Savior | Klaus Mikaelson

By SprintingFox

She was their protector, because they were all she had. She returned to Mystic Falls solely to help them, and... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Final Author's Note

Chapter 26

10.3K 281 172
By SprintingFox

Damon was waiting for her in her room at the Boarding House.

"You showed up," he said, sounding mildly surprised.

"Well, you didn't give me a location," she replied. "I went to my old apartment, found nothing. Now I'm here, and so are you. You better have a good apology prepared."

His face fell. "I'm not good with apologies, you know that."

"I don't care, Damon. You slut-shamed me. It was completely uncalled for and frankly, really hurtful. I didn't deserve that."

"I know you didn't, Mads. I was angry. I didn't think."

"You did think. And you thought to hurt me. What is your deal here? Why do you hate Klaus so damn much? I would expect this from Stefan but not from you. Klaus has done nothing to you. And yet you took your anger out on me. That was fucked up."

He hung his head. "I know. I shouldn't have been so cruel to you. I just can't stand the thought of that monster being anywhere near you. He's just gonna hurt you. I don't like seeing you in pain."

"It's gonna take a lot more than that for me to forgive you," she muttered. "That is a completely crap apology. If you were so worried, you could have said something instead of running off with his siblings. Whatever. Get to the point, why did you want to talk to me?"

"What's in the sealed coffin?"

"I don't know. Klaus won't tell me. In case you didn't hear, Rebekah tortured me and nearly killed me because I knew about Klaus killing their mom and didn't tell her. My fault, I know that, but still. I guess he figures I'm safer not knowing something that could get me hurt. He was concerned that you'd hurt me. So I'll ask you a question now. Are you going to hurt me now that you didn't get what you wanted out of this meeting?"

He shook his head. "No. I'm not gonna hurt you. I guess there's nothing I can do to get you to stop hanging out with that guy. Even though he could choose to rip a chunk out of your throat at any moment."

"He wouldn't do that. You need to stop being so obsessed with my love life. I'm a grown up, accept that. You can't keep assuming that everyone is going to break my heart. I know it's happened several times, and I appreciate you being there to help me in the past, but this is different. I didn't have history with those other men and women. I was just meeting them, and things didn't go well. I know Klaus. I've known him for a long time, and I've felt this love for him that no one else has brought out of me. There's something special with him, something I need in my life. Again, I appreciate you worrying and making sure my partners don't hurt me but you have problems of your own to deal with. Focus on your own relationship status."

"Mine is just fine."

"I feel bad for whoever your sights are currently set on."

"Even if she's a psycho doctor?"

Maddy blinked. "Wait, what?"

"Meredith Fell."

"Shut up, you're not dating Meredith Fell."

"Dating, no. Sleeping with, yes."

"Um... how?"

"She knows Jenna. I know Ric. Saw her, talked to her, she vervained me and took my blood, it's a whole thing. She's also a murderer."

"Damon, are you on drugs?"

"Nope. See, they met up the other day and spoke to Meredith's annoying little ex Brian Walters. Turns out the guy was staked like a vampire, except he's human. Who else would have killed him?"

"Oh, I don't know, maybe you? You're the jealous type."

He frowned, and she held up her finger to silence him. "If you're just going to keep wasting my time, then I'll take my leave now."

"Wait."

He was pursing his lips incredibly hard, practically cringing, as if to force the words out of his mouth. Maddy found it hard to believe that an apology could really be so difficult to him.

"I am sorry," he managed. "I'm sorry."

She cast him a wry smile. "That doesn't mean anything until you prove to me that you'll never mistreat me again."

"Come home, Mads. Please."

"No. I don't feel wanted here. Look at where we are, Damon. In my room, where dust has covered all of my furniture at this point. That's how long it's been since I was here. You have been such a dick to me and I didn't feel like I could be happy here. So I left. And I've been doing a lot better since I went to live on my own."

"But you're not on your own. You've already moved in with your boyfriend."

