You Have Us... Always.

By smhanyways

Brynn Kingslee has spent a third of her life protecting herself from her stepfather as fiercely as a twelve y... More

Characters :)
Chapter 1- Nerves.
Chapter 2- Welcoming.
Chapter 3- The Fourth Eldest Brother.
Chapter 4- Family Time.
Chapter 5- Distractions, Distractions.
Chapter 6- Who Done It?
Chapter 7- Slightly, Maybe, Extremely Scary.
Chapter 8- Sir.
Chapter 9- Dolls, Scars and Nightmares.
Chapter 10- You Dare.
Chapter 11- Subtle Worries.
Chapter 12- School.
Chapter 13- The Closet.
Chapter 14- Weekend Blues.
Chapter 15- Zayne's Punishment.
Chapter 16- I Don't Mind.
Chapter 17- I See You.
Chapter 18- Tense and Suspicious.
Chapter 19- Shaky and Unsure.
Chapter 20- Study Session.
Chapter 21- Connecting?
Chapter 22- Oh, I did it again.
Chapter 23- I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream For Ice-Cream.
Chapter 24- New Books and New News.
Chapter 25- Pool Day.
Chapter 26- Hardly Studying.
Chapter 27- Fault.
Chapter 29- Oh, The Horror.
Chapter 30- Bittersweet Things.
Chapter 31- Buckets of Emotions.
Chapter 32- Diet-Planned Smoothies.
Chapter 33- Odd and Freaky.
Chapter 34- Try, Try Again.
Chapter 35- Accessories and Therapies.
Chapter 36- Adult Business.
Chapter 37- Run For Your Brothers.
Chapter 38- Comfort.
Chapter 39- Cartoons and Keys.
Chapter 40- Uplifting Spirits.
Chapter 41- Karma.
Chapter 42- Limits.
Chapter 43- Memory.

Chapter 28- Pretty, Pretty and Who?

32.5K 907 1.3K
By smhanyways

"We're what?"

"Going to the town centre," Brayden answered from the driver's seat.

"Why?"

"Because we're getting new suits fitted and Callan's taking Brynn to Gavin's."

Brynn looked away from the car window at the mention of her name. She was in the middle seat of the back, next to her Zach and Silas. Ezra sat in the passenger seat on his phone and Brayden was driving. She wasn't exactly told where they were going, but she was made to eat breakfast fast on this Sunday morning and get ready to go out by ten so you could say she was half-asleep and half- not paying attention to her surroundings.

On the way out of the garage, she also saw Zayne, Zaiden and Callan getting into one of Zayne's cars too so that meant it was going to be a family-fun outing. And she still didn't know what they were doing.

"Why, again?" Silas wouldn't stop questioning him for the majority of the ride.

Brayden sounded like he was getting agitated, "you know exactly why, Silas. It's Callan's birthday on Friday so we're going to his favourite restaurant."

"Yes I am aware. And we need suits for that, why?"

"Because it's an upclass restaurant and you're going to look your best for your older brother, that's why."

Brynn leant back into her seat, it was Callan's birthday on Friday? What was she going to get him? She had no money to get him anything. What was she going to do? This was Callan, he deserved the most amazingest present out there. What should she do?

"Why can't we just take him to a Nando's or something?"

"Ha ha. Do you want to walk the rest of the way, Silas?"

Silas was silent as he slumped back into his seat and looked to his right out the window; the car actually remained in silence for the rest of the drive there until Brayden parked in a large car park in front of- what looked to be- an outside town centre. 

Brayden stopped the car and got out, as did Ezra, Silas and Zach and then Brynn after Zach, who shut the door after she was out. He placed his left hand on her front and pushed her back slightly when Zayne's car turned to park in the place next to them. 

Silas and Brayden walked around the car to face them, as the three, Zayne, Zaiden and Callan got out. Brynn- herself- had a new view on Callan currently. It was his birthday soon. What could she do for him?

Callan, Zayne and Zaiden stood in front of Zayne's car too so they were all facing each other. Brynn's breath momentarily hitched, she'd forgotten what it was like to be in the presence of all of them at the same time so close. 

