His Thing

By iwantaferret_

The year is 1959, and Davey Jacobs has been swooned by none other than Jack Kelly. But it's not so easy. Try... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26

Chapter 2

314 11 109
By iwantaferret_

WARNING: Use of the word "sissy" and barf

Also what would you prefer the update schedule to be? I don't want it to be too overwhelming but also underwhelming in the sense I take too long.
—————————————————————

Davey smiled and walked in before Jack, who held the door open like a gentleman. He looked around the room, shying away from all of the eyes on him.

A kid with a crutch came up to him, wearing someone's leather jacket. Davey knew it had be someone else's from how large it fit on him. "Hey, I'm Crutchie."

Davey furrowed his brows in confusion—surely, he finds that offensive—but he ignored it, figuring he's heard worse. "I'm Davey."

"Believe me, I know", Crutchie chuckles, shaking his hand. "Jack here's been gushin' about you since last year!"

All the guys laugh as Davey smiles and turns to Jack, who blushes and tries to calm the guys down. "You's bashin' ears, Crutch. Makin' my head hurt."

Crutchie laughed, walking away with a, "Yeah, yeah." Davey chuckled, too, walking further into the room. While looking around, he bumped into the same redhead Race pointed out earlier, and he was less than happy to see him.

"Who's this wet rag?" He looked Davey up and down, judgment in his eyes. "He don't look like he's been around here before."

Davey internally panicked, finding Jack nowhere to be found. Where is he when you need him to be? Davey tried to smile, but the redhead glared at him more.

"Settle down, puppy dog", Race smiled, placing his cigar in his mouth as he waltzed into the conversation. "He belongs here."

"Says who?"

"Says Jackie Boy. And you know first hand not to screw around with Jackie Boy's things."

The redhead—what even is his name?—looked Davey up and down again. "Davey?"

"Yeah", he responded, putting out his hand. "You?"

"Albert", the redhead says, spitting in his hand. Davey tore his hand away, leaving him confused. "What?"

"That's disgusting", Davey gushed, leaving all of the boys laughing. Furrowing his brows, he jumped when a familiar arm was wrapped around his shoulders. He looked up, seeing Jack's smile.

"Sorry 'bout that", he apologized, kissing Davey's forehead. "Had to help Specs with somethin'."

Davey nodded as if he knew exactly who he was talking about, smiling back. "You're cool."

"I know", Jack winked, staring into Davey's eyes for a small time, before turning his head to where Mike started playing music. "Alright!"

He turned to an anxious Davey, smiling widely as he grabbed his hands.

"Let's dance."

——————

"You danced with him?!" Sarah nearly dropped her books as she walked with her little brother and Katherine to school. "Davey!"

"I know", Davey sighed, his books tighter near his side as he passed by a group of greasers. "But he's really sweet, and his friends are nice."

"Davey, you don't even know if he..." Katherine sighed as she looked around, pulling Davey closer. "You don't even know if he likes guys."

"Well, he kissed me, so..." Sarah and Katherine gasped as Davey shrugged, walking faster. "I'd say that seals the deal."

"Oh", Katherine smacked, placing her hands on her face. "Oh, God!"

"Let's just get to school", Sarah muttered, looking across the street, cringing. "Before we start begging for more trouble."

Two guys were beating up this colored kid—he could probably use another word, but he knew a lot of people didn't like that word from experience, and the alternatives were too cruel—and Davey scurried out of there.

He knew it was bad to look away, but there wasn't much he could do about it. So, he walked away with his friends as he tried to ignore the screams of the boy's sister.

——————

Jack walked through the schools front entrance, the remnants of a cigarette in his mouth. He smoked it all the way to school, collecting a few of his friends along the way. Something he was used to, but felt new all at the same time.

His mind was on Davey. The Davey Jacobs. New kid from a different part of the tracks, but still on his side. He was enticing, interesting, just in the way he carried himself.

He's a total dreamboat.

"Hey, Kelly", Race smirked, taking his cigar out his mouth as he hit his friend on the shoulder. "Thinkin' about your beau?"

Jack chuckled as Albert joined in. "Oh, Racer, you already know he is", the redhead teased, his books completely missing from his hands. "Next thing you know, he's gonna be walkin' around circled with a big rock on his finger."

The boys laughed as Jack pretended to threaten all of them, dragging the attention of everyone around them. All of the girls, anyway.

