The life of Eve De La Cruz

Oleh Lilith_Deckerstar

Eve is the daughter of a third-generation American and the youngest Crawley daughter, but when they died she... Lebih Banyak

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Three

Chapter Twenty-two

360 8 0
Oleh Lilith_Deckerstar

Eve and Emilio were currently in a motorcar on their way to Downton after sailing to England from Spain. They had received a telegram from Eve's Aunt Cora that Sybil was going to give birth at any moment and that she wanted them to be there when it did happen. Eve was excited for her cousin and her husband.

"Do you think the baby will be a boy or a girl?" Eve asked her husband.

"Well, as a man I am expected to say 'boy', but I have a feeling that the baby will be a girl," Emilio responded.

"I know that we are not expecting at the moment, but if we were, would you like a boy or a girl?" She inquired.

"As I have said before, while the country expects a boy to inherit the crown, I could not care less if any of our children are boys or girls so long as they are happy and healthy," Emilio replied.

"Right answer," Eve said before she lightly kissed her husband's cheek.

The royal couple continued to talk for the remainder of their journey to Downton. When they arrived at Downton, everyone, except for Sybil, was lined up outside to greet them. Alfred stepped up to the motorcar and opened the door for Emilio and Eve to step out. Hera hopped out and sat down next to Eve. Cora curtsied and Robert bowed to the young couple.

"Your Highnesses, welcome back to Downton Abbey," Cora greeted as she curtsied to her niece and nephew-in-law.

"Thank you, Aunt Cora," Eve said before she hugged her aunt and then her uncle, "I was so glad when I received your telegram. How is Sybil doing?"

"Much like any woman expecting her first child," Cora replied with a smile, "Dr. Clarkson was here last night and he said that everything is fine. Your uncle has invented Sir Philip Tapsell for dinner and to stay with us so he can deliver the baby."

"I thought Dr. Clarkson was supposed to deliver the baby with him knowing all of us and our histories?"

"Your uncle wanted someone who has delivered babies of many noble families," She replied, "Now, let's all head in and have some tea. You can tell us everything in the drawing room."

Emilio and Eve followed Robert and Cora inside Downton with the others following behind them. After talking in the drawing room, Eve went up with Hera and Mary to visit Sybil in her room. Unfortunately, Hera could not enter the room due to Sybil's condition and stayed outside by the door. Eve and Sybil had missed each other and talked about whatever they could think of.

That evening, everyone, except Sybil, sat at the table along with Sir Philip for dinner. Eve did not know much about the man but she could certainly tell that Sir Philip was full of himself.

"The dear Duchess of Truro is full of your praises, Sir Philip. Then, of course, you know that," Violet complimented.

"She had quite a time when she was first married, but I said to her, 'Never fear, Duchess, I'll get a baby out of you one way or another," He replied, causing Robert to choke lightly on his drink.

"And so you did."

"Three boys, and as a result, a secure dynasty, I'm glad to say," Sir Philip added before addressing Eve and Emilio, "Your Royal Highnesses, if I may be forward when it is time for your children to enter this world, I would be delighted to deliver them."

"While my husband and I are grateful for your offer, Sir Philip," Eve said, "We have already decided on a physician who will deliver our child or children when the time comes."

"But you see no complications here?" Robert inquired, concerned for Sybil.

"None at all," Sir Philip assured, "Lady Sybil is a perfect model of health and beauty."

"We told our local doctor we'd send a message to him when it looks as if the baby's coming," Cora informed him.

"Dr. Clarkson has known us all since we were girls," Mary smiled.

"Yet what's needed here, Lady Mary, is a knowledge of childbirth, nothing more," Sir Philip argued.

"I was a nurse before I became part of the Spanish Royal family, Sir Philip, and I worked under Dr. Clarkson," Eve informed him, sticking up for Mary, "I agree with my Cousin, Lady Mary, that Dr. Clarkson should attend the birth since he knows all of our medical histories. It would only seem wise."

"If it soothes you, ma'am, and Lady Mary, then of course. He's most welcome," He said, knowing he had lost the argument.

The next morning at breakfast, Matthew walked into the room to join Edith, Robert, Eve, and Emilio. Robert speaks with Mr. Carson while the other three sit at the table. Matthew picks what he wants from the buffet before taking a seat.

"The editor of The Sketch wants me to write for him," Edith announced with the letter from the editor in her hand, "He saw my letter to The Times and wants to give me a regular column."

"How regular? And what about?" Matthew inquired.

