A Storm of Flames and Deceit

By yourlocalsag

Nephele Speirling is the only daughter of Hybern's Grand General, the most powerful man on the isle and the s... More

Prologue
I. Full
II. Easy Trade
III. Corruption
IV. Satisfied
V. Quite the Impression
VI. Top of the World
VII. I Hope I'm Right
VIII. Bon Voyage
IX. Just the Mystery
X. Bitterly
XI. Death is a Woman
XII. Sunnier
XIII. Good Taste
Intermission
XIIV. Head in the Clouds
XIV. Contingency
XV. Instinct and Desire
XVI. Pull Me In
XVII. Liberation
XVIII. Only Snow
XIX. Put It On My Tab
XX. You Can't Script This
XXI. Walk Across the Sky
XXII. Grounded in Reality
XXIII. Electrical Fire
XXIV. With What Is Unsaid
XXV. On Fire For You
XXVI. There Are Lights
XXVII. Splitting
XXVIII. Queen Mongering
XXIX. Thawed
Intetmission
XXX. Oasis
XXXI. I Refuse
XXXII. Horizon
XXXIII. Reversion
XXXIV. Get Even
XXXV. I'm Not Afraid of the Fight
XXXVI. Sweeter Tomorrow
XXXVII. Smile Like a Saint
XXXVIII. True Magic
XXXIX. Tranquility
XXXX. Altared
XXXXI. Of Course, It Was an Act
XXXXII. Home
XXXXIII. Substantiation
XXXXIV. When the Day Comes
XXXXV. A Bit of Truth
XXXXVI. Sweet as Poison
XXXXVII. Compromise
XXXXVIII. Sweet Dreams
XXXXIX. Burn the Throne
XXXXX. Sooner
XXXXXI. Locking Me Out
Intermission
Part II
Prologue
1. Blind Sided
2. As Good A Time As Any
3. In a Heartbeat
4. More Than Just a Bond
5. Separation Anxiety
6. Unstoppable
7. Sweeping Silence
8. In Ordinance
9. Under the Blood Moon
10. You're the Sun
11. Even When I Want to Hate You
12. Such Conversation
13. Annotations
14. You Cannot Force the Stars to Align
15. A Weak Woman
16. Kid in Love
17. Zoned Out
18. From the Commotion
19. Albeit Passionate
20. As We March On
21. A Fighting Chance
22. Lose This Crowd
23. The Role
24. Good Deeds
25. Bad Things
26. Payment Enough
27. To Conquer
28. Eternal Flame
29. Shackled
30. Not Caring
31. Like We'll Never Have Sex
32. Damned Day
33. Painless
34. There Was An Oracle
35. Save For Eternity
36. The Price
37. Counting Down the Days
38. Gilded Goodnight
39. Blind Sided
40. Prints
41. Skull Crushing
42. Sympathies
44. Firestorm
45. My Nephele
46. Clear
47. Lightning Itself
48. Storm Inside
49. Heart of Diamond
50. Beauty in Strength
Aesthetics Check
51. Mannerless
52. Bespelled
53. Lightning Bugs
54. In Vain
55. Lawless Island
56. Branded
57. Between the Three of Us
58. Fire and Rain
59. Mud Washes Away
60. Long Live
Epilogue
Ending Note

43. Past Deceit

470 22 1
By yourlocalsag

Eris

"We met only three days ago," Lord Burton complains haughtily. "Why the urgency, My Lord?"

"We had only hoped to discuss the budget for this year to come," Nephele says calmly, sitting up straighter.

"What is there to discuss?" Burton laughs. "I know you're a bit new to this, but economic responsibility generally rolls over every year. It's almost tradition."

"I wonder, Lord Burton, in your years of service to the court, if you've ever read the laws of the land," Neph bites back. "Because I'm sure you'd recall the proclamation that the fiscal interpretations are meant to be discussed at the end of every year and rearranged how the High Power sees fit."

That's the stake that the nobles had in being here. From taxation, the crown was given a certain amount of money. That budget was then separated amongst the dukes in proportion to what they are instructed to manage. Trade, lumber, and agriculture tend to be some of the higher budgeted areas.

