Savior | Klaus Mikaelson

By SprintingFox

She was their protector, because they were all she had. She returned to Mystic Falls solely to help them, and... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Final Author's Note

Chapter 64

2.4K 76 19
By SprintingFox

The house was full the next morning.

It felt like every single person Maddy knew in New Orleans had shown up. All the Mikaelson siblings, plus Jackson, Hayley, Cami, Marcel, Elena, Bonnie, and Jo (who had until last night been tending to Vincent Griffith, a witch much like herself who'd abandoned his magic due to past trauma).

While Klaus informed them all of what had happened, Maddy took the time to call her brothers, so that they would also be in the know.

"We're coming in two days, then," said Damon immediately. "We need today to pack everything tomorrow, 'cause we're gonna be there for a few months, but we'll be there soon, Mads."

"You don't have to rush here," she said. "I know the situation isn't secure enough for you to leave just yet—"

"It's fine," said Stefan. "Valerie can keep an eye on things with the heretics. Meredith will help her, and so will Jenna and Liv. Ric will come with us."

"Wait, what? Why Ric?"

"'Cause he's got the power of an Original vampire," said Enzo, as if it should be obvious to her. "We're gonna need that."

"And he's okay with that?"

"Well, he doesn't want to be a vampire anymore, and since Jo mentioned that power transfer spell to help you when you turn, he wants to be nearby if anything happens so that you can get that power."

"Jo still isn't sure she could do that. Transferring part of his power to me to get me back to the strength I had as a two-hundred-year-old vampire. She thinks it's possible, but—"

Damon interrupted, "You got a new sister-in-law who's a witch— they'll figure it out. Just hang tight, we'll be there soon, I promise."

Maddy managed a smile. "Thank you."

She ended the call and went into the dining room, where Klaus was apparently barking orders.

"This house must be turned into a fortress," he said firmly, planting his hand on the table. "The wolves in the Bayou will be brought here as the first line of defense, and—"

"Hang on," said Maddy, making a face. "We're not going to just command the wolves to come here. They're our allies, not our soldiers. A witch could easily hurt them. I'm not risking that."

Freya cleared her throat from the side, where she'd apparently been making some tea, and they all turned to her. "I may have an idea. The spell you described... Dahlia calls it 'kenning.' Using proxies to watch her enemies for afar. But, I've never heard of it done on quite this scale."

"That's not comforting," said Hayley worriedly. "Basically every Hurricane-chugging, boob-flashing tourist on Bourbon Street is a potential spy out to get Maddy and the baby."

Freya continued, "The good news is, I know a little about how her magic works." She gestured to the tray of many teacups full of brown liquid. "This tonic will at least prevent her from using any of us. However..." she glanced at Maddy, "these herbs can cause extreme drowsiness and fatigue, moreso than what you are already experiencing."

"I don't care, I'm drinking it," said Maddy, taking a teacup. "I won't risk her jumping into my head and making me give up my own baby. I can deal with extra sleepiness."

Everyone began to take a cup, except for Klaus, who merely stared at the tray.

Elijah sighed in annoyance. "Niklaus, is there something you wish to contribute?"

Klaus shrugged. "I prefer biscuits with my tea."

The elder brother rolled his eyes as Kol snickered off to the side. "Of course."

"Besides," continued Klaus, "our minds are far too strong to be invaded by kenning spells. No— what we experienced was a test. Dahlia's watching to see how we respond to aggression. She's preparing for battle. My guess is sooner, rather than later."

"Nik," said Maddy impatiently. "Drink the damn tea. You may be strong and invincible but it's better we leave nothing to chance. Please."

He huffed like a complete brat, and she crossed her arms. "For once, don't be the odd one out. Everyone else did it. Please, Nik. It doesn't make you weak to drink tea for once in your life."

Like a scolded child, he took a sip. A single sip, but he still drank, and Maddy was satisfied.

