Sweet Persuasion (Book 4 of t...

By MelonDiaries

*ON HOLD* April Nolan had no luck with men after her last relationship got her hospitalized. But then, her lu... More

Copyright/Disclaimer
Prologue
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Nineteen

Eighteen

76 6 0
By MelonDiaries

"April? Hey?" Reed waved his hand in front of my face since I briefly blanked out.

I turned to him, dumbfounded. "Did I hear you right? Me, going to New York with Hardy?"

"Yes, I mean, you are his executive secretary. So it's obvious you'd go with him along with his promotion. Unless you're going to quit being his secretary," he paused in thought. "I hope not," he softly added.

"What? No!" I gaped at him. "Why would I quit just because of that?" I scoffed. "If you think about it, for the years I've been working with Hardy, there were a lot of reasons for me to quit. But, unfortunately, this is not one of those good reasons."

"Then, if he does end up with the promotion, you'd be willing to move to New York?" He asked, sounding hopeful.

I thought about it for a second. "Maybe, I mean, I've been living here in Chicago for most of my life. A new scenery might be something I need right now." Considering I also have a crazy ex-boyfriend turned stalker, I thought.

"Well, I'm glad you are open to it," he remarked with a relieving sigh and smiled. "And I think you'll love New York. Have you been there?"

"Yes, I have. Twice when I was in college with some friends, but not recently."

"If you got the time now, would you be willing to go there?"

"What? You mean, now?" I looked at him dumbfounded. He wouldn't.

"Not now, per se, maybe in the following week, if you like," he timidly said.

I regarded him for a moment. "Are you asking me to go on vacation with you to New York?"

"Well, if you feel that's untoward, I could say it'll be a business trip?" His words trailed into a question rather than a statement.

I smirked, shaking my head. "We just had our first date, and you're already asking to do such a big step and travel with you out of state. So let's see how tonight goes, Reed."

He chuckled. "Fair enough. I hope my offer wouldn't affect your judgment of me."

"Oh, don't worry. I already know a bit about you that this hardly causes a shift of my opinion on you."

He laughed. "Now, I'm scared to ask what you think of me."

"I hope that'll be enough for you not to curiously inquire me about it. I'm afraid you'd think badly of me too."

He grinned cheekily. "I've already seen you blind drunk, April. And I hadn't thought badly of you even then, rather you were endearing."

"Well, I'm flattered. No one told me I'm endearing when I'm knee-deep in tequila," I said and laughed. "Surely, you have better choices of women out there instead of an outspoken, slightly alcoholic, legal secretary like me," I lightly jested.

I could sense his frown before seeing it.

"Don't judge yourself too harshly, April. You are worth any man's respect and affection," he stated.

His comment stunned me. I could feel my cheek flush in embarrassment. He might have been the first man who said that to me, other than my own father. However, the way he said it was different. It made my heart flutter and filled with warmth.

****

When we were close to the apartment, Reed asked where the entrance to the parking area was. I got confused by his question; therefore, he pointed at the garment bag on the back passenger seat.

"Did you bring a change of clothes? Did you expect that I'll be long before I finished work?" I asked.

"I considered it and came prepared. Either way, I won't postpone tonight for anything," he replied with a wink.

"Do we have some sort of reservation that we have to be on time?"

"Well, in a sense, no...."

"In a sense? What do you mean? Where are we going exactly?"

It took him a moment to reply as we entered the residence parking area. I talked with security, who thankfully knew I was staying at the Hawksley's residence. He led us to a vacant lot for visitors to park. Once we were parked, I asked him again.

He contemplated with a sigh and turned off the car's ignition. "I was invited to a party event by one of my clients tonight."

"And you didn't think to tell me this before rather than now because?" I asked sarcastically.

"I did say it was a surprise... so..." He trailed off with an impish smile.

"Is it a formal party? Where is it held? And who are the people mostly invited? Let me know now rather than later because you might not know how I'll react then." I warned lightly.

"I'm sorry. I didn't think you'd feel strongly about this since you seem to be someone who doesn't have many limitations."

"Does crashing a party uninvited seems like something I'd do? I didn't think you have such an opinion of me," I said haughtily.

