Building on Dreams

By cpstabell

Book 6 of the Dreamers Series, this story follows Greg and Susan as they get their lives back on track. After... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - Home Again
Chapter 2 - The Information of Dr. Daniels
Chapter 3 - Results of a Sunday Drive
Chapter 4 - Questions About Faith
Chapter 5 - Rhythm and Harmony
Chapter 6 - The Faith of Children
Chapter 7 - Planning a Secret
Chapter 8 - Memories of the Meadow
Chapter 9 - Mr. Levinson
Chapter 10 - Getting Ready for Thanksgiving
Chapter 11 - Thanksgiving Day
Chapter 12 - Thanksgiving Stories
Chapter 13 - Deer Hollow and an Ocean View
Chapter 14 - December Plans
Chapter 15 - A Stressful Evening
Chapter 16 - The Wedding
Chapter 18 - The Old Neighborhood
Chapter 19 - Chanukah with the Gaffneys
Chapter 20 - Travels for the Holidays
Chapter 21 - The Abernathy's for Christmas
Chapter 22 - Journey to Seattle
Chapter 23 - Talking With Michael and Rachelle
Chapter 24 - The Acceptance of Mates
Chapter 25 - Sightseeing in Seattle
Chapter 26 - Rain, Fame, Fish, and Other Slippery Things
Chapter 27 - Whale Watching on the Sound
Chapter 28 - A First Anniversary and the Ride Home
Chapter 29 - Home Again
Chapter 30 - A Busy Month
Chapter 31 - Alphabet Cards
Chapter 32 - The Faith of a Friend
Chapter 33 - Plans for a House
Chapter 34 - An Idea
Chapter 35 - The Test Drill
Chapter 36 - An Unexpected Discovery
Chapter 37 - Exploring a Cave
Chapter 38 - Dinner with Friends
Chapter 39 - Schedules and Things
Chapter 40 - New Beginnings and Old Friends
Chapter 41 - Progress and Prayers
Chapter 42 - Lips, Secrets, Cabinets and Cement
Chapter 43 - Appointments and Plans
Chapter 44 - Memorial Day Weekend
Chapter 45 - After the Rain
Chapter 46 - The Notebook of Maxwell Tabor
Chapter 47 - Helping Family and Friends
Chapter 48 - Preparing for Babies and Brothers
Chapter 49 - New Arrivals
Chapter 50 - Blessings From the Lord
Epilogue

Chapter 17 - Chanukah

44 1 0
By cpstabell

            It was well past midnight, closer to morning than it was evening, when the Abernathy family arrived home at the farmhouse. The children slept more or less soundly nearly the entire way, and everyone gratefully crawled into their beds for a few hours before it was time to get up again on Monday morning.

            Not surprisingly, getting up at the usual time the next morning was harder than it usually was. Susan stretched and yawned as she convinced herself to get out of bed.

            “Why does it feel like we just went to bed?” she commented aloud as Greg was doing the same thing, a bit more successfully on the other side of the bed.

            “Because we just did,” Greg reminded her. “We didn’t get home until just past three. It’s only six thirty now.”

Susan yawned again, a bit more loudly than before. “Don’t remind me. Well we all do have to get up. The kids have to go to school and I need to work today.”

 “I do too,” Greg assured her.

Susan arched her brow. “Am I forgetting something? I didn’t think you had to be in the studio at all this week.”

“Not every day, but I do some, and there are a number of other things I am working on,” Greg reminded her.

Susan nodded tiredly, but her brain was too fuzzy to work out what that might mean, so she simply got up, forcing herself to go through the motions for the rest of the day.

Tuesday was a bit better, as everyone went to bed early on Monday night and they were all better rested the next day. Again the kids went to school, Susan worked at home, and Greg was away from home for most of the day. Susan had so much to do she didn’t wonder about it until the same thing happened on Wednesday too, so by Thursday morning she decided to ask her husband as they got ready for their day, what he’d been up to all week.

            “What are you doing when you’re away all day?” Susan asked after breakfast when Thursday came and Greg still didn’t look like he was planning to work at home.

            “Working on various projects,” he told her. “I told you before Thanksgiving that Alex has some work lined up for me this month. Most of it has been this week, though I will be doing some late next week too.”