"We are at a disadvantage with Dahlia knowing where we are," said Elijah. "Given the immense nature of her power, we simply do not know what to expect from her. What we need is to create a new stronghold. Something that Dahlia knows nothing about. A sanctuary from any witchcraft."

"That's a fine strategy," said Freya. "I offer another— Marcel knows the locals like the back of his hand. Chances are, if allowed to enter Maddy's mind, he could recognize some of those who were tainted by the kenning spell. Using them, we could trace her magic back to its source. Find out exactly where she is."

"How about both?" offered Cami meekly. "They sound like good ideas. I don't really have much else to contribute, I have to go to work soon..."

"That's alright," said Maddy kindly. "Thank you for being here... truly."

"It's settled," said Elijah. "Elena, Rebekah, and I will find a way to make the stronghold. Freya..."

"Kol, Bonnie, and I could perform the trace of Dahlia's magic," said Freya. "Once Marcel sees if he can recognize any faces. If not, it will be harder, but not impossible."

"We'll get a few wolves to walk through the city, to see what they hear," said Hayley, looking at Jackson, who nodded. "Can we get some of those teas to go, just in case?"

Freya assented. They all turned to Klaus, who just smirked. "Off you all pop to your respective tasks. Me? I've always been of the opinion that the best defense is a good offense. So, I'm going to find a way to murder that godforsaken witch. Elena, or Kol, one of you must send me Davina's contact information."

"What for?" said Elena, scrunching up her nose as she checked the time. "She and Jeremy are probably busy right now."

Klaus didn't seem to want to mention his plan in front of Freya. "You will see." He waved his hand, indicating for them to get going.

"I have to go back to work, too," said Jo, patting Maddy's arm. "But I'll talk to Vincent when my shift is up. Maybe he knows something that can help us. Maybe, just maybe, he can get us an in with the witches here so that we can have them backing us up."

Maddy winced. "But the witches are paranoid that my child will end up killing them. Is that a good idea?"

"They're gonna have to side with us on this one. Why help Dahlia when she brings them no benefit? The Mikaelsons can protect them if need be."

"Alright. If you think it'll work. You and Vincent are already getting close, huh?"

Jo blushed. "He just understands me. It's been nice." She nodded to her before taking her leave.

Maddy waited in the dining room for almost everyone to file out, sitting still so that Marcel could go into her head and see her memory of when the possessed humans had made their appearance. He hummed as he looked through their faces, before saying, "I found one," he said. "I know where she lives, I'll go and get her. Is that all?"

"Yes," said Freya. "Bring her to us. We will prepare for the spell."

Marcel nodded, putting his arm around Cami so he could walk her to work before going to get the other woman.

"Are you worried?" asked Bonnie when she saw Maddy just wringing her hands, watching as they set out the materials for the spell.

"Yeah," she whispered. "Klaus is just putting himself in danger."

"By contacting Davina?"

"He mentioned he's gonna try to find a way to murder Dahlia. The one who was sent to get the materials that will annihilate her was Mikael. He can't track Mikael easily on his own, so he'll use Davina 'cause she's the one that resurrected him."

Bonnie winced. "Hey, don't be worried, he's strong, Mikael won't hurt him."

"And what if he does? Mikael thrives off of putting others down. He knows Ansel is alive and he'll just be extra bitter when he sees Klaus. Klaus may have the white oak but that might not be enough."

"Well, from what we've been hearing, Mikael really cares about Freya. He might be willing to set aside his anger if it means he and Klaus are working together on something that benefits both in different ways. Mikael's fighting for his daughter, and Klaus is fighting for his, even if she hasn't been born yet."

Maddy clasped her hands together, just trying to remain optimistic, even though it was really hard to be.

Once Marcel brought the woman to them, they started on their spell. She was put to sleep so that she would feel nothing, and was laid on the table shirtless, a cloth covering her breasts as Freya drew an infinity symbol on her stomach with the burned end of a sage smudge-stick. Bonnie and Kol were holding the paper that had the spell written on it, making sure they had it down before they began to perform it.