"We have separate rooms. I have my own space, and he's not always home. I feel more loved there than I have here in recent weeks. Stefan, I know, will always care about me, because I'm more of a mother than a sister to him. He knows I have a life of my own and no matter what he feels, he will respect that. You, on the other hand, seem to think you're entitled to managing every aspect of my life. Maybe this will all go to shit and I'll get my heart broken like I never have before. Then, I'll be grateful for the opportunity to cry on your shoulder. But give me a chance to see where this goes. These past weeks, I've learned more about Klaus. He's different, and so am I, but he's still someone I can love. Someone I do love. I think he just might be my soulmate. So respect that and don't keep butting in."

Damon was left alone in her room after she sped off.

Something felt wrong once she entered the mansion, following her meeting. There was tension in the air. A familiar smell.

She started to look through all the rooms, searching for the source. She found broken glass and a completely shattered door. A wall that someone had been thrown through. Some sort of fight had happened, that much she could infer. At last, she located Klaus in one of the drawing rooms.

With Elijah.

"Maddy, love," said Klaus, getting to his feet.

"What's going on?" she asked, hardly able to believe that he undaggered Elijah of his own volition.

Elijah stood, but Maddy didn't greet him beyond a nod in his general direction. The elder Original spoke, "It would appear that Damon removed the dagger from my chest prior to handing my coffin to Stefan, so that he could bring my siblings and I here."

"I've told Elijah the truth," said Klaus. "About how my mother died at my hand."

Maddy tucked her hands together. "That's good. Does he know about—?"

"I also informed him that Mikael is dead."

"Good," said Maddy. "Well, the month is over. Remember that we discussed you undaggering everyone by then? How about we go and pull those daggers out?"

Elijah seemed pleased to hear this, but Klaus shook his head.

"Not yet," murmured the hybrid. "Not until I have the last coffin. How was your meeting with Damon?"

"He asked me about what's in the coffin. I obviously couldn't answer him, because you didn't tell me. He provided me with a very lame apology that I didn't accept. So, can we finally discuss what's in the coffin, or not?"

Klaus ran his tongue over his lips. "Later. I promise, love. Later, just not now. Elijah, why don't you go and get yourself cleaned up?" He offered Maddy his hand, and she took it.

"You don't seem pleased," he noted, once he'd walked her to her room. "I was under the impression that you and Elijah got along rather well."

"We did, yes. But I'm just not in a celebratory mood."

"Was it truly that awful?"

"Yes. He couldn't muster up a genuine apology. I don't even know if anything I said actually got through to him."

"In all honesty, I am just as terrible when it comes to apologies."

Maddy shook her head. "Maybe when it comes to your own siblings. But you always apologize to me when it matters. I'm his sister and he couldn't even show that he actually felt bad. It seems like his guilt is just because he got caught. Not because he means it."

"Will you be speaking to him again?"

"Later on, maybe. Now, what's with the broken door downstairs? What did you two fight about?"

"The usual. I daggered him, he was bitter. I mentioned how he planned to kill me just to have you for himself. I admit, I was jealous."

"Nothing happened between me and Elijah. And nothing will ever happen. I care about you, Nik. I'm loyal to you."

He cupped her face. "As I am loyal to you." He kissed her, and she could sense a deep-rooted desperation that usually wasn't there. As if he had something to prove. As if he wanted Elijah to hear them in throes to encourage him to keep his distance.

Maddy was fine complying. She had quite a bit of bottled up anger to let out, and what better way to get rid of it than through intimacy with Klaus? They did always end up tired, after all.

They weren't sure when Elijah left. It didn't matter. They remained as loud as possible, clawing at each other and slamming into walls and furniture to make a statement. Maddy liked it, and so did Klaus. That was what mattered.

Elijah came to speak to them after they'd showered and moved downstairs to drink from a few of the blood bags in the refrigerator. His hair had been cut, and he was wearing a fresh suit.

"We're going to host a dinner," he announced. "I have invited both of your brothers, Madeleine, in the hopes that we can form an alliance and perhaps a deal of sorts, in order for Damon to give us the final coffin."

Maddy and Klaus shared a look. "Hold on," said Maddy. "Damon agreed to this?"

"Albeit reluctantly. Stefan certainly persuaded him to accept. It will be a chance to settle our differences in a formal setting without bloodshed. We will discuss the details of our stay in this town, at least until the time comes where we can return to New Orleans."