Zayne and Callan were in work suits, but the rest of them were in jeans and a plain shirt with a jacket apart from Ezra, who chose to wear joggers and a plain shirt with a jacket. Brynn didn't have much time to think about what she wanted to wear. The second she finished breakfast she was in her wardrobe, pressuring herself to find something fast. Judging by the darkening clouds she saw through her shutters, she had to be warm which resulted in being in dark grey baggy jeans with a white long-sleeved shirt tucked in and a larger white jumper over that. She felt big though because she was also made to wear a black coat over it. Yes, she was warm, but she felt huge.

The girl was brought out of playing with the rim of the coat by Zayne. "Brynn, you stay with Callan." Brynn nodded, "okay."

Callan smiled opposite, walking forwards to place a hand on her left shoulder and guide her towards the town centre. People stared and people avoided as Callan navigated his way around until they made it to a large shop which was white all around. The front of the shop, on each of the glass windows, read in cursive black writing "Gavin's".

The entrance was revolving door. Brynn had seen these everywhere but never actually been through one so you can imagine her wonder once she actually did.

Her enthusiasm lasted as Callan made their way to a formal wear section. The whole shop seemed expensive but the formal wear section was something else. 

Brynn's attention wasn't on her surroundings for too long though, she looked up at Callan. "Why didn't you tell me it was your birthday sooner?"

Callan looked down, not expecting the question. "Because it's ages away, hun. And you know now."

This wasn't the answer Brynn wanted, "no it's on Friday. That's less than a week away." Brynn wasn't even sure why it bothered her, but she didn't know when her brother's birthday was and she might not have known until the actual day. What of that made Callan feel bad?

She kept walking, but Callan tugged her back lightly by her collar, "woah there, little miss," and spun her around so he could crouch in front, "what's this all about, hm?"

Brynn's eyeline found the floor then at the sign behind Callan which read 'Changing Rooms' and had an arrow pointing in the direction of them. Instead of bringing her head up himself, Callan moved his head up to get in the way of whatever she was looking at.

He was successful, making the girl look to the floor on the left. He moved his head again in front of her with raised eyebrows. Brynn turned her head further and Callan followed, "hm?"

They stayed like that for seven seconds before Brynn's eyeline moved to look at him and she sighed. She still didn't understand why she was so bothered. Maybe it was because she had nothing to give him, or maybe it was because this was a firm reminder that she didn't know her brothers. She hardly knew proper things about them, not even their birthdays.

"Just bothers me that I didn't know. I don't know any of your birthdays," she muttered, digging the top of her right foot into the ground. "Sorry."

Callan lifted her head up then, "that's alright, sweetheart. It's not your fault. You've only just met us, my love. Nobody would ever expect you to know such things so soon."

Brynn wasn't convinced but chose to nod, people were going to start looking soon. Callan sighed and stood back up, his knees popping as he did so. Brynn held down a smile as she allowed Callan to guide her somewhere.

"So how old will you be?" she asked, looking down at her feet as she walked to hide the smile that managed to make way on her face. Callan looked down at her then back up.

"Twenty."

Brynn stopped abruptly, looking up at him. Callan's head turned around a few steps away, "what? I can't pass for twenty?"

Brynn said nothing, her lips thinning out in a straight line and wobbling slightly. Callan turned his body around and crossed his arms over his chest, holding a staring match until he scoffed, "okay fine, twenty eight."

"Wow, twenty eight?"

"Why'd you say it like that?"

"How come you're not getting a suit with the rest of them?" they walked through the ties section, Brynn stopping when Callan started to inspect one.

Callan's eyes scanned over the tie's design before he moved to look at another one. "Because I wanted to help you choose something," he answered. "And I didn't want to hear Silas, Zaiden and Zach whine about them."

Brynn nodded, that made sense. "So do I have to get a dress?" she asked, pretending to inspect a tie lower down just like Callan was.

She'd never worn a dress before nor owned one but she had seen some magazine covers of some women wearing them and they'd looked beautiful.

