Chapter 49 - New Arrivals

Monday morning started early in the Abernathy household, which Zackary commented wasn't fair since it was also the first day of summer vacation and they didn't have to go to school. He didn't complain long however when Susan reminded him the reason they were getting up early was to pick Matthew up at the airport. Zackary was so excited to have his brother come live with them for the summer, that he hurried Jessie along in getting ready so they could leave for the airport on time.

"We'll see you later," Susan promised Greg as she kissed him goodbye.

"And you're coming to the hospital with me later?" Greg checked.

"Probably. I need to talk to Matt about it first, but I expect to go for a while. You might need to be there sooner though," Susan cautioned. "So don't wait for me if it sounds like Richard needs you."

"I'll call you if I do," Greg promised and he kissed her again as they said goodbye.

c

Susan, Zackary, and Jessie arrived at the airport in plenty of time to park and to be in the baggage claim area by the time Matt arrived.

"Hi Mom," Matt said with a smile when he saw them all waiting there.

"Hi, how was your flight?" Susan asked.

"Good. Dad made me bring this enormous suitcase though, so I had to check it," Matt told her.

"That's why we're here, to help you with it," Susan said.

"Which one did you bring?" Zackary asked.

"The jumbo one ... the one Dad claims we never use," Matt told him.

"Yeah well, we've used it twice, both times when one of us moved in with Mom," Zackary commented.

"Yes, but I'm only here for the summer," Matt complained. "I have to go back at the end of August. I didn't really need all that much stuff."

"He just wanted you to be prepared," Susan acknowledged as the conveyor turned on and bags started to emerge from some unseen source below.

It didn't take long to spot Matt's bag, to retrieve it, then to man handle it onto a luggage cart before leaving the airport.

"Where did you parked?" Matt asked.

"Close by," Susan assured him as she led the way. "Have you eaten?"

"Breakfast, but that was ages ago," Matt said. "I suppose it's too early for lunch?"

"It is, but we could stop for a donut if you'd like. I know a place not too far away," Susan suggested.

"That'd be good," Matt agreed as they arrived at the car, loaded his bags into the back and disposed of the luggage cart.

"So what else are we doing today?" Matt asked after they were settled in the car and Susan was maneuvering out of the parking lot and onto the boulevard.

"You're going to babysit us so Mom and Greg can go to the hospital," Zackary announced.

"You're going to the hospital, Mom? Is something wrong? Have they decided to do something to fix your head?" Matt asked, automatically jumping to conclusions their reason for going.

"My follow up appointment with the specialist is next week," Susan told him. "And as far as I know, nothing is wrong. We're going to the hospital because Richard and Marion are having their babies today. Richard is really nervous so we're going to wait with him while Marion is in surgery."

"Oh," Matt said in surprise. "She's having twins, isn't she?"

"Yeah she is," Zackary agreed. "She's huge."