Burton has historically managed commerce, swaying things in his favor, lining his pockets with his seemingly endless budget. But Neph and I have no plans of leaving him that responsibility this year, and I think Burton could tell. His face falls.

"But, my Lord," he turns to me frantically. "Changing the arrangements... it would disrupt the balance of power we have among ourselves as nobles."

"Good," I reply blandly. "I have every intention of rewarding loyalty."

"If this is about your brother..."

"The traitor, you mean?" I interrupt him. "No, this isn't about him."

"Traitor is a bold accusation-"

"The truth can be bold sometimes," Nephele says. "Not only did Darian try to kill me, kill Eris, but he also tried to kill Lucien over a century ago, directly defying the reigning High Lord at the time. Treason is a crime punishable by exile."

"But let's not discuss the guilt of a man who isn't around to defend himself presently. There will be plenty time for that- along with further interrogation, which certainly doesn't involve anyone in this room," I say. Darian had been purposely barred from the meeting. He had no place in my court, and he never would. "I just came to pass these out to you," I nod to the servant who distributes the prints among the nobles. "These are copies of the new budget responsibilities for the next year."

"You've put me in charge of fishing?" Burton blurts, appalled. Autumn's fishing industry was a joke.

Nephele shrugs. "Lord Hyron is always on time for meetings. He knows what he's talking about, and his people have a relatively high standard of living under his governance," Nephele tells Burton. "That's why he earned the commerce budget. If you don't like it, do better."

Burton's eye twitches. I can tell he hates that anyone has authority over him, especially a woman. When my father reigned, there wasn't a woman within a hundred yards of the conference room, but with our update to inheritance laws, as nobles retire, the room should start evening out.

"We will take no further questions as there is a traitor meant to be dealt with," I declare, rising, taking Neph's hand. "This meeting is adjourned."

Unhappy chatter breaks around us as we leave, and I can tell this will hardly be the last complaint we hear of it. If they want to defy us, fine. I'll be more than happy to have a reason to get them accused of treason and replace them with anyone infinitely more qualified.

"By the cauldron, the guards might have to drive them from the conference room with a plow," Nephele laughs as we walk purposefully towards Darian's old room.

"Good thing there's been an uptick in enlistments ever since our expansion of benefits to soldiers," I reply. "Doesn't hurt that servitude is now an option for twice as many people as it was under my father."

She chuckles. "Imagine that: men and women fighting for the crown."

I laugh in return, the sound only dying as we reach Darian's door. Our guards insist on entering first, but Neph and I stand unafraid. His power couldn't even hold a flame to either of us even if he was dumb enough to fight.

But as the oak swings open, we are both struck by the possibility that there are bigger things to fear than Darian himself.

No, because my brother passed out on the floor, abdomen gashed by the cruel slice of some dagger long since disappeared. But that, strangely, wasn't the most terrifying part.

I slip Nephele behind me as wind twists around the room, so sinisterly familiar in face.

Fergus.

Is slithers like the spiral of a snake, claiming the unconscious body of my brother. Darian disappears in the wind, Fergus laughing grandly at our horror.

"About time you two showed up," he says, his form materializing in the gray whisper of wind thrashing at our hair. "He nearly bled out."

"Where did you take him?" I demand, something ripping in me. He was horrendous, but fuck, he was my brother.

The twister seems to shrug indifferently. "Wouldn't you like to know?"

"Get the fuck out of this palace," Nephele commands, stepping to my side.

"You don't want to know what I want?" Fergus asks, nearly disappointed.

"No," Nephele answers, the room buzzing with electricity . "I don't care what you want. I just know I want you dead."

"Wanting isn't for everyone," he replies vaguely. "But temptation is."

"What are you talking about?" I scoff.

"There's a rock on the dresser," Fergus responds. I take a glance, confirming his statement. The rock is nearly black, jagged as any knife. "Whoever picks it up will be brought to me."

Such magic wasn't available to anyone, but if he truly is dabbling in something darker....