"Since you've taken it upon yourself to plan this," said Klaus, "you best be off to find what we will eat. I won't take part in the preparations."

Elijah had been expecting this. "Not to worry, brother, I will handle everything that is needed to make tonight welcoming and enjoyable for all parties. I suggest you start practicing being on your best behavior. You are, after all, finally going to speak properly with your girlfriend's brothers."

"That makes it sound really nerve-wracking," commented Maddy once Elijah left the room. "At least you don't have to meet my parents."

_

Maddy was nervous, to say the least.

As the clocked ticked, bringing them closer and closer to their dinner, she continued wring her hands together harder and harder. Worrying, wondering if her brothers would try to be civil, or if the night would culminate with a murder.

"Niklaus," said Elijah at seven o'clock sharp. "Our guests have arrived."

Maddy got to her feet, moving into the entrance hall from the dining room where she'd been sitting with Klaus. She smiled at Stefan, pulling him into a hug and kissing his cheek. She looked at Damon, shaking his hand for good measure. He cast her an apologetic look, but said nothing.

"Wonderful," said Klaus, coming in behind her and wrapping his arm around her waist. "Let's discuss the terms of our alliance like civilized men— and women," he winked at Maddy, "Shall we?"

He led them into the dining room, where the circular table was set for five. Klaus pulled a chair out for Maddy, at his left, while Elijah sat at his right. On the other side of Maddy was Stefan, and between him and Elijah was Damon.

Two female servants came in, starting to pour wine into the glasses that were set beside the empty plates.

"Isn't this nice?" asked Klaus once the food had been placed in front of them. A gigantic slab of roast beef, served with steamed vegetables and delicious macaroni and cheese, along with a few other side dishes that Maddy was eager to try. "The five of us dining together? Such a treat. Is this what you had in mind when you pulled the dagger from my brother?"

"Well," replied Damon, sitting up straight, "I knew how he felt about you, so I figured the more, the merrier." He winked playfully at Eliajh, who just pursed his lips.

"Elijah and I have had our share of quarrels over the century," said Klaus. "But we always make it through."

"Hmm," said Damon. "That begs the question, where is Rebekah? How long is she going to stay daggered for what she did to my sister? Your fault entirely, by the way, you shouldn't have told her anything if you knew Rebekah would get mad upon finding out."

"Damon," said Maddy sharply. "It wasn't his fault. I'm the one who chose not to tell her."

"And Klaus was perfectly fine handing you a huge secret that could prove problematic. While he was celebrating your loyalty to him whilst you kept your mouth shut, your friendship with Rebekah was getting more and more strained."

Klaus cleared his throat. "If you're referring to the fact that Rebekah knows I killed our mother, I've already come clean to Elijah. He agrees that my younger sister ought to be kept asleep for awhile. My Madeleine means everything to me, and I will not allow any further harm to come to her. That includes anything you might do, Damon."

The air of tension thickened.

"My sister and I have discussed what I did to her," said Damon in a strained voice. "She knows I regret it and feel ashamed, even if she has yet to forgive me. It won't happen again."

"It better not happen again."

Elijah chose to change the subject. "And where is the lovely Elena tonight?"

"I don't know," said Stefan. "She isn't involved with either of us anymore."

"The allure of the Petrova doppelgänger is still so strong," mused Klaus. "What do you say, brother? Should we tell them about Tatia?"

Elijah looked uncomfortable. "Now why should we discuss matters long since resolved?"

"Well, given their shared affection for both Elena and Katerina, I think our guests might be curious to learn about the originator of the Petrova line."

Maddy raised a brow. "I'd like to hear about this."

Elijah ran his tongue over his lips. "When our family first settled here, there was a girl named Tatia. She was an exquisite beauty. Every boy of age desired to be her suitor, even though she'd had a child by another man. And none loved her more than Niklaus."

"I'd say there was one who loved her at least as much," mentioned Klaus, casting Elijah a significant look.

Stefan raised a brow. "Wait a minute. So you both loved the same girl?"

