Inner Peace - LOK fanfic

By BookLover905

. Some friendships are so strong They can even... More

Prologue
Inner Peace
Elira
Trailer
Welcome to Republic City Pt.1
A Leaf In The Wind Pt.1
A Leaf In The Wind P.t 2
The Revelation Pt. 1
The Revelation Pt. 2
A Voice In The Night
The Spirit of Competition
And The Winner Is...
The Aftermath Pt. 1
The Aftermath Pt.2
When Extremes meet
Out Of The Past
Turning the Tides
Skeletons in the Closet
Endgame! Part 1
Endgame! Part 2
Rebel Spirit pt. 1
Rebel Spirit pt.2
The Southern Lights
Civil Wars Pt 1
Civil Wars Pt 2
Peacekeepers
The Sting
The Guide
A New Spiritual Age
Night Of A Thousand Stars Pt 1
Night Of A Thousand Stars pt. 2
Harmonic Convergence
Darkness Falls
Light in the Dark
A Breath of Fresh Air
Rebirth Pt.1
Rebirth Pt. 2
The Earth Queen
In Harms Way Pt.1
In Harms Way Pt. 2
The Metal Clan
Old Wounds
Republic City Hustle
The Terror Within Pt. 1
The Terror Within Pt. 2
The Stakeout
Long Live The Queen

Welcome To Republic City Pt.2

2.2K 48 5
By BookLover905

Before they knew it, the two teenagers were at the police station being interrogated.

"Let's see. Multiple counts of destruction of private and city property, not to mention evading arrest ..." A middle-aged woman dressed in police uniform read the girl's offences off a clipboard as she walked behind the two, bound by their wrists to the table.

Elira had her down, twiddling her thumbs and avoiding eye contact with the woman as Korra followed her movements with a sad look on her face.

The woman slammed the clipboard on the table next to Korra, startling her, and angrily glared at the girls" You're in a whole mess of trouble, you two."

"But there were some thugs threatening a helpless shopkeeper, and I had it ..."

"Can it!" The woman snapped, making Korra flinch " You should have called the police and stayed out of the way."

"Lin, we couldn't just sit by and do nothing" Elira looked at the woman as she walked to the other side of the table.

" It's my duty to help people. See, I'm the Avatar." Korra smiled slightly

Lin crossed her arms, unimpressed "Oh, I am well aware of who you are."

She waved her fingers in contempt, leaning in " And your Avatar title might impress some people. But not me."

She straightened as her voice hardened again. Korra looked surprised by her reaction.

"All right, fine", She sighed decidedly. "Then I want to talk to whoever's in charge."

"You're looking at her", Elira informed. "Korra, meet Chief Beifong. Chief of police and, in my opinion, one of the greatest benders in the..."

El trailed off when she saw the unamused look on Lin's face as she sat down across from them.

"I'll shut up now", She muttered, lowering her head.

"Wait, Beifong? Lin Beifong? You're Toph's daughter!" Korra grinned in excitement

" What of it?" Lin snapped

"Well then, why are you treating us like criminals?" Korra questioned, " Avatar Aang and your mother were friends. They saved the world together."

" That's ancient history. And it's got diddly squat to do with the mess you're in right now. You can't just waltz in here and dole out vigilante justice like you own the place!" Lin snapped, stretching her arm to emphasise her words.

Suddenly one of the metalbending cops opened a peephole in the metal wall. "Chief, Councilman Tenzin is here."

Lin sighed in annoyance, standing up as Elira tensed in her seat.

"Let him in.", The chief ordered, standing beside the table and putting her hands behind her back in a formal posture as the wall in front of Korra and Elira slid aside to form a door through which Tenzin entered.

His eyes immediately went to the two girls handcuffed to the table. Elira looked up at him with a sheepish smile.

"Heh...Hey, Dad," She chuckled nervously.

Tenzin gave her a disappointed look making the young teen's smile drop, and cast her eyes back down at the table.

"Tenzin, sorry ... I got a little side-tracked on my way to see you." Korra also gave the man a guilty smile.

Tenzin looked at her dismayed before turning to Lin and smiling charmingly.

"Lin, you are looking radiant as usual."

"Cut the garbage, Tenzin. Why is the Avatar in Republic City? I thought you and Little Miss Trouble over there were supposed to be moving down to the South Pole to train her," Lin snapped.

"Our relocation has been delayed. The Avatar, on the other hand, will be heading back to the South Pole immediately, where she will stay put," Tenzin declared

Korra went to protest. "But—"

"If you would be so kind as to drop the charges against them, I will take full responsibility for today's regrettable events and cover all the damages", Tenzin offered

Pondering over Tenzin's suggestion, Lin glanced over her shoulder toward the girls, who were looking down at the table. She turned back, sighed, and nonchalantly raised her left hand, opening the cuffs that were binding Korra and Elira's hands to the table.

