๐€ ๐๐€๐‹๐‹๐€๐ƒ ๐Ž๐… ๐๐ˆ๐“๐“...

By Unlock-Your-Mind

" TO THE STARS THE MOON PLEADED STAY. " In which the heirs of two broken kingdoms fight to restore... More

๐•ฌ ๐•ญ๐€๐‹๐‹๐€๐ƒ ๐•บ๐… ๐•ญ๐ˆ๐“๐“๐„๐‘ ๐•ฒ๐‹๐Ž๐‘๐˜
๐•พ๐Ž๐”๐๐ƒ๐“๐‘๐€๐‚๐Š
๐•ฒ๐‘๐€๐๐‡๐ˆ๐‚ ๐•ฒ๐€๐‹๐‹๐„๐‘๐˜
๐•ฐ๐๐ˆ๐†๐‘๐€๐๐‡
๐•ฌ๐‚๐“ ๐•บ๐๐„ โ€• ๐’‚๐’ˆ๐’† ๐’๐’‡ ๐’“๐’–๐’Š๐’๐’”
๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ. the fall of gil-galad
๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ. the road goes ever on and on
๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ. a brave heart
๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ‘. the valley of imladris
๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ’. swords and pencils
๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ“. battle scars
๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ”. my mother told me
๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ•. a taste of freedom
๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ–. the weight of a promise
๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ—. a test of strength
๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ. anarinya
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ. these sunlit days
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ. the stars pleaded
๐•ฌ๐‚๐“ ๐•ฟ๐–๐Ž โ€• ๐’‚๐’ˆ๐’† ๐’๐’‡ ๐’”๐’‰๐’‚๐’…๐’๐’˜
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ‘. whispers of a shadow
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ’. splintered
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ“. ancient evils
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ•. where no one goes
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ–. the mountain's wrath
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ—. teeth and claw
๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ. into the dark
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ. the mines of moria
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ. to hurt or heal
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ‘. silhouettes
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ’. the golden woods
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ“. duty unto death
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ”. this heart of mine
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ•. words of the wise
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ–. around the riverbend
๐Ÿ๐Ÿ—. a sign of breaking
๐Ÿ‘๐ŸŽ. bitter glory
๐•ฌ๐‚๐“ ๐•ฟ๐‡๐‘๐„๐„ โ€• ๐’‚๐’ˆ๐’† ๐’๐’‡ ๐’‚๐’๐’ˆ๐’–๐’Š๐’”๐’‰
๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ. to catch a night terror
๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ. broken hopes
๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘. still breathing
๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ’. old strength
๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ“. death favors no man
๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ”. wherever you stray
๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ•. of herbs and stewed rabbit
๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ–. road to ruin
๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ—. the cost of war
๐Ÿ’๐ŸŽ. this pain demands
๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ. honour and allegiance
๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ. breaching the walls
๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ‘. darkest of nights
๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ’. and still, we stand

๐Ÿ๐Ÿ”. those who came before

1.5K 85 92
By Unlock-Your-Mind

°∴,*⋅✲✦ ( ♕ ) ✦✲⋅*,∴°

━━━━ »•» act two. age of shadow

16. those who came before «•« ━━━━

* ✧                          .°

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ third age ━━ year 3018

𓇻 eriador; imladris {rivendell}

*.                          ✦                           °.

AUTUMN BREEZE CAME IN THROUGH THE OPEN WINDOWS OF THE ROOM, SOFTLY RUSTLING THE MAP SPREAD OUT ON THE TABLE BEFORE HER. Elgarain wasn't sure the chills on her arm were caused by the wind or by the sight of the journey ahead of them. Black lines of ink created mountains, rivers, forests and together they formed Middle-Earth, their home, the very place they were fighting to protect. Many of the places Elgarain was familiar with, others she wished to visit one day but their route would not lead her there. They would head east, towards the heart of darkness and poison. The one place she wished to never set foot in was the very place they were heading to.

She couldn't help but wonder if her father had the same fears before marching from Lindon. If the same growing darkness had been gnawing at his heart, the same fear of his people, of losing his kin to the Lord of the Ring. She wished the thought of him could bring her peace instead of pain. After all, he and his allies had defeated Sauron that day. Perhaps this Fellowship could finish what they started. But as her eyes examined the long journey awaiting them and considered the many dangers ahead of them, that wish seemed like nothing more than a silly day dream.

There were many different roads they could take but the question was, which ones were safe? It seemed like everyone had a different opinion on the matter...

"The safest route would be to take the Gap of Rohan," Boromir said, following the road on the map from Rivendell to Rohan with his fingers. "Then make west for my city. We can rest there, strike at Sauron from a place of strength."

