[BL] Eternal Spring

By _earthshaker_

In the kingdom of Qiangda, the people live a harmonious life. The imperial family bears the mark of the phoen... More

Disclaimer
第一章
第二章
第三章
第四章
第五章
第六章
第七章
第八章
第十章
第十一章
第十二章
第十三章
第十四章
第十五章
第十六章
第十七章
第十八章
第十九章
第二十章
第二十一章
第二十二章
第二十三章
第二十四章
第二十五章
第二十六章
第二十七章
第二十八章
第二十九章
第三十章
第三十一章
第三十二章
第三十三章
第三十四章
第三十五章
第三十六章
第三十七章
第三十八章
第三十九章
第四十章
第四十一章
第四十二章

第九章

73 3 2
By _earthshaker_

The next few days were busy. The king occupied himself with state affairs as well as trying to figure out the identities of the assassin's who'd attacked during the banquet. It was frustrating for him as they seemed to have no origin. Furthermore, the two assassins that were captured had hid pills in their mouth and committed suicide the moment the interregation started.

Besides all the official issues weighing on his mind, Liu Qingyuan noticed something else was bothering him. He'd often pause to stare into space like he was reenacting a memory. His face would fall and he'd go back to reading reports with more vigour. But it didn't mean that was a good thing. Liu Qingyuan watched him as he stayed up well past bedtime and still woke up at the same time the next day. He rarely finished his meals, instead going to work on more reports or go to the courtyard and practice his sword-play as if he had something to prove.

"...your majesty..."

"Hm?" Jiang Zhilan grunted, reading a report but simultaneously looking like he was falling asleep.

"Maybe you should rest." Jiang Zhilan straightened, rubbing his eyes and fighting to keep them open.

"No need."

"..."

He looked over at the silence and saw Liu Qingyuan's dubiously raised eyebrow. "I just...as king, I have a responsibility to the people and the problems they need help with."

"...Where did that come from?"

"Piss off," The king said rudely, at the end of his patience. Liu Qingyuan caught the hint of insecurity in his eyes. After a few beats of silence, Jiang Zhilan turned back to him. "I told you to get lost!"

Liu Qingyuan bowed and retreated from the room. Outside, Eunuch Shuang was falling asleep on the post. The sound of the door closing startled him awake.

"Huh? What?" Looking around he spotted Liu Qingyuan and made to enter the room. He was blocked by Liu Qingyuan's arm. "What? His majesty is still working at this late hour?" Liu Qingyuan only moved when Eunuch Shuang moved away. He copied him, leaning against a post, crossing his arms and closing his eyes. "Guard Liu, aren't you going to do something?" Shuang fretted. "It's not good for his majesty to work so late."

"Be quiet," Liu Qingyuan said as politely as he could. When Eunuch Shuang continued to fuss, he said disgruntled, "He'll go to sleep soon."

"-and his health-what? How do you know?" Liu Qingyuan's mouth was in a severe line, prompting the Eunuch to clamp his mouth closed and retreat to his own post. A half hour passed slowly. Abruptly, Liu Qingyuan pushed off his post and reentered the hall. Eunuch Shuang was startled awake and his sputtering was promptly ignored.

Jiang Zhilan was sprawled across his desk, eyes closed in deep sleep. A strange emotion rose up in him at the sight of an ink smudge on his cheek. He raised his hand, but dropped it as Eunuch Shuang appeared beside him. He gasped, looking to Liu Qingyuan for help. The latter sighed mentally. He hadn't expected him to actually fall asleep, just for his temper to cool and become more compliant.

"Your majesty," he shook his shoulder. "Your majesty," Jiang Zhilan mumbled, falling back asleep. He leaned lower, breath tickling the shell of his ear. "Jiang. Zhi. Lan."

Eunuch Shuang looked offended. "You dare-"

"Whaaat," Jiang Zhilan groaned. "So noisy..."

Eunuch Shuang kneeled. "Forgive me-us, your majesty. You fell asleep and-" Liu Qingyuan stiffened at the arm that looped over his neck.

"Tired. Just let me sleep here."

"Y-your majesty," Liu Qingyuan's eye twitched. Eunuch Shuang looked like he was on the verge of bawling his eyes out. "It-it's not good for your health."