"Fine. Get her out of my city" She crossed her arms.

"Always a pleasure, Lin. Let's go, girls."

The two teens followed behind Tenzin, and as Korra passed by Lin, they both eyed each other in discontent. Lin pointed with her index and pinkie at her eyes and back to Korra, glaring at her. Korra eyed Lin in malcontent and anger, bent over, exaggeratedly and mockingly mimicking Lin's gesture that she would keep an eye on her before picking up speed and leaving the room with an upheld head.

Lin looked bewildered by what happened. She stuck up her nose and assumed a dismayed look while crossing her arms again, grunting softly.

*

"Dad, please, don't send Korra back. It was my idea, to begin with; Korra just went along with it," Elira begged her father as they stood in the reception area.

" You blatantly disobeyed my wishes and the orders of the White Lotus." Tenzin scolded them haughtily

"Katara and Zira agreed with me that I should come. They said my destiny is in Republic City," Korra stated, waving her arms to emphasise her point.

"Don't bring my mother into this!" Tenzin snapped furiously, his face turning red.

"Look, I can't wait any longer to finish my training. Being cooped up and hidden away from the world isn't helping me become a better Avatar. I saw a lot of the city today, and it's totally out of whack. I understand now why you need to stay. Republic City does need you. But it needs me, too," Korra declared as Tenzin stroked his beard.

"You ... ah ..." He sighed in defeat.

Upon hearing the sounds of the bars being opened, the trio turned toward the sound, finding a police officer standing there with Naga and Pichi.

" Is this your polar bear dog and flying lemur?" He asked before Naga licked him, making his hair swirl. Pichi then jumped onto his head, chittering as her tail hung in the police officer's face.

Later at twilight, Tenzin stood at the railing of a boat, looking sorrowfully up at his father's sculpture as it passed by. He sadly bowed his head before looking over his shoulder toward the new Avatar and his daughter. They were leaning on the railing, El gazing up at her grandfather's statue and Korra watching how they moved away from the city. Naga and Pichi were sleeping on the deck next to them.

*

As the boat docked in the harbour of Air Temple Island, there was a larger ship already docked there as well, with three Order of the White Lotus members standing beside the large ship, looking very serious. Korra and Elira gazed at the three men, and Korra sadly bowed her head while sighing. Elira suddenly looked up as two Air Nomad gliders came swooping into view before Ikki and Jinora, who was carrying Meelo on her back, landed.

"Korra!" Ikki and Meelo cheered, hugging the Avatar

Jinora was more held back but then quickly ran toward Korra as well to join the group hug after the Avatar beckoned her with a hand movement.

"Are you coming to live with us on the island?" Ikki asked excitedly

"No, I'm sorry, Ikki. I have to go home now." Korra squatted down, placing a hand sadly on Jinora and Ikki's shoulders.

Ikki sighed and bowed her head in disappointment. Korra stood up and hugged Elira goodbye.

"Bye, Korra. I'm sorry it didn't work."

"Hey, it was worth a shot. Thanks anyway," The Avatar joked, trying to make light of the situation before walking away with Naga.

Meelo then began pulling on El's sleeve, wanting her to pick him up. The older girl silently bent down to pick up her little brother and watched sadly as Korra led Naga away toward the members of the Order, who walked up to meet her.

"Wait"

Korra stopped walking and turned as Tenzin and the Order members walked toward her.

" I have done my best to guide Republic City toward the dream my father had for it, but you're right. It has fallen out of balance since he passed. I thought I should put off your training in order to uphold his legacy."

Tenzin placed a hand on Korra's shoulder " But you are his legacy. You may stay and train airbending here with me. Republic City needs its Avatar once again."

Korra gasped in excitement " Yes! Thank you! You're the best!"

" Yaaaaay!" The kids all cheered, Meelo jumping out of El's arms as Korra hugged them, effortlessly lifting them off the ground.

She moved to Elira and Tenzin, lifting them up as well. Ikki and Elira laugh as Naga walked up, joining in the group hug by putting her head against Korra's back, purring contently. Tenzin sighed, thinking about what he'd got himself into. When Korra finally put the family down, Elira picked up her glider and opened it, getting ready to take off.

"Right, now that's settled; I'll see you guys later."

"And where do you think you're going?" Tenzin quickly stopped her

"Just to see the guys for a bit. Don't worry; I'll be back in time for dinner, I promise," Elira explained, going to take off again.

