joli | larry

prideinlou

[ completed with alternate ending ✔️ ] joli [french] /'julë/ 1. pretty; cute 2. handsome; nice; p... Еще

warnings/disclaimers
spotify playlist
chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter nine
chapter ten
chapter eleven
chapter twelve
chapter thirteen
chapter fourteen

alternate ending

860 54 87
prideinlou

WINTER, 2018
To all the broken promises I wish to fix.

He sighed, lifting his suitcase out of the car. He glanced behind him at the house, watching as snow began to blanket the town. The wind whispered secrets to him, and the tree branches waved hello, for an old friend had returned. "Thanks," he said to the driver, shutting the door. The car quickly drove off, leaving him alone with the cold.

He slowly dragged his bag through the dusting of snow on their driveway, blinking away a flake that made its home on his eyelashes.

He shook his head, climbing the three small steps to his front door. "Home," he said before knocking. His keys were buried deep in his luggage, like the memories he once had in this town.

"Harry," whispered the woman as she opened the door. "We missed you," she added, allowing him to step inside.

"Took a holiday for you to visit," added his sister from the steps.

Harry sighed, pressing his lips together. "Hi mum, Gemma."

And that was that. The women turned away and continued to prepare dinner. Harry watched as they retreated to the kitchen, taking his beanie off his head. He lifted his luggage and brought it up to his childhood room, placing it down on the blue carpet. He sat on the edge of his bed, removing his shoes and jacket.

A soft knock at his door caused him to look up, speaking to allow entry to his visitor. His mother walked in, crossing her arms across her chest as she leaned against his door frame.

He let out a breath, brushing his fingers through his hair, which was getting longer. "This is more than me not visiting you." He whispered.

"Lottie and I have become great mates while you have been gone," Anne started, standing up straight. "She would ask if you planned on coming home to visit Louis, or if you would even muster up the courage to call him. Harry Edward Styles, this is not the man I raised. I allowed you to grieve with what...he did to you all those years ago, I defended you to the late Troy when you broke Louis' heart. You were hurting. And yet, you did it again. With no excuse this time. Louis was your best friend, and even a phone call could have prevented this, but nothing. No call to him, and barely even a call to me. Are we not your family, Harry? Who has been there for you all these years?" She whispered, wiping away a tear. He didn't like watching his mother cry. "I'm disappointed in you, Harry. That boy loves you more than words can describe. She had brought him over here once, a few weeks ago. She said it was because he insisted you were playing hide and seek and he had to find you." Anne said, moving to sit next to her only son. "I know seeing Louis again brought up many memories you had wished to keep buried, but you can't punish him anymore because of it. I love you, Harry, you are my son. I will love you no matter what, but please, make this right. You are hurting more than just yourself."

It was silent for a few moments. Harry didn't know how to reply to her, or what to say at all. All that he knew was that she was right.

Louis is his best friend. It's time he stops letting himself get in the way of that.

"I'm going to go visit him, for his birthday." Harry whispered, looking up at her, but she wasn't looking at him. "You're right."

"I'm always right," she replied before pulling her son into a hug.

• • •

A few days later, he made his way through the snow, admiring the streets on the quiet Christmas Eve afternoon. White silence blanketed the town, soft lights glowing within the houses. Christmas music flowed through his headphones and he stepped to the beat, holding the wrapped present close to his chest. A few people huddled together as they finished up their Christmas errands, laughing with holiday cheer.

"Mummy, is that guy Santa?" A young boy had said as he held his mother's hand at the crosswalk, blinking up at her through the snow.

Harry huffed a laugh, knowing the boy was referring to him. "It's my friend's birthday today." He replied, smiling. The boy's mom nodded in his direction.

The boy gasped. "Like Jesus?"

Harry laughed again. "Two Christmas miracles," he whispered.

The sound of the doorbell had him standing up straight. He fixed the black beanie on his head, smiling as the door opened.

It was immediately shut in his face.

"Zayn-"

"No."

The door opened again and Lottie looked up at him. She sighed, allowing him to enter. "Lou-!" She began, but didn't need to continue, the sound of two feet pitter-pattering through the house was quickly noticed.

