Chapter 27 - Whale Watching on the Sound

As Greg observed during the time Michael visited Moreno Island, the last time he and Susan had the opportunity to spend much social time with him before, Michael could be very charming. So too, it turned out, could Rachelle. The two mirrored one another in their behavior and their additude towards things, demonstrating in a way just how in sync they actually were. It was fascinating to observe, increasing Greg's sense by the end of the day that the two actually were soulmates. He'd only suspected it before, but by now he was more or less sure. He was also becoming more and more certain after watching them, that the one thing they needed in order to become more comfortable around both Susan and himself was faith.

Greg considered the idea as he thought about it late in the day. For an idea he'd stumbled upon almost by accident, it had proven to be very inspiring ... enlightening, even. For in observing Michael and Rachelle he came to understand what he was seeing was a couple who were just as in sync as he and Susan were, who had everything they had together when it came to their marriage, but who lacked faith.

It wasn't that they lacked religion. In fact, it sounded like Rachelle practiced her religion regularly. Michael didn't, though he seemed to recognize the difference between the faith harbored by Susan ... a faith which it turned out had rubbed off on her boys ... and the religious practices of his wife. Rachelle went to church regularly, which to Greg's knowledge, before coming to live with Susan, Michael and Susan's boys generally didn't do. Both Rachelle and Susan observed religious Christian holidays. But to Susan Christmas was about more than the cookies and the presents and the secular trappings generally associated with it. She celebrated the meaning of the holiday deep in her heart ... and she prayed. Something Michael commented on when she gave thanks over their late afternoon snack in the café which they had in lieu of lunch in the early afternoon.

For the adults, the refreshments consisted of coffee while Jessie had juice, but for Zackary and Matt who were convinced they were starving, something more substantial was in order and they'd each been treated to a single slice of pizza to hold them over until dinner.

Susan bowed her head for a moment before she began to sip her coffee, then interrupted Matt before taking a bite of his pizza.

"Yeah Mom?" Matt asked, pizza in hand.

"Aren't you forgetting something?"

"Oh yeah."

Matt momentarily put down his slice, bowed his head and whispered a blessing before picking up again and digging in. To Susan's satisfaction, Zackary did the same thing, but without the prompting.

"No one could hear you, Matt," Rachelle admonished.

"God can," Matt told her as he chewed unconcerned.

Rachelle cocked her head. "What good is a prayer if it isn't said aloud?"

"Prayers come from the heart ... at least that's what Mom and Greg and Pastor Oliver say," Zackary said.

"They do?" Michael asked in surprise.

Susan smiled. "I've always felt they do."

"I don't think the Holy Father would agree," Rachelle said.

"Who?" Susan asked.

"The pope, Susan," Michael said. "He preaches praying out loud so the masses can hear you. Proclaiming your prayers for all the world to know."

"Oh," Susan replied, but apart from that, she didn't answer.

Greg looked at her curiously, but he didn't say anything.

"Don't you believe in religion, Susan?" Rachelle asked curiously.

"I suppose that depends on what you mean by religion. I believe in the Lord, Our Father and put my faith in Him. I pray to Him daily and He has never failed me. I'm a born again Christian and I occasionally go to church. Is that what you mean?" Susan asked curiously.