"By doing this," reiterated Freya, "we should be able to trace Dahlia's signature all the way back to the source of her power. But, I'll need to dig deep." She faced her brother. "Kol, if I may channel you?"

He assented, giving her his hand. Bonnie put her hand on the woman's head, apparently in charge of keeping her from feeling any discomfort throughout the process.

"Inveniere potencia reparon malifica," chanted the two Mikaelson siblings. Bonnie started to whisper her own spell, keeping the woman's body from twitching. Maddy and Marcel stood off to the side, just watching intently and hoping it would work.

Suddenly, Kol ripped his hand away from Freya. "What the bloody hell was that?" he snapped.

Freya looked confused. "What do you mean?"

"I just had a vision of Dahlia holding your shoulder." He narrowed his eyes. "She's channeling you. She's been channeling you this whole time. No wonder she found the house so easily! She tracked you down!"

Freya's eyes widened, and she looked at Maddy, quite panicked. "I had no idea!" she said shakily.

Maddy believed her. Bonnie and Kol had both immediately moved in front of her, as if to protect her from Freya, but the woman pushed between them, and went to stand in front of her.

"All of you," she said, looking around, "we're not telling Klaus. We're just gonna have to find a way to break this channeling spell."

Freya was stunned. "You're not angry?"

"I may not be able to hear your heartbeat anymore, and I may not be as gifted as Rebekah when it comes to this, but I can tell when someone's lying, and I think you genuinely didn't know. Dahlia was going to find us anyway. So now, we just work through it. Please tell me there's a way to stop her from channeling you. Because you can't still be connected to her when they move me to the stronghold, or she'll just find me there, too."

"I don't think this is the sort of thing that can be broken," said Bonnie honestly, looking at Kol for confirmation. He assented, and she continued, "Based on what you mentioned regarding the spell that keeps you all young and alive... it's what holds the spell in place. That link between you two. A balance, to make sure it never fades. The only one who can break that spell is her, because she anchored it the longest."

"Not to mention," added Kol, "that with those kinds of linking spells, the only way to break them is if one of the people involved dies. Either you or Dahlia would need to die for that spell to be terminated. I don't think this can be undone."

"Then I cannot go to the stronghold, no matter what," said Freya. "Wherever it ends up being, I will not go near it, lest I lead Dahlia straight to you."

"Thank you," said Maddy gently.

"Another option," said Kol pensively. "We could attempt to mute Maddy's signal and Freya's as well. Bounce it off of different places, do our best to make them both untraceable." He watched as Maddy sat down, the effects of the tea starting to sink in. "We'll work on that, then. No use tracing Dahlia's magic until we can ensure that she can't trace ours."

Maddy took a nap while they worked. Marcel stood guard outside her room, every now and then listening in to make sure she was still breathing, and the baby's heartbeat was still firm. Downstairs the three witches were still brainstorming, not entirely sure what they could do. In the meantime, he was thinking of different safehouses he could take Maddy to, if need be. He had already learned from Elijah what his plans were for the stronghold, but Marcel wasn't sure it would be sufficient.

He heard her whimpering at one point, and quickly dashed into the room, only to find that she was merely struggling to sit up.

"I got you," he said, helping her roll onto her side, then hoisting her into a seated position. "You alright?"

"Just tired," she said, stifling a yawn into her palm. "Any progress with the spell?"

"Not yet, but they're close. Elijah says Vincent Griffith convinced the Regent of New Orleans to help them with creating the stronghold. I'll be taking you there at nine today, so if you're not too tired, I'd say you start packing whatever you think you need to take."

She nodded. "Mkay." She stood, stretching her arms before going to get her suitcase, beginning to fold the clothes she'd need.

