Safe With Me ~ Fred Weasley

By mahduhlyn

"Your dad gave you this?" I nodded, still not looking at the necklace. "Your dad did that to your neck." He s... More

September First
Tommy
Kitchen Runs
The Weasley Twins
Confusion
The Boggart
The Welcome Back Party
Pranks
Hufflepuff vs Gryffindor
Like the Sun
The One Eyed Witch
Dementors
Black's Break in
Don't Ignore Me
Hufflepuff vs Ravenclaw
Dementor Lessons
Hogsmeade
Happy Christmas
Christmas Eve
Christmas
Bruises
Cordially Invited
Expecto Patronum
I Got You Hurt
Slytherin vs Ravenclaw
The Astronomy Tower
Gryffindor vs Ravenclaw
Birthday Gifts
A Happy Memory
Birthday Party
Thirty Feet Up
Exams
Lupin's Resignation
The Burrow
Missing
Summer
Shopping Spree
Admit It
Lake Day
Hide and Seek
Charlie
Under the Stars
Happy Birthday
DeGnoming
Perfect
The Cemetery
Mr. Olsen
Harry's Arrival
The Portkey
The World Cup
The End of Summer
Back To Hogwarts
Unforgivable Curses
The Tri-Wizard Tournament
The Goblet of Fire
The Yule Ball
Rejection
The Ball
The First Happy Christmas
The Second Task
Jealousy, Jealousy
Orchideous
Mrs. Weasley
The Last Will & Testament
He Was Happy
Back Home
Percy
Losing a Brother
12 Grimmauld Place
The Order
Prefects
Umbridge
Detention
Dumbeldore's Army
Banned
Christmas at Grimmauld Place
Educational Decree #26
Acedemic Achievement
Caught
Departure
Give Her Hell From Us, Peeves
OWLs
The Inquisitorial Squad
Level 9: Department of Mysteries
Black Sheep
Weasley Wizard Wheezes
I Want You
September
Slytherin
Invisible
Christmas at the Burrow
Nott
The Phoenix Lament
Seventeen
Saintlike
The Wedding
The Ministry Has Fallen
The Carrows
Crucio
Selwyn
Potterwatch
A Small Christmas
The Room of Requirement
Disappearing Act
The Battle
Fireworks

The First Task

9.9K 252 166
By mahduhlyn

The majority of the students had rushed from breakfast straight to their dorms to get dressed warmly for the tournament, as all we knew was that it would be outside. As I neared the stairs to the Hufflepuff common room, I saw him. The sandy brown hair towering above the rest of the students, heading in the opposite direction, his eyes glazed over, deep in thought.

"Cedric." I called, stopping in front of him as his eyes met mine, his hands reaching to scratch the back of his neck nervously.

"Hi Cassidy." He said, his voice not sounding it's usual level of cheery.

"What's with the badges, Cedric? That's poor taste, I didn't think you'd stoop that low." I honestly was disappointed with the Hufflepuff prefect. Everyone that spoke of him knew how kind he was.

"I didn't make those badges!" His eyes went wide. "I've asked them not to wear them. It's cruel. And I honestly don't think Harry wanted to enter."

I paused, sliding over to let more students pass me down the stairway as I studied his face. Of course he hadn't made them. Of course he had told people not to wear them. It wasn't like him.

"Oh... I'm sorry, I should have known." I trailed off.

"That's alright. Very Hufflepuff of you." He winked, taking one more step up to the main floor. "I gotta get going, First Task will start soon. I'll see you there?" He began walking backwards towards the exit, still looking at me, waiting for my response.

"Wouldn't miss it. Good luck!" I smiled, watching him walk out the door, feeling guilty for accusing him of something he didn't do right before the first task.

"There she is, our favorite Hufflepuff!" George sang as the twins rushed up next to me, linking arms with mine.