"You can wear whatever you'd like, sorellina. A dress, a suit, even a simple jeans and shirt if you'd really wish." There was no way she was going to wear jeans to Callan's birthday dinner. A suit sounded just as interesting as a dress. She'd seen women wear suits as well on magazine covers and they'd looked beautiful too.

Callan's right hand found her left one, pulling her along the aisle to another one, one filled with elegant dresses. "Choose whichever one you'd like." 

Brynn didn't need this. This was too much. Then she reminded herself of what it was for. For Callan, because everybody else was going to look fancy too.

She tried not to overthink it and choose the first dress she saw, but that was bright yellow so she didn't think that that was the one. Moving on, to the one next one, that was black with some silver at the top. But the one next to it, that one was pretty. It was a basic dress design and lilac. Wow, shopping was faster than she'd thought it would be.

Callan came beside her and spoke, "you know there is another way of knowing you want it?"

Brynn looked up, confused. You can't just know by looking? "You can't just know by looking?"

The man chuckled, reaching up to take a look at the hangers at the front and further back before getting one off. He held it up against her front and straightened it out a bit, smiling.

"Oh yeah, that definitely suits your eyes," he grinned. Brynn's face heated up.

"Is this how you can tell if you want it?"

Callan chuckled, "you wanna know how you can tell?" He started walking out the aisle, expecting her to follow. She did.

He pointed towards the changing rooms sign, "you try them on."

Brynn didn't like this way, why couldn't she just look at it?

Callan seemed adamant about the changing rooms though, and she found herself nudged in one with the door closed and dress hanging up on the back of it. She breathed out, for Callan.

She covered the mirror as she changed, for reasons she'd not wish to discuss, and changed into the dress. It felt weird.

The mirror was uncovered and she took a look at herself. It fitted right and flowed down to just below her knees. Her arms were even covered too. She kind of felt like Aurora from that Sleeping Beauty movie. Like a princess.

Her eyes felt kind of teary as she brought her hands to the front of her stomach and fiddled with the soft material there. She didn't know how long she stood there for, she just knew she never wanted the feeling of feeling so pretty to end.

Eventually she had to step away from the mirror, of course because Callan was still waiting outside. Stopping a few feet away from the door, she hesitated for the handle. What if he didn't like it like she did? She'd choose something else if he didn't.

Her hand met the cold doorknob, gripping around it properly before she could even think of actually opening it. Breathe, she told herself.

She opened it, watching the closed door pop open as she watched her hand and arm pull it open further until it was fully open and she had to step out.

Callan sat on a large, rose gold rounded seat in the centre of the changing waiting room and the second he heard the door open, he stood, breath hitching when she actually walked out.

His eyes trailed down her, at the dress and then her face, at the dress again. Brynn played with her hands behind her back furiously as his eyes looked a bit shiny. "Oh wow, Brynn," he whispered shakily.

He didn't look like he'd hated it.

He took a few steps forward and embraced the stunned girl. He squeezed real tight and stayed silent for quite a while before he said anything else, he heard himself sound choked up. "So did you want to look at anything else or-"

"No, I want this. Please." Callan closed his eyes and nodded.

---

The two made their way through the outside part of town again, this time Brynn was holding the bag with the dress in which she insisted to hold. They came in front of a shop which had extravagant suits in the window, definitely a tailor shop.

They entered, instantly being met with the sight of an empty shop, except the brothers in the corner. Zayne sat on a sofa, doing something on his phone, Silas and Ezra were stood on these stands in front of big mirrors, Zaiden sat next to Zayne, looking bored on his phone, Zach was nowhere to be seen and Brayden stood behind the couch Zaiden and Zayne were on, watching Silas and Ezra. The two had suits on which were slightly too big for them and a guy was currently working on Ezra's.

Brayden was the first to acknowledge Calland and Brynn entering, coming over. "Hey sweetheart, did you get what you wanted?" he smiled, glancing down at the bag in her hand.

Brynn nodded, "yeah, thank you."

"I can't wait to see it." Brynn's face dropped a little, she'd forgotten that she'd actually have to wear it. In front of her brothers.

Callan's hand sneaked around her should, giving a soft squeeze. "It looks amazing." He looked towards where Silas and Ezra were getting fitted, "how's it going in here."