Gandalf took a long drag from his pipe. "Our best chance lies in secrecy. The Gap of Rohan takes us too close to Isengard."

A small frown appeared on Boromir's face. He clearly didn't agree but Gandalf's argument was too strong to argue with. They had to avoid the eyes of the White Wizard and his spies. Elgarain didn't blame him. Part of her wished their journey would take them through Lindon. She wished to know her kingdom was safe and her people protected. But she also knew thinking of home would distract them from the true purpose of their quest. The only way to truly protect their lands was to leave them behind and set out towards Mordor.

"If we're putting our hope in secrecy we should take the Mines of Moria," Gimli spoke up. "Underground we're out of sight from unfriendly eyes."

Her skin crawled in discomfort at the mere thought of having to walk in the darkness beneath the mountain, without the sky above her...But that was not the only reason Elgarain feared going into those mines. No one heard from the Dwarves of Moria for a long time. She wasn't even sure anyone knew if they were still alive. She admired Gimli for having hope that they were but she wasn't willing to risk the fate of this quest on the optimism of one person. And it seemed like she wasn't the only one.

"But Moria will put us in sight of other things," Legolas spoke, his gaze dark as he eyed the Dwarf. "We should avoid those mines."

Aragorn sighed, as if he'd been hoping to avoid this very argument. He placed his hands on the table as he studied the map. "That leaves the Pass of Caradhras."

Gimli choked on the pipe he'd been smoking, coughing loudly. When he finally caught his breath, he managed to spit: "That Mountain is evil. My kin have named it The Cruel for the many lives we lost in its blizzards."

"Aragorn is right," Gandalf said, his voice stern. "We must take the Pass of Caradhras."

Gyda spoke up from beside her. "We can make camp at Hollin Ridge, it marks the northern border of the lost Elven Kingdom of Eregion. We'll be protected from wandering eyes there before we make for the mountains." She turned to face Elgarain, clearly waiting for her opinion.

The Queen of Lindon didn't think her opinion was that valuable. After all, she'd never traveled that far south. Though, as she studied the map, it seemed to her like there only was one choice. And so, she nodded. "It seems like the safest option."

Gimli scoffed. "Safe? That mountain will end us all."

"I'd rather trudge through the snow than face the darkness of those mines," Elgarain said, trying her hardest to sound calm but her voice trembled with held back frustration anyway. She realized she was still carrying a certain amount of anger towards the Dwarf for his comments on her rule during the council yesterday. She also realized it was vital for her to set those feelings aside for the sake of this quest, but so far she hadn't quite managed to do so.

"There has been no word from the dwarves of Moira for ages, whatever we may find may put us all in danger. We cannot risk the Ring falling in the wrong hands." Gyda added, as if sensing Elgarain's dented pride.

The dwarf narrowed his beady eyes as he regarded the elves. "No one can defeat us in our own mines."

"Your people once lost Erebor, who's to say Moira has not met a similar fate?" Gyda spat, and Elgarain winced internally at her harsh choice of words.

"Enough," Gandalf spoke, he barely had to raise his voice and yet it seemed to cut through the air like a sword. "If we bicker amongst ourselves, the quest has already failed."

Taking a deep breath, Gyda faced the dwarf again, "Apologies Master Dwarf. What happened was a tragedy, I should not have brought it up. But it does not take away from the fact that the most protected route takes us through the Pass of Caradhras."

"It's settled then," Aragorn said, eyes still focused on the map.

For a moment silence lingered in the room, as the reality of the odds of their journey slowly settled one everyone. Not only would they face the enemies' servants but since they were leaving during the winter, the weather might not be on their side either. And climbing a mountain as cruel as the Redhorn would not make their journey any more pleasant.

Inhaling deeply, Elgarain decided to put an end to their somber pondering and simply ask what they were all reluctant to know. "When do we depart?"

"We have to wait for Elladan and Elrohir to return," Gandalf replied. "Lord Elrond sent them out with a hunting party, looking for signs of the Nine and to scout the roads ahead."

A shiver crawled down her spine at the mention of the Nazgul. She knew the tidal wave Lord Elrond called upon couldn't have killed them and yet she'd hoped it would've at least weakened them enough to not show up for a while. It also meant the true time of departure was still unknown, which only added to her ever growing fears and dread.

Gyda turned to face their smallest companion, who'd been notably quiet during their discussion. "Have you and your friends ever fought with a sword, Frodo Baggins?"