"Now we know you might be tempted to sit with your fellow Hufflepuffs..." Fred started, holding up a scarlet sweatshirt with WEASLEY embroidered along the back. "But we were hoping you might re-consider."

"Fred! No!" I laughed, trying with all my might to break out of their hold of me to get to my own dorm room and retrieve a perfectly golden hoodie to wear to the tournament.

"I just don't see you getting down there..." George shrugged, faking disappointment for me as Fred held his sweatshirt out for me once again.

"I see you being quite cold actually, and it's probably gonna start any minute now, we're going to miss the start, it'll just all be-"

"Fine!" I rolled my eyes, pushing my arms through the sweatshirt and letting Fred slip it over my head.

"Much better." He smirked, leading the way out to the grounds.

"We're sitting with the Hufflepuffs though." I said, looking between the two of them.

"Near the Hufflepuffs." Fred countered.

"Within eyesight of the Hufflepuffs." George continued.

Ten minutes later, Fred, George, Lee, Ron, Hermione and I were smushed together in our best attempt to preserve our warmth, sitting at the edge of the Hufflepuff stands. I could feel some glares in our direction as, admittedly, we were some of the only students in the stands sporting Gryffindor colors, but because of this I felt less guilty. It wasn't fair that no one was cheering for Harry.

Finally, a loud whistle blew from the stands where Ludo Bagman, Barty Crouch and the Headmaster's were sat and Cedric emerged from the champions tent. He was wearing a yellow long sleeved shirt and black pants, but from this distance you could barely see his face, which might have been a stroke of luck for the champions. I knew my face would be ghostly white if I had managed to last even these first few seconds with the dragon Cedric was looking at.

Cedric surveyed the dragon for a few minutes, the grayish blue creature's eyes locked on the Hufflepuff, smoke leaking from it's nostrils as if it was just waiting to burn him to a crisp.

"Well, he'd better get a move on." Fred grumbled as if this was a boring experience.

"Honestly, do something." George agreed.

"Let's go, Diggory!" Lee shouted, earning some grumbles and shushes from behind us.

At last, Cedric raised his wand, uttering an inaudible spell at a boulder between himself and the dragon which transformed into a dog, barked at the Short-Snout and scurried away when the dragon took the first few steps towards him.

Once out of sight, the crowd began to buzz with excitement, obviously not wanting to draw the dragon's attention back to Cedric as he raced forward and claimed the golden egg which the dragon had left momentarily unprotected.

I jumped to my feet and cheered with the rest of my house, or rather, the rest of the school. Hermione clapped politely in her seat, nudging at the Weasley boys to follow her lead. I turned to see George and Ron looking almost put out at Cedric's win, while Fred's brown eyes locked on mine, looking angry.

"Oh, come on guys, let Hufflepuff have their moment!" I grinned, hoping to break through their sour moods, but none of their glares let up until I took my seat again and the crowd's noise died down.

We all watched, I for one on the edge of my seat, as Fleur lured the dragon into a sleeping trance, although allowing her skirt to set on fire as she did so, still capturing the egg once she had put out the flames. Krum then used another in-audible spell which hit his dragon directly in it's eye. The crowd gasped as the creature swayed back and forth, lashing out with it's mouth and tail, clearly blinded while Krum easily captured the egg.

Finally, it was Harry's turn, and I honestly couldn't say who looked more nervous, me or Ron.

"He's going to be fine." Hermione chanted, more to herself than to us.

The whistle blew at last, and Harry emerged from the tent to face his dragon.

"Course his has to be the most bloody terrifying thing I've ever seen." Fred said, leaning forward in his spot to get a better view.

"Just climb in her lap, why don't you? I'm sure she hates personal space." Lee joked.

"Am I bothering you, love?" Fred asked, cocking his head to the side to await my answer.

"No, Freddie." I bit back a smile, pretending that my focus was still on Harry and the Hungarian Horntail.