All staring at one person: The famous Jack Kelly.

Jack Kelly moves fast—he is fast—and everyone knew that. He's the type to tell you he loves you during a night of good fun, then break your heart the next morning. Every girl loves him because they thought they could change him.

"And that's why you can't see him anymore", Katherine says, closing her locker. "I forbid it."

"Who are you, my mom?" Davey answered back, sighing as he apologized. "Look, Kath, all I'm saying is don't be so square. I like Jack."

Davey watched as a few kids passed by him and his friends, staring at him weirdly. Davey leaned closer to Katherine and whispered, "And I know he likes me, too."

Sarah sighed and placed a hand on her brother's shoulder. "We just don't want you getting hurt."

"We'd hate to have you blubbering on the couch because you got your heart broken", Katherine smiled. Davey laughed, placing his hands in his ironed pants.

"Thanks, guys."

An arm slid its way across his shoulders, causing him to immediately lean into the touch. "Hey, Dave."

"Uh, hi", Davey stuttered, finding Jack beside him. His breath smelt of smoke. "Good morning."

Jack flashed one of his famous smiles, one that almost made Katherine melt. "You sittin' with us at lunch today, yeah?"

"Yeah!" Davey cleared his throat, looking down at his scuffed Converse. "Yeah. Yep. Righto."

Jack chuckled lightly and leaned in, stopping himself before he went too far. He patted Davey's shoulder, with a grin. "See you later, okay?"

Davey nodded happily as Jack walked away, Katherine watching him. Sarah looked at her in confusion, being interrupted by the bell. "We better get to class", she says, watching as people rushed by.

——————

Davey walked into the lunch room, this time with a bag of food in hand. He truly did intend to sit with Jack and his gang, he dreamed of it even. So when Mom offered to make extra lunches, he couldn't say anything but yes.

But alas, most of his dreams stay where they are made: in his head.

"You can't sit with them", Katherine hissed, looking at the table cautiously. "Have you lost your mind?"

"Don't flip your lid, Kath", Davey sighed, going to get out of his seat again. "He's my friend."

Sarah snorted, eating half of Katherine's sandwich. "Right. A pretty fast friend."

Davey glared at her before he turned back to Katherine, a soft smile on his lips. "I'll be fine."

Katherine let him go reluctantly, leaving Davey grateful. He'd been waiting for this all day, and for once he actually liked fifth period, a first among many.

He stopped walking once he made it to the table, clearing his throat. Everyone looked up at him—including those he knew and those he didn't—making him nervous. "Could I sit here?"

"Why?" Everyone's eyes turned towards a guy in striped socks. "Who even are you?"

Davey went to open his mouth to answer, but was distracted by the guy next to him. "Holy shit, what happened to you?!"

Davey dropped his bag of lunch on the table next to Jack, running over to the guy. "The Delanceys happened", he says glumly.

Davey reached over and opened his bag, taking out a first-aid kit. "Who?"

Everyone furrowed their brows at the question, and the action. Who keeps a first aid kit in their lunch bag?

"The Delanceys", Jack answered, crossing his arms on the table. "The school's bullies."

"I assumed you guys were the bullies", Davey muttered, dabbing a wet napkin on the boys face. He smiled when a few people laughed.

"We's trouble, sweetheart", Race says sweetly, twirling his cigar between his fingers. "But we ain't bullies."

"Yeah, we leave all of that to the wannabe greasers over there", Blink nods, looking in the direction of the bullies. "Oscar and Morris. A pain in all of our asses."

Davey stopped what he was doing, looking at the two boys. He'd definitely seen them before, they might even be in a class of his, but he'd never had any trouble. He resumed. "Them, huh?"

"Meanest guys I's ever met", said the injured boy in front of him. "Even worse since they beat me up in front of Celine."

Davey's brows furrowed as he remembered this morning, deciding to stay quiet. Jack didn't though. "They beat you up in front of your sister?!"

"Yeah", Specs says quietly, wincing. "Hey, you done yet?"

"Yeah", Davey muttered, placing one bandaid on his cheek. "You're good."

"Who knew he was so homely, huh, Jackie Boy?" Race snickered, nudging his shoulder with Jack's. "The perfect wife."

"Oh, yeah, I bet you know all about bein' homely, don't you, Race?" Jack shoved his friend, a smile on his face. "Seein' as you's always with The King of Brooklyn hisself."