"Oh no, you're not. Not after what you pulled today. Going behind my back, encouraging Korra to come to Republic City. You are in a world of trouble, young lady, " Tenzin declared sternly.

"You just said Korra could stay, so what difference does it make? It all worked out in the end, right?" Elira argued

"That is beside the point! You disobeyed me and the members of the White Lotus! Not to mention you then got into trouble with the Triads again when you were specifically told to stay away from them!" Tenzin scolded

"They started it! They were harassing one of the shop owners. And I knew that Korra was needed here!" El snapped

"I've heard enough. You're grounded until I see fit," Tenzin stated, turning to leave back to the temple.

"But Dad-!"

"Bottom line, Elira!" Tenzin yelled, silencing his daughter, whirling around again.

"You need to grow up."

"Then let me", Elira snapped before storming past him with Pichi following behind her with a chitter. "...Please"

*

That night, Tenzin was going around doing a bed check, making sure everyone was where they should be. When he came to Elira's room, he slowly opened the door to see his eldest daughter curled up in her blankets. Pichi, too, was curled up fast asleep at the foot of her bed. Satisfied that she was where she was supposed to be, Tenzin quietly shut the door and walked away to check on the others. Unaware that as soon as the door slid shut, Elira's eyes snapped open, having been awake the whole time, and she bolted out of bed.

Pichi chattered excitedly, flying over to the window and watching as her owner opened her closet and dug out a bunch of spare pillows. She made her way over to her bed and tucked them underneath her covers to make it look like a person was sleeping there. There was also a little lump next to it to make her father think Pichi was under the covers. After making a few adjustments, Elira grabbed her glider and headed towards her window, opening it wide as Pichi jumped onto her shoulder.

"Ready, Pich?" She asked her lemur, who chattered excitedly

"Race you there" Elira took off into the air with Pichi chattering behind her as they flew to the bright, golden arena in the distance.

*

Reaching the beautiful arena, Pichi flew inside through an open window with Elira seconds behind her. She closed her glider, landing gracefully on her feet and smiled as her lemur jumped on her shoulder, chittering expectantly.

"Oh, alright. Since you did beat me," The airbender smirked and gave Pichi a treat from her pocket.

The lemur happily gobbled it up as Elira walked through the halls of the arena. Peeking her head into the gym area, she smiled when she spotted her friend, Toza, packing up the equipment.

"Hey, Toza!" She waved, making the old man look up.

"Hey there, kiddo. I was wondering where you'd got to" The man smiled

"Got held up. They upstairs?" The airbender asked, pointing up towards the arena's attic

"Should be. Can't go too long without your boyfriend, huh?" Toza teased

"Best friend, Toza. Best friend...And no, I can't," Elira corrected with a smirk as she left the gym to head up to the attic.

Toza chuckled and rolled his eyes disbelievingly as he continued putting away equipment.

*

"Guess who?" Elira called out as she walked up the steps into the familiar apartment.

"El!"

The airbender laughed as her two best friends tackled her. Pichi screeched slightly and climbed onto her head to escape being caught in the hug.

"Where have you been, airhead?!" Bolin cried, squeezing the girl tightly. "I was so worried!"

"Sorry, sorry, I got held up" She smiled, ruffling the earthbender's hair as an adorable fire ferret climbed up her leg onto her shoulder, nuzzling her cheek.

"Hey, Pabu", El scratched behind the ferret's ear making him purr.

"See, bro, I told you she was fine," Mako told his little brother as Pabu and Pichi began playfully chasing each other around the apartment.

"Well, how was I supposed to know? For all we knew, she could have been kidnapped...or worse!" Bolin exclaimed

"I wasn't kidnapped, dirt brain. I just ran into a friend of mine on my way to see you," Elira explained.

"Wait, that's why you were gone the whole day?" Bolin looked at her, confused

"Well..." The airbender muttered, scratching the back of her neck. "See, I was bringing her back to the island when we got into some trouble with the Triads and..."

"The Triads? I thought you were supposed to stay away from them, El? Remember what happened last time?" Mako scolded

"Hey, they started it! Anyway, the police arrived, and we made a run for it but ended up getting arrested in the end. Then my dad came to get us, and long story short, I am now grounded," The airbender finished explaining.

"Then how are you over here?" Bolin asked

"Well, as far as my father's concerned, I am happily tucked away in bed asleep", Elira replied with a smirk.

"Pillow trick?" The earthbender chuckled

"Pillow trick", Elira smiled, laughing as Bolin high-fived her

Mako just sighed. "You have to stop with this, El. Your dad's gonna find out sooner or later."

"But he hasn't so far", Elira smirked, making Bolin chuckle. "Just like he hasn't found out, I've been sneaking over here to watch your pro-bending matches."