"Let's go, Potter!" Lee shouted, his voice managing to carry throughout the stands and a few more cheers could be heard throughout the students.

Instead of aiming his wand at the dragon, Harry raised his to the sky and shouted something, his eyes looking all around the stadium as if waiting for some change that he was sure would follow.

"Oh, shit." I breathed, watching his look of horror as he waited.

"What's plan B, Hermione?" Ron asked, his voice sounding shakey.

After what felt like hours of strained silence, Harry's face broke into a grin as he spotted the flying broomstick, hurtling towards him through the air. He caught it in one hand and mounted it quickly, kicking up, passing the stands and the dragon's height, looking happier than I had seen him in weeks now.

He started towards the Horntail, grabbing it's attention before zipping out of the stadium, headed straight back for the castle in the distance, allowing the dragon time to catch up.

"Is... a broomstick faster than a dragon?" I asked, my initial elation at Harry's plan halted as I watched the dragon on his tail.

"Let me check my dragon fact sheet, one second, oh." Fred smirked at me, carefree as always, even as one of our best friends was about to be burnt and eaten before our eyes.

"You're so helpful. Now I remember why we keep you around."

"Shut up, you guys, it's working!" George shouted, pointing at Harry who was returning to the stadium, a blur of red through the sky. The dragon apparently had not been one for the quick twists and turns Harry had made around Hogwarts and it had lost a lot of momentum. Harry landed easily on the rocky ground and hopped off the Firebolt, hoisting the golden egg above his head to a massive cheer now, much more of Hogwarts impressed with Harry than they had been at the start of the day.

A little over an hour later, I was sat in my favorite arm chair near the fire, listening to the cheering and re-enactments that seemed like they may last the entire night. Cedric had been making his way through the crowds, thanking everyone who congratulated him and excusing himself from multiple girls who were practically drooling over the Hufflepuff champion.

"Merlin," He sighed, plopping down onto the chair next to mine. "Now I know how Harry feels when... while... practically every day." His eyes danced when I laughed at his joke.

"You did well. I'm sure you've already heard." I smiled.

"Yeah, but not from you. Thanks." He grinned, letting his head flop back on the couch. "I'm sleeping through tomorrow. The whole day. In bed."

"Oh, you didn't hear? Part 2 tomorrow, you all re-shuffle your dragons and-" I stopped when he threw his arm out, smacking my arm and laughing.

"Thought you would be up with the Gryffindors, judging by your outfit choice." He questioned, eyeing my sweatshirt.

"I am going to head up there. I just thought I should congratulate my champion first."

"Your champion?" He asked, sitting up with a blatant smirk plastered on his face now.

"The Hufflepuff champion." I laughed, feeling my cheeks tinge pink. "You know what I meant."

"Tell Harry good job from me." He waved lazily from his spot as I headed from the room. It was nearly eight now, and I was slightly hesitant to leave the common room this late knowing curfew was in just two hours, but I had promised Fred I would be up at their party and I didn't intend to miss it.

Clearly, no one had thought to do a silencing charm, as the music and cheers could be heard from the staircase as I approached the portrait hole.

"Balderdash." I said politely, noting the lady's glare as she opened up for me.

"Cassidy!" A chorus of voices called as I stepped inside.

"Still in the right colors!" Fred's grin widened as he saw me, rushing over with a cup of what smelled like straight fire whiskey.

"Good party so far?" I smirked, watching him sway slightly next to me.

"All of our parties are good parties, if you'll recall." He tapped my nose and grabbed onto my hand, linking his fingers between mine and pulling me to get a drink.

"I shouldn't drink too much, it's nearly curfew..." I reminded him as I took a sip of a fruity drink he had poured for me.

"Then stay here tonight." He whispered, his breath fluttering against my hair. "With me."

I bit my lip, looking around as if anyone could hear Fred's low voice in a room this loud.

"We'll see Freddie." I took another sip of my drink to attempt to hide my smile.