"Once a week, and I can write about whatever I like," She replied, "It would be the problems faced by a modern woman rather than the fall of the Ottoman Empire, but even so."

"Will you write under your own name?"

"I hadn't thought."

"You won't have an option," Robert told his daughter as he took a seat, "That's what he's buying, that's what he wants: your name and title."

"I don't know. I thought Edith's letter to The Times was very interesting," Matthew said, trying not to let Robert lower his daughter's confidence.

"I agree. I had even shown it to my mother-in-law, and she enjoyed it as well," Eve spoke.

"Don't bother, Matthew, Eve. I'm always a failure in this family," Edith told them before standing up and walking out of the room.

"I do wish you would not say such hurtful things, Uncle Robert," She scolded him, "If this is something that Edith is passionate about then we should support her, not cut her down."

Robert didn't say anything and continued eating his breakfast as did everyone else.

After breakfast, Eve gathered a few things she would need for painting and went to the grounds with Hera. When she found a good spot, Eve set up the easel and chair before placing the canvas on the easel and sat down on the chair. She selected a few colors to put on her palette before picking a brush and began painting.

Eve had painted the landscape of Downton Abbey and the village for years and had even done portraits of her friends and family, but this time had felt different. She knew it was because it was the first time she had done it since before she was married. Eve had even painted the royal palace and many other landscapes she and Emilio had visited. The day went on as Eve carefully painted and made sure that each brushstroke did not steer away from what she wanted to create.

When Eve painted a good portion of the painting, she decided it was enough for now and returned to the house with Hera and her painting supplies. After putting the supplies back in her room, Eve went to visit Sybil in her room. Unfortunately, Hera was not allowed so she stayed in the hall guarding the door.

"How is the mother-to-be?" Eve asked Sybil as she walked into the room.

"Restless," She replied.

Eve sat on the edge of the bed, "Many mothers with their first child feel the same way, but they are so relieved to know that their child is now safely in this world."

"I was telling Mary the other day before you arrived that I felt as big as a house, and I wouldn't recommend this to anyone," Sybil said.

"Well, unfortunately, I am in a position in which I must have children," Eve said. She and Sybil shared a chuckle.

They continued to talk for a little longer before Eve heard the dressing gong. The two said their goodbyes, and Eve returned to her room with Hera.

That evening, nothing new with Sybil had developed yet, and Tom was getting anxious. Mary, Edith, and Eve came down the stairs for dinner. Tom and Emilio stood at the bottom of the stairs.

"Are we the first down? How is Sybil?" Mary asked Tom.

"Sleeping, thank God," He replied, "She's been restless all afternoon. I don't think it'll be long now.

"I'm sorry it couldn't have been in Dublin," Eve sympathized.

"We know how much it meant," Edith added.

"Nothing means more than she does," Tom said.

"Spoken like true husband," Emilio commented with a smile.

The four walked into the drawing room together. When the group entered the room, everyone else was there, including Violet.

"Hello, Granny," Edith greeted cheerfully, "You're here. How nice."

"Your grandmother will be with us every night until the baby's born," Cora said.

"I hate to get news second-hand," Violet explained.

"Well, you won't have long to wait," Sir Phillip assured.

"I thought I'd bring up Dr. Clarkson after we've eaten," Cora informed him.

"Yes, I've been talking to Lord Grantham about the good doctor."

"Sir Philip feels the room would be too crowded," Robert clarified, "It might be better to leave old Clarkson out of it for the time being."

"But I said I'd telephone," Cora said, not backing down.

"Well, it really isn't necessary," Sir Philip reiterated.

"I've given him my word," Cora pressed.

"Why don't I run down in the car after dinner, and fetch him?" Edith suggested.

"I swear that man only thinks he is superior to Dr. Clarkson because he has delivered royalty," Eve whispered in annoyance to her husband sitting next to her, "I don't want that man anywhere near me when I am with child. Dr. Clarkson should be the one to deliver Sybil's baby. He knows not only her history, but mine, Edith's, and Mary's. It is the wisest decision to pick Clarkson."

At dinner, everyone was anxious for any news of Sybil. It was quiet, except for the occasional sigh.

"There's nothing more tiring than waiting for something to happen," Cora voiced.

"Edith, have you written back to your editor yet?" Matthew asked.

"What's this?" Violet inquired.

"Edith has had an invitation to write a newspaper column," He explained, "When may she expect an offer to appear on the London stage?"

"See?" Edith muttered.