            “You weren’t doing that on Monday, were you?” Susan asked doubtfully, trying to remember what he said when she’d asked previously about that.

            “No. I had meetings with Alex and Denis and a few other people on Monday, but my studio days this week are Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday,” Greg answered.

            Susan looked at him in surprise. Normally Greg had to leave extra early when ever he was working in the studio, but this week he’d been leaving relatively late and she commented on that as they finished their meal.

            “That is a very accurate observation. I’m only doing audio work this week, so there’s no make-up or costuming involved which is ususally the reason I have to be there early,” Greg explained.

            “You’re still taking this Friday off, aren’t you?” Susan verified. They’d been celebrating Chanukah each evening that week so she didn’t really think he’d forgotten about their plans for the weekend, but they hadn’t talked about it much either.

            “Yes, of course. I’ll pack after our lesson this evening, so we can be ready to leave in the morning. Do you need help with the children?” he asked as an afterthought.

            “I think Jessie and I are nearly packed, but I’d appreciate it if you could help decide what sort of attire Zackary might need,” Susan said.

            “For services you mean?” Greg asked.

            “Yes.”

            “The three of you don’t have to go if you don’t wish to,” Greg reminded her.

            “Yes, we do. Mr. Levinson is giving us a homework assignment,” she told him. “I don’t know what it is exactly, but I suspect it’s a listening assignment, having to do with our vocabulary lesson. He wants us to listen to others speaking the Hebrew language.”

            Greg arched his brow. “I don’t suppose I can object to you going for the purpose of listening to the message,” he said.

            Susan smiled. “Don’t worry, Greg. I’m not trying to convert, honest. The more I am beginning to understand, the less I would want to. Everything seems much more spiritual somehow when you don’t know the language.”

            “Does it?” Greg asked in surprise. “I have to go, Susan. I’ll talk to you some more about this tonight,” he promised.

            Susan smiled as he kissed her on the cheek and hurried out the door.

Susan got the kids off to school and spend the entire day working, followed by dinner and the family’s Hebrew lesson with Mr. Levinson. Greg arrived home late, only catching the very end of the lesson, just in time to hear they had indeed been given homework. He sat through the last few minutes of the lesson with the rest of the family, but as soon as Mr. Levinson was out the door, the family immediately turned their attention to packing, in preparation for leaving for Oakland again the next day.

            “Are you sure we have to drive, Mom?” Zackary asked early the next morning as they all climbed into the car and were on their way, headed towards the most expedient route via I-5, through the middle of the state. “We got to fly last weekend.”

            “I know flying is faster, but we’re going to be there more days this time, and we’ve been wanting to do more things than to stay in Oakland the whole time,” Susan reminded him. “So this way we have our car, and it’s a much more economical trip this way.”

“Yeah I know, but it’s so boring!” Zackary complained.

            “I brought your history book along. Why don’t you read your assignment to us while we drive?” Susan suggested.

            Zackary made a face, but he did as Susan suggested, reading aloud from his text book on the subject of world history while they drove. To everyone’s surprise, they all learned something, and it did make the time go much faster.

The family arrived in Oakland by early-afternoon, in plenty of time to check in at their hotel and have a swim in the pool, before going to Alan’s for their Sabbath supper and Chanukah celebration at sunset that evening.

            “How’s married life treating you?” Susan asked Alan as he invited them all in. Cindy, he explained, was putting supper on the table.

            “Good. You were right Susan,” Alan told her. “Thanks.”

            Susan smiled. “I’m glad you found it useful.”

            “We did. Hi Zack, hello there little Jessie!” Alan greeted Jessie with a hug reminisant of their dance, before picking her up and twirrling her about.

            “Wee!” she cried happily. “That’s fun! I wish Papa could still do that.”

            “You’re getting too heavy for Papa, Jessie,” Susan reminded her.

            “What did you tell him, Susan?” Greg asked curiously as they trailed behind Alan who was leading them, children first, towards the kitchen.

“Nothing earth-shattering, only that being soul mates was no guarentee of a long an happy life together; that even soul mates need to pray and listen and work at it,” Susan explained.

“That is so true,” Greg agreed.

“What’s so true?” Cindy asked curiously as they all appeared in the dining area near the kitchen.

“That no matter how well suited to one another a couple is, you have to work at having a good marriage,” Greg told her.

