Heroes Never Die ✓

Galing kay axgirl13

For eight years, the kingdom of Lamyria was peaceful. But there is no such thing as "they lived happily ever... Higit pa

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 1 The Drills
Chapter 2 Leisure Time
Chapter 3 The Gryphonhearts
Chapter 4 Royal Council
Chapter 6 Darkness Rising
Chapter 7 The Care House
Chapter 8 The Sorceress
Chapter 9 Farewells
Chapter 10 Welcome to the Blighted Lands
Chapter 11 The Shape Shifters
Chapter 12 The Town
Chapter 13 The Lord of Ruins
Chapter 14 Troubles At Court
Chapter 15 The Price
Chapter 16 Keep On Going
Chapter 17 Welcome To The Capital
Chapter 18 The Deceiver
Chapter 19 Letting Go
Chapter 20 Ability To Rule
Chapter 21 Get Back Up
Chapter 22 A Haunted Waltz
Chapter 23 Soul Siphoning
Chapter 24 The Cavalry
Chapter 25 Ready. Aim.
Chapters 26 Heroes Never Die
Epilogue

Chapter 5 The Harvest Festival

1.1K 112 216
Galing kay axgirl13

Skylar sat next to her daughter's bed. The room was small but cosy. The walls were painted in the light blue of the summer sky and adorned with unicorns, winged horses and gryphons. Preston was the one painting those, and they looked lifelike. Skylar smiled to herself. Her old guard's career as an artist skyrocketed since they hired him to paint their family portraits and such. Not many people were saying arts were not a masculine occupation anymore.

"Come on, Mummy! Read!" Thalia's demanding voice broke her train of thoughts.

"All right, all right, I'm reading!"

"You're not! You're just sitting here."

"Because I was looking at you, and you're just too cute." Skylar tickled her daughter, who giggled with glee. "All right, let's read it then." She opened a small book with beautifully painted pictures. "Once upon a time, there was a Princess named Melody. She was a beautiful little girl who lived in a big castle. But Princess Melody was sad because she didn't have any friends."

"Show me the castle!" Thalia demanded.

Sky turned the book so the girl could see the illustrations while she read. "One day, she decided to go for a walk to find some new friends." She turned the page. "Princess Melody went to the wood and met a squirrel. Will you be my friend, Miss Squirrel, and play with me? she asked. I can play with you for a moment, but then I need to get back to gathering nuts for winter. And so they played, but then squirrel had to go, and Princess Melody felt lonely again."

"Poor Princess Melody." Thalia sighed.

"After a while, Princess Melody found a baby deer. Can you play with me and be my friend? She asked. I can play with you for a bit, but then I'll have to go back home, the deer replied. They played for a while, but Princess Melody found herself alone once again when the animal left. She met many more creatures, but every one of them had to go at some point, and Princess Melody was sorrowful. She sat on the big rock and started crying.

"But then, a boy walked up to her and asked, Why are you crying? Princess Melody looked up and replied Because I don't have any friends. Do you want to be my friend? The boy smiled. Yes, I will be your friend! Come with me to my kingdom, and we can stay together forever! Wait, what?" Skylar frowned and looked at the few remaining pages. "That's ridiculous. Who wrote that?"

"What's wrong, Mummy? Why did you stop reading?" Thalia asked.

"Because this is not a good story."

"But it's my favourite story!" the girl protested. "Next, Princess Melody and Prince Aidan become friends, then get married and live happily ever after!"

"All right, firstly, they are children. They can't possibly get married." Skylar scoffed. "And secondly, you don't need a boy to live happily ever after."

"But you married Daddy, didn't you? And you are living happily ever after?"

Skylar laughed. "Oh, Kitten, if only it were so easy." She brushed her daughter's dark hair from her forehead. "Do you know how this story should go?"

The girl shook her head. Her dark eyes were wide with curiosity.

"Princess Melody and her new friend Prince Aidan went together to adventure. They visited all the places worldwide, made loads of new friends along the way, slew some horrible monsters, and saved a few kingdoms. When they got tired, they decided to settle and if they loved each other, maybe even get married. And then, they could live happily ever after," she finished proudly.

Thalia was silent for a moment, her mind absorbing the new ending to her favourite tale.

"Mummy?"

"Yes, Kitten?"

"Can I go on an adventure and slay monsters?"

"Yes, but you need to grow up a bit first and learn how to wield a sword."

"Will you teach me?"

"Of course, I will."

"Good. I don't want to be a princess anymore. When I grow up, I will be a monster slayer, just like you, Mummy!"

Skylar laughed and kissed Thalia's head. "I bet you will. Just don't tell Daddy I gave you that idea."

***

Before Skylar finally got to bed, it was long after midnight. Whether times were turbulent or peaceful, the work never seemed to end.

"I'm so tired today," she mumbled to her pillow.

Gawyn firmly massaged her tense shoulders, and she hummed approvingly. "You can rest now. Unless you still have some strength left," he murmured into her ear, sending a pleasant shiver down her spine.