"Carry me back?" He mumbled, Eunuch Shuang blinked, not having heard his low voice. Liu Qingyuan stiffened at the arm that tightened around his neck. "I know you heard me."

"Your majesty-" Liu Qingyuan grimaced, trying to push him off but he clung to him like an aggrieved widow. He relented when the both of them almost fell, scooping up Jiang Zhilan from his chair. Eunuch Shuang's eyes bugged out.

"W-what are you doing?! His majesty's body cannot be damaged! Put him down right now!!" Liu Qingyuan ignored him, glaring at the faint smirk on Jiang Zhilan's face. His head fell onto his chest with a small thump and he burrowed closer, already half asleep.

"Warm," he murmured. Liu Qingyuan suddenly felt embarrassed, wanting to drop the king from his arms. But surely, a large scandal would emerge and he'd be beheaded for his actions.

Outside, the dozing guard snapped to attention, eyes widening at the bizarre scene and slapping his partner awake. Liu Qingyuan sent them an icy glare and their gazes plummeted to the floor. The pattern continued all the way to the king's chambers, Eunuch Shuang attracting unnecessary attention with his squawking.

Jiang Zhilan tucked his head closer, the black silk curtain of his hair cascading down Liu Qingyuan's arm. He subconsciously drew him closer. Just as they turned the corner to the king's chambers, the eldest prince, Jiang Baiyi appeared from the darkness like a ghost. Liu Qingyuan stopped, automatically shifting away. The eldest prince's sneering gaze roamed over the image presented in front of him, hateful eyes traveling up to Liu Qingyuan's own sharp gaze. The latter only inclined his head, his greeting rude in the presence of the eldest prince but he couldn't put down the king, couldn't he?

The eldest prince held unbridled anger in his eyes, likely remembering the last time Liu Qingyuan had disrespected him. The latter stood stiffly, waiting for the eldest prince to say something or move.

"Your highness!" Eunuch Shuang's voice rang out, breaking the stare-off. The eunuch bowed low, and the eldest prince haughtily looked at Liu Qingyuan, an expectant eyebrow raised. Except, he didn't move, arms still full of Jiang Zhilan's sleeping form.

With a hateful sneer, he shoved past, bumping roughly into Liu Qingyuan's shoulder. Jiang Zhilan startled half-awake, bleary eyes looking around. "Huh? W-wha?" He blinked, fully realizing his position and blushed. "Ah, put me down."

"No need." Liu Qingyuan continued walking, letting Eunuch Shuang push open the door to his bedchamber. "We're already here."

"I-I can walk now."

"Go to sleep."

"..." His head thumped back down on his chest. Eyes drooping quickly. He flopped back as Liu Qingyuan set him on the bed, sinking comfortably into the bedding. Liu Qingyuan hesitated, then drew the quilt over him and tucked it around his form. Jiang Zhilan hummed, eyes closing all the way.

As Liu Qingyuan turned to leave, Jiang Zhilan was hit with a wave of loneliness. He reached out, grabbing Liu Qingyuan's wrist. "Stay with me?" Liu Qingyuan turned, expression unreadable as he stared down at Jiang Zhilan's form. "You can rest in the side hall."

"Your majesty-"

Jiang Zhilan opened his eyes, revealing his sleepy peach blossom gaze. They seemed to plead with him, and Liu Qingyuan, who'd never had someone look at him like that, felt his icy exterior warming a little. "Hao.*" Jiang Zhilan smiled, letting go of his hand and snuggling back into his blankets. Liu Qingyuan stared down at him for a moment, sighed and headed to the side hall. He wasn't sure what was going on, but it made his chest ache terribly.

(*Hao - ok)

◆◇◆◇◆

Jiang Zhilan stood with his arms out, spacing out as Eunuch Shuang helped him dress. "Your majesty? What has gotten you into such a good mood?"

"Huh?" Jiang Zhilan realized he'd been smiling like a fool. "A-ah, nothing much." He lightly touched his cheek, the one that'd laid on Liu Qingyuan's chest. He could still remember the heat of his body.

"Your majesty," Eunuch Shuang panicked. "Are you well? Are you sick? Why is your face red?" Jiang Zhilan startled. Was he blushing?