“We are trying, aren’t we, Alan?” Cindy asked as she turned setting the table over to Susan while she dished up foods and carried them to the table.

“Yes, we are,” Alan said in a moment uncustomary seriousness. “Are we ready to eat?” he asked his wife.

“I think so,” Cindy said.

They all sat down and to Alan’s surprise, Greg defered to him as head of his new household to lead them in prayer.

c

Compared to the weekend of the wedding, the Abernathy family’s weekend in Oakland over Chanukah was much more relaxed and much less tiring. Their Sabbath supper and the fifth night of Chanukan at Alan and Cindy’s passed pleasantly, and in deference to the newlywed’s status, Greg and Susan were careful to take the family back to the hotel relatively early.

The Abernathys attended the synagogue together on Saturday morning with Alan and Cindy, and Greg noted Susan was taking their homework assignment seriously, concentrating on picking out words she recognized from the sermon and taking notes as she did. Saturday afternoon she spent Christmas shopping for her family while Greg relaxed with the children at Alan’s, where they once again gathered for supper and the Chanukah celebration in the evening.

“This is so much different than it was last year,” Alan commented as they pushed back from the table after dinner that evening, after the gifts had been opened and both Zackary and Jessie were amusing themselves nearby in the living room.

“It is, isn’t it?” Greg agreed. “One year ago, we were both single men, visiting the outback, staying in tents, and anticipating what the new year had in store for us.”

“You were? Single I mean?” Cindy said. “I thought you married Susan during the holidays last year.”

“They got married on New Year’s Day, just a few days before the rest of us flew home,” Alan told her. “But he didn’t even ask her until Christmas Eve … which was on the third night of Chanukah last year.”

“Didn’t that make things complicated?” Cindy wondered.

“Not really … or least it didn’t seem to, to me. I don’t know though. Dad made all the arrangements,” Alan said.

“Arranging for our safari in the outback did take some planning, however the arrangement of the holidays was very convient for spending the time together,” Greg shared.

“I suppose I was thinking in terms of the wedding,” Cindy said. “That sounds really quick to me, to get married only a week after you got engaged.”

“It was,” Susan agreed, “however our families didn’t want us to wait as they wanted to be present for the ceremony, so it made sense to do it while they were there. As it turned out, it was a good thing we did, because that enabled us to take in Jessie only a few days later.”

Cindy nodded. “Alan told me about that. I can’t believe how much has happened this year. I hope next year is a bit calmer.”

“It’s bound to be,” Susan agreed.

“I don’t know about that,” Greg commented, thinking of the house he intended to build. “I think next year will bring it’s own surprises and challenges.”

“Do you have something in mind?” Alan asked his father. Greg’s face wore an expression he knew well from his youth that meant he was planning something.

“I do actually. Susan and I are building a house,” Greg shared.

“You are?” Alan asked in surprise. “You mean you’ve started it already?”

“We made an offer on a piece of land where we plan to build, which was accepted just last week. We expect escrow to close in early January; and I’ve already been meeting with the architect to scope out the preliminaries for our design. It is all very exciting,” Greg told him.

Alan raised an eyebrow, glancing at Susan with an expression very reminecent of one often worn by his father. “Are you designing it or is Susan?” he asked.

“The architect is designing it, we are simply contributing elements we want to include,” Greg said. “With any luck, our next holiday season will be celebrated there … in our new home.”

“I look forward to it, Dad,” Alan assured him looking skeptical.

“I do too,” Susan said. “Especially seeing what you have in mind. Something tells me it’s going to be a very imaginative design.”

“So far it is proving to be a very good outlet for my creative abilties,” Greg agreed.

“I though you were working on a movie, Greg,” Cindy commented.

“I am, however at this point the draft of my script has been turned over to a professional script writer. I will be collaborating with him eventually, however I don’t expect that will take much of my time until sometime next spring, or possibly towards the middle of next year. That should leave me considerable time between now and then to do this as well,” Greg said.

Susan regarded him thoughtfully.

“Have you some concerns about this, Susan?” he asked when they’d talked about it for a while and she’d added nothing more to the conversation.

“I’m just thinking about next year, Greg. I was so looking forward to a normal year … you know, working at a normal job, doing normal things, but if you have your way, this coming year is going to be just as life-changing as the past five years have been,” Susan said. “Do you suppose once we actually do have our cottage in the forest again, then things will finally calm down?”