"'Azzie!" Louis squealed, launching himself at the older.

Harry gasped, quickly dropping the bag to catch the small boy. The plastic enclosure landed on the floor with a crumble, and a stuffed cat slid across the floor. "Hi, Lou." He whispered, fixing Louis' position in his arms so he could hold him properly.

"I was born ta-day, 'Azzie!" Louis spoke quickly, wiggling around. "Say happy!"

Harry laughed, placing the boy on the ground. "Happy birthday, blue."

Louis clapped, grinning. "Yay!" He quickly became distracted by the stuffed toy on the ground, and ran off to show "pa", leaving Harry in the hallway with Lottie and Zayn.

Zayn huffed, rolling his eyes. "Asshole," he mumbled, following Louis into the kitchen.

Harry's attention turned to Lottie, who looked at him with sad eyes. She shook her head. "Don't make another promise," she whispered before leaving Harry alone with his thoughts.

Harry took a deep breath, rubbing his hands across his face. "Fuck," he said to himself.

Once Harry entered the kitchen, Louis was all over him, insisting they play together in the living room.

Mark looked up from frosting Louis' birthday cake and smiled, waving at the teen. "Good to see you, Harry! Louis is so happy you could make it. Lottie is always talking about how Lou calls you all the time, he's very lucky to have you, and I just know Troy thinks the same."

Harry blinked, glancing over at Lottie who looked at him with a neutral expression. It appears as if she didn't want a repeat of how Troy reacted after Harry hurt Louis.

"Thank you, sir," Harry replied, putting on a smile. He just knows that Troy wishes he could smack him across the face. "I'm very lucky to have him as my best friend."

"Now, 'Azzie!" Louis groaned from the floor.

After playtime, the five had dinner, which was actually just cake, per Louis' request... or large temper tantrum.

Harry sat next to Louis, smiling down at the boy as he dragged his finger through the pink icing, doing his best to ignore the hole being burned into his head.

After their cake-filled dinner, Louis insisted on going outside to play in the snow. Mark agreed and went upstairs to fetch Louis' snow clothes while Lottie, Harry, and Zayn cleaned up in the kitchen, very few words exchanged in the trio. Tension stood in the air, thick and cloudy, and the sun only came out from behind the clouds when Louis entered the room.

After Louis was properly dressed, the group moved outside, watching as Louis quickly took off into the piles of white.

Mark and Lottie excused themselves to get Louis' final birthday present, telling the excited boy that it was a surprise. Louis was more than happy for this incoming surprise and began to build a small snowman in their backyard to pass the time.

"'Azzie, play with Lou, peas?"

Harry laughed, nodding his head. "Course, boo." He said, but he couldn't escape the uneasy feeling. He looked over his shoulder and was met with the burning eyes of Zayn. The older crossed his arms over his chest, narrowing his eyes as he looked at Harry.

Harry sighed, knowing that Zayn would not let him have a break until they spoke. He stood up, walking over to the man. A part of him wanted to tell Zayn off, afterall, he has been Louis' friend for many, many years, and Zayn barely knows him. But he knew he couldn't. Zayn obviously means something to Louis, so he decided to put aside his pride for the sake of Louis' birthday.

"Mate-"

"I'm not your mate, Styles." Zayn bit, standing up tall. "You are a fucking asshole," He continued. "Louis does not fucking deserve your shit. Literally, fuck you. He is an amazing kid with a heart of gold that you have stepped on one too many times. You have done nothing but hurt him. I honestly don't give a single fucking shit about your past. The past cannot be changed. I'm fucking sorry for whatever happened to you, but nothing gives you the right to hurt him. There are too many broken promises on your part!" His voice got higher as he gestured to the boy they were discussing. "I may have not known Louis long, but he has wormed his way into my heart, and I'm fucking honored to be his friend. You should be too. You should be kissing the fucking ground he walks on! That boy loves you so much even after you walked out of his life, and he lets you back in each time you screw up with open arms! Lottie can forgive you... and Louis can forget, but I will do neither. I am going to make sure that boy does not get hurt again because of you." He finished, taking a deep breath.