He laughed and shook his head. "I see what you did there. And, I'm sorry, April. I didn't mean to make this uncomfortable for you. If you'd like, we can always not go. I only planned this for tonight since the party is held at a lovely venue." He smiled mischievously.

"And where is that?"

"The Crystal Garden at Navy pier."

I gasped. "What party are we going to?" Don't tell me it's a wedding.

"It's a company function. Don't worry. It's a work event, I assure you. So you won't be meeting my parents or anything," he said and chuckled, seeing my bafflement.

Thankfully, I saw this as an excellent opportunity to get out of the car and a moment to calm myself. After Reed got his things, we headed towards the elevator and remembered something.

"Can we stop by the lobby? I need to check the mailbox. It'll only take a second," I said.

"Sure."

As we exited the elevator, I was about to make a quick beeline towards the mailbox for the tenants when I heard someone call out to me.

I turned towards the visitor's lounge and saw Steve hurrying towards me.

"Steve, what are you—" I sounded breathless from my shock of seeing him.

Steve smiled and held up a thick brown envelope. "Do you have some time tonight? It's your papers for your case—oh! Reed, what are you doing here?" Upon Reed's arrival, his expression hardened, who was a couple of steps behind me.

"Steve, hi. Well, April and I have plans tonight. And you? Why are you here?" Reed asked, stopped just close to my right.

Steve held up the envelope again. "I have some personal business with April here. It's nothing for you to be concerned about."

"Is this about her case against the crazy bastard?" Reed asked without hesitation.

I peered briefly at Reed, who was stoic. And then turned to Steve when he replied.

"Yes, it is. I'm sorry if I'm intruding. I didn't mean to interrupt on anything," Steve said sincerely, and yet there was a look in his eyes. He seemed content to have intruded.

I deliberated whether to take the file and asked Steve to come back tomorrow or go up with us and talk for a bit (since he did make the trip personally to get my case files for me). However, as I glanced between the two men, who were eying each other wearily, I decided it was best not to put them in the same room for too long.

"Steve, thank you for making the trip and personally handing me the paperwork. But I have plans with Reed tonight. If you had called me earlier, I could have made some time for you. Would it be okay if we talked tomorrow instead?"

He turned away from Reed and smiled at me. "Of course, April. I knew I should have texted and called you before coming here. I wasn't expecting to stay for long anyway. But I wanted to personally check up on you and see if you are okay," he said and held out the envelope.

I walked up to him and lightly gripped his arm before taking it off his hand. "Thank you, Steve. I appreciate it. And I'm doing well."

"Well, that's good enough for me. So then, I shall leave you," he replied while slowly retreating towards the exit.

"I'll call you tomorrow then?" I called out while timidly waving my hand.

He nodded. "I'll be waiting."

I stood there for a moment until Reed cleared his throat, snapping me out of my stupor. "So, if you don't mind me asking, why was Steve handling your case file?"

"Julian's lawyers were helping me, but then there was a complication... so, Steve offered to help me as a pro bono," I replied vaguely and slowly headed towards the mailbox.

"Why didn't asked the firm for help?" He asked, sounding a bit hurt.

I wasn't confident in the expression on my face, so I kept my back to him. "I wasn't really thinking at first. But then, Julian offered to help, and I took it. So I thought that was that, and then—" I trailed off, feeling a bit choked up.

"If it's okay with you, can I look at the case file?"

I hesitated for a moment and composed my expression before turning around to hand over the envelope. I headed towards the mailbox and fished the spare key in my purse. The mails could be gathered in one hand. After closing the mailbox, I briefly checked if any was important. But nothing stood out, so I tucked them in my purse.

As I was about to tell Reed we'll head up, I stopped once I saw him flipping through the thick pile of paper.

"You know you can read that upstairs," I said lightly and nudged him towards the elevator.

His eyebrow creased in concentration before he looked up to me and nodded. "How long do you say you'd take to get ready?" He asked.

"Not too long. Are we in a hurry? You did say there wasn't any reservation."

He shook his head. "No, but I'd want to look at this a bit thoroughly if you let me."

I nodded. "Sure. Take your time."

From there, it was a quiet ascent to the apartment floor. Every time I opened my mouth, it was the direct him inside the unit, and then the living room and the powder room, which he could use to change.