“Our cottage in the forest?” Greg questioned.

“Isn’t that metaphorically what you’re building us?” Susan asked.

“Don’t you know?” Cindy questioned.

“Greg’s gotten it into his head to make as much of this as possible a surprise,” Susan told her. “I don’t mind that so much because I know building a house involves a huge amount of planning, managing of details and negotiation of contracts, all things he excells at and really enjoys, where as to me it’s all just a lot of work. But it does make me a little nervous sometimes.”

“Not too nervous, I hope,” Greg said regarding Susan attentively.

Susan smiled. “I wonder if we should get going, let the newlyweds have the evening to themselves?”

“It’s not that late Susan,” Alan assured her.

“No, I know it isn’t, but we were planning to get up early tomorrow. Zackary and I were hoping to attend the early service at our old church tomorrow morning then to spend the day in Silicon Valley afterwards, showing Greg and Jessie around our old town,” Susan explained as she began to gather their things.

“Are you going with her, Dad?” Alan asked.

“I plan to. The architecture of the building is really remarkable. There is a pipe organ built into the structure around the dais,” Greg explained. “I am looking forward to hearing it played.”

“It sounds like you’ve been there,” Cindy said.

“Susan took me to visit the place last October while we were here, but I didn’t have the opportunity to attend services with her at that time,” Greg said. “I think Susan has been looking forward to having the opportunity to do that.”

“Yes, I have,” Susan agreed.

“Are you still coming here for supper tomorrow evening? You know we’ll all be going to the Cohen’s house on Monday,” Alan cautioned.

“All of us?” Greg questioned.

“The four of you, us, and Mom and Reuben from our family, plus those of Cindy’s family who live near here. I think her uncle, and her grandparents are coming to her Mom’s too,” Alan said.

“Her uncle? The one who converted?” Greg questioned.

“Yes,” Alan said. “Oddly enough, he wants to meet you … you and Susan I think. He’s coming with his wife.”

“I see,” Greg said. “Then we will most definitely be here with you tomorrow evening and we will go with you and your mother to Mr. and Mrs. Cohen’s house on Monday.”

“Which means tomorrow will be your last night of Chanukah with us here. It sounds like between that and everything else you have planned, you’ll have a very full day tomorrow,” Cindy said as she got up too. “I can see why you’d want to get the children to bed relatively early.”

“It does seem like a good idea,” Susan agreed.

Greg helped her to gather their things, as they said their goodnights and Alan saw them to the door.

It was a quick ride back to the hotel where Susan went straight in and began to run Jessie’s bath.

“Do we need to talk?” Greg asked Susan once Jessie was in the tub and Susan had left her on her own for a few minutes to play and bathe.

“Maybe. What would you think of going up to the lounge with me for a drink once we get the kids settled for the night?” Susan suggested.

“A drink?” Greg asked warily, thinking of Ruth and the drinking habit she’d developed after marrying him.

“It doesn’t have to be an alcoholic drink, though a glass of wine might be nice,” Susan added, correctly reading his concern. “It’s just that they expect you to buy one if you go there, and I really would like to do that so we can talk.”

            Greg nodded. “Yes of course, Susan,” he agreed.

            They worked together to get the children bathed, ready for bed and tucked in for the night. Then taking their room key with them, they left quietly so Jessie and Zackary wouldn’t be disturbed while they talked.

Greg escorted Susan up to the lounge on the top floor of the hotel. It was situated in such away that there a view window overlooking the San Francisco Bay, with the city lit up directly across the water from them, and the bridges spanning the waters in several places.

“It always looks so beautiful at night from here,” Susan said.

“It does, doesn’t it?” Greg said rehetorically as they settled themselves at a small table beside the window.

He looked at Susan anxiously once they were seated, wondering what was on her mind. But as Susan had predicted, the cocktail waitress was there before they could begin, asking to take their order. Susan ordered a glass of wine and Greg did the same before turning back to her again.

“Have we a problem?” he asked anxiously.

“I don’t think so,” Susan told him. “Do we?”

