The Bug Collector | marauders

By irisfarm

Lily Evan's younger sister, Rose, met half of the self proclaimed "Marauders" before she had even set foot on... More

Summer of 1972
Platform 9 3/4 and The Hogwarts Express
Black Lake and the Sorting Hat
Common Emerald Moth
An Argument Over Breakfast
Remus Lupin and Classes
Herbology
A Ballad to Autumn and Winter
Before the Echos
A Little Room With Water-Green Curtains
Welcome Back
Echo and Narcissus
One Thousand Apologies
The Sword of Gryffindor
Christmas of '73
Tell the Truth
New Years Day 1974
The Comeback Prank
Summer of 74'
Changes
Quidditch and Things Such as That
Afterparty
No Lilies, Nor Irises have Thorns
Our Little Botanist
The Allegory of The Cave
Resistance
On The Way Home
Partners in Potions
The Unreliable Narrator
The Day After Halloween
Figs and Honey
Papilio Polyxenes Asterius
Disenchanted
Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday
A Slytherin Party
The Cloak
Under the Stars, and Surrounded by Greenery
Summer of 76'
Another Year
"R"
Chloris, Goddess of Flowers
Mint Tea
Moony and The Gargoyle
Peter and Plants
Sirius Black's Pajama Pants
Thorns
The "Rumor"
Regulus Black Is A Death Eater
Lily's Opinion
Graffiti Flowers
Jasmine Toothpaste
I Fársa
Response
Dirt, Smoke, And Flower Stems
A Betrayal So Small
Summer of 77'
The Days That Followed
Communication and Energy
Ferns
Ivy Grows
Prometheus and Epimetheus
Ties
Patronus, Dragonfly
555
Castor and Pollux
Pendulum
Another Fight Over Breakfast
A Temporary Alliance
Scorpio
Mint
1978
Rainbow Stag Beetle
Rosemary
O St. Valentine
Plato's Symposium
With Love
The Serpent in the Garden
Bug Collector
Fern Leaves and Black Tea
Stephone
Lost Flowers
Little Shop of Horror
Graduation
Summer of 1978
No Flowers For A Guilty Sadist
Tu Me Manques
Everyone But You
Little Moth
Portrait In A Burning House
The End Of The World
Nine of Swords
The Fool
Wisteria
Romeo and Orpheus
A Pit Viper In A Rose Garden
Enter Ghost
The Years That Followed
Happy Halloween
You Were Promised A Rose Garden

Summer of 75'

1.6K 78 63
By irisfarm

Cokeworth, England

Not minutes after Rose made her way through the front door she was heading up the stairs to start on letters.

Throughout the summer she sent many, and they would usually get a quick reply. Loads of jokes but also complaints of boredom from James, an interesting account of how Remus was spending his summer, and the still combined letters from Peter and Sirius were some of what she had come to expect. However, after the first weeks of summer Sirius progressively wrote less and less, and eventually he wrote nothing more at all.

Rose had wondered what might have caused it, the summer still seemed to fly by without the contact from him but something was so incredibly missing from this gradual disappearance that Rose couldn't quite get it off her mind.

Then, one morning less than a week out from returning to Hogwarts Rose was awakened by an owl oddly early, the type of early when the house feels hazy, and there's dew drops on the grass.

Lily was asleep in Rose's bed as they had spent the previous night up talking together, it