The Hobbit fiddled nervously with the necklace holding the One Ring. And despite the Ring being hidden beneath the cloth of his shirt, Elgarain felt herself shift uncomfortably in her chair.

"No," Frodo eventually replied.

"Then we shall train before we depart," Gyda decided.

"You would have been better off answering yes," Elgarain told Frodo with a small smile. "She is not known for her gentle tactics."

The Elflings Gyda had been training back in Mithlond would probably agree with her words. But Elgarain also knew that she trusted no one else to train the future warriors of her country. And so she could picture no one better to get the Hobbits ready for all they might encounter out there.

"I'm not one for teaching gentle souls." Gyda countered.

Elgarain's smile widened. "Then I must apologize, because these Hobbits have proven to possess far braver souls than I ever will."

Frodo hung his head shyly at the compliment.

"You're brave Tarinya, your footwork just needs a lot of work." Gyda jested before turning towards the others gathered around the table. "I shall be in need of assistance to teach all the hobbits." Her gaze flickered from Aragorn to Boromir. "Either of you will do."

Boromir, who'd been watching the exchange between Elgarain and Gyda with fond amusement (as though it reminded him of someone from a distant past), was the first to reply. "I have some experience with teaching the ways of the sword. I will assist you, my Lady."

"Thank you, Boromir. We shall meet at dawn." She turned to face the Hobbit once again. "Please inform your friends, Master Baggins."

"Yes Milady."

And so, their meeting ended. With one last determined nod, Gyda took her leave. She was followed by Boromir as they discussed training tactics. Elgarain was about to leave as well, wanting to start packing all the necessary medicine and healing equipment she'd needed for the journey. But as she walked to the door, she could feel someone's eyes resting on her.

She looked over her shoulder and noticed Aragorn watching her, looking as though he wanted to talk. He was about to walk over to her and suddenly Elgarain felt sick. And so, before she even fully thought it through, she raised her voice and called out to the only other Elf left in the room.

"Legolas? A word?"

Aragorn halted in his movements as Legolas made his way over to her. The way Legolas' blue eyes strayed to the Ranger didn't go unnoticed by her. He most definitely realized something was going on and for a moment she wondered how much he knew about their history. After all, he and Aragorn had been friends for a long time. Elgarain decided it didn't matter, at least this way she'd prevented having to talk to Aragorn for a little while longer.

She made her way out into the hallway, her green dress trailing behind her. Legolas walked by her side; his hands folded on his back as he walked.

"I wanted to make sure there is no..." She considered her words. "Ill will between Mirkwood and Lindon. Gandalf is right, we can't afford to argue amongst ourselves on this journey."

Legolas frowned, pondering her words. "I realize my father has not shown his support for your rule but I do hope you know his judgment is not supported by all of us. Myself included."

She came to a halt on one of the balconies, looking out over the river flowing in the depths beneath them. With her eyes focused on the waters she wondered if she should bring up Gyda and all the questions she still had about what happened between the two of them. But she didn't wish to discuss her history with Aragorn either and so it hardly seemed fair to do the same to her friend.

"I've discovered a country is represented by the ideals of its ruler," she said instead, looking back at the blonde Ellon in front of her. "And as heir to the throne you must've discussed this with your father."

A small sigh left his lips. "I've tried, Tári Elgarain, but my father isn't easily persuaded."

She offered him a reassuring smile. "Please there is no need for pleasantries. With the dangers ahead of us I hardly think our titles matter anymore."

Her smile was mirrored on his face and Elgarain could easily see how Gyda had become so affected by the Prince of Mirkwood. "Then we are in agreement, Elgarain. And I truly am sorry we haven't met before. Even the small amount of information that reached us told us about the kingdom of Lindon thriving."

"I'm sorry too," she said, then, unable to resist, she added: "I had hoped the delegation Lord Elrond sent would mend our relations."

At the mention of Gyda's time in Mirkwood, Legolas' smile faded, no matter how hard he tried to hide it, Elgarain could spot the regret in his blue eyes. He opened his mouth but she spoke faster.

"It's alright, I won't tell anyone if you promise not to tell anyone either."

He frowned slightly but as he watched her, a teasing smile appeared on his lips. "Ah," he said softly as realization settled. "Is that the reason you wished to speak with me?"

Heat rose to her cheek and she quickly looked away from him. "I just-" She took a deep breath, deciding trying to hide her feelings would not help the situation in any way. "I'm just not ready to reopen that wound again. Not when I was just starting to heal."