"Our mother was a very powerful witch," said Elijah. "She sought to end our feud over Tatia and so she took her. Niklaus and I would later learn that it was Tatia's blood that we consumed in the wine on the night where our mother performed the spell which turned us into vampires. Tatia wouldn't make a decision between the two of us, so for a time Niklaus and I... grew estranged. Harsh words were traded, we even came to blows, didn't we, brother?"

"But in the end," finished Klaus, "we realized the sacred bond of family."

Elijah raised his glass. "Family above all."

"Family above all," Klaus agreed, eyes flickering over everyone present. "Which is why I'd like to remind you both," he looked at the Salvatores, "that your sister is perfectly happy living with me. In fact, I'd say she's happier here than she is at the Boarding House. There is nothing you can do to keep me from loving her. I loved her decades ago and I love her now. She told me, the other day, that the two of you and the rest of her friends are practically my in-laws. Though you are not blood, you are, by default, family. And I don't wish for there to be tension. I have done what was asked of me when the hybrids became a bother. I have, at your sister's request, allowed some to leave, and kept the others here for training. I want that final coffin back. Family does not steal from family. Do they?"

Damon gritted his teeth. "Family also doesn't hurt family. What's your plan, if Rebekah is woken up? How are you going to stop her from hurting Maddy?"

"Madeleine will come to no harm at Rebekah's hands," said Elijah. "We will ensure it. Just as we will not allow anyone in your friend group to be hurt by us, our siblings, or the hybrids. I'm sure Niklaus agrees."

He nodded. "Yes, after all, Elena did provide me with that lengthy list of loved ones to protect when she willingly submitted to donating blood as needed. I have yet to ask her for more. I've been more than respectful. I hardly think it is too much to ask that you return the coffin so that we may allow bygones to be bygones."

Stefan looked at Damon, as if he was fine with this, but wanted to see what his brother had to say.

"Walk me through it," piped up Damon. "What's going to happen when you wake up the Original extended family?" He turned to his sister. "Our in-laws, apparently."

"They will be awakened soon," said Klaus. "Once I have the final coffin. My brothers, I believe, will prefer freedom. They will likely leave and will not be a problem. The rest of us will move to New Orleans soon enough. You will always be welcome to visit, provided you treat your sister with respect. I'm sure she will come back to see everyone whenever she pleases. So, do we have a deal? The coffin, for my indefinite cooperation and ensuring of the safety of those in your little group?"

Damon looked directly at Maddy. "Is this really what you want? Really? This guy?"

Maddy set down her fork. "Yes, Damon. This is what I want. You can't control who I choose to be with. He makes me feel happy and respected. We have a history that you'll never be able to understand. I just ask you to trust that I'm making the right choice for myself. Nik knows that I won't tolerate him crossing certain lines. He knows that the instant he does something that I'm not alright with, I'll leave him without a second thought. I'm not diving in blindly here."

"Not that she needs protection," noted Klaus, "as she is quite self-sufficient, but if the need were to arise, I will do everything in my power to keep her safe. My hybrids do not only serve me, they serve her. And they will always serve her."

"Damon," said Stefan, noticing the way the eldest Salvatore was balling his fists up. "Enough of this. He's cooperated. We may not like him or fully trust him yet, and maybe we never will, but Mads isn't an idiot, she wouldn't put her faith in him unless she saw something good. Come on. End this. It's been long enough."

He heaved a sigh. "Fine." He dug his fork back into his plate, finishing the last bits of his meal. "I'll go and get the coffin."

"Do hurry," Klaus called after him. "Wouldn't want to miss dessert."

As the door slammed, letting them know Damon had left, Maddy's phone started to ring. "Excuse me," she said, showing them all that it was Elena. "Let me make sure everything is okay."

The three men nodded, and she got up quickly, going into one of the bathrooms and turning on the shower to grant herself some privacy. "Elena," she said, once she answered. "Everything alright?"

"No," she said miserably. "We have a problem. Tyler, he uh... he contacted Caroline's dad about breaking the sire bond once he turned. They were together and he lost control of his wolf form and attacked him. He was brought into the hospital and I-I guess Meredith Fell gave him vampire blood, because otherwise, he wouldn't have made it."