"Well, a match never feels right without our number one fan cheering us on", Bolin smiled, throwing an arm around his best friend. "You're the Fire Ferret's lucky charm."

"Which is why I have never missed a match and don't plan to ", Elira grinned. "Especially not with the tournament coming up."

"And we're making it to the finals for sure. Look out, Republic City, the Fire Ferrets are aiming for the top!" Bolin exclaimed, picking up the airbender and swinging her around, making her squeal and laugh at his goofiness

*

Later that night, Mako had gone to bed, leaving Elira and Bolin quietly talking up on the platform Bolin called his room. They sat by the window overlooking the ocean, and Aang's statue with Pabu and Pichi curled up together by their feet.

"So, how'd you managed to sneak off the island?" Bolin asked

"I waited for Dad to do a bed check before simply flying over with my glider" Elira smirked, and Bolin chuckled

Elira then huffed in annoyance, leaning her head against the wall behind her

"He's so annoying at times. He says I need to act more like an adult but then treats me like I'm ten. It's always "Elira, you need to stop being so childish" or "Elira, you need to grow up" Elira mimicked her father's facial expressions, voice and hand gestures making Bolin chuckle again. "I don't want to grow up. If being an adult means acting like him, someone who has no fun all day and has to sit through hundreds of boring council meetings, then I'd rather stay a kid...I'm sorry; I know I'm ranting again."

"No, no, it's okay. Rant all you want, I don't mind listing. If you ever need to get something off your chest, you can always come to me. Your bestest friend in the whole wide world" Bolin grinned and puffed his chest out in a heroic pose.

"Thanks, Bo", Elira smiled, chuckling softly before turning to look out the window at her grandfather's statue.

"One day, Bo...One day I'm going to fly far away from here. Explore the world, and have my own adventures. With no responsibilities, no expectations and no one telling me how to act or behave. Just like my grandparents did when they were young," She explained wistfully.

"But, what about your life here?" Bolin asked

"I'll come back, obviously. I'm not running away; I just...want a life of my own. Out there, where I can be my own person"

Elira continued to stare out at the open ocean for a moment before turning to her best friend again.

" Hey, Bo, can we make a promise?... A promise that no matter where life takes us or how far apart we end up... promise we'll always be friends" The airbender held her hand up with her pinkie raised.

"Best friends" Bolin smiled and joined their pinkies

" Forever "

*

The next day, in front of Republic City's city hall, a large cheering crowd had gathered taking pictures as Korra stood behind a speech bench with five microphones in front of her. She gazed at the gathered mass, looking overwhelmed, before clearing her throat and leaning forward to speak into the microphones.

"Hello?" The microphones screeched slightly. "I'm Korra. Your new Avatar"

A journalist with a notepad raised his hand. "Does this mean you've moved to Republic City?"

"Were you and Master Elira trying to send a message to the Triads yesterday?" A young woman journalist with glasses questioned

"Will you be fighting crime or the Anti-bending Revolution, or both?" Another journalist raised his hand

"Will you be working with Chief Beifong and the police?" Asked another

Korra looked a little unsure when she answered, "Uh ... yes, I am definitely here to stay, but honestly, I - I don't exactly have a plan yet. See, I'm still in training, but look, all I know is Avatar Aang meant for this city to be the centre of peace and balance in the world, and I believe we can make his dream a reality. I look forward to serving you!"

The crowd went wild, and all the journalists took photographs of her, bright white lights flashing.

Somewhere in the city, in a dimly lit room, Korra's voice echoed through an old radio.

"I'm so happy to be here. Thank you, Republic City!"

"All right, that's all the questions the Av–"

A man dressed in some sort of uniform with goggles over his eyes.

"Amon, how do you want to handle this?" He asked, a donning hooded caped figure, standing with his hands held behind his back and staring at a large map of the world hanging from the wall in front of him.

"So, the Avatar has arrived early" The figure turned slowly, revealing his masked face " It looks like we'll have to accelerate our plans."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

123K 3.9K 44
"How are you so excited? You're insane!" "I know!" Many call her crazy and wreckless. She takes that as a compliment. Join one girl's crazy ride with...
127K 3.6K 87
WARNING- LONG CHAPTERS, BUT WORTH THE READ ↓↓↓ She was the younger sister, but she was taught to look after her older sister and keep her safe. Her w...
70.3K 1.9K 24
Sakiko, a non bender from the fire nation who just recently moved to republic city. as she walked around town, she meets a fire ferret and a friendly...
38.3K 1.1K 25
______________________________ ______________________ Book 1; Y/n daughter of Commander Bumi and M/n a fragile noble from the fire nation who died wh...