Hunter

By MelyssaWhyte

As the leader of Knight Security and the handler of all four special operative teams, Hunter Hall's life revo... More

Author's Note
Before You Read - Warnings
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty One
Chapter Sixty Two
Chapter Sixty Three
Chapter Sixty Four
Chapter Sixty Five
Chapter Sixty Six
Epilogue

Chapter Forty Eight

42.8K 1.6K 748
By MelyssaWhyte

Kenzie ~

James' house was huge and immaculate with rooms for everyone on the team.

Nate had claimed a spare room and set up a small command center while the rest of the girls sat in the living room with James and Austin.

The fact that Knight Security was under attack meant everyone was on edge and on high alert as they all sat or paced the living room, but Kenzie had complete faith in Hunter.

Kenzie's eyes couldn't stop drifting to the large windows and she scanned the bushes and trees, feeling like she was being watched.

"I got motion sensors and cameras out there doll. Nate and I would know it if someone was out there." James offered, clearly trying to calm Kenzie's nerves.

She gave him a smile and a nod as she walked to the kitchen where Zeus was laying on the cold tile.

Lifting his head as she walked in Zeus wiggled his rear end as she passed practically begging to be petted and loved on.

Kenzie obliged as Lexi entered the kitchen, unable to shake the worried look off her face.

"There's gotta be some good snacks in here." Lexi said as she opened the fridge.

"I got some pickles in there mama." James said with a laugh.

It was difficult to control her smile as Kenzie watched Lexi's eyes light up at the pickle jar. She was the cutest little mommy and the entire group seemed to find joy in her pregnancy.

Austin hopped off the couch when he saw Lexi struggling with the lid.

"I got it." Austin said as he took the jar from Lexi and twisted it with ease without any effort whatsoever.

"She loosened that up for you." Kenzie sassed, getting a smile from Lexi.

"Hell yeah she did." Austin said with a wink.

"You want one? Lexi asked, holding out a small pickle for Kenzie."

Zeus scrambled to his feet until he was frozen in a seated position with his ears perked

"Not you goober." Kenzie said with a grin as the rubbed the top of Zeus' head and took the pickle from Lexi.

The energy in the kitchen was light hearted but it was short lived once Kenzie and Lexi saw how nervous Natalie was. Nat was never one to openly express how she felt, but her emotions were written all over her face.

"I think I'm going to go lay down. Come get me when the guys are back and this is over." Natalie said as she stood and moved to a bedroom in an attempt to hide from her own feelings.

Lexi took a step in her direction but Caroline waved her off.

"I got her." Caroline said with a half smile as she followed Nat down the hall.

Natalie was still dealing with unresolved trauma from her kidnapping, trauma that she tried to hide from everyone, including Pierce. But if anyone could talk her down and make her feel safe, it was Caroline.

Lainey and Claire watched them head down the hall from the floor. Lainey had documents spread out all over the floor as she scoured over them, sorting, highlighting, marking, tapping. We had tasked Claire with finding certain names within the documents and she took that responsibility very seriously.

The room was quiet with light noise from the TV that James and Austin were watching and the rustling of papers on the other side of the room where Lainey and Claire were sitting.

Zeus drooled over the pickles on the counter, but didn't move a muscle. He sat stock still with his eyes fixated on the jar until something near the window stole his attention.

What's he looking at?

Kenzie followed Zeus as he cautiously approached the large bay window, watching Zeus' body language change. He let out a low growl that prompted Austin to immedia join them at the window.

"Whatcha see buddy?" Austin asked, casually moving Kenzie behind him.

There was nothing, no movement, no rustling, no lights or sounds. The only thing that could be seen was a house far off in the distance.A person was on the upper terrace of the house next door but it was so far away Kenzie couldn't tell if it was a man or a woman.

Squinting her eyes, Kenzie tried to focus on the small figure that was bent over positioning something on a chair.

"Sun bathing?" Kenzie asked, but it was as if Austin hadn't heard her. His expression hardened and he was completely focused on the person next door.

"What are y'all looking at?" Lexi asked from the kitchen.

"Stay right there Lex." Austin said firmly.

His shift in tone grabbed everyone's attention.

"You know the neighbors in that big ass house to the East?" Austin asked James over his shoulder.

James wrinkled his nose and recoiled his head in confusion.

"That house is fucking hideous. It's been on the market for over a year."

