Chapter 2 - The Information of Dr. Daniels

Greg and Susan both stayed up an hour later than usual that Thursday night after tucking the children into bed. Greg started in on the task of reading through Andrew’s scripts in their office, while Susan rearranged her desk to accommodate her two computers: one she would use for Ingene Pharma projects and was company owned, and the other was hers and she intended to continue using it for personal things. Eventually though they both went to bed, got up early the next morning to see the children off to school, and continued on more or less with essentually the same thing.

            “Confirm your birthdate for me, Greg,” Susan said as they sat together in their office on Friday morning. Greg was reading at his desk and Susan working at her new company computer.

            Greg looked up from the script he was reading and told her the date.

            “Any major surgeries?” Susan asked next.

            “Is this for the insurance company?” Greg asked remembering the benefits package from Ingene Pharma he’d read about earlier in the week.

            “Yes. Come help me with this. I want to get it done before I leave for my appointment with Dr. Daniels this afternoon,” Susan reminded him. “I don’t want them telling me I haven’t provided enough basic profile information to use my insurance yet.”

            Greg brought his chair over and helped her to complete the on-line form for himself and Jessie.

            “Is the follow up appointment for our miscarriage?” Greg asked.

“Yes. It’s hard to believe it’s been six, almost seven weeks already,” Susan said.

Greg nodded. “What time do you see the doctor?”

            “At one. Do you want to come? We could have lunch at that little café in Malibu first,” Susan suggested.

            “I’d love to Susan, but I need to get through this. I’m a quick study, but I’ve set the goal for myself to have these scripts read and notes made by next Tuesday,” Greg explained.

            “Why next Tuesday?” Susan asked. “I thought Alex said you had until the fifteenth.”

            “He did, but Andrew told me he’d be finished reading my draft and free on that day to discuss it. I promised I’d give him a call. I want to be well prepared to discuss style and approach with him when I do. We’ll need to do that before we start talking about contracts on the fifteenth,” Greg explained.

            Susan reached over and kissed him.

            “What was that for?” he asked in surprise.

            “You just keep doing what you do … and remind me now and then that this is what you do for work. I’ll go to the doctor on my own, Greg. Maybe if I’m not here to distract you, you can get more done,” she said.

            “Thank you for understanding,” Greg told her.

            And they turned their attention back to their individual pursuits for the rest of that morning.

Susan stopped at lunch time to make them both sandwiches, bringing them upstairs so they could eat at their respective desks with as little interruption as possible. Greg smiled appreciatively as she set his plate in front of him, turning his attention immediately back to his reading as she settled herself once again at her desk; only to announce thirty minutes later she was leaving for her appointment.