"Yes we will." He winked.

"Harry come on, what's in the egg?" A few Gryffindor's shouted as Harry hoisted the oversized golden egg onto his shoulder.

"You want me to open it?" He grinned excitedly to the room of cheers, which surprisingly included Ron.

"Are they good now?" I shouted near Fred's ear and he nodded.

"Bout time too. Their lover's spat was draining on me." He rolled his eyes dramatically and I laughed before the loudest screech I had ever heard blasted throughout the room.

"Shut it!" Fred screamed, fighting to be heard over the eggs noise before Harry shut it.

"Bloody Hell!" Lee, as well as most of the Gryffindor's shouted, their hands still over their ears in fear of the noise returning.

"Sounds like a banshee, Harry. Maybe you've gotta fight one of those next?" Seamus Finnigan shouted to be heard over the chatter.

Before anyone could answer, a new scream rang through the common room and we all turned to watch Neville Longbottom melt down into a small bird.

"Oh... no..." George sighed.

"Sorry, Neville, forgot we hexed the custard creams!" Fred started over to the bird and watched nervously until the bird molted it's feathers and Neville re-appeared looking completely normal and even laughing along with his friends.

"Canary Creams!" Fred grinned, "George and I invented them, seven sickles each!"

I smiled and shook my head as he walked back over to me, still smiling like a mad-man.

"You had no idea if he was going to change back, did you?" I muttered through a smile.

"Well, I know now." He winked, pulling my hand to lead me to the couch near the fire. "How was your Hufflepuff celebration?"

"Nothing like this." I laughed, looking around the room as Fred poured me another drink from the bottle on the table in front of us. "No students turning into birds or screaming eggs."

"What? Pretty Boy's egg doesn't scream? That hardly seems fair."

I laughed, taking another sip from my new drink and watching the students around the common room. Many of them were still gathered around Harry, which bothered me only slightly. They were all keen to be on his side celebrating when things were looking up, but the second the whole school turned against him, where had they been?

I was however happy that Ron was talking to him again, and judging from Hermione's small smile as she watched the two of them laughing together, she was as well.

"What are you thinking about?" Fred asked softly and I met his eyes, realizing now that he had been watching me the whole time.

"How... fun it always is here."

Fred laughed, nodding as he took another drink of fire whiskey.

"Gryffindor's know how to party."

"Weasley's know how to party."

"Not all of us. Percy would be livid right now. And Ron will be hungover off that first drink he's milking by morning."

"Be nice." I laughed. "We're not all partiers like you and George."

"I don't know, I think of myself as a rather serious guy. Studious and quiet, shy-"

I laughed loudly, attracting the attention of a few people nearby. "You're the least shy person I've ever met."

"I'm plenty shy!" He bit back, leaning forward to pour another drink.

After another two hours, almost everyone had gone up to bed, leaving Fred and I alone on the couch, cozy, tipsy and blissfully unaware of anything outside of our own little bubble of conversation.

"Tell me a secret." He smiled, his fingers running through my hair softly as my head laid on his lap. I didn't know at what point my drunk self had decided this was an okay move, but the second Fred's hands found their way into my hair any hesitations had vanished.

"I don't have secrets." I giggled, trying hard to think of something, anything, this boy didn't already know about me.

"Oh please. You've got so many secrets I'm surprised I actually know your real name. Do you have your birth certificate? Can I check?"

I laughed again and reached for my cup, taking a last sip of my drink.

"Who's your best friend?" He asked once he realized I wasn't going to answer the secret question.

"I don't have a best friend, I like them all-"

"You like one of them best." He narrowed his eyes.

"No!" I tried to sit up, but Fred moved his other hand to my shoulder to push me back onto his lap.

"Fine, fine, fine. You make this difficult."

"Who's your best friend? George or Lee?" I joked, trying to show him how hard it was to choose.

"George is my brother, that doesn't count. And Lee's not my best friend."