"Vacant?" Austin said, tightening his hand around Kenzie's wrist and stepping them backwards.

"Yeah."

"Fuck." Austin muttered.

Kenzie's eyes focused on the small figure in the distance watching the person straighten their stance and hoist something up on their shoulder.

We need to run.

"Get away from the windows right fucking now." Austin yelled.

They ran toward Lexi in the kitchen with Zeus bounding beside them like he was trained to do. Both Kenzie and Austin saw the grenade launcher at the exact same time.

Oh my God.

"Get down!" Austin yelled in a voice so loud and powerful, Kenzie knew the entire house had heard it.

He grabbed Kenzie and Lexi forcing them to the ground with his body on top of theirs a split second before the entire room exploded around them.

Two loud explosions tore through the house sending debris and furniture flying around them as they were flung across the floor.

It took a few seconds for Kenzie to fully grasp what had happened. She opened her eyes wide with her ears ringing and her senses slurred and slowed.

Her mind instantly took her back to the training exercises her father had forced her to complete. He'd set off a blast and force her to complete an obstacle course or shoot at a row of targets.

Move. We have to move. Blasts are to maim and paralyze while the enemy moves in. We have to move now.

"Get up." Kenzie said, but her own voice sounded distant and muffled.

She reached out to Lexi who was shaking her head, trying to regain her senses.

"We gotta move Lex." Austin said, but Lexi was too focused on her loss of hearing to acknowledge him.

I know that feeling. It's terrifying. But if you wait to move until your hearing returns it'll be too late.

Kenzie reached out and cupped the sides of Lexi's face, forcing Lexi to look at her so she could read her lips.

"Run." Kenzie said loudly.

A faint rapid popping sound stole Kenzie's attention as Austin pulled both women to their feet, shielding them behind him. He shook his head with blood trailing from one of his ears as he checked the magazine of his gun and snapped it into place.

As soon as he'd checked his weapon a spray of bullets peppered the walls and cabinets around them.

They dropped and crawled on their bellies with Kenzie tugging at Zeus' collar for him to follow.

Austin leaned out from the side and returned fire only to have a hail of bullets rain down around them from multiple shooters.

There's too many of them.

Kenzie felt Austin pull her and they managed to crawl into the hallway connected to the kitchen as bullets continued to fly.

"Fuck." Austin muttered breathlessly. "We gotta move."

"But they'll shoot us in the back." Lexi said with tears in her eyes.

"We're sitting ducks here Lex. He's right."

"I'll draw em out and you two run down that hall and out the side patio door."

There were too many gunmen and Austin didn't have near enough ammo. He knew it. We knew it. It was a suicide mission and Austin was about to sacrifice himself so we could get away.

Lexi and Kenzie squeezed Austin tightly with tears stinging their eyes as the chaos continued, getting closer from the kitchen.

"Go now!" Austin said as he stood and bolted across the doorway, leading the shooters on a goose chase through the house.

Kenzie whistled for Zeus and grabbed Lexi's arm, taking off in the opposite direction.

The shooting continued and tears streamed down Lexi's face as they ran.

"We have to help Austin." Lexi whimpered.

I know but how? I don't even have a weapon.

They continued to run with sounds of rapid gunfire behind them, knowing those bullets were meant for Austin. It was gut wrenching to leave him, but he told them to run, so that's what they were going to do.

Kenzie and Lexi had almost reached the side patio door when two figures armed with large rifles appeared, stalling their forward motion.

Shit.

With her hand on Zeus' collar, Kenzie took a hard stance in front of Lexi, using her body as a shield. They were in a hallway with no escape and Kenzie readied herself as the two assailants approached.

Zeus' hair bristled and he gnashed his teeth at Kenzie's side as the two men grew near.

"Zeus. Down." Kincaid's commanding voice echoed.

The ferocious Rottweiler immediately laid in a prone position on the ground at Kincaid's command and Kenzie's eyes grew wide when she saw the man at his side.

Banks.

"Austin needs help!" Lexi screamed at Kincaid.

"Where?" Kincaid asked with his rifle drawn and aimed down the hall.

"Just beyond the kitchen."

"I'm on it." Banks said, giving a dazed Kenzie a peck on the top of the head as he brushed past her.

Banks engaged with the shooters in the kitchen, crouching and crawling as he took them out one by one.

He's shooting his own teammates...he was telling the truth.

