A Mob Boss's Honour

Από royal888

This is the story of many mob families. It is set in the 1950s. There are many families involved in the crim... Περισσότερα

Author's Note
Family Tree
1. Family Life
2. The Party
3. Social Time
4. Date Night
5. Challenge
6. True Danger
7. Outrage
8. Changes
9. School
10. Understanding
11. Encounter
12. Allies
13. Surprises
14. School & Home Life
16. Phoenix
17. Relationship Drama
18. Sounds & Cars
19. Lost Love
20. The New Joiners
21. Girl Talk
22. Rose's Secrets
23. Affairs
24. Bianchi Mansion
25. Vigilante
26. Young Minds
27. Teenage Plans
28. Sports Time
29. Responsibility
30. Being Closer
31. More Time Together
32. Business Calls
33. Honesty
34. Talking at the Diner
35. A Mansion in Boston
36. An Eventful Evening
37. Connections
38. Ladies' Choices
39. Collaborations
40. Hidden Feelings
41. Spaces Apart
42. Family Ties
43. Friendships
44. Reliance
45. Shocking Turn
46. Sword
47. New Days
48. Choices
49. Closer Than Brothers
50. Leaders
51. Portrait
52. Mercenary
53. Waiting
54. Star Crossed
55. Night Time Talk
56. Waves of Change
57. Dawn of New Dangers
58. Control
59. A Feud
60. Persistence
61. Fighters
62. Love is Forever

15. Literature

703 58 109
Από royal888

Gabriela was in her room reading a book. She heard a knock on the door. She called out "Come in." She saw one of the servants opening the door.

The servant said "Ma'am. Your brother has a guest. Mr Christian Kavannagh are here."

Gabriela sighed. She asked "Any news of when my brother is getting home tonight?"

The servant said "No ma'am. They were supposed to come back straight home after spending time at the restaurant. But then the plans changed when they were invited to go to the Alessandrini mansion for tea and pastry with Mrs Alessandrini."

Gabriela picked up her book and whispered to herself "Damn you Christian." She then made her way out of her room to down the stairs. Her mother would have greeted Christian instead but she had gone to have tea with Lidia Alessandrini. Gabriela had chosen to stay at home and read one of her recommended reading books from school. There was no point going to see Lena for a few hours. Her mother, Gina Bellagio was supposed to be back by now but the plans had changed now.

As the only Bellagio, Gabriela was meant to go and greet Christian. Her parents were very specific about the etiquette of receiving guests at their home. If any guest came to their home if they weren't available then her or Gianluca had to keep them company at least to make them feel welcome at their home. This was a sign of respect. They did not get many guests at their home. Whoever could step foot in the house of Bellagio had to be very close to them, be a relative or had to be of a high place in a crime family's hierarchy. Everyone else had to book appointments to see her family members at their place of work and be granted a visit. If her parents came home and saw Christian sitting alone, they would have reprimanded her and she wanted to avoid that.

Gabriela entered the living room and saw Christian sitting on a sofa as he seemed occupied looking at some the portraits on the wall. They had plenty of their single and family portraits hung on the walls. But when she entered Christian's attention turned to her as he stood up "Good evening Gabriela."

Gabriela walked to the opposite corner of the room and sat on another sofa. She opened her book and found the page where she had left a bookmark earlier on and said "Good evening Christian. What time do you call this? What is your business with Gianluca at this late hour?"

Christian sat down and stated "Gianluca had a business with me actually. He asked me to come over and hang out with him tonight after dinner to play some games perhaps. So I came."

Gabriela said "Well. I deeply regret to inform you that he is not home and he won't back anytime soon. He was supposed to return home straight after having his dinner at one of our family owned restaurants but he ended up at at Luigi's house because the Alessandrinis sent invite. Would you like to go home and come back another time perhaps or would you prefer to visit him at Luigi's house?"

Christian said "Neither option seems appealing. Gianluca invited me. So I have to see him before I leave. I can't go home. As for going to see him at Alessandrini territory, that is not a possible option. Mr grandfather's men who have brought me here won't take me there and won't let me go anywhere close to Alessandrini territory under any circumstances following my grandfather's orders."

Gabriela said "You could catch a taxi..." She knew Christian wasn't allowed to go there and he was not going to go there but she pushed this to annoy him.

Christian said calmly "I could. But then when my grandpa hears about it, he would attack the Alessandrini mansion to get me and the there will be a war. That is alright by me but I prefer to avoid a war if I have the option to wait for your brother to come back. It just seems abit extreme to me really start a war for the sake of a game of cards or billiard with your brother if you know what I mean. There are ... more worthy causes to start a war over them with the Alessandrinis." He of course was pointing to the case of Luigi ever becoming Gabriela's man. That would have been a worthy cause to declare war.