A little while later, they heard Freya leaving the house, presumably to test whether the spell was working. Maddy could hear a muffled conversation between Bonnie and Kol, but wasn't able to make out what they were saying. She hoped it was nothing bad.

"You're still really drowsy," noted Marcel when he saw her rubbing her eyes over and over again. "How about I pack, and you sleep a bit more?"

She shook her head. "No, you don't have to do..." she covered her mouth as she yawned again, "that."

"It's alright, I don't mind it. You need your rest. The kid is practically my sister. I want her to be healthy, and the best way for that to happen is for you to take it easy. We're handling everything."

She hummed, laying back down as she watched him folding her clothes neatly for her. "What does that make me? If the baby is your sister."

"You're family," he said, shrugging. "Thinking of you as my stepmom would be really weird. Klaus was like a father figure to me but he wasn't my father."

"He loves you, you know. Even if he doesn't know how to show it. You're his pride and joy. He sees you and he's proud of what you became, all on your own."

Marcel chuckled lightly. "Nah... I don't really think so. He's jealous, he just won't admit it."

"He was at first, I know that. But he isn't anymore. He's moved past it. He's just happy to be able to see you again. You should hear how he talks about you."

The man faltered. "He talks about me?"

"All the time. He used to be worried that you'd hurt me, and instead, you've been protecting me and bringing me food all the time. He admires it. He tells me stories all the time from when you were younger. I think, to remind himself of the last time he was a parental figure for someone. I know he wasn't the best father figure, I know he messed up a lot of things. But it gives him hope to see the way you turned out, despite having had him as a father. He's so worried he'll be just like Mikael, it's like he needs to remember that he wasn't like Mikael with you."

Marcel half-smiled. "He's changed a lot since then. Your daughter's gonna have a good dad. No matter how bad it might've been, Klaus wasn't abusive with me, he encouraged me. Were they the best methods? Maybe not. But I didn't have a mother figure who kept him from getting too creative with his parenting methods. You'll keep him in check, I know it. Your little girl is gonna be a lucky one. Just know I'll always protect her. No matter what." He patted her shoulder. "Now get some sleep. I'll try to be quiet."

"Thank you," she murmured, before curling up and taking another nap.

She didn't wake til much later, when the house was silent. She heard nothing, and when she sat up, she saw the lights outside were off. She nearly jumped out of her skin when Marcel walked in, just as she was exiting the room.

"Fucking hell," she said, patting her chest. "I thought the house was empty."

"Nah, Cami and I are here," he said. "She's downstairs getting something to eat. It's almost nine, we'll be driving you to the stronghold soon. Jo's waiting for you there."

"Where is it? Is it far?"

"Nope, it's a jazz club in Algiers called the St. James Infirmary. Inside, magic doesn't work, so Dahlia won't be able to get to you there."

She nodded. "Okay... well, where did everyone go?"

He pursed his lips. "Dahlia confronted Freya. Nothing happened, but she did imply she was gonna hurt Klaus and Mikael, so they all went to deal with that."

Maddy paled. "When did you last hear from them?"

"An hour ago. But—" he put his hands on her shoulders when he saw her starting to panic, "the whole crew is there. Well, most of them anyway. Jo and Elena are making the St. James nice and cozy for you. The others went to confront Dahlia."

She had to force herself to be okay with the lack of information. Surely everything would be just fine.

She hadn't been able to fall asleep again, even once she'd settled into her bed at the St. James Infirmary. She was waiting and waiting, listening to Jo and Elena downstairs, assuming that she was resting, when really, she was going through all the different awful scenarios that could go down. What if Klaus didn't survive?

And then, suddenly, he was sitting next to her, and she pulled him into a tight hug.

"Are you okay?" she asked frantically. "What happened? Is Dahlia dead?"

He shook his head, disappointed. "Our weapon was useless. She destroyed it."

"Oh my god. Please don't tell me you used up all the materials Mikael got..."

"We did. However, we have procured more. Kol is testing a theory as well, to ensure we have the right ingredients."