"How is Lee not your best friend?" I squinted at him, suspiciously.

"You're my best friend." He shrugged, a small smile pulling at his lips.

"I'm your best friend?" I grinned, turning my eyes up towards his, watching the fiery spark glimmer.

"Of course you are. I'm obsessed with you."

I laughed again, covering my face with both hands to hide the blush that I knew was coming.

"Don't." He chuckled, pulling my hands into his. "I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable."

"Oh, so you're not obsessed with me?"

"No, no. I am, I'm just sorry if that makes you uncomfortable." He smirked once he earned a laugh from me again. "Are you getting tired?"

I nodded slightly, not wanting to have to leave him or our perfect moment.

"Well, good news. It's past curfew and you can't leave."

"I can sneak." I argued, knowing I didn't want that any more than he seemed to.

"Or you can stay." He said, his voice low despite us being one of the last few people left.

"Your roommates are going to be annoyed with me."

"They wont, and I wouldn't care if they were."

I hesitated, thinking of how long it would take me to sneak back down to the Hufflepuff dorms.

"Stay." He whispered. "I miss waking up next to you."

I bit my lip as I smiled, feeling the butterflies flutter around my stomach.

"Okay." I replied quietly.

"Okay?" His eyes lit up and he jumped off the couch, pulling me up with him, bending slightly to pull me over his shoulder, ignoring my hushed requests to put me down. "I would, but you might change your mind!"

I clapped a hand over my mouth, holding in my laughter as he kicked the door open with his foot, letting us through the dark room and dropping me to his bed.

"Here," He rummaged through his drawers, pulling out a pair of red flannel checkered pants that I had seen him wear around the house last summer. "I know you get cold."

"Cause you're in the draftiest part of the school." I whispered back, holding the pants in my hands as I watched him, waiting for him to turn around.

"I'm gonna brush my teeth." He said, heading to the bathroom. I sat for a moment once he had closed the door, taking a deep breath and biting back a smile.

I shouldn't keep doing this. Whatever we were doing. Sleeping in the same bed, letting him play with my hair, it all felt good in the moment, perfect in the moment. But the second he left, I knew all I would feel was confused. Stupid. Alone.

I shook my head, attempting to clear those thoughts, standing up and pulling my leggings off, replacing them with Fred's pajamas which were so long they covered my feet.

Fred emerged from the bathroom not a second after I had gotten dressed, walking over to me in the dark. He was wearing only a pair of dark sweatpants, the moonlight shining on the rest of his exposed skin. Once he was close enough to me, he tugged the two strings hanging from my pants and I let myself be pulled closer to him. He looked down, hopefully not realizing that I hadn't taken a breath since he'd come out of the bathroom, and tied the strings into a tight bow.

"Bed." He pointed and I nodded, crawling in and snuggling beneath the blankets, feeling the warmth of his skin as he joined me. The two of us dropped back onto his pillow and I sighed happily.

"Goodnight, Cassy." He muttered, snaking a hand around my waist and pulling me into his back so I could feel his breath against my ear, his fingers running small circles over my exposed skin above his pajama pants.

a/n: this chapter and the next are my favs i've written so far, I hope you like them!!! I've been trying to save them / spread the updates out but I can't wait I'm too impatient

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.4M 235K 100
❛And do you know what's the stupidest thing about this?❜ said Draco and made an aggressive step towards me. ❛That after all this,❜ he grasped my fore...
85.7K 2.2K 90
"Whatever memories and moments define who you are or who you want to be, this one was among his." _ The second Sarah McCauley stepped over the thresh...
931K 19.2K 124
"I promised myself to never fall in love again, even if that leaves me to be alone for the rest of my existence. I don't really see the point now you...
1.9M 21.7K 124
DRACO LOVE STORY. Smut, strong language, some mature content! Juliet has had everything in her life handed to her from the start. Gorgeous. Talente...