"What's going on?" Kenzie asked wondering how Kincaid and Banks arrived seconds after the bombing.

"This place is crawling with Elite operatives. We gotta get you two out." Kincaid said with his head on a swivel and his rifle ready.

"What about Nat and Claire and..." Lexi was wrestling with the notion of leaving her friends behind. "We can't just leave them."

"James, Caroline, and Nate are still in there. And I'll come back for them, I swear Lex but right now I need to get you two secured before I can do anything else."

Kenzie gave Lexi's hand a squeeze as she tried to help her to get feet, but Lexi didn't budge.

Tears streamed down Lexi's face, but Kincaid was calm and spoke directly to Lexi coaching her as if he'd done it a thousand times before.

"Take a deep breath and listen to me." Kincaid said as he crouched down in front of Lexi.

"I will not leave them. But you need to run." Kincaid held Lexi's gaze and placed one hand gently on her abdomen.

Popping of gunfire erupted again and Lexi's body sprang into action as she and Kenzie ran toward the door with Kincaid leading the way. He swept the area outside the door with his rifle giving them a safe pathway toward the tree line.

Banks and Austin spilled out of a broken window causing Kenzie and Lexi to let out a sigh of relief that Austin was okay. The two men made their way to Kincaid trying to formulate a plan of action among the chaos.

Austin was breathing heavily and blood soaked his shirt in various places.

"Oh my God." Kenzie whispered as her hands instantly moved to give Austin aid.

"It's nothin Kenz." Austin insisted. "Grazes and cuts from debris. I'm fine." 

"I don't know how you two go here so fast and frankly I don't give a shit." Austin said as he grunted and pulled his phone from his pocket.

"Ax." Austin said breathlessly, into the phone while Kincaid and Banks opened fire from the tree line.

"What the fuck happened? Hunters on the other line with Nate said the house had been hit by some kind of explosive. We're on our way. Talk to me."

"Fucking grenade launcher from an adjacent house. They didn't set off the perimeter alarms or motion detectors because they didn't step foot on the damn property."

"How many?" Axel asked.

"Ten, fifteen, maybe more. Banks took out three of em and Kincaid's dropped a few."

"The fuck did you just say? Banks and Ice are there?" Axel asked harshly in disbelief.

Kincaid motioned for the phone with a scowl on his face.

"You're talking to him."

"What the actual fuck man." Axel growled knowing Kincaid had defied a directive from Hunter.

"If I had time to explain, I would but I don't. Where's Nate? What his status?" 

"Pinned down somewhere in the house. Dec said he sounded injured but that's all I know."

"What's your ETA?"

"Fifteen."

"Yeah well make it shorter." Kincaid snapped.

"They may not have fifteen." Banks said as he focused the scope of his rifle on a hoard of Elite Tactical operatives dressed in full camouflaged body armor that were creeping along side the house.

Kincaid let out a sigh with hatred in his eyes as he watched the enemy operatives start to descend on the house.

"We gotta secure that hallway and start running the girls out here to Austin." Kincaid said.

Banks nodded and crouched down, handing Kenzie a weapon that she gladly accepted.

"Absolutely not." Austin said at the sight of a rifle in Kenzie's hands.

"Chill the fuck out. She's probably a better shot than you." Banks muttered, giving his sister a wink.

"Kincaid will go in for the girls. I'll draw the shooters out and you pick em off." Banks said to Kenzie.

"Easy enough." She said with a forced smile.

Tossing Austin a gun, Kincaid confirmed the layout of the house and quickly went over their plan once more before he and Banks took off for the house.

Hiding Lexi behind a tree, Austin laid out on his belly with his rifle trained on the door while Kenzie scoped out a perfect spot along the hill.

Kenzie stayed crouched but slowly started to move where her brother had told her to set up.

"Woah, hey. Where do you think you're going?" Austin snapped.

"If I pick them off from here, this is the exact spot where they'll return fire." Kenzie pointed out, letting her eyes drift over to Lexi.

Rubbing aggressively at the back of his neck, Austin let out a frustrated sigh.

"Fine. But if you start taking too much heat you shut it down and run to me. Got it?"

"Got it."

Kenzie moved a safe distance away, staying concealed behind the trees as she silently moved. Her adrenaline coursed through her veins but she channeled it to extreme focus as she found the perfect vantage point on the hill. She watched her brother open fire and back up along the yard, forcing the operatives to advance and come forward, oblivious  to the fact that they were in Kenzie's sights.

