The Roseview High Rumors

Autorstwa Evergreen_Ebony

⭐YA Romance Undiscovered Book of the Month [September 2022] Augusta Madueke can't wait to graduate from high... Więcej

FOREWORD
CHAPTER ONE - Augusta
CHAPTER TWO - Pedro
CHAPTER FOUR - Pedro
CHAPTER FIVE - Augusta
CHAPTER SIX - Pedro
CHAPTER SEVEN - Augusta
CHAPTER EIGHT - Pedro
CHAPTER NINE - Augusta
CHAPTER TEN- Pedro vs Augusta
CHAPTER ELEVEN - Augusta
CHAPTER TWELVE - AM/PM
CHAPTER THIRTEEN - 4 AM
CHAPTER FOURTEEN - AM and PM
CHAPTER FIFTEEN (1) - PM till Dawn
CHAPTER FIFTEEN (2) - PM till Dawn
PLAYLIST
CHAPTER SIXTEEN - AM/PM
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN - AM/PM
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
APPRECIATION

CHAPTER THREE - Augusta vs Pedro

450 91 593
Autorstwa Evergreen_Ebony

Augusta crossed her arms and faced her friend, Priya. "I'm going to tell Mr Morgan I can't do it," she said.

"I would have liked the chance to tutor Pedro," Priya admitted in a quiet voice. She slammed her locker shut, and fiddled with her security lock.

Augusta scoffed and looked at her petite, chubby friend. Priya's long black hair was in a neat ponytail braid that reached her waist, and contrasted with her golden skin. Her rosy cheeks revealed her feelings.

"Don't tell me you're a fan girl too, Priya."

"I'm not a fan girl. I'm just a sucker for redemptive arcs in character development," Priya stated, blinking her pale brown eyes.

"I should tell you that all the Brontë classics have gotten to your head, but instead I'll tell you you're going to be a great literature professor someday, Priya."

"Thank you. That means a lot to me, Augusta," she giggled. "You're not easy to please."

Augusta gave her a playful shove. "I'm not difficult to please. I just like things to be done in the right way."

"Same thing."

"No it's not."

Priya shook her head and Augusta shrugged. They stood huddled together in the hallway as a multitude of noisy students rushed to and fro. Some going from one class to another, others rushing to meet their friends. A few random lovebirds did not give a damn about public displays of affection, and exchanged passionate kisses before clinging to each other.

Augusta cringed. "That's disgusting," she said. "Check three o'clock," she whispered.

Priya snapped her head in that direction. The kissing duo looked at her and rolled their eyes. They flipped her the bird for added effect before continuing their make out session.

"Right. Speaking of redemptive arcs, I'm sure you've learned your lesson and you'll be more discrete in the art of spying next time," Augusta said, tongue in cheek.

The shrill, school bell rang and they both jolted. "Screw them. I've got History now," Priya replied. "Catch you later." She rushed to her class down the hall.

"Yeah. Bye. I'm going to see Morgan. Off to the chopping block before Physics."

"Don't be so dramatic, Augusta," Priya called over her shoulder.

***

Principal Morgan looked at Augusta and she resisted the urge to narrow her eyes at him. It was quite clear that he had already established the plan to put the golden boy back on his feet. Pedro 'Pretty Boy' Milian should have had to get off his high horse and face the music on his own. He was a football star so he was going to get training wheels instead.

"Sir, I think the peer educator concept is great and I'm sure a lot of people will benefit from it," she said.

"But?"

"I'm not the right person for Pedro."

Mr Morgan rose from his chair and stood near the window, looking out at the football field in the distance and nodding as she spoke. Augusta trailed him with her eyes. Sunlight streamed through the spacious principal's office and birds chirped in the trees outside.

She suspected he was about to launch into a heart wrenching motivational speech-about teamwork and making a difference in society. Both of which were good in theory, but practical application was another thing entirely.

"Augusta, do you know one of the most valuable lessons I learnt when I served in the Army?"

Here we go. Augusta closed her eyes for a moment to stifle an eye roll. " No, sir."

He turned to face her, and strode in slow, deliberate steps to emphasize each word. "That if anyone on your team is struggling, you should strive to lift them up."

Mr Morgan gesticulated in the air and his green eyes twinkled as he elaborated on the story. Augusta remembered his former look. After losing most of his greyish blonde hair, he had taken a leap and shaved it all off. She noted the few wrinkles on his face and his lean frame. He still looked like a soldier, even in his modest navy blue suit. Augusta scolded herself for the analysis, and wished she did not scan things all the time.

"You're a bright student. Think of Pedro as your teammate," he said, interrupting her thoughts.

"Because he's the captain of the football team?"

"No. It's because it wouldn't be good to leave Roseview without any significant extracurricular activities or a solid recommendation on your college application."

Augusta gasped. "But I play the flute in the school quartet and I'm the president of the STEM club, sir. Is this blackmail?"

"Absolutely not. Think of this as a mutually beneficial arrangement. It isn't compulsory, and you can opt out at any time if you agree to do it."