"If Eris picks it up," Fergus smirks. "I kill Darian. Then, I kill him."

My brow furrows. Why is he bothering to threaten Darian? "But if Nephele picks it up," Fergus continues. "Darian will be returned to your dungeon the instant you push into my sights, and Neph is welcome to make an attempt on my life or strike any sort of deal she wishes with me, whatever would comfort her enough to be delivered to me."

"Why the hell would we want Darian?" I scoff. He may be my brother, but I'll pick my wife any day. Certainly over him, the traitor. If anything, Fergus is doing me a favor.

"It's my understanding that he knows something," Fergus smiles. "Something you'll definitely want to know. I'm not your only enemy, Vansera."

I don't care. I ignore the itch in me to know. It's not more important than Neph. It doesn't even tempt me.

"And if neither of us pick up the rock?" I ask.

"I kill Darian," he replies simply. "And you'll never know the threats coming, but damn your people, right? As long as you have your wife?"

"Why would we ever trust you?" Nephele scoffs, unconvinced.

"I'm in a magic so ancient that I'm past lies, child," Fergus answers. "It is rumored among the humans that fae are incapable of lies... an ancient rumor. This sort of magic is I'm calling upon has bound me to the ancient governing of our people. I'm sure your husband has researched it all."

Nephele looks up at me, and I nod gruffly. It all added up, but I don't care. I'm not fucking letting her go. "What Darian knows... if you intercepted him, you could spare the lives of thousands of your people," he goes on. "I wouldn't have kidnapped him if I didn't think what he knew was valuable enough to bargain."

I shiver, knowing he's beyond bluffing. An attack? I don't know what we'll do if we don't figure it out in time. I cannot lose anyone autumn. We'll have to figure out what he's talking about some other way.

"The choice is yours," Fergus finishes. "But the rock will crumble in five minutes, and with that, your options expire."

And in that, the twister dissipates into nothing but a scrambled room. A scrambled brain.

But my head is clear. "We need to get out of here," I tell Nephele, taking her hand.

"You need to listen to me," she doesn't budge.

"No," I shake my head. "I'm not hearing you out-"

"You can't afford not to," she steps closer, taking my face in her hands. "You heard him. There's a threat on our land. If we don't I value it-"

"You're not going."

She furrows her brow. "You told me that we're in an equal partnership."

"We are- when you're not trying to kill yourself," I laugh incredulously. If she thinks-

"He can't hurt me," she replies. "I get in. Get Darian. Get out. Wards don't apply to me. I'm nearly immune to fae bane."

"Nearly isn't good enough," I reply. "If you're shot with fae bane, there's a strong possibility that you can't overcome its effects until it's too late."

"My father isn't taking me to kill me. I have a while," she replies, tipping her brow against mine. "We have to think of the people."

"So I'll go," I retort.

She shakes her head. "It has to be me. He'll kill Darian if it's not, and then, we'll never know," she explains. "And I'm your mate."

"Which is precisely why I can't let you go."

"No," she laughs softly. "I just mean that the bond snapped for you. You can find me through it, but I can't find you. Not yet anyway."

"Nephele-"

"Don't come until we get Darian back," she kisses my cheek, and by the time I reach for her waist, it's too late. She has pushed be back hard into the wall, springing for the rock, and disappearing from the room.

I hadn't seen it coming. I stare back in astonishment.

If she dies, I die, but if she lives...

I'm going to fucking kill her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

585K 21.9K 71
During the first war against Hybern 500 years in the past, the daughter of the night court journeys through the difficult life of being a female warr...
48.2K 1.3K 16
*******SPOILERS****** Takes place after ACOWAR The war with Hybern has ended and the world of Prythian has finally calmed and found peace. The Night...
9.9K 289 20
Azriel X Scarlett Vanserra (Eris' Eldest Daughter). 18+ Spiciness and a bit of a slow burn!!!! What happens when your High Lord and Lady agree to te...
5.2K 87 14
[Azriel x Reader] Y/n is the daughter of a healer in the city of Velaris. After a small incident, she moves to the House of the Wind to work for the...