Harry stood with parted lips, hugging his jacket closer to his chest. He had already received this from his mother, and now from a man he barely knew. But once again, Zayn was right, just like Anne was. Harry has fucked up, and he knows it. Once again, he doesn't try to defend himself, but instead nods his head in agreement with Zayn's words.

"Azzie, o-tay?" Came a voice from behind the two men, causing them to turn around. Standing next to them was a very bundled up Louis, arms crossed over his chest to the best of his ability, as he looked up at them through his lashes. "Why Zee yell?"

Harry scratched the back of his neck, looking at Zayn, who was just glaring back at him. "Just some adult stuff, little bear, don't worry about it." He shrugged, patting the beanie on Louis' head.

Louis giggled, jumping back, and immediately falling into the snow below. He giggled again, laying within the coldness covering his backyard. "Come play, 'Azzie, Zee!"

"Soon, love," Harry said, looking back to Zayn. "Listen, mate-"

"What part of 'I'm not your mate' do you not understand?"

Louis whined loudly, kicking his legs. "Wanna p-ay!"

Harry opened his mouth to reply, but Lottie and Mark returned, holding a large gift box. Louis' attention was immediately moved to the unknown object, and he jumped up, stumbling through the snow to reach his family.

Zayn sighed, shaking his head, ready to follow Louis, but Harry stopped him.

"Zayn, listen, I'm sorry. I'll apologize to Louis, of course, but I want to apologize to you. I keep looking at you as competition for Louis' friendship, but that is a dick move. You are a great guy, and a great friend to Louis. You were there for him when I wasn't, you are there for him. Thank you. I realize I've been... horrible to him. I've had so much personal shit going on, and I took it out on my best mate." He shook his head at himself, squeezing his hands together. "I... I held him when he was just a baby. I don't remember... I was so young, but my mum told me. He was... so tiny. She said I was terrified. There was this moving creature in my hands and I had like... no idea what to do. She said I started to cry as Louis grabbed onto my shirt, making him cry. Said it was like we were having a contest of who could cry louder." He laughed, wiping his face when he felt himself start to cry. "He's my best friend. I... was so fucking stupid, I am fucking stupid. I walked out of his life because... because of fucking Robin. God! The... the beatings... the words, they left a mark. One I wanted nothing more than to go away. I thought... maybe they would go away if Louis did. At the time, I was insistent that Louis was the cause of this. If I hadn't known Louis, I wouldn't have had a crush on him, without the crush, I wouldn't have told my parents, and Robin wouldn't have tried to beat the gay out of me. I...I was 12, and I hated myself, I hated Louis. It was his fault... but it wasn't, it never was. I needed someone to let my anger out on, someone that wasn't behind bars and I chose my best friend," He sighed, rubbing his hands down his face. He turned to Zayn, eyes glassy. "I will never forgive myself for it, ever. Thank you for being an amazing friend to Louis when I wasn't. I promise, I will figure my shit out. If I want to stay in his life, I need to deal with my own bullshit, he doesn't deserve it anymore."

Zayn sighed, brushing his hair back. "I'm sorry you went through that. And I'm happy you are able to see your faults. I truly hope you are able to work through them and everything and stay in Louis' life, because he loves you so much, bro. 'Azzie this, 'Azzie that, starting to think it is the only word he knows," he chuckled, shrugging his shoulders. "Louis will never be... normal, you know? He's not your uni friends, he's not my uni friends. He's different, but he is an amazing person to have in your corner. I'm happy I got to know him when he walked into my shop, all bright eyed and bushy tailed for the kittens." Zayn took a look at Louis, who was happily bouncing around with a sled in his clutches. "He's favorite movie right now is Cinderella. He's very insistent on a prince. Be his prince, Harry. Be his best friend. He needs it, needs you," he finished, nodding his head. Zayn pressed his lips together and hugged his jacket closer, moving through the snow to go up to Lottie and Louis.

Harry took a deep breath, allowing Zayn's words to sink in. He nodded to himself. Louis is his best friend, always has been. Through everything, Louis was always there. He was determined to not take advantage of it this time.

He would give his all to their friendship, his all to Louis.

Best friends forever, is what they would always say.

• • •

EARLY SUMMER, 2026
Don't give up.