Augusta pinched the bridge of her nose, and weighed all her options. If Pedro confirmed her opinions about him to be true, she would kick him to the curb. If it worked out, she would have a valuable experience and a boost to her academic profile.

"Fine. I'll do it," Augusta agreed.

Mr Morgan clapped his hands once. "Wonderful," he said. Walking to his table he pressed the intercom and spoke to his secretary. "Send him in."

Augusta fixed her eyes on the door, and a few seconds later, Pedro walked in with a cocky swagger like he owned the place. He was wearing his signature blue jeans and a T shirt which clung to his muscular frame and designer trainers on his huge feet. He ran a hand through his thick hair and graced them with a megawatt smile.

Augusta scowled. "Cue the dramatic music and roll out the red carpet," she mumbled.

"Hello, Mr Morgan," Pedro said. The principal returned his greeting with a warm handshake, and clapped him on the back.

Pedro turned to Augusta and looked into her eyes. "Hello Augusta. It's a pleasure to meet you," he said in a husky voice. He extended his hand and eyes drifted from her eyes to her lips.

Augusta rose to her feet and accepted his handshake. She was not going to allow him to stand over her like he was the boss. "Nice to meet you too, Pedro," she said, maintaining eye contact. Polite but firm in her response.

A surprised look flashed on Pedro's face, and disappeared in an instant. Augusta was pleased to see him disarmed by her resistance to his smooth groove tactics.

"That will be all for today, sir," she said to Mr Morgan. "Milian and I will work out a schedule on our own."

"That's great," Mr Morgan replied. "Have a nice day." He tipped his head to Augusta and saluted Pedro as they left his office.

When they stepped out into the hallway, Augusta dropped the pleasantries and came at Pedro full force. "I only have time to tutor you twice a week, and no more than two hours at a time. I've got a lot of things to do outside school, and I won't tolerate a lackadaisical attitude from you."

"Yes, ma'am," Pedro said, before adding a casual "Whatever."

"Excuse me?"

"I said whatever. As in, whatever you want."

Augusta folded her arms. "I'm sure you did."

"How about we discuss how to make this easier for both of us," Pedro purred. He took one step closer and held her right hand while looking into her eyes.

"Aww, how sweet of you. I have an idea," she said, holding his smoldering, blue green gaze with her dark brown one.

Pedro bit his lip. "I'm all ears."

"Don't try to seduce me!" she snapped, and snatched her hand from his grip.

"I was just trying to be nice, Augusta. Damn."

"Save it, Milian. How about you let me be nice for just one moment?"

"Look, I've got footba-"

"Uno momento, amigo!"

"What the f-"

"No, I will not worship the ground you walk on." Augusta raised one finger. "Two, I will not do your homework," she added with another finger. "Three, I will not allow you to make me another notch on your bedpost that you can brag about with your fellow football f-boys!" she exclaimed with flared eyes and a raised middle finger.

"Are you always this antagonistic?" Pedro asked.

"Yes. Get used to it."

"Well, calm down. Stop giving me orders and let's be rational!" he growled.

Augusta tilted her head and put her hands on her hips. "Or what quarterback Milian? Are you going to give me a rough tackle and pin me to the ground? Body slam me up against these lockers? Bad boy, bad boy whatcha gonna do?"

Pedro hissed through clenched teeth. "If everything I've ever wanted wasn't on the line, I would walk away right now." He ran a hand through his hair. "Let's make a schedule or something. Damn," he muttered.

Augusta arched an eyebrow and slow clapped. "Good idea," she retorted. "I'll draw up a study plan and forward it to you. ASAP. You will contact me and let me know if you're ready to work or not."

They glared at each other in a silent standoff. Both refusing to be the first to blink. Augusta was fuming with annoyance at the audacity of Pedro to think he could charm his way out of responsibility. She knew he was rubbed the wrong way by not getting what he wanted-no questions asked. As far as she was concerned, Pedro being knocked off his high horse was long overdue.

The bell rang and loud students barrelled through the hallway. Some gave them curious looks and kept moving. No doubt shocked to see a football hero talking with a nerd but not wanting to face the wrath of the coolest guy in school.

Pedro sauntered off with his usual cool and calm air of dominance, but his anger surfaced when he banged his fist on a random locker on his way.

Augusta felt her blood surge with adrenaline and enjoyed the sensation. She had a bounce in her step on the way to Physics class. "Augusta one, Pedro zero," she said with her head held high.

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

28K 1.6K 63
She's rich, she's famous, she's twice his age--and she can make him a star. Should homeless teen Shoni King leave the family that needs him and the g...
501K 21.4K 59
"Everyone has a chapter they don't want to read out loud. Mine just so happens to be a book." Allison Bridge. Hearing her name makes most people crin...
28.9K 2.6K 51
WRITTEN BY SOFIA VITORATOS ALL RIGHTS RESERVED 💡Fictionalized under true facts 💡 🛑*MATURE CONTENT*🛑 [PUBLISHING] 🏆1st Place in Chicklit by The...
6.3K 166 14
✎ | HOCKEY SPORT ROMANCE (Beaumont boys #1) " I don't know how to explain it, Xander. B-but when I am with you I just feel like the rest of the worl...