"Mmmm, do you have something specific in mind?"

"Maybe." He kissed her neck.

The door creaked open. They both froze and looked up.

Thalia was standing in a doorway, rubbing her sleepy eyes.

"Mummy? Daddy? Can I sleep with you?"

"Of course, you can, Kitten. Come up here," Skylar said, pushing down her disappointment.

Gawyn sighed, kissed her shoulder and made room for the little girl in the middle of the bed.

"Did you have a nightmare?" Skylar asked when Thalia cuddled to her, little fingers brushing through her hair. The girl only murmured something incoherently and was sound asleep in seconds.

Gawyn smiled and kissed the little head.

"Good night, my loves."

***

It was the time of the Harvest Festival, and it seemed that half of the kingdom flocked to the capital to take part in celebrations and festivities. The main market in Eaglepoint was bustling with activity. The streets were full of laughing revellers. The local folks decorated the houses with red, orange and yellow ribbons, the colours of Udar, the holy Spirit of soil and vegetation. Offerings were set up in front of each door, using the household's most decorative and fancy plates. The ripest and most beautiful fruits and vegetables were laid out to show gratitude for generous harvests.

Most places in the capital were filled with music and lively chatter. The stalls with fresh food could be found on most of the city's main arteries. The alluring aromas of freshly baked bread and all sorts of hot pots were assaulting the senses of all visitors, offering them temptations they couldn't possibly resist. They provided the whole range of tastes – from mild and sweet to spicy and unbearably hot. It was time for celebration, and for those short few days, everyone could eat and drink plenty.

For those in a more rowdy mood, plenty of alcohol was served - from spiced meads, through the freshly fermented beer to spirits that would scrunch up the faces of most experienced drinkers. At the Harvest Festival, the city offered everything anyone could dream of.

"Daddy, Daddy!" Thalia patted Gawyn's head while sitting on his shoulders. "I can smell pumpkin buns! Can I have one? Please?"

"Fine, but do you know where they sell them? I can't see a thing in this crowd," Gawyn grumbled. He didn't want to come here. For him, it was one of the many pointless pastimes that people of the capital were so fond of. Still, Skylar convinced him that Thalia was far too excited to miss it, especially considering all her friends were attending the festivities.

"It's there, on the right! Next to that big red tent!" The girl pointed excitedly.

"All right, I'll make you a passage." Skylar laughed and started to make her way through the thick crowd.

They reached the small stall where an older woman sold fresh little buns smelling intensely of pumpkin and cinnamon.

"Can we have three, please?" Skylar handed coins to the vendor.

"Here, you have one extra, my lady." The woman gave her little bag with still-warm pastries. "Your little one looks hungry." She winked at Thalia.

"Yay!" The girl cheered, jumping up and down. "I want to eat it now! Gimme, Mummy!"

"Woah! Easy, or you'll fall." Gawyn laughed and gently put his daughter on the ground. Her cheeks were rosy, and her dark eyes shone with excitement and curiosity only children could feel. At that moment, Gawyn didn't regret he let his wife bring them here.

"Mmmm," Thalia mumbled, taking a massive bite of the bun. "It's so good! It's the best!"

"Good." He stroked her head. She was such a unique little creature. It was amazing that he brought something so pure, innocent, and perfect to this world. Looking down at her, he knew the life was worth living.

"I think the storytime will start soon," Skylar said, craning her neck and standing on her tiptoes to see over the sea of people. "There are people on the stage already. How about we head there now, hm?" She offered her hand, and Thalia grabbed it right away and started hopping on their way through the crowd. Gawyn smiled and followed them.

The big wooden scene was placed in the corner of the main market. A decoration painted as the most beautiful palace surrounded by green trees and colourful flowers stood in the middle. A piece was cut out, leaving space for the puppets to appear.

In front of the stage stood rows of benches ready for the audience. Half of them were already occupied by ecstatic, chattering children of various ages.

"Oh, there is Millie!" Thalia pointed to the girl her age with blonde pigtails, waving at her enthusiastically. "Can I go now, Mummy? Can I?"

"Go." Skylar let go of her hand, and the girl ran to sit next to her friend. They started to talk animatedly and giggle right away.

Sky sighed, laced her fingers with Gawyn's and rested her head on his shoulder. "Can you believe how quick she's growing? She already has her friends and her little world. I still remember the first time I was holding her in my arms as if it was yesterday."

Gawyn kissed the top of her head. "Time doesn't wait for anyone, love. It's just how it is."

"I wish we had a little more time," she whispered, barely audible.

Gawyn wrapped his arm around her and pressed her close to him. "We still have it. Don't think about it now. Not today. Today, we're celebrating."

Skylar looked up at him with a mischievous glint in her eyes, the same expression her daughter could replicate perfectly. "Does that mean we can relax a bit?" she asked, smirking.

"Just don't get too crazy." He laughed.

"How about something to drink? I can hunt us some mead?"

"That's a good idea. I'll stay and keep an eye on Thalia."