Silas turned his head, "it's great. I love having my ass fondled." 

Zaiden snorted from his place and Brayden scolded, "language." Silas rolled his eyes and looked back towards the mirror.

Callan reached into his back pocket, pulling his phone out and holding it in front of Brynn. "Go sit in the chairs over there," he signalled his head in the direction of three single seats in front of the window," for us, hun. I need to help with the fittings. Play some games on this, okay?" he smiled. 

Brynn smiled back, taking the phone nodding, "thanks." She went to sit in one of the seats whilst Callan went over to Silas and inspected the suit. She chose to sit in the one in the middle, placing the bag down against the wooden legs. 

Callan's phone was already unlocked, displaying a games screen. Brynn chose the one that looked the coolest and played, easily getting distracted by it. However, the distraction didn't last so long. Her eye caught the bag by her legs.

She had a dress. She now owned a dress. An actual dress. And she didn't mind how she looked in it.

That was a first, not minding how she looked. Feeling somewhat maybe beautiful. She'd hoped that everyone had felt that once in their life, beautiful.

She looked towards her brothers. Callan helping Ezra and Silas with their suits, now with Zayne and Brayden helping. Zach coming out of a restroom and starting a conversation with Zaiden still on the couch. How did she get so lucky? She didn't know what she was did to deserve them, and she would probably never know. All she knew was that this was so much better than Milo.

Her vision moved to behind her, outside. Families shopping, parents dragging their children in and out of shops; people shopping alone, partners linking arms and shopping together. She smiled at a young boy crossing his arms with a pout in the middle of the wide walkway, a woman, presumably his mother, stood a few feet in front of him with her hands on her hips and an annoyed look.

She looked someplace else, two women stood outside a bakery, one holding some sort of plant above their heads with puckered lips and the other trying to refrain from smiling before finally giving in. 

She looked away to give them some privacy, the other scene she saw being a group friends talking and laughing, going into a large shop. They disappeared one by one inside until they were gone.

Brynn turned her head over her right shoulder to see what she could see on that side, only to jolt suddenly at the presence stood right outside the window. A man crouching down, staring at her. 

Her heart rate quickened to an immense pace as her breathing became almost audible. What the heck?

Her mouth was slightly parted as small, fast breaths escaped it and her eyes widened to an abnormal size as she watched the man who did nothing. He just watched her. He didn't look familiar at all. Brynn didn't know if that should have been comforting or if that made her more anxious.

He wouldn't stop looking at her. Brynn felt like it had been hours. Vaguely, she saw people in the background, behind him, walking past. So many people walked past, so many bright, different colours coming in and out of view, but the man remained. It was like he was a statue, maybe he was. Was he there when she came in?

She didn't have time to think about that now. Was the man moving closer? It seemed like it, his face was getting bigger and his features were becoming clearer; he was definitely getting closer. Why was he getting-

Someone started shaking her shoulder, causing the girl to look away from the man rapidly and into the concerned eyes of Zach. Her gaze lay upon him for a moment before she looked back out at the window, he'd gone.

She looked back towards Zach, eyes still wide. Zach tilted her head up by the chin to get a better look of her face, "what's wrong, love?"

Brynn closed her mouth and regained her breath. Her eyes snuck another glance outside, was she imagining it

She turned back to Zach, "nothing. Just looking outside."

---

"So I hear you're going to a birthday dinner on Friday?"

Derek crossed his legs over from where he sat atop his desk. Brynn nodded from her usual place on the couch. "It's Callan's birthday."

"Ah yes, what is he now? Forty?" he got off his desk and made his way to the armchair opposite Brynn. "Where are you going?"

"Some restaurant. Brayden said it was Callan's favourite," Brynn answered.

"Sounds fancy. Are you excited?" she shrugged, Derek's eyes narrowed in on her. "You're not?"

"I am, it's Callan's birthday, 'm just nervous," she responded, rubbing the palms of her hands together between her thighs.

Derek nodded once slowly, then nodded twice again faster, "what are you nervous about?"