"If you need anything, just yell out, okay?" I said while slowly pacing towards my bedroom.

"Take your time, April. I can wait," he replied with a smile.

With that, I left him. I quickly visited the bathroom and showered as fast as possible. Then, I dashed to my bedroom and fished out all of my choice of dresses I had prepared for this date. It came down to two cocktail satin dresses. One was a deep shade of red, and the other an elegant violent.

After much deliberation, I went with the red dress and paired it with the same shade of heels. Next, I grabbed the silver clutch to match with the accessories. Once I was dressed, I sat down in front of my vanity mirror, putting on my make-up skill to the test. My hair was another challenge as well.

When my preparation was finished, I did one last look in the mirror, assessing my latest handiwork. I beamed and nodded at myself in approval.

I made my way to the living room and called out for Reed. It took me a second to notice him since he wasn't where I expected him to be. He was sitting by the kitchen counter.

Upon hearing me, he looked up from something on the counter in front of him. He did a double-take. His eyes were wide in awe.

"April?" He breathlessly asked.

I smirked, feeling proud that I got a reaction from him. "Did you expect anyone else to be here tonight?" I jokingly asked.

He grinned and chuckled. "I'm sorry. You look lovely, April. So, are you ready to go?" He got off the high chair and gathered the pile of papers spread on the counter.

"Thank you. I'm ready. But," I regarded him for a moment, "do you need some more time to look at those?"

"No, I've read through the important points. Thank you."

I cleared my throat. "Do you have any advice for me?"

"Ah, well—" He trailed off in thought. "I'm not familiar with criminal law like Steve since he did work at the district's attorney's office for a couple of years after he passed the bar. But I did study it in law school." He smiled bleakly.

"Is it bad? Am I—"

"Oh, no! You aren't in any way in trouble at all," he interjected. He walked up to me and held out his hand. I grabbed it, and he briefly squeezed my hand. "I'm confident you'll get a fair result. Did Steve tell you anything on what he'll do next from here?"

"He said we'll be appealing to the court for a restraining order against him. Would that be the best course of action now?"

"Steve knows best. And I agree with him that a restraining order is best for your protection. And I know you are being cautious as well. Plus, this place is very secure. So it's nice of Mr. Hawksley to let you stay here while he and his wife are on their honeymoon."

"Ah yeah," I smiled. "Zoey is like a sister to me. So, Julian's kind of like my brother-in-law now."

He regarded me again in awe. "You know, I don't know that many people who can regard Julian Hawksley like any other man. He's an influential person. Even being friends with his young brother, I don't have the guts to see him other than this business tycoon."

I scoffed and smirked mischievously. "Trust me. Julian is just an ordinary man with bigger responsibilities. Of course, he has his weaknesses and strength. But Julian likes to flaunt his prowess."

He laughed. "That I can agree."

Seeing how the mood shifted, I took the lead. "Shall we head out?" I asked and then noticed his changed outfit. "You look lovely, by the way."

His cheeks lightly flushed. "Thank you."

"So, what kind of party is this again?"

"As I've said, it's a company party. So, you don't need to be nervous."

"Which company?"

"One of the firm's clients, actually."

"Wait, is anyone from work invited to this event?" My heart fluttered from anxiety.

"No, just me." He reassured with a smile. "Don't overthink of it, April. I'm not a significant person. No one would care, other than me, having you as my date."

I pursed my lips, thinking otherwise. Say that to the female staff at the firm, then we'll see.

A/N: Thank you so much for the patience and support you gave me last year. May this year be more fruitful and fulfilling as well. To more stories to come.

Happy New Year!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.3M 1.1M 61
Now available in paperback! "I LOVE IT!" - CarniaHolmes "I'm going to break your nose, because I don't like your face," Carter said. She pointed...
10.7M 74.9K 22
(Sample. Watch out for the official book release on January 31, 2015!) The women in Brianne Montgomery's family have a curse. And she isn't going t...
14.6K 568 63
There are few things that humble Allie Carson. As a senior, she is a central part of the popular crowd and can have any guy she wants - and she knows...
2.4M 58.9K 46
EDITING [I marched up to him, "Where the hell were you? I thought something happened to you. Did you not care enough to..." My rambling was cut short...