The door opened, and the midwife walked into the room.

"Oh, God! Is it beginning?" Tom asked in a panicked voice. Sir Philip nodded.

Dr. Clarkson arrived and went upstairs to check on Sybil. When he was done, Dr. Clarkson called everyone into the library and expressed his concern about Sybil.

"What do you mean 'concerned'?" Robert inquired.

"Lady Sybil's ankles are swollen. She seems....muddled," Dr. Clarkson explained.

"What sort of muddled?" Cora asked.

"Not quite there, not quite in the present moment," He clarified.

"And what do you think it means?" Mary asked.

"It means she's having a baby," Sir Philip rudely interrupted, "A word, Dr. Clarkson."

The two men then left the room.

"Sir Philip mustn't bully him into silence," Cora stated.

"My dear, this is just Clarkson's professional pride, like a barber asking, "Who last cut your hair?" They always want to be better than any other practitioner," Robert responded.

"But we must listen to what he has to say," Matthew reminded him.

"I quite agree," Violet said.

"I don't want to hurt Sir Philip's feelings," Robert said, defending the man.

"If there's one thing that I'm quite indifferent to it's Sir Philip Tapsell's feelings."

"Is Sir Philip's feelings truly more important than the health of Sybil and her child, uncle?" Eve questioned Robert, letting her feelings about the situation known, "Are you truly willing to risk their lives because you wish to have a man, who has been knighted and delivered many children of nobility but knows nothing about Sybil, deliver her child? Dr. Clarkson, knowing Sybil and her history, should be the one in charge, not Sir Philip."

No one said anything else after that, and the room remained quiet until Dr. Clarkson and Sir Philip returned.

"It's my belief that Lady Sybil is at risk of eclampsia," Dr. Clarkson announced.

Eve's eyes grew in horror and covered her mouth with her hand. Emilio took notice of his wife and held her other hand to comfort her.

"What is that?" Robert asked.

"A rare condition from which she is not suffering!" Sir Philip assured.

"Tell him why you think she may be," Cora instructed Dr. Clarkson.

"Her baby is small, she is confused, and there is far too much albumen that is, protein - in her urine," He explained.

"Dr. Clarkson, please! Have you forgotten my mother is present?" Robert scolded.

"Peace. A woman of my age can face reality far better than most men," Violet declared, holding her hand up to silence her son.

"The fact remains, if I am right, we must act at once," Dr. Clarkson stressed.

"And do what?" Mary asked.

"Get her down to the hospital, and deliver the child by Caesarean section."

"But is that safe?" Matthew inquired.

It is the opposite of safe. It would expose mother and child to untold danger! She could pick up any kind of infection in a public hospital!" Sir Philip shouted.

"An immediate delivery is the only chance of avoiding the fits brought on by the trauma of natural birth!" Dr. Clarkson stated, "It may not work, but -"

"Honesty at last. Even if she were at risk from eclampsia, which she is not, a cesarean is a gamble which might kill either or both of them."

"I think we must support Sir Philip in this," Robert concluded.

"But it's not our decision," Mary spoke, "What does Tom say?"

"Tom has not hired Sir Philip. He is not master here-"

"But he is Sybil's husband and the father of her child," Eve interrupted, her uncle.

"Nonetheless, I will not put Sybil at risk on a whim. If you are sure, Sir Philip?"

"I am quite, quite certain," He calmly replied.

"You're being ridiculous. Obviously, we have to talk to Tom," Eve countered.

Robert turned to his mother, hoping what she said would be on his side.

"Don't look at me. Eve is right. She was a nurse for many years. The decision lies with the chauffeur," Violet stated.

Everyone, except Violet, rushed upstairs to consult Tom on what he would like to do for Sybil and the baby.

"Could we get her to hospital?" Tom asked.

"To move her would be tantamount to murder," Sir Philip explained.

"Sir Philip, admit you're beginning to detect the symptoms yourself. You can see her distress!" Dr. Clarkson prompted.

"Can you?" Cora asked.

"Yes, Lady Sybil is in distress," Sir Philip argued, "She's about to give birth."

"Sir Philip, just admit that this is not the distress a woman has when expecting her first child," Eve told him.

"Lord Grantham, Mr. Branson, time is running out. We'd be at the hospital by now if we'd acted at once," Dr. Clarkson said.

"The baby would be born If she has the operation now, do you swear you can save her?" Tom asked.

"I cannot swear it, no," He sighed, "But if we do not operate, and I am right about her condition, then she will die."