Gabriela could totally picture the consequences of such action and him going to Alessandrini territory but she did not think it would make her shudder hearing it from Christian. He said it with meaning behind each word. The way his eyes held promise when he replied to her really threw her off.

Gabriela took a deep breath and said "Alright. I get the picture... Wait for Gianluca here then and feel free to help yourself to the refreshments that the servants have left over the table for you. If you want anything else then I can help and will arrange for it." She said the words she would have said to any other guest. She then looked at her book and started reading where she had left off.

Christian stood up and chuckled. He started walking slowly towards the walls where the portraits that he had been paying his attention at the beginning were hanging on the wall. Her portraits. He said as he was looking up at the portraits and his hands were touching one of the frames. "You asked me that I should tell you if I want anything. Well. Why don't you get a pen and paper. I have got a list of things I can think of."

Gabriela was so annoyed that Christian was playing the guest card. She tried to compose herself and not let him know how much he annoyed her. She said "You have a list? Well, then I am not sure if I can fulfil a list that is very long. Come on Christian... Surely there can't be anything that you really need. You have everything you ever need. Your grandfather can get you anything you need."

Christian turned towards her and said "You did not offer to give me what I need. You offered to give me what I want."

Gabriela said "What is the difference?"

Christian said "There is a huge difference." He then thought to himself "I want these portraits of you to hang them in my room but I can't have them. I want your full attention and love. But I cant have that. I want that guy, Luigi away from you as far as possible but he has moved into your freaking school no thanks to your brother's bright idea. I can't have him fall for you. I cant have that. He is the only guy you show a side that I do not want you sharing with anyone but me. Your kind, caring and loving side. They say Luigi has his eyes on a girl now but that girl is not fully his yet. He is there with you in your school...And let's face it, it is impossible to get to know you and not to fall for you. It is only a matter of time before I lose you to him, my only worthy rival... if you do not even give me a chance to capture your heart."

Gabriela said "I do not know the difference. You have lost me there Christian. I am sorry..."

Christian said "I forgive you."

Gabriela was looking at him with her mouth open. He was so outrageous.

Christian smiled and announced "Do not worry. You do not need to get any pen or paper. I will manage without what I want... for now."

Christian was annoying but regardless, Gabriela took a sigh of relief. At least she did not need to get him anything. So she looked down at her book and carried on reading.

Christian was looking at the portraits of Gabriela. Maybe one day when she became his woman, they could have a portrait together. He then smiled at that thought and went back to sit down on the sofa. He looked at her as she was reading her book. He asked "What are you reading?"

Gabriela did not look up and said "A book."

Christian said "Does the book have a name?"

Gabriela replied "Gone with the wind..."

Christian said "That is a pretty long book... Why are you reading it? Haven't you seen the film?"

Gabriela said "Yes. It is a long book and yes I have seen the film. But I need to read it for the book club I am part of for next week."

Christian said "Who do you think truly could make Scarlet happy? Ashley Wilkes or Rhett Butler?"

Gabriela said "Christian. I have not finished the book yet."

Christian said "But you have seen the film. You must have a view on this. Was Scarlet right to hang onto someone who never loved her rather than focusing on the one who loved her unconditionally..."

Gabriela said "Well. That is what I am trying to find out when I finish the book. That is coincidently one of the topics of the debate that me and my girls are going to have at the book club next week..."

Christian said "You and your girls? Are there no guys at that book club?"

Gabriela said "In our school our book clubs are separated by genre. The book club of the genre I have chosen has no boys in it right now."

Christian said "Right..." He was content with that.

Gabriela carried on reading.

Christian said "You did not answer my question."

Gabriela said as she looked up "Christian. I told you. I have not finished reading the book yet. The impression that a book gives can be different to a movie."

Christian said "But the ending is the same pretty much. We know how she ends up in the end. Based on the film script answer my question."

Gabriela wanted to carry on reading but she knew that Christian was so stubborn. If he wanted her to answer his question he would have kept asking until she gave him an answer. Gabriela gave in. "Fine... Let me think..."

Christian said "So you have not made up your mind yet. Is that why you need to think about my question?"

Gabriela said "I guess. I need to read the book and even then I will not be able to make up my mind..."

Christian said "That is if you read the book until next week. It's a few volumes. Right?"

Gabriela sighed "You are right. If we don't manage to read the whole book we can just discuss the book to the point everyone has read and carry on with the rest of the book in the following week...I need to get reading now if you excuse me..."

Christian said "You must have some idea about the answer to my question..."