"N-nothing!!" He leapt off the platform, running away to morning court.

"Your majesty!!," Eunuch Shuang panicked. "Don't run!!"

◆◇◆◇◆

Morning court was noisier than usual. Besides that, only Eunuch Shuang accompanied Jiang Zhilan. Liu Qingyuan was off on another task.

The official's stood in rows, quieting their gossiping the moment they noticed him. Jiang Zhilan strood up the aisle, taking a seat on his dragon throne. The moment he sat, the officials all collectively kneeled down, kowtowing. "Wan sui, wan sui, wan wan sui!*"

(*Wan sui, wan sui, wan wan sui - literally means "ten thousand years", used to wish someone a long life)

"Rise." In a cacophony of noise, the officials rose, coughing exaggeratedly as they glanced about each other. They went through the ongoing issues of the kingdom, the officials offering advice, as well as a few new issues that had cropped up. At last, the officials moved on to Jiang Zhilan's most hated topic; heirs. He'd only been emperor for a few years and everyone was pressuring him so much! Surely, couldn't he have a few years of freedom?

"Your majesty, it seems...you haven't visited any of the consorts in quite a while..." Jiang Zhilan subtly pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Mm." He grunted.

"It is of utmost importance to produce an heir while your majesty is in his prime." The official bowed low.

"I'm not even 22," Jiang Zhilan groaned lowly. "Yes, yes, I understand." He was ready to move on when another official spoke up.

"Your majesty, forgive me but I must insist you show the consorts some affection, or even marry an empress." Jiang Zhilan raised a brow.

"Are you saying I am not treating them well?'

"N-no! Not at all! It's just that..." He hesitated, glancing around at his colleagues. They sent him subtle gestures to continue and he reluctantly steeled his nerves. "There has been a rumour..." Jiang Zhilan prompted him to continue. "That your majesty...your majesty favours men." It took Jiang Zhilan a moment to process.

"W-what?" The old man immediately kneeled down.

"I deserve to die, your majesty!" Jiang Zhilan's brow crashed down like thunder.

"What nonsense! Are you officials only good for gossiping?!" The entire room fell to their knees.

"Your majesty, please calm down!"

"Y-your majesty," The old official from before dared to continue. "It's just that, people say they saw a man carrying you back to your bedchamber and did not come out for the whole night!" His colleague hit him.

"Do you want to die?" He hissed, still kneeling. The room trembled as Jiang Zhilan's face turned red. But it wasn't from anger, he was blushing.

"No, that's not what-he-" Jiang Zhilan melted into his seat, wishing a hole could open up under his feet and swallow him whole.

"This old servant begs your majesty to not deviate from the path of heaven. Please reconsider!"

"We beg your majesty to not deviate from the path of heaven. Please reconsider!" The entire room chorused.

"But I didn't even-it's...it's not like that!" Jiang Zhilan shouted, standing up from his seat. He looked to Eunuch Shuang for help, far too flustered to think straight. The shocked Eunuch quickly regained his composure and shouted out.

"You dare sully the king's name?! Guards, take him out and give him his punishment!!" Two red-clad imperial guards burst in, advancing on the floundering official and dragging him out.

"Have mercy," He wailed. "Your majesty, have mercy!!" Jiang Zhilan collapsed in his chair, covering his burning face.

"Court is adjourned," He said wearily. The officials hastily scrambled to their feet, getting out of there as fast as they could. Oh dear, could this get any worse?

A/N  hehe ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8M 94.3K 78
Main story:COMPLETED Extras:ONGOING ___________________________ After his miserable death, Su Ying transmigrates into a glass-hearted 'white lotus' '...
36.4K 2.4K 200
~ MDZS Alternate Universe ~ BL / yaoi 🔞 Lan Xichen, almost 28, is a lawyer, a talented one at that, who knows how to work hard, and also how to...
1.2K 144 9
In virtual reality, an artificial intelligence becomes self-aware. What happens next? A hacker trying to take down an evil corporation from the insid...
351K 19.7K 37
"Lu ShiZun... I like you." "I like you too XiaoYin." "... My kind of like is where we'd tumble in bed all day all night kind of like ShiZun..." *fero...