Brynn shrugged, "I don't know, it's a fancy dinner at a fancy restaurant with my brothers. Anything could go wrong."

"You mean you could embarrass yourself?"

"Maybe."

"Maybe?"

She stayed silent, looking at her kneecaps then back up at Derek. "What if I embarrass them?"

"How could you embarrass them, Brynn?"

"Because people watch them all the time and they're respected and what if I mess that up?"

"Impossible, Brynn. I promise you that that is impossible."

"How do you know?"

"Because I know your brothers, Brynn. And I know you. You, my girl," he pointed his right pointer finger in Brynn's direction, "are a lot more than you give yourself credit for."

The room went silent for a few seconds, before he started speaking again. "I'm serious, Brynn. You're intelligent, you're brave and you are the most important thing in your brothers' lives, you always have been. And embarrassing yourself will not happen, I promise you that. If you allow yourself to believe you are going to be embarrassed then you are more likely to create embarrassing situations for yourself. I know it's easy and not helpful for me to tell you to relax so I'm not going to. But what I am going to say to you is to remember who you're with. When you feel like this, remember who you have with either in person or not. Those people, the ones who support you, will be the only things that matter." He took a breath as Brynn took it in.

"And you must remember how far you've come, yes? You're so brave, Brynn." Brynn didn't feel like it most of the time.

"And besides," Derek leaned back into the chair, "you can always sneak away to the toilets and phone me."

Brynn chuckled lightly and nodded, "yeah I can do that."

Derek grinned and left the girl in silence. It looked like something was on her mind. Something clearly was because she started speaking hesitantly. "I, uhm, today, when we went out, there was-" she cleared her throat, "there was a man." Derek's grin dropped and his face hardened. Brynn paid no mind, continuing,  "standing outside the window. He was just watching me, but when I turned around and looked back he was gone. Not sure if I imagined it or anything." She mumbled the last part and looked down rather dejectedly.Now she definitely sounded crazy.

Derek coughed once, twice, "I'm sure it was just someone browsing, Brynn."

Brynn nodded, "right." 

Then Derek's watch beeped, causing them both to jump. "Well, I guess that's your cue," Derek stated, watching as Brynn got up from the chair and nod. "Yes, thank you."

"Anytime, Brynn," he smiled. "Say hi to your brothers for me."

She nodded, having no plan to say that to them as a conversation starter, but noting down the nice words, "I will."

She got closer to the door and turned around once more. Derek sat in the arm chair, both elbows on either side arm and hands clasped together under his chin as he stared into nothing. 

She turned back around, a little confused but didn't think further on it, opening the door, saying one final goodbye and leaving. Down the hallway and into the lift, keeping her eyes on Derek's office door until the lift doors closed. Derek didn't seem so cheery as he usually was when she told him about the man. 

Peculiar.

---

The second the door closed, Derek snapped out of it and rose from his seat, marching over to his desk. 

He opened the top left side drawer and reached in for his phone, unlocking it and going to contacts.

He pressed the contact he needed to and brought it up to his ear to let it ring. It rang once, twice, thrice-

"Hello?"

"Zayne, hey."

"What can I help you with, Derek? I'm rather busy. Have you and Brynn finished?"

"This is important."

Silence on the other end.

"I'm listening."

---

it's britney bitch. (you have to read that in a michael scott voice for this joke to work.)

Any votes/ comments/ reads given on the 23rd of December are being classed as birthday presents for yours truly. Thank you very much. More updates will be coming soon, no break anymore.

Have a great day.

<3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.2K 515 22
One girl and 12 brothers. How does she keep the secret of being raped? Not only that but the rapist was her boyfriend and her brother best friend. Wi...
2M 43.2K 34
"let's give this girl six older brothers" they said "it will be fun" they said um... whoever "they" is, really wanted to see me struggle!
kindred By Madi Lee

Teen Fiction

925K 22.3K 47
All Adeline Kingston has known is pain. Years of agony, anguish and anger. Brothers. Addie has 7, not that she knew. When she is reunited with her ol...
1.7M 45.1K 64
What happens when a mother and father get a divorce leaving their seven children heart broken and seperated from one another. When the father receive...