Gabriela was so frustrated "Ok. I answer you. I do not like this book. I am only reading it because my book club suggested it. I do not agree with any of the characters in the book."

Christian said "None of them?"

Gabriela had enough of his questions. She decided to tell him the truth and be perfectly honest about how she felt "No. Actually.  None of them. They are all terrible in my opinion. I can not relate to their choices at all. Scarlet goes around marrying guys for the wrong reasons and is always being unfaithful to her husband by thinking of another man. Then at the end he asked the husband who was about to leave her, "what shall she do or where shall she go", only for the guy to tell her that he does not give a damn. Who does that? I mean, she needs to have some dignity and have some respect for herself at least. What is wrong with her? Is she serious?"

Christian said "What would you do if you were in her place?"

Gabriela said honestly "Let's look at it from this century's point of view... Firstly, when I choose to marry a man, I would make sure that it is for the right reasons and I will be one hundred percent loyal to him. I would rather live alone than commit myself to a marriage where I will have eyes for another man. Secondly, I will not let my husband walk out on me. If he tries I will make him very sorry before he walks out the door. Wedding vows say till death do us part... My trust and loyalty is not given to a man just so he walks out the door to run into the arms of another woman... I will give my total loyalty and care to my husband. I would never break our marriage vows so he will never have a reason to walk away. If he is the one breaking our marriage vows and walks out, then I will make him wish he was never born..."

Christian was enjoying this conversation too much. More than he should have. She had no idea how much he loved hearing the devotion she was showing to her future husband... He had every intention to be that husband. Christian tried to hide his feelings of joy and said in a serious tone "I am pretty sure, your man will never walk away from you. I am certain the man that you choose as your husband will not be the walking away type... He would be committed. My instinct tells me that your man will be loyal. Worry not."

Gabriela could hear the promise and determination in Christian'e eyes. This was intense, the way he said it. She said "Well... I am not worried. Trust me. You just insisted on me answering your question on this frustrating book and I answered your question. Maybe this book is written in a different era and I am missing something here. Who knows? Neither the plot or the characters or the era appeal to me in any way. I am so glad I was not born in that era by the way..."

Christian asked "Then why do you read this book if you do not like the plot, characters or anything about this book?"

Gabriela said "Why? Because we pick names of books out of a hat and this one came out. I hate it but I will read it. I preferred last week's book that we discussed today." She then looked down trying to read on, hoping Christian was going to leave her in peace.

Christian nodded "I see. What was the name of the last week's book."

Gabriela sighed. Seriously? What was up with his questions. She looked at Christian "Romeo and Juliet. Do you have questions on Romeo and Juliet too or I can get back to reading Gone with the Wind?"

Christian said "I do actually. What was the topic of discussion today? What arguments did you put forward for it?"

Gabriela said "The topic was about about who do we identify as responsible for the tragedy of the love between Romeo and Juliet? Who caused their deaths.  I said the family feud was responsible for their deaths. If their families were not enemies and were not prejudiced against each other then the couple would not have died. I hope this has answered your question. It was a unanimous opinion really. So we spent discussing about what each character could have done differently. I said I do not think anyone could have or would have done anything differently. "

Christian said "Well. I think this book easily could have ended with a wedding and not a funeral even with the feud existing. The lovers did not need to die. Romeo could really go about his actions differently and succeed."

Gabriela said "Sure. Maybe. But if that was the case, then we would not be reading this book centuries on because the book would not have been a tragedy and Shakespeare may not have written this book if it was not going to be a tragedy. He is a the biggest tragedy writer ever and this is one of his best tragedy works..."

Christian said "Actually. Shakespeare wrote more works that were comedy than tragedy just so you know. The last source that I read credited Shakespeare with a total of forty-three works, of which thirteen were comedies, ten were histories, ten were tragedies, five were romances and five were poems."

Gabriela was impressed with his knowledge of facts. He was quite precise in arguing about anything and could win arguments with facts, figures, statistics, logic and predictions, you name it. If Christian was not born in a criminal family, Gabriela was sure that he would have become the president of the United States one day.  Gabriela sighed "You are right. But he wrote this play meaning for it to be a tragedy. This was meant to be a tragedy."

Christian said "It could have easily been a romance or comedy. You never know... If only Romeo did not mess up with executing his not so genius ideas, the tragedy would have never happened."

Gabriela said "You are missing the point here. The deaths of Romeo and Juliet made their families realise they were wrong to have that feud between their households. They ended their feud for them... So they died for a cause..."

Christian laughed "Sure... If you say so..."

Gabriela said with sarcasm "You know what? You have a point. Happy families is the way to go. Shakespeare should not have even bothered writing this tragedy." She then rolled her eyes. She then looked back at the book and started reading where she left off.

