cinches at my waist and spans out wider towards my legs. She'd tested out a few heels on me before she'd determined that I'd never be able to walk a single step in any of them.

Jimin interrupts. "Are we ready? The Gala will begin in just a couple minutes."

He offers me his arm. And I link mine through his, my mind full of only Taehyung. I'd see him soon.

I wondered if he was okay. My heart pounds, just from thinking how he would be in my arms in less than an hour. I want to kiss him, feel his lips back on mine.

I love him.

I'd always had.

And tonight, I'd steal him away from everything that could ever hurt him again.

_________________________________

Jimin whispers to me just before we enter.

"I have hidden Sterling by the fourth balcony. Take the Prince there later. I will meet you near the borderline of the Forest soon after."

I nod.

The door opens. And the scale of the entire Gala blinds me, for a split second. The room by its own is massive— ivy chandeliers dripping jewels on the ceiling and lit with a soft silver. Hundreds of masked nobles are already here.

My eyes instantly look towards the center end of the room, searching desperately for the elf I'd come for.

And I see him, standing next to the throne where Lord Elven is.

Tae.

His mask is black and gold. A silver circlet marks him royalty, and I stare at him as seconds tick by in my mind.

His dark hair is pulled back from his face. His brows are furrowed, but I can see the way his eyes stay unfocused over the entire crowd. He's tired— much more exhausted than he's letting on.

Then Jimin curses next to me.

"His neck." He whispers angrily.

Then I notice. There's a thick, circular mark around the tan skin of his neck. It's so distinct that I can see it all the way from here.

It's from his chains.

The Lord Elven rises from his seat. And the room instantly quiets, as I turn my burning stare on the monster of a father. He sounds so kind— his expression warm, in front of his people.

What a liar.

"Thank you for attending the annual celebration of the Forest." He says, smiling. "My two sons will now go down to the floor for the Gala Dance. Please— I wish an enjoyable time for all tonight."

The Princes give a deep bow. As they come down, my eyes monetarily catch the Crown Prince— the First Heir, and Tae's brother.

His hair is a shade of light silver, braided down his back with the royal circlet set on top of his head. His eyes glow deep violet behind a golden mask, and the smiles he gives the chattering ladies are full of feigned charm.

He honestly gives me the chills.

Shivering, I adjust my own mask and hurry towards Tae. I've only taken one step when I stop.

I'm too late.

He's already on the floor with a nobleborn. His eyes are blank and empty behind his mask— as if he's here but not here at the same time. He dances with her, but there is no expression at all compared to her blushing cheeks.

He doesn't know I'm here.

Somehow I was going to have to snatch him away, before midnight struck.

Jimin had told me the Gala ended exactly then, three hours from now.

But with every minute that ticks by, I slowly lose my hope.

I'd tried so many times.

But the moment he finishes a dance, another takes the place immediately. The competition between the ladies are so fierce that I can't even find my own place.

And the fact I still had to hide myself didn't really help either. I had to keep a little distance, too worried someone might catch on with my disguise.

The time just keeps ticking by as well.

I'm starting to get really anxious when a hand suddenly taps my shoulder. I whip around, body stiff and frozen.

My wide eyes look up into a pair of piercing violet eyes.

The Crown Prince.

The anxiety grows tenfold.

Did he notice I wasn't an elf?

But instead, he smiles. There's a fiery light in his gaze as he extends a hand in my direction.

"Good evening, my beautiful lady." He says, his eyes narrowing towards Tae before turning back to me. "I've noticed you've had your attention on my brother for a while."

I'd heard that Tae's brother was very competitive with him.

But seriously? This much?

"Could I offer you a dance?"

My eyes flicker behind him. There are still a lot of ladies there, wanting to dance with him.

There's a lot more who wants to dance with you, Your Highness, I sign, keeping my lips pursed. I think you should—

"Oh, but now you've taken my interest." He cuts me off, sweeping his silver locks to the side. "Am I not good enough for a few minutes of your time, I wonder?"

Shoot. I can feel something's going really wrong here.

Not at all. I force a smile, hoping my veil is still firm in place. It's really nothing like that.

"Why do you sign, my lady?"