"Oh, shit," whispered Maddy. "How's Caroline, is she okay?"

"She's not doing well. There's more. Bill was staked, just how Brian Walters was, if you heard about that. As if he was a vampire, even if he isn't. He died and he came back to life. He's in transition but he's adamant about not wanting to feed. Caroline was begging him to complete it, but he's refusing. She took him home. In a few hours... he's going to die."

"I'll get to the hospital and compel someone to show me the camera footage. Maybe we can catch our killer in action. Just send me what room number Bill Forbes was in, and where you found him in transition. I can get someone to show me all activity there in the past day."

"You don't think it's Meredith Fell, do you?"

"I don't know. Did you know that she and Damon—?"

"Yeah. Jenna told me. I don't think that's gonna continue if she turns out to be the killer. I just... I don't know what to think. She was swift enough to vervain Damon to take his blood for her supply that is apparently used on patients in really critical condition. He woke up earlier than expected because of the tolerance that he's built up to vervain. I don't want to believe that she'd do that. She would have killed Damon when they were together. If she's so fascinated by the properties of vampire blood, then what does she gain from killing humans? She's obviously willing to risk her medical license just to heal people who would otherwise die."

"Hmm, when you put it that way, it does make it sound really weird. When I'm done here I'll go right to the hospital."

"Stefan told me about the dinner. Is that... going okay?"

"I can tell Klaus is having to force himself to be as nice as possible with my brothers. It isn't easy for him, but I appreciate it. Damon conceded, he's getting the last coffin."

"He mentioned Elijah is awake."

"Yeah, he is. Did you want to talk to him?"

"Yes. After what happened with the ritual... I just want to hear his side of it. Do you think he'd be available to talk soon?"

"I'm not sure. Klaus said that he'd undagger the rest of his siblings once he had that fifth coffin back. So he might have his hands full for a few days but I'm sure he'd be happy to take the time to talk to you. I'll mention it to him. Damn... is there really no way to convince Bill Forbes to turn?"

Elena sighed. "I guess not. As helpful as he was with Tyler... I don't think he'd ever be okay with becoming immortal. Caroline is going to lose her dad tonight and I... I don't know how to help her through that."

"Well, we've lost our parents, too. I think some part of you will figure out what to say. Remember to be respectful. Understand how her situation is different from yours. I'll stop by her house later. Let me go excuse myself with the boys. Who knows what they're talking about while they wait for Damon to get back."

"Probably football."

Maddy laughed lightly. "Mm, maybe. Thank you for updating me. I'll update you on what I find. Remember to send me Bill Forbes' room number and the location where he was found in transition." She ended the call, switching the shower off before walking back out.

"Sorry," she said, waving at all of them. "Something came up, I need to do something. I'll be back later."

"What happend?" asked Stefan worriedly.

"Caroline's dad is in transition. Someone murdered him like they did Brian Walters. He's not going to feed, so I'm going to the hospital to check the cameras and see if I can figure out who the murderer is."

"I'll go with you," offered Klaus.

"There's no need for that," said Maddy.

"There is, love. If this killer has been staking humans as if they were vampires, what is to stop them from staking you and moving onto the species they're clearly after?"

"I doubt they'd strike again. I'll be fine. You wait here. Damon will come back with the coffin, and then you can wake your family up and get them acclimated with this new world. Please have some apologies prepared for them, Nik. They deserve that."

She tiptoed to kiss him, before whispering in his ear, "I love you. I'll be back soon."

Klaus had a giddy smile on his face as he watched her head to the door.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

139K 4K 48
After being on the run for five hundred years, all she wanted was to stand over the burning body of the hybrid who tormented her without reason. She...
158K 6.4K 66
One seemed to know everything about love, while the other couldn't claim any experience with it. What was supposed to be a brief trip to Mystic Falls...
222K 6.9K 38
Despite knowing what she was in for, she made a choice to help the Crescent Wolf Pack, believing that it could bring the prosperity and peace they'd...
193K 6.8K 57
Backstabbing, bickering, butchery, repeat. It took a werewolf to bring the Mikaelsons together in the place where hellfire had rained, back when they...