Christian said "It is a legitimate argument. It is an argument that you have now heard at least."

Gabriela said without looking up with sarcasm "Thank you for your great contribution to the world of literature by your spot on analysis."

Christian laughed "You are welcome..."

Gabriela shook her head and carried on reading her book.

Christian looked at the table where they had placed refreshments. He asked "Gabriela. Which one of these sweet treats do you recommend for me to try?"

Gabriela shrugged not looking up from her book "Try any of them you like. Everything was ordered fresh today from one of our bakery branches...  But I can tell you what not to try though. The apple pie was made by me..."

Christian's eyes lit up. He said "Thank you for the recommendation." He then cut a big piece and put it on a plate. He picked up a fork. He sat down and smelled the pie. It smelled great. The pie was almost warm. She may have baked it in the last hour. He sat down and cut the first piece and put it in his mouth and he went to heaven and back as the pie was melting in his mouth. He managed to finish the first piece and helped himself to a second piece.

Gabriela noticed Christian had gone quiet and she was not complaining. He was busy eating. That was a good sign. She wondered what type of sweet treat had gotten his attention. After a few minutes she looked up at Christian who was still busy eating and glanced at the table to see what was missing. She gasped. He had managed to finish the entire pie that she had made. He liked apple pie by the looks of it. Seriously?

Gabriela asked Christian "You must really like apple pie?"

Christian said "I like all deserts really. But I loved your apple pie. It was very nice." He then put the last piece of apple pie in his mouth and leaned back on the sofa.

Gabriela said "Ok." She did not know what to think. He admitted liking her baking. He did. She could not figure him out. She expected him to make a joke about her poisoning him or some similar comment now. But again he had sounded so sincere and honest.

Christian said "I hope you do not mind me eating all of it... Your homemade apple pie was the best I have ever had."

Gabriela could not hear any sarcasm in his voice. He sounded genuine. He actually was paying her a compliment. She replied dismissively "It is ok that you ate it all... I bake often..."

Christian said "You do? Since when?"

Gabriela rolled her eyes "Yes. We have a big garden as you know. Recently my mother arranged for planting trees of many variety of fruits to be grown here and we also have a green house so we get many out of season fruits coming our way too. When they started bringing fruits to our kitchens from the garden, some went to waste and I did not like that. So I decided to try making deserts with the fruits whenever I can... The deserts always get used up. Sometimes I take them to school to share with my friends at break or lunch and also my mother meets up with her friends almost everyday for business reasons or social reasons and she takes some to her meetings with her. The deserts always get used up. I also like baking. So why not? Today many apples, cherries and strawberries came to the kitchens from our gardens so I made many jars of jam and pies..."

Christian said "Can I take some home with me?"

Gabriela said "If you want... I will have them packaged up for you... You wait here." She then stood up happy to leave Christian's company and have some peace.

Christian stood up "I come too."

Gabriela sighed. Christian did not ask if he could come. He told her he was coming. He was so arrogant. He was a guest for heaven's sake. She shrugged "Alright."

Christian followed Gabriela to their large kitchen. She opened the fridge and took out pies and jars of jam. She then went to the cabinet and took out a bag.

Christian sat down on a stool in the kitchen and said "Are you giving me everything? Keep some for yourself..."

Gabriela said "It is fine Christian. I told you. I bake every day almost."

Christian looked at her as she was packaging up the baked goods.

She finished packaging the food and said "Here you are." She offered him the bag.

Christian said "Thank you." He then took the bag from her "Let's go back to the living room. We could be waiting there awhile."

//////

Thank you for reading so far. Please comment your thoughts on the story so far. What you liked and disliked about it... What do you look forward to the most?

Συνέχεια Ανάγνωσης

Θα σας αρέσει επίσης

1.4M 60.8K 80
(Highest Rank: #1 General fiction, 23rd June 2016) This is the second book in the New York Mafia Series and sequel to A Mob Boss's First Love. Please...
18.2K 883 18
This story happens at the same time as Leandro and Nicandro and Arcangelo stories. Many readers were wondering what happened with Viggo's family. Thi...
101K 4.6K 29
This is sequel to A Mob Boss's Dominance and Territory. This is a stand alone book in The New York Mafia Series. This is a teen fiction book with som...
456K 8K 44
【 𝐌𝐚𝐟𝐢𝐚 𝐃𝐨𝐧 & 𝐇𝐢𝐬 𝐃𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐥𝐲 𝐐𝐮𝐞𝐞𝐧 】 Welcome to another mafia romance book that I hope you beautiful and handsome people love and p...