Chapter 9 - Mr. Levinson

Having Susan home on Thursday was a tremendous improvement for the entire family. Unfortunately for Greg however, his appointment with Brian promised to fill most of his day.

"Are you going to need the car today?" he asked his wife as they breakfasted together after the kids left for school.

"No. I'll be working in our office today," Susan said. "Why? Are you going somewhere?"

"I have a series of appointments to take care of today," Greg explained. "I should be home in plenty of time for supper, well before the language teacher gets here."

Susan nodded. "Well take your time. I came home with enough work project-wise to keep me busy here for any number of days."

Greg smiled.

"So did you call Mr. Levinson yesterday or was it Rabbi Brickner who contacted him?" Susan asked curiously, remembering her husband's comment about it the night before.

"I did, though apparently Rabbi Brickner did also," Greg said.

"What did he say when you talked to him?" Susan asked curiously.

"He confirmed what the rabbi told us. Mr. Levinson is mostly retired, but he does like to take on the odd teaching job that he finds interesting, just to keep himself active. To him the idea of a Gentile family wanting to learn Hebrew is fascinating, and he sounded very interested," Greg told her.

"A Gentile family?" Susan interrupted in surprise. "Is that what we are? What about you?"

"I will not be one of his students," Greg reminded her. "And from the Jewish point of view, the rest of you are Gentiles."

"I know Zackary and I are, but do you think of Jessie that way too?" Susan asked.

"I must, because ethnically, she is," Greg said.

"We don't know that. It's a guess as to what her father was," Susan argued.

"Susan, her surname alone suggests he also was, and her maternal grandmother certainly was. Ethnically, Jessie is a Gentile," Greg told her.

Susan frowned as she studied the remains of her breakfast. She was so sure they'd moved past this, ready to focus on their children's faith rather than religion, but here it was again in the vocabulary Greg had used to discuss their lessons with the language teacher.

"That surprises you," Greg concluded.

 "Yes. I didn't know you thought of Jessie that way," Susan said.

 "Does it matter?" Greg asked.

 "I don't know," Susan said honestly. "I thought there was a reason you wanted to raise her to be Jewish originally."

 "It is what I would wish for any child of mine," Greg shared. "The fact that in this life time Jessie was not born to us and does not share my genes, in no way changes that. I know we have our agreement Susan, to emphasize faith over religion, but that is what I want for her deep in my heart."

 Greg studied his wife when she made no comment.

 "Does it matter to you?" he asked.

 "I'm not sure ... but maybe it should," Susan said. "I understand your wish for her ... I expected that I think, but if you don't think that's what she is ethnically ..." Susan didn't finish her sentence as she thought through her own feelings around that.

"You are thinking that way because of the reasoning you once shared with me concerning Judaism being an ethnic religion?" he guessed.

"Yes ... in part," Susan said. "I haven't changed my mind about that, you know."