"If, if, if, if! Lord Grantham, can you please take command?" Sir Philip requested.

Tom looked back and forth at the two doctors, looking completely helpless. He only wanted to do what would be best for his wife and child, but the stress was overwhelming.

"Tom, Dr. Clarkson is not sure he can save her. Sir Philip is certain he can bring her through it with a living child," Robert told his son-in-law, "Isn't a certainty stronger than a doubt?"

"I don't mean to insult Sir Philip, but Dr. Clarkson knows Sybil. He's known her all her life just as Eve said earlier," Cora countered.

"So you'd take her to the hospital?" Tom inquired.

"I would've taken her an hour ago!"

Sybil's screams from her room echoed through the corridors.

"God help us!" Tom muttered, running to be at his wife's side.

Everyone, but the women and the doctors, returned to the library. They all waited anxiously for any word of what was happening in the room. Tom stood and looked as if anything could send him over the edge.

"Would you like anything, Mama?" Robert asked, pouring himself a drink.

"No. Just good news of the baby and a car to take me home. I don't suppose I shall get either before long," She replied.

"What about you, Tom?"

"I just feel so helpless," Tom said.

"We men are always helpless when a baby's in the picture," Emilio puts a comforted hand on Tom's shoulder.

Their heads all turned when they heard it open and saw Eve enter.

"You can come up. It's a girl," She announced.

"And they're both...?" Tom began.

"They're fine," She told him.

"Oh, thank God," Violet breathed, "And hallelujah!"

Tom rushed out of the library and upstairs with Eve. When they entered Sybil's room, Tom saw his wife holding their newborn daughter. Sybil looked up at her husband, who sat beside her on the bed. They both looked down at their daughter.

"She's so beautiful," Tom murmured, looking at his daughter, "Oh, my darling, I do love you so much."

Tom kisses his wife on the forehead.

"I just want to sleep, really," Sybil requested.

"Of course you do. You've earned it. She's a wonderful baby," Cora said.

"I think we should let her sleep," Sir Philip advised.

Tom, Mary, Edith, and Eve left the room so Cora could be with her daughter. Moments later, Cora and Sir Philip joined them in the corridor. Cora walks up to her husband and kisses him as they hold hands.

"I'm sorry we doubted," Cora apologized.

"No," Robert said.

"As to that, Lady Grantham, it's always a good idea to forget most of what was said during the waiting time, and simply enjoy the result," Sir Philip said.

"Is there anything more to be done?" Mary asked.

"Not really," He answered, "The nurse will stay with her, and so I suggest we all get some sleep and meet again refreshed in the morning."

Down in the servant's hall, everyone waited for the news of the baby. Mr. Clarkson walks in and everyone stands up from the table.

"That's it. The baby is born. It's a girl," Mr. Carson announced.

"Fantastic," Mrs. Patmore commented.

"Now you can all go to bed," He said.

Rosa and Carlos pushed their seats in as everyone else did before going upstairs to their temporary rooms. On their way, the two discussed their happiness for Lady Sybil and Mr. Branson, like everyone else.

It was late in the night. Emilio, Eve, and Hera were fast asleep. Edith rushes into the room and shakes Eve awake. Eve looks up and sees her cousin's face above her.

"Eve, It's Sybil. Something is happening with her," Edith informed her before rushing out.

Eve quickly wakes up Emilio and tells him what is happening. They put on their dressings gowns and rushed to Sybil. When they arrived at Sybil's room, they saw her lying on the bed,

covered in sweat and hyperventilating. Mary soon came into the room. Dr. Clarkson injected Sybil with something to try and calm her down. Eve, Emilio, Edith, and Matthew stood and watched their loved one in pain, unsure what to do. Sir Philip covered his mouth in horror and walked off to the side of the room.

"Can you hear me, darling? It's Tom," He said, kneeling next to the bed, trying his best to comfort his wife.

"I should be getting up..." Sybil tried to sit up, but Tom eased her back down, "I need to be... how busy..."

"Darling, all you need to do is rest," Tom told her.

Sybil cries in pain before repeatedly hitting her head, "My head...! My head!"

Eve grabbed a cloth before wetting it. She rushed over and knelt by the bed.

"Sybil, it is going to be alright. Just let me bathe your forehead," Eve said in a soothing voice as she dabbed Sybil's forehead with the cloth.

"It hurts!" Sybil cried.

"What's happening?" Robert asked as he and Cora entered the room. Cora quickly knelt next to Tom.

