Eritopia

Av GeorgeWicker

A disillusioned creature, Not-Bear, sets off on a quest to discover his identity. Leaving the security of the... Mer

A Walk in the Forest
Berries and Bugs
In the Depths of the Trees
The Occasion
A Decision Made
Return to The Inside
Curious Hyenas
A Chance Encounter
An Underground Home
A Plan of Action
The District Elder
To Catch a Wolf
A Forced Decision
Meet Your Guide
The Outside Beckons
Night Closes In
The Whistling Wood
Myrtle Tavern
The Golden Age
Cooling Corpses
Two Sides to a Story
To Catch a Hyena
Interrogation
Something Fearful
Jod Decides
City at the End of the World
Goodwill to All Men
Good at Geography
Down into the Dark
Bleached Bones
Cycles of Time
Fleg's Troubles
'Met in a Circle'
The City Lies Beyond
River Rescue
A Brief Sanctuary
A Kind of Treason
Best to Obey Orders
In Drunken Harmony
Something is Coming
Men Are Blessed
Path of Blackness
The Mist Descends
Preparing an Army
Prisoners of the King
The Best Laid Plans...
A Slice of Luck
No Place for a Prince
A Way Out
Into the Unknown
Fighting Talk
The Burning River
Alive and Well
A Turning Tide
Facing the Enemy
A Fine Day To Fight
A Minstrel's Tale
Reunion
Battle Lines
A Good Leader

A Tall Tale

6 2 1
Av GeorgeWicker

Martin got to Tom's hut in double-quick time. He gave the coded knock on the door and Tom slipped out to see him.

'Good to see you,' Tom said. 'Are you sure you weren't followed?'

Martin shook his head, getting his breath back. He told Tom what Beetle had said about the Brotherhood, and getting him a job at the Palace. 'When he left I knew he was out there in the dark waiting for me. I waited a while and slipped out of a window. Left the lamp burning.'

'I knew it,' Tom said. 'They've bribed, or threatened him, or both.'

'They?'

'Someone in authority. That's why I told you to be careful.'

'Don't worry, I was. I know what he's like.'

Tom patted him on the shoulder and opened the door. They slipped in. All eyes turned to look at them. Martin shook hands with the three new men and they introduced themselves. The blonde twins seemed friendly and jovial. The red-haired stranger had an air of authority about him. His handshake was firm.

'Good to meet you, Martin,' he said. 'We are grateful for what you have done for Tom. He does need help, especially as he's so tall!'

Tom, who was by now sitting on the bed next to Jod, laughed. The twins sat cross-legged on the floor by the door. The animals were laying in front of the stove. Gordon and Martin remained standing.

'What now?' Martin asked.

'Well, we've been talking about that,' Gordon said. 'For the moment we wait.'

'So you say,' Not-Bear offered from his place by the stove. 'But you must have a plan.'

'We will let the city settle,' said Gordon. 'Soon it will be asleep and we can go about our business.'

'Which is?' Not-Bear asked.

'You'll see soon enough,' Gordon said. He beckoned to Martin and they settled on the floor too. 'Bowen, some music please, while we wait.'

The twin went to the bag he had arrived with, and unwrapped something foreign to the eyes of Not-Bear and the others. It was the shape of a flattened bowl, and there was a length of wood across it. Strings ran the length of the instrument, attached at both ends. Bowen put it across his lap and plucked the strings with his fingers. He adjusted some pegs at the end of the flat board, and played again. Pleasing notes of subtle music floated out and around the room. Not-Bear was caught up in the sound. It was beautiful.

After a while Bowen began to sing. He told the story of a young girl, separated from her brother, of a family feud and the tragedy of him dying in battle. His twin sang along with him, but in a lower voice.

The song was gentle, the effect magical. It calmed everyone.

After the first song Bowen continued with a tune, and Raff tapped a rhythm on the floor with his boot to match. They bowed their heads as they played. The only light in the room was from the fire and the others were rocking side to side to the rhythm.

Jod had not heard music like it before. And Not-Bear certainly hadn't. It was a world away from the only instrumental music he knew—the pipes and whistles the Elders played. Or the crescendo of rhythms that had forced them to dance at the Occasion.

Not-Bear thought back to that wild evening. He had been impetuous, foolish even, to have challenged the badger and gone down to the Circle. He also regretted arguing about it afterwards with his dear friend Bear.

Bear, who was missing on the Outside. Had he found friends who could help him as Not-Bear had? Was he heading towards the City too, as Gordon suggested? Or had he given up the search and gone home?

The music stopped and Gordon, after a brief word with Martin, gathered the others around. Jod was still sleepy but he sat up. Map hopped upright. Not-Bear, up on his haunches, looked around. The men stooped down to their level.

'I'm going to tell a story,' Gordon said. 'And it concerns you, in particular, Wolf.'

Not-Bear's ears pricked up.

'First, you are not an Insider.'

'I knew it,' Jod exclaimed. Gordon lifted a finger to quieten him.