Legolas leaned his arms on the banister, smiling wistfully. "I understand, more than you know."

It was only when she heard the ache in his voice that she truly realized how deeply Gyda and Legolas were connected. And for a moment she wondered if her friend had experienced the very same thing she had. The meeting of souls, forever connected to each other, even if fate dictated a different path...She took a shaky breath, suddenly desperate to lift the tension that had settled between them. "Well then, let's agree to always provide each other with the distraction we need."

His eyes sparked with mischief, making him look younger, a prince without the weight on his shoulders he currently carried. "Agreed."

She smiled at him, then gathered her skirts and bowed her head. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I must gather the necessary healing equipment for our journey."

He bowed his head in return, watching her as she left and he remained standing on the balcony.

Elgarain made her way through the hallways, heading for the Healing Rooms. Her heart felt strangely lighter after her conversation with the Mirkwood Prince. She had expected him to share his father's opinions, thinking she wasn't good enough to lead Lindon, to carry on her father's legacy. But he'd proved her wrong and instead she'd discovered a companion. Someone who shared her pain and worries. It wouldn't make the journey easier, but it gave her hope she might just make it through.

She'd almost reached the Healing Rooms when someone called out her name. She turned around and watched as Lord Elrond made his way towards her, a warm smile on his face. But despite his kindness, Elgarain could easily spot the weight lingering in his eyes.

"If you're not too busy, I'd like a word," the Lord of Rivendell said softly.

She nodded. "Of course."

Together they made their way to his study and when she stepped inside a wave of nostalgia hit her. The many hours she'd spend here, learning, studying and practicing had made these walls feel like home. She hadn't even realized how much she'd missed the room until stepping foot in it again.

It hadn't changed much in the years she'd been gone. Except for a few new books added to the already extensive collection, the room was still as she remembered it, a haven.

"Elgarain, the journey ahead of you will not be an easy one," Lord Elrond began, his friendly smile exchanged for a worried frown. "But you've proven to be resilient. You've learned to be responsible and to rule with both wisdom and kindness. Your father would be very proud of you."

Her heart glowed in her chest as she tried to contain her giddy smile. Hearing her former mentor praise her process filled her with a pride she hadn't felt before.

"Which is why, I'm gifting you this for your journey."

She watched with wide eyes as he lifted his hand and took off the ring he'd carried with him in secret all these years. Vilya glittered in the palm of his hand like a small star. He held it out for her to hold but suddenly she was frozen.

"This ring is your inheritance," Lord Elrond spoke, sensing her hesitation. "It will guide your hand when you heal the wounded and it will help you preserve all that is good in this world."

She shook her head. "I-I cannot accept this."

His kind smile returned and for a moment, it was as though she was looking at a reflection of her father. Her heart ached with the familiar sting of grief but she managed to suppress the pain. Because she realized that Elrond missed her father too and was gifting her with the last thing he'd left of his former mentor.

So, she reached out and placed the ring on her finger. A feeling of warmth and comfort embraced her, as though she'd been placed beneath a blanket. It was as if the ring sensed a familiar presence and accepted it like one might greet an old friend.

"May it protect you on your journey," Lord Elrond spoke.

Vilya flickered as if promising that it would, indeed, protect her. 

°∴,*⋅✲✦ ( ♕ ) ✦✲⋅*,∴°

𝕬𝐔𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐑'𝐒 𝕹𝐎𝐓𝐄 . . .

New chapter has arrived! Not really sure how I feel about this one though. I feel like this isn't my best work but I hope you guys enjoyed it anyway. Please leave some comments if you did :)

Elgarain has finally been gifted Vilya, one of the three elven rings which Celebrimbor gave to Gil-Galad. I'm so excited to finally show you guys my ideas about the use of this ring. And of course how it will effect Elgarain, carrying such a powerful object. Can't wait to show you all what's next!

xx Nelly

ELVISH TRANSLATIONS:

Tári ― Queen

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

86.1K 2.9K 49
The last battle will happen soon. so many things will happen for Niphredil and she will feel Sauron's power more. Can she survive? will they win the...
2.5K 87 34
In the dark forest of Mirkwood, shadows are growing, again and again. The leaves are becoming black, as the roots, and as the trees. Birds are not si...
10.9K 485 16
in which the witch of the wilds has spent her whole life avoiding the prophecised true king of gondor until he shows up on her doorstep with four hob...
78K 4.7K 43
Frodo was meant to be the Ring-bearer. But when he falls under Sauron's control and vanishes before Elrond's council, where does that leave the Fello...