"And why wouldn't you—?"

"He reckons Esther's blood may be what is needed, not Freya's. He recalls hearing from our mother herself that Dahlia felt Esther had betrayed her by choosing to abandon magic and start a family. If he is right, then we will need to resurrect Esther to take her blood."

"Wait, what? But surely there's... there's a science to this! Couldn't they get your blood and say, Elijah's, and isolate the similar parts— the parts you share from your mother?"

He shook his head. "It wouldn't work, love."

"Well, how are they going to bring her back? Kol said they need a Nexus Vorti to put him back in his witch body. So how on Earth—?"

"Vincent Griffith may be able to help connect us with the Regent of New Orleans once more. My mother was consecrated, and her power flows through the veins of every witch in this city."

"Okay, so that's good, right? You can resurrect her real body then transfer her soul from the vampire body to..." she trailed off when she saw him avert his gaze. "What is it, Nik?"

"Freya killed her," said Klaus.

Maddy threw her hands in the air. "Are you kidding me? Why do we have the most rotten luck ever? I should have expected it. Esther literally gave her away. I have enough murderous thoughts about my mother and she didn't give me away, she just doesn't talk to me, the wretched bitch... what about Mikael? Was he being bitchy today?"

Klaus pursed his lips. "Mikael is dead. I killed him."

Maddy immediately put her hand on his. "Did he say something?"

"I asked him why he despised me. He said he didn't know. He just did. And, as the Viking ash had been used up... I figured murdering him would generate more. I've hid the ashes from my siblings. Freya is furious, as expected."

"Well, she didn't see the evil side to Mikael so... I guess it makes sense that she took it harder. Jeez. I missed a lot. I was sleeping like a baby and you guys were keeping real busy." She checked the time. "My brothers will be here soon. They're heading to the airport now, and the flight they got has a stop, so they'll arrive in around four hours. They're coming straight here to keep me company, because Jo has to work, and Bonnie and Elena can't miss any more classes." She started to yawn again. "I'm still so tired. I think I might just curl up again."

"I'll be downstairs, then, love, to keep guard and to let you sleep in peace. Soon, however, I will have to return to the Compound, to ensure Kol's spell is working to keep Dahlia from tracking you."

"Just go with Kol now, make sure it's working, then come back and spend the night with me. Pretty please?"

"Are you certain? Jo and Elena are leaving now, I can hear them."

"Yeah, it won't take long, right?" She kissed him. "I'll be waiting up for you."

Klaus put his hand on her stomach just as the baby kicked. "I will return shortly. Don't give your mother a hard time." He pecked her lips again before dashing out.

Maddy decided that to keep awake, she ought to move. She went downstairs, humming and examining the different non-alcoholic drinks they had, settling for some orange juice. There was a cracking noise that made her turn her head to the open door, which looked into the alley right outside the building. Vines were sprouting all over the walls, which she found odd, until she suddenly saw a black dahlia blooming right at the entrance.

Immediately, she ducked behind the bar, bringing out her phone and starting to call Klaus. "No, no, no," she whispered, seeing the call wasn't going through. "Why aren't you working?!"

"Madeleine."

A woman was calling out to her.

"Madeleine," she repeated, as the other woman remained behind the bar. "I know you are in there. Come out, so that we may talk."

Still, Maddy didn't dare emerge. Dahlia couldn't come in, or she'd lose her powers. She just had to play dumb and wait for Klaus to come back.

"If you are waiting for someone to rescue you, you will be waiting awhile."

She wasn't sure what Dahlia meant, so she just kept still.

"It was quite easy to create a barrier spell over the Compound. Breaking it will not be easy. They cannot leave. Not yet. Not in time. I will not be stopped when it comes to obtaining what is mine. There is no reason we cannot be civil about this. Come out, and we will get going."

As if that would make her concede. Maddy knew that surrendering would just leave her prisoner for the next two months while they waited for the baby to be born.