"Oops." Kenzie taunted  and scoffed under her breath as she squeezed the trigger and dropped one of the assailants.

Her cheek rested on the rifle as she allowed two more to enter her line of sight.

"Just a little more...gotcha" Kenzie whispered to herself as she pushed the air from her lungs and squeezed the trigger four more times. Two for each operative that was actively pursuing her brother.

There was movement near the patio door that and Kenzie breathed a sigh of relief when she saw James emerge with an unconscious Nate slung over his shoulder. He ushered Lainey and Claire up the hill toward Austin who provided cover fire as they made their way to safety.

There was more movement on her other side from behind, causing Kenzie to hold her breath and turn her head in an effort to remain concealed. More armed men in Elite Tactical camo poured out of the dense trees barreling toward the house, failing to notice her in the prone position a few yards away. She was nestled down in deep brush and didn't move a muscle as they passed.

1,2,3,4,5,6,7....holy shit there's too many.

Her heart rate picked up and her palms started to sweat as she realized there was only a matter of time before the dozens of ruthless operatives realized they weren't in the house and began to scour the tree line.

Maybe I should fall back and rejoin Austin and James.

Before she worked herself into a panic Kenzie saw several figures in street clothes fanned out with weapons raised, coming around the side of the house.

"Nat!" Pierces deep voice boomed as he opened fire on several assailants.

Kenzie's heart rate picked up to a much different pace and her body came alive, knowing that Hunter was nearby.

Oh thank God.

Hunters men reigned down a hail of bullets, moving with machine like precision as they dismantled the Elite Tactical forces.

It was almost too easy to pick out Hunter as he led his men. His movements were powerful and commanding as he opened fire, holding off a pending attack so his men could enter the house.

He doesn't know where I am.

Banks assisted them, providing cover while Kenzie kept a watchful eye from the tree line, silently protecting her brother and Hunter.

Squeezing the trigger as if her rifle was an extension of her body, Kenzie eliminated a threat that was hammering down on Banks, getting a hand gesture of gratitude over his head before he continued his assault on the Elite Tactical men.

"Baby girl giving big brother cover fire. So touching I might shed a tear." A venomous voice echoed from behind her.

Dad.

Kenzie whipped around onto her back, readying her body to defend herself against the attack she knew was coming.

I know you. You've got me on the ground and you're going to kick me, you fucking coward.

Miles' tactical boot raised and moved, but Kenzie anticipated the blow, shooting her hands up to grab the toe and heel of his boot with both of her hands and twisting until he was knocked off his feet.

"I see you haven't forgotten what I taught you, you little bitch." He hissed as he righted himself.

They both lunged for the rifle, but Kenzie was no match for Miles' strength. He ripped the gun from her and aimed it at her.

Kenzie glared at her father and held her hands in a surrender pose. She glanced to her left and saw Hunter and his men exiting the house feeling like her heart was going to explode at the sight of them.

If I stay silent, I could be taken hostage or shot. If I scream I could also be shot. Either way I'm dead, but I refused to let my dads face be the last thing I see.

Turning her head toward the house, Kenzie locked her eyes onto Hunter - his massive body moving swiftly along the building. Kenzie sucked in a breath and screamed his name as loud as she could. It was a blood curdling scream from her gut, one that he couldn't ignore as he whipped his head in her direction instantly.

His eyes were burning with hatred as he focused on Miles with a deep determination that made Kenzie's anxiety melt.

He's coming for me everything's okay.

It was the last peaceful thought that flashed through Kenzie's mind, before her entire world went dark and silent.

********

Thoughts? Theories?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

883 37 12
After living among humankind for so long, Hunter is forced into the spotlight when a series of unplanned event's reveals a hidden plot to completely...
382K 21.8K 61
She was once loved He too once loved. She is fat, He is fit. She stopped showing emotions, He too stopped showing emotions. She is ugly and got mock...
5.2M 176K 52
When 19-year-old Nathalia witnesses a murder she becomes the key witness in a huge case against several high-ranking mob members, which means she mus...
90.7K 3.3K 32
(LOVE'S SPECTRUM BOOK ONE) I've been awake for a few minutes, I'm just lying there loving the feeling of my angel in my arms. I feel her move and her...