Mute. I sign stiffly, forcing another smile. My body is already half-turned away, so ready to get out of here as fast as I can. People were starting to look at me.

Sorry, but I think I got to go now.

I turn away, my fingertips clasping my dress. The tips of my ears are burning from embarrassment.

That hadn't gone as planned.

But then he turns me back. His hand wraps around my wrist, and I stifle a gasp as his other clasps my waist. His violet eyes glimmer.

"Allow me one dance."

He pulls me down to the dance floor. And I'm completely in panic now as I shuffle after him, my flats clicking urgently. This can't be happening.

Arlen had taught me the basics of dancing. But now I can barely remember anything as the music starts in the background. He's placed my hand on his shoulder.

People's watching.

I'm freaking out.

I glare up at him.

Why in the world did he have to get in the way?!

But the Crown Prince only seems amused as he starts leading the dance, every movement practiced perfectly. At first I manage to copy him on some steps, but soon I lose the rhythm.

He raises a brow when I almost trip over his feet.

"Are you feeling unwell, my lady?"

I wish you'd left me alone.

But maybe...

Yes, I sign. I keep my head down. I'm not feeling too good, Your Highness. I think you'd better find someone else.

"Then let me take you out for some fresh air."

I curse.

No, no. I smile, not even caring if it looks forced at this point. I back away, signing as I do.

All these other ladies are waiting for you. I'll be completely fine by myself— thank you for the offer, though.

His violet eyes glint.

"It'll be just a minute."

He takes my hand. And I press another string of curses down as he leads me out to a balcony, his gloved fingers wrapped around my wrist.

My mouth drops open. I can't even resist, because I don't want to cause a larger commotion than I was already making.

Could he really not take a damn hint?

________________________________

TAEHYUNG

My body hurts underneath the suit I wear.

"Such a pretty piece of music," The lady says, her hand against my chest. Her lashed eyes blink at me from behind her mask. "Don't you think, Your Highness?"

I nod, my lips pursed and thoughts somewhere else.

Rinei. If Jimin had been in his right mind, he would've kept her away from the Gala. She'd be back in my room, safe from the other elves' prying eyes.

Would I have a minute to visit her?

But I already knew that was too much to hope for. My father would lock me away again the moment midnight struck and the Gala ended. He was watching me, even now.

It hurts more than my scars, not being able to see her. To touch her.

Then my eyes briefly catch my brother across the room. He is with a lady— a beautiful lady with a veiled mask and a dark dress.

Her dark waves cascade around her pale shoulders.

My eyes narrow.

There was something familiar about her.

She held a beauty different from the others.

"Your Highness," The lady in front of me calls, her fingers tightening around my shoulders. "Please. Devote just a few minutes of your time."

"...yes."

But just a second later, my eyes return to her. She's facing away from me, but the curve of her figure grows more familiar the more I look.

She seems strangely like...

Rinei.

"My Prince." The lady hisses again, but I pay her no attention. My body is moving with the dance, but my eyes are fixed across the room.

It's Rinei. She is here.

It's her with the elven dress, her ears concealed with a tinted veil. Her beauty grows tenfold the moment I realize.

But she is with my brother.

Why?

Then I tense when Jaerim pulls her out to one of the balconies. He's holding her wrist, and the moment I catch a glimpse of her paled, panicked face, my mind turns black.

I can't think straight, from then on.

"Your Highness!"

Ignoring my partner I'd left behind, I rush towards the balcony. I weave through the crowd, not caring that my father might be watching me.

What is he doing with her?

Why is he with her, in the first place?

I would kill him if he laid a single finger on her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.3K 920 65
Vampires and Witches have been roaming around the Earth since the beginning of times, living alongside humans without making their presence known. Ju...
399K 22.6K 68
BTS JUNGKOOK X READER "You are hot." "Angels and demons? Are you still living in those fairy tales?" Well, this would be the exact reply that I would...
1K 115 34
I hate him more than all the others. I hate him so much that sometimes when I look at him, I can hardly breathe. Rank - 15 #Faerie TROPE- enemies to...
34.8K 2.7K 63
Jungkook, the son of a renowned archaeologist, chose to embark on an adventurous journey to Russia. Since learning about the lost Korean princess in...