"Oh, God," Tom spoke.

Suddenly, Sybil became quiet, and her body tensed. Her neck stretched out and mouth open.

"Oh, God! God, no, no!" Tom cried in fear for his wife.

"What the hell is happening, Sir Philip ?" Robert demanded an answer.

"Sybil? She can't hear me. Sybil? Sybil, it's Mary. Can you hear me?" Mary shook Sybil in an attempt to get her to respond.

"It looks as if -" Sir Philip began.

"It looks as if what?!" Cora asked, quickly standing up before returning to her daughter's side.

"This is eclampsia," Dr. Clarkson informed them.

"It cannot be! Sir Philip. You were so sure," Robert said.

"She can't hear me," Mary said, panicking.

"This is unbelievable. Somebody do something!" Matthew demanded.

"Darling..." Cora said in a calming voice to her daughter.

"The human life is unpredictable," Sir Philip defended himself.

"But you were so sure!" Robert said as he rushed to the bed.

"What can we do?" Cora asked.

"Help her, help her, please!" Tom pleaded. Tears running down his face, "Oh, God, no!"

"Dr. Clarkson, shall we take her to the hospital?" Edith asked.

"There's nothing that can be done," He gravely replied.

"It's not possible, not now, not these days!" Matthew refused.

"Once the seizures have started, there's nothing to be done," Dr. Clarkson told them.

"You don't agree with him, do you, Sir Philip?" Robert asked.

"Please don't leave me! Help her! Help her, please!" Tom begged the doctors.

"She can't breathe," Mary informed them.

"Please, just breathe."

Sybil was on her side, her body began to shake as a result of her eclampsia.

"There has to be something worth trying!" Robert shouted.

"Please! Come on, come on. Breathe, love. Come on. Sybil? Listen, it's me, my darling. All you need to do is breathe," Tom said to his wife, hoping she would listen and be alright.

"We've given her morphine and atropine...." Sir Philip said to Robert before the latter walked away from him.

"What's happening? Please breathe, love! Please!" Tom continued to plead with the love of his life.

Suddenly, as quickly as her body tensed up, it was limp. Everyone realized, although they tried to deny it, what happened.

"Oh, no, no!" Cora sobbed, "Please! Oh, no!"

"Please, love. No, no! Please wake up. Please don't leave me. Please wake up, love. Please don't leave me! Please don't leave me, love!" Tom begged. He tried to shake her awake, but there were no results.

Dr. Clarkson walks over to the bed. He presses two fingers on Sybil's neck and confirms everyone's fears.

Cora gasps, "No! Oh, God!"

"Please, love," Tom pleaded as he continued to sob.

"But this can't be. She's twenty-four years old. This cannot be," Robert said in disbelief and a dismal tone.

The sound of Sybil's baby crying in a nearby room, caused them all to realize the pain the baby would have of never knowing her mother.

Tears ran down Eve's face as she looked down. She then looked up and glared at Sir Philip with pure hatred.

"You! You did this!" Eve exclaimed at Sir Philip, "You saw the signs. Dr. Clarkson pointed them out to you, but you ignored them and his warnings. You killed Sybil!"

Eve tried to lunge at Sir Philip but was pulled back by Emilio, who held her close to his chest in a hug. She had lost the person she had known to be one of the kindest souls on earth and a true sister.

In the Servant's hall, everyone, still in their pajamas, was gathered by Mr. Carson and Mrs. Hughes. Mr. Carson informed them of the unfortunate news upstairs. Everyone was speechless with shock and sadness.

"Is there anything we should do, Mr. Carson?" Daisy asked.

"Carry on, Daisy. As we all must," He replied, trying not to show his heartbreak, before walking out.

Thomas, trying to hold back his tears, walks out of the Servant's hall. Rosa follows after him. Thomas props his hand on the wall and uses his other hand to cover the sobs coming from his mouth. His back facing Rosa.

"Thomas?" Rosa spoke.

Thomas composes himself a little before saying, "I don't know why I'm crying, really. She wouldn't have noticed if I'd died."

"You don't mean that."

"No. No, I don't," Thomas shook his head, "In my life, I can tell you, not many have been kind to me. She was one of the few."

"I know I did not know her long," Rosa began, "But I could tell she was truly one of the best that God gave us."

Thomas and Rosa gave each other a comforting side hug but pulled apart and stood up straight when Mrs. Hughes walked by them.

"Oh... Don't mind me," Mrs. Hughes said, noticing how they reacted in her presence, "The sweetest spirit under this roof is gone, and I'm weeping myself."