'What do you mean?' Not-Bear asked.

'You did not start life on the Inside,' Gordon explained.

'I'm an Outsider then?'

'No,' said Gordon. 'You are from a place far away, over the Crystal Mountains. You were born to a noble family of wolves in the Far End, a place none of us have ever been to.

'Noble?'

'Yes, in the sense your family were highly thought of there. Animals with great power and wisdom, living on a vast plain that makes the Outside look small. That's where your home was.'

'Was?'

'Yes, because the peace and tranquility you were born into has been shattered.'

Gordon allowed the words to settle. Not-Bear was confused.

'But why?'

'There is another city there, on the edge of that vast plain,' Gordon continued. 'Bigger than this one, with a greater population, much more prosperous and productive. Over long years every process there, from farming to quarrying, was mechanised. Efficient machines took over the work of animals.

'You would think that was a good thing, but men, being men, decided they wanted more power. Power over animals, much as the first King Barnabas, in our world, desired the same. In this other city, the King, although he is not called that there, wondered how to harness the power of animals. He decided that to subordinate them, to break their spirit, he needed to capture their leader, their talisman. If he could find him and bring him to the city, captive, he could force the rest of the animals to follow.

'In short, he went looking for you.'

'Me?'

Jod gasped and looked at Not-Bear.

Map leapt and shouted. 'I knew it,' he kept saying.

'The prince of the wolves, rightful heir to the dynasty, future ruler of the animals, of field, forest and plain, even of the mountains. You, Not-Bear, were born of royal blood. A prince. Soon to be a king.' He bowed his head.

Not-Bear stared at him. 'What rubbish,' he said.

*****

Beetle hopped and shuffled, twisted and straightened, waiting for Martin to leave. When he still didn't appear, Beetle crept back up the lane to his house. The lamp flickered inside. He looked through a window; there was no-one there. He walked in the door. Still no-one, and a window open. He realised what had happened. That bloody boy has outwitted me, he thought.

What to do now? If he went back to Melos, to the Palace, they might kill him. Or at the least, lock him up in one of those light-starved dungeons. Forever. For a very long time. He shuddered at the thought.

Should he could hide? He could change his appearance. Wander away over the Outside, or to the wastelands where the forgotten people lived in the shadows of the City.

No. He couldn't leave. He loved it too much. The tavern. the gossip, the beer. And he still loved his wife. He also had two boys. One was successful, even if the other was a rotten apple. What would happen if he abandoned them? The King would take revenge. They would face imprisonment or disgrace. No, Beetle wouldn't entertain that thought.

Stirred with an inner loyalty only half understood, he decided to do something. He would find the Brotherhood. See if they knew where Martin was. Somehow get his son to renounce his friends. Then he, Beetle, could go back to the Palace with good news and earn the favour of the King.

Where to find these brothers? Beetle recalled Martin spending a lot of time at the allotment recently. At his mother's behest, granted. Then there was that tall stranger he had seen talking to him over the river-side wall. Could he have something to do with it?

He grabbed his warm coat from the house, and a scarf. Extinguished the lamp, locked the door and shut the window. Stuffed pockets with bread and biscuits. This could be a long night. He then ghosted down the alleyway heading for the allotment.

Once at the allotment he climbed over the wall. Some loose stones dropped out and one went in his boot. He stopped to remove it. Down below on the slopes, the river ran hard past the hazel and aspen trees. The ripple of the bankside water slapped and gurgled as the high flow eddied round the roots. The moon was out and getting full. Clouds drifted across it.

Beetle went down to where he had been with the guards that morning. He could still see the mess they had made, trampling over everything. He wouldn't have been so heavy-handed. By the light of the moon he nosed around, lifting crushed grass and reeds. If the strangers had been here, if Martin had helped them, there would be evidence.

It took a while but he found it. A clear boot print in soft mud, and about twenty yards up stream some paw prints. Something had come this way. Further on, the ground became hard and the steps disappeared, but he found a solitary one. He now knew which direction they were going. Upstream towards the washer pools, where the city drains emptied into the river.

Soon, after steady walking, he entered the area known as Pitside. Here were the huts, shacks, and tents where the poorest and dispossessed of the city gathered. An area of thieves and vagabonds, outside the law, living in shoddy terraces on the river's northern edge. Where even the Longjackets were reluctant to venture.

Fortsätt läs

Du kommer också att gilla

10.3K 1K 37
Chronicles of Zoo: Book One In a land where animals are linked together with humans at their fifteenth birthday, Craig just kinda exists. He lives w...
270 54 65
Hailey Fell didn't fit in at Pinemarsh High, but if she'd known what was about to happen, she would've taken getting smoothies dumped on her head any...
94 2 19
I sat down next to her and cried on her. "Don't leave," was all I managed when I noticed she wasn't breathing. I didn't want to believe she just die...
2.8K 2 36
MAJOR EDITING!!! If that's really my father.. I won't hide. I don't want to be rescued! I don't want to evacuate! And I don't need my mother's pro...