Davey furrowed his brows as he went to sit next to Jack. "The King of Brooklyn?"

"Yeah, Spot Conlon", Albert joined in with a smirk, "and Race's favorite part of the day."

The boys erupted into romantic lines said from movies, making Race blush as he quieted them down. "We don't even do nothin'!"

"Oh, yeah. All you do is head down to a passion pit!"

"Passion town more like it", Mush muttered slyly, causing the boys to erupt into even more laughter. Davey laughed along with them, hairs raising on his back as he felt eyes on him.

The Delanceys. They were staring, especially hard at Davey. He gulped as he looked away nervously, opening the bag of his lunch quietly.

Jack looked behind him and saw the Delanceys staring, flipping them off and patting Davey's hand. The younger smiled and continued, not a worry in the world.

——————

He regrets that now.

He should've worried, he should've worried a lot. It was his thing. How could he forget about his thing?

According to the pain all of over his body, he could do it very easily.

Davey cringed as he felt another kick to the stomach, feeling as if barf could shoot out of him any moment. The Delanceys stopped going for his face, probably realizing it went numb when he stopped moaning about it. What did he even do?

One of them, Oscar, he guessed, pulled him by the collar, getting close to his face. "You gonna cry?"

"He's gonna cry for his boyfriend", Morris whined mockingly, laughed. "Little sissy's gonna cry!"

A punch to the face. This time it hurt again, mostly because of the word. The word hurt.

This has never happened to Davey, he was too good of a kid. He got good grades, did all of his chores, helped people with their homework. He did everything he should do.

He didn't think that would change at a new school, but he was clearly proven wrong.

"Hey!" Davey could hear someone shout, their cries getting closer. "Hey, quit that!"

"Or what, Kelly?" Davey looked over to Morris the best he could, considering his eye. "You gonna kiss us?"

"Nah", Jack denied, stepping closer. "I was thinkin' of dancin'."

Oscar scoffed in disgust. "Why the fuck would we want to dance with you?"

"'Cause I's got this new move", Jack bragged, throwing a punch to Oscar's face. "I call it a knuckle sandwich."

Morris ran up to him, thinking to get a punch in, but Jack grabbed him before he could, jabbing him in his face and kneeing him in the stomach. He stood over them powerfully, so powerful, Davey blushed.

He crouched down in front of the brothers, sniffling. "Now listen, I ain't gonna see you prancin' on my boy anymore, right? Unless you want to have a conversation with me and the rest of my gang."

The Delanceys shook their heads and scurried off, running down the sidewalk as Jack waved them away. He placed his hands in his jeans before turning to Davey, smacking his lips.

"You okay?"

Davey stared at him in awe. He just beat up two guys by himself—and it was something. Davey nodded as he tried to stand up, almost falling down again if it weren't for Jack's quick reaction time.

"Come on, love", Jack whispered, wrapping Davey's arm around him. "The theater's closer."

Davey felt himself nod, as he walked and tried to keep his eyes open.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

39.7K 958 48
"Well actually, I am crazy for you!" He let out a soft chuckle against my neck, tightening his grip on my wrists. He begins to brush his lips along m...
7.7K 300 47
PLEASE READ "Carrying The Banner//A Modern Day Newsies Story//COMPLETED" FIRST! You do not have to but it would help a lot. Finally, the strike is ov...
6.5K 231 31
"ℐ𝒻 ℐ π’Έβ„΄π“Šπ“π’Ή π’·β„―β„Šπ’Ύπ“ƒ 𝓉ℴ 𝒷ℯ, 𝒽𝒢𝓁𝒻 ℴ𝒻 π“Œπ’½π’Άπ“‰ π“Žβ„΄π“Š 𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓃𝓀 ℴ𝒻 𝓂ℯ. ℐ π’Έβ„΄π“Šπ“π’Ή 𝒹ℴ π’Άπ’·β„΄π“Šπ“‰ π’Άπ“ƒπ“Žπ“‰π’½π’Ύπ“ƒβ„Š, ℐ π’Έβ„΄π“Šπ“π’Ή ℯ𝓋ℯ𝓃 𝓁ℯ�...
7.4K 179 20
Suddenly, a person runs into David. He's taken by surprise by the impact. The two stumble back a little. That's when David sees who he ran into, some...