Mrs. Hughes walks away and enters Mr. Carson's pantry. Rosa stood by herself after Thomas went back upstairs.

Even though Eve and Emilio returned to their room, Eve did not sleep. She was too consumed by the heartbreak of losing Sybil and kept thinking about the pain Tom must be going through. Emilio, who was trying to sleep, opened his eyes and looked at his wife before he sat up.

"Mia Cara, I know you must be hurting, but you need to sleep," Emilio told her. Eve didn't reply and kept looking at the ceiling above her, "Would you like to talk about Sybil?"

Eve turned her head, looking at her husband, before sitting up and resting her head on his shoulder.

"When I first arrived at Downton, Mary and Edith were skeptical of me. They were unsure of how to interact with a cousin they had never met before and will now be living with them," Eve began. The tears begin streaming down her face, "But Sybil, she welcomed me with open arms. We played every day together and hated to be apart. I miss her so much."

Eve began sobbing, and Emilio hugged her, trying to comfort her. Eventually, Eve cried herself to sleep in Emilio's arms. Emilio carefully laid back down with Eve still in his arms. Emilio kept Eve in his arms until it was time for them to wake up.

Mary and Eve sat in the room with Tom, the three of them dressed in black. Tom sat at the edge of the bed, looking down at his wife. Edith, also dressed in black, entered the room.

"The men from Grasby's have arrived," Edith announced.

"To take her away?" Tom asked with heartbreak in his voice.

"Yes. And we must let them."

While Tom walked off to the corner of the room, Mary, Eve, and Edith approached the bed.

"Goodbye, my darling," Mary bends down and kisses Sybil on the forehead. She backs away to let Edith kiss Sybil's forehead. Edith then backs away to let Eve kiss Sybil's forehead. The three stand back and look down at Sybil with heartbreak.

"She was the only person living who always thought you and I were such nice people," Mary told Edith.

"Oh, Mary... Do you think we might get along a little better in the future?" Edith asked.

"I doubt it," She replied, "But since this is the last time we four will all be together in this life, let's love each other now, as sisters should."

Mary looked at Eve when she spoke the last three words of her sentence. Tears formed in their eyes, and the three embraced each other.

They all were gathered in the drawing room. Each of them was dressed in dark, black clothing. Cora sat in a chair closest to the door and beside the fireplace. She was looking off t the fireplace, not at anyone.

"Ah, Mama," Robert soberly greeted as Violet entered the room.

"Oh, my dears," Violet placed a comforting hand on Cora's shoulder. Mary, Edith, and Eve stood up and walked to their grandmother. Violet kissed each of her granddaughters on the cheek before Mary and Eve sat down, while Edith stood up.

"You'll be glad to know they've found a nurse for the baby. She is already here," Robert informed his mother.

"Good, good. Where's Tom?" She inquired.

"He's upstairs," Edith replied, "I've asked if he wants anything. He says no."

"He wants his wife back, but that's what he can't have," Cora seethed before standing up, "I must write to Dr. Clarkson and have it sent down before dinner."

Robert frowned, "Darling, there's no need for that."

Cora began walking to the door, "I should. I want to. I have to apologize for our behavior.

"What? Why?" Mary asked.

"Because if we'd listened to him, Sybil might still be alive. But Sir Philip and your father knew better, and now she's dead."

Cora then left the room.

"Why... Why did she say that?" Violet asked her son.

"Because there is some truth in it," He replied.

"My dear, when tragedies strike, we try to find someone to blame. In the absence of a suitable candidate, we usually blame ourselves. You are not to blame. No one is to blame. Our darling Sybil has died during childbirth, like too many women before her, and all we can do now... ..is cherish her memory and her child."

"Nevertheless, there is truth in it," Robert absented himself. 

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

1.6K 20 17
• The second book of the 'Viscount Downton' trilogy • Alex Crawley and his family now have a new adventure coming to them: they're heading to the Sou...
1.3K 10 28
| The Sequel to 'All Is Fair In Love And War' ||Thomas Barrow/Matthew Crawley || Their secret doesn't just exist within Downton Abbey, now it lives a...
6.7K 137 11
Emma and James are happily married and expecting their life to change in 1920. Emma expects her life to be blissful with the news of a baby on the wa...
507 19 14
What if Robert and Cora Crawley had a fourth daughter who were born in 1906 Gabriella is secret hero with Anne Shirley, Diana Barry, Ruby Gills and...