“I wondered. You seemed less than comfortable this evening while we were talking to Alan about our plans for the coming year,” Greg said. “And then you seemed very eager to leave all of a sudden to come here. Chanukah is a time for family, Susan. We’ve traveled quite a ways to be here, so I wondered.“

“Did you think we left too early?” Susan asked in surprise. “I didn’t mean to be rude or offend them, Greg … or you. I’m sorry if I did. I really was simply thinking about trying to be prepared for tomorrow … the kids, as well as us.”

Greg studied his wife. “Are you struggling with this? Celebrating Chanukah with me?” he asked.

Susan returned his gaze, wondering how she could explain.

“Greg, you do know … despite the years we spent together trying to get here, last year was the first direct exposure I’ve ever had to this holiday? And I’m sure due to the way we handled things, last year was not exactly ordinary as holidays go,” she said.

“No, it wasn’t,” Greg agreed looking at her thoughtfully as the waitress brought their wine. “What is it you are trying to tell me, Susan?”

 “I need you to talk to me about it, Greg. This is all very new to me, celebrating Chanukah this way. I know there are family traditions and both cultural and religious elements involved, but I really and truly don’t know what they are. For instance, how late when visiting someone’s home it’s customary to stay, or if foods are expected to be brought, or what the activities generally are. And then again, how might that vary when visiting someone like Alan who is your son, vs. visiting someone like the Cohen’s who are family through Cindy, but otherwise are not,” Susan explained. “I know we talked a lot about coming here and planning the logistics, but what I need is for you to tell me is more about the holiday itself. I think I’m missing things or interupting the occasion not because I’m uncomfortable, but because I’m not familiar with it.”

Greg continued to study his wife, thinking about her request as she took a sip from her glass.

“This is not the first time we have celebrated Chanukah together Susan, you and I,” Greg recalled.

“During our past lives, you mean,” Susan said.

“Yes. Don’t you remember?”

“I remember celebrating it with you in our own home. Just you and I, no family, no friends … and the most recent time we did that was more than one hundred and fifty years ago. Customs change in that amount of time. Also, we’ve never celebrated the holiday with your family,” Susan reminded him. “Family traditions were meaningless to us in that setting because of that. They aren’t here. This is the part we need to get right,  so please? Educate me? I don’t want to mess up … not again.”

Greg took a moment to sip his own wine as he considered what she was saying. They were so much a part of one another in so many ways it had become easy to assume she knew things about him in this life that logically, she had no way of knowing.

“All right,” Greg agreed. “I believe this is a minor component in the context of the things we need to get right, but you are correct that it was an error for me to assume that you already knew what was expected. I will tell you what I can.”

Susan sipped her wine while her husband talked, telling her as much as he could about the traditions and practices of his culture and his family in regards to the modern version of the Jewish holiday. As he did, Susan realized she would need to do the same for him before going to her parents for Christmas Day. The main difference was, the way the time with families seemed to be allocated during those holidays, and she was facinated to learn about the nuances she’d been missing, vowing to be a better guest on the remaining two nights.

“Better?” Greg asked as they finished their drinks and walked back to their room roughly an hour later.

“Yes. Thank you, Greg,” Susan said. “And I’m sorry I didn’t think to ask you about it sooner.”

“And I’m sorry I assumed you already knew,” Greg said.

He kissed her in the hallway before opening the door to their room, wondering what they would find. Neither Jessie nor Zackary were asleep when they left, so they’d wondered about the wisdom of leaving them on their own; but as they had hoped, both were sleeping soundly upon their return. It wasn’t long before Greg and Susan were both in bed too, and eventually they too managed to fall asleep.

c

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.2K 415 22
𝘞𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘦𝘯𝘴 𝘪𝘧 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘰𝘸 𝘎𝘰𝘥 𝘵𝘰 𝘵𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘦𝘭 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘭𝘦𝘵 𝘩𝘪𝘮 𝘸𝘳𝘪𝘵𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦 𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘳𝘺...
55 2 16
Book One Life can be boring, yet it can be full of the unexpected. Racheal is trying to start her life again after moving from a small town to a big...
142 14 14
This is the beginning of the fourth installation to the From Night On series. From Night On: Awakenings, From Night On: Pathways, and From Night On:...
7.9K 197 14
As if life wasn't hard enough being reincarnated in the very place he was born the first time around, surrounded by supernatural creatures. Life deci...