Louis giggled as the small white kitten wormed her way around his body, chasing after a small ball of tinfoil. "Kit!" The man laughed, reaching out to the hyper ball of fluff.

"Careful, Lou, she is in one of her crazy moods right now," called Zayn's wife, Sam. She placed a large bowl of salad on the dining room table, humming as the doorbell rang. "I think that's Harry, Lou!" She said as she headed back into the kitchen.

Louis gasped, eyes widening at the sound of his best friend's name. He jumped up, ignoring Lottie who yelled at him to be careful, again, and ran to the front door, successfully beating Zayn to open it. He grinned wide when he pulled open the enclosure, meeting eyes with his best friend. "'Azzie!" He smiled, wrapping his arms around the older man's torso.

"Hello, sunshine," Harry smiled, crouching down to hug the smaller man fully. "I've missed you, work has been hectic lately."

"It is o-tay, missed you 'Azzie," Louis giggled, planting a kiss on Harry's cheek, and pulling him toward the living room, babbling about how Coconut is in a "crazy mood" right now but "deserves 'Azzie hugs".

After dinner, Louis jumped onto the couch between Zayn and Harry, grinning happily as Lottie's husband handed him a bowl of chocolate ice cream. He cuddled into Harry's side, watching the TV in front of them intently. He almost had a meltdown when Chris insisted that they don't watch Cinderella tonight, and now he is happily getting what he wants. Cinderella, ice cream, and cuddles with his 'Azzie.

Louis yawned, nuzzling closer into his best friend's chest. "Zee says I Cinderella. Does dat make you Lou's prince, 'Azzie?" He whispered.

Harry looked down at the man in his lap, who was almost completely asleep beneath the fuzzy blanket he acquired. "Of course, Princess Louis."

Louis giggled happily, nodding as he yawned again. "You da best prince, 'Azzie. Wuv you."

"I love you too, princess."

Louis was different.

Even as he grew, his mind stayed the same. Something that once pulled them apart many years ago, managed to bring them back together.

Life was a large puzzle, and their friendship took form as the final piece. For a while, the piece had gone missing, having rolled off the table, getting lost within the shadows. It took a few years for someone to find the piece, covered in dust, tears, and bad memories. With a little cleaning, the piece was finally returned to its rightful spot in the middle of the puzzle.

The piece had found its way back, pushing its way through the clouds of doubt.

It fought for love, it fought for friendship.

And it won.

> > > >

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Welp, there she is. The complete end to an era. I truly hope you didn't just wait for this, and you actually read my original ending, as I will forever like that one much better, but this ending is cute.

I'm sure you've realized this always was a friendship fic, not romance. While young Harry had a crush on young Louis, that is as far as that side of things was gonna go.

Sometimes, friendship is all you need, huh? :)

Please leave this ending comments (not on this author's note, on the actual fic) along with votes, and overall lots of love, because I'm finally giving what I promised, cute fluffy happiness. ;)

I hope you enjoyed Joli, she's been a long time in the making.

Please check out all of my other fics. I am hoping to write some new stuff, and maybe finish the one I've been ignoring for over a year (sorry, Coffee and Tea fans). They are pictured below, along with my lesbian horror story, Insane on jessicacanwrite , modeled after the story on here with the same name. Also check out my ao3, prideinlou.

I'd say "I'll see you soon", but that's from the original ending, so how about... just... goodbye this time? :)

Xx Jessica aka prideinlou

fully completed on January 1, 2022 with 2990 words and 68.3k total reads

Продолжить чтение

Вам также понравится

23.4K 649 30
Heir to the throne Harry Styles needs to have a loyal companion to take his place on the throne. But when he meets a handsome peasant named Louis Tom...
2.1M 37.5K 197
Love story of Larry stylinson through Instagram// daily updates Started - 23rd of October 2017 Finished- 11th of February 2018 #849 in fan fiction 18...
Would You Want Me? K

Фанфик

1.7K 72 7
Harry and Louis have been friends since they were young, only living a street apart for years. They played with toy trains and paper airplanes, they...
185K 8.6K 108
『••✎••』 Louis was certainly not a girl. It was just his feminine features or maybe his chestnut brown hair grazing his shoulders, that made people th...