"I'll be right back." Sky gave him a quick peck on the lips and, before he could hold on to her, disappeared into the crowd.

Gawyn smiled and looked back toward the stage. The children's chatter quieted down as the first puppet appeared on the scene – a princess in a pretty pink dress and a chubby horse with one eye. The children were laughing already. He let his eyes roam the surroundings. Even on such a peaceful day, he could not just turn off his instincts. He was always on high alert for any possible threat.

Everything was just as it seemed. The children were utterly entranced by the story shown by the entertainers. Slightly away from them flocked the parents, keeping their distance and engaging in more refined, adult conversations, happily munching on treats and sipping beverages that had some alcohol in them, no doubt. The vendor with a basket full of candied apples, probably hired by the entertainer's group, walked between the benches and handed sweets to the children.

The rest of the marketplace looked as expected too. Slightly rowdy people were swaying on their way from one stall to another. The tents with little competitive games were bursting with excited roars and laughter. Vendors were shouting through one another, making sure everyone knew whose wares were the best—picture-perfect day of celebration.

Or was it?

Gawyn felt a prickling itch at the back of his neck – it was his body's way of signalling that something was wrong. He tensed and looked back at the children again. There was nothing out of the ordinary there. They were still laughing and giggling, munching away their sweets. He looked around, scanning the crowds, searching for anything that could have triggered his instinct.

He couldn't spot anything.

Gawyn took a few steps back to get a better look. He quickly checked the guards posted around the market. They were still on their posts, looking rather bored and annoyed that they were on duty today while their companions got time off to celebrate. So, they haven't seen any threat either.

And then he saw it, in the corner of his eye.

A figure in a heavy dark cloak walked through the crowd toward the narrow street leading out of the market. Some drunk reveller bumped into them, almost causing the deep hood to fall from their head, but a hand reached out from under the cloak to keep it in place.

A weathered-looking hand covered in scars and black inked lines.

Gawyn felt a cold spreading down his spine.

The memory appeared immediately in his mind: a barely lit audience room and a man with strange tattoos all over his skin.

"Guards!" he roared, but the market was so loud, it seemed the soldiers didn't hear him. He started moving when a small hand grabbed him.

"Daddy," said a small voice.

"Just a second, love," he said, craning his neck and looking at the dark figure who was almost out of the market already. "Go back to watch, and I'll be right there in a second."

He wanted to move, to run. There were only seconds left before that thing would disappear into the dark alleys. He couldn't have that.

But the small hand squeezed harder.

"But, Daddy," the girl said in such a desperate tone he looked down immediately, all thoughts of pursuit gone.

Thalia's face was unnaturally pale, and there was sweat beading on her forehead. Her dark eyes were shining, but not with excitement anymore. They were gleaming with fever.

"I feel sick, Daddy," she said, and her voice was already failing and barely audible.

"Thalia!" He caught her when her legs gave out under her and her eyes closed. A candied apple fell from her numb fingers and rolled away. "Thalia, talk to me!" he called desperately, but he knew already it was futile, as his daughter was lying in his arms motionlessly, her chest barely moving. Her body was so hot that he could feel it through all her dress and coat layers.

"Sky!" he roared desperately. The crowd already gathered around, and revel sounds died down. "Healer! I need a healer! Right now!"

The glass broke, and the warm liquid splashed the cobblestones when Skylar dropped the heavy mugs and dashed at him, her a face horrified mask of terror. "What happened?!"

"She fell sick suddenly," he replied, still helplessly trying to wake her. His heart hurt so badly that he was sure it would stop beating any second. Drawing every breath was tormenting through the vast lump built up in his throat. "Where is that healer?" he roared. 

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

16K 2.1K 44
[WATTYS 2022 Shortlist | Wattpad Editor's Picks July 2023 | 17 x Featured]. A fairy tale inspired by elements of Hindu mythology. Able to weave dream...
18.9K 2.1K 65
FIRST BOOK OF THE CHRONICLES OF FANTASILIA SERIES 𝘈𝘯 𝘢𝘨𝘦-𝘰𝘭𝘥 𝘳𝘪𝘷𝘢𝘭𝘳𝘺. 𝘈 𝘵𝘺𝘳𝘢𝘯𝘵 𝘲𝘶𝘦𝘦𝘯. 𝘈 𝘣𝘢𝘵𝘵𝘭𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘳𝘵�...
4.4K 383 36
|| Book One of the Dragonkind Duology || 𝙄𝙩 𝙬𝙖𝙨𝙣'𝙩 𝙖 𝙢𝙖𝙩𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙤𝙛 𝙞𝙛 𝙗𝙡𝙤𝙤𝙙 𝙬𝙤𝙪𝙡𝙙 𝙗𝙚 𝙨𝙥𝙞𝙡𝙩; 𝙞𝙩 𝙬𝙖𝙨 𝙬𝙝𝙚𝙣. For...
57.8K 2.9K 82
Damsels aren't supposed to wield swords, especially ancient swords that will have the blood of thousands spilled across it. ✵✵✵✵✵ Deep in the mountai...