Suddenly, she heard the click of heels inside. Immediately, she scrambled up, swiping her hand over the bar and grabbing a bottle opener that had been left out. Where the hell were the knives when one needed them?

The woman was taller than her, perhaps only due to the high-heeled boots she wore. Her hair and eyes were dark, and she had a cruel expression that made Maddy hold the bottle opener tighter in her hand.

"You don't have an advantage in here," said Maddy sharply. "In here you're nothing but an old woman."

"And you're only a pregnant human," mused Dahlia. "Forgive me for stating the obvious, my dear, but are you not powerless as well?"

"I have fighting experience you never thought to get, because you always relied on magic. I never had that. So, in here, I'm the one in control, not you."

Dahlia tsked, looking down at her belly. "If you overexert yourself, you'll only complicate matters. Come now, let us get going. We have a long journey ahead of us."

"I'm not going anywhere with you," said Maddy sharply, before swirling the bottle opener through the air, managing to lodge it in Dahlia's throat. The witch immediately gagged, grabbing at her neck, and Maddy bolted upstairs, knowing that it would be foolish to try and go outside through the main exit that Dahlia came from. She had to find another way out, where she'd be able to get a headstart.

She didn't hear anyone pursuing her, so she figured Dahlia had had to stumble back outside to heal. She started to open the windows, seeing the other rooftops were too far away. But maybe, just maybe, she could get cell signal up here. She held out her phone, moving it around to try and see if the calls to Klaus would go through. If she could find out exactly who was and who wasn't trapped in the house, she could know who she needed to contact.

Suddenly, she leapt back as vines of black dahlias started to climb up the building, reaching for her like arms, though their progress stopped when they started entering the building, as if they'd reached the borders of the spell that had been placed to stop all magic.

"Madeleine."

She whirled around to see Dahlia had come back. This time, she was the one holding a knife. Clearly, she'd found the silverware drawer.

"Don't be absurd," said Dahlia. "You're only hurting the child by trying to fight your way out of here physically. I do not intend to harm you."

"I won't be your prisoner," she sneered. "And neither will my daughter."

Dahlia came closer, so close that Maddy was left with nowhere to run. The knife was really only for show, because Dahlia tossed it aside the instant she was able to grab onto Maddy's neck, yanking her back to the stairs.

"NO!" screamed Maddy, swatting at her and trying to get her to let go. But her grip was more firm than she thought. "LET ME GO! You—"

"Stop fighting," chided Dahlia. "You're going to hurt yourself."

"If I die, I go down with a fucking fight, I'm not going to just let you hurt my baby!"

At last, Dahlia reached the entrance, and once outside, Maddy felt an invisible force keeping her in place.

"You are far too uncooperative," said Dahlia coldly. "I won't tolerate two more months of this. I must get the child before anyone can come and save you. What a pity it is, that they will be too late."

Maddy let out a sudden gasp, feeling a tightness in her stomach. "No," she whispered. "What are you doing? What is— AHH!" She sank to her knees, keeping her thighs pressed tightly together as she felt liquid leaking out. "No! No, no, no— stop! STOP! It's too soon, she's not ready to be born yet!"

Dahlia didn't care. "I will have that child today. Even if I have to rip it out of you myself."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

158K 6.4K 66
One seemed to know everything about love, while the other couldn't claim any experience with it. What was supposed to be a brief trip to Mystic Falls...
193K 6.8K 57
Backstabbing, bickering, butchery, repeat. It took a werewolf to bring the Mikaelsons together in the place where hellfire had rained, back when they...
35.5K 1.6K 28
The Mikaelsons had been royalty in New Orleans, but the youngest among the group of apex predators didn't think this enough, and dedicated her life t...
641K 15.6K 61
Rory Forbes, Caroline Forbes' sister, never knew what she was walking into when she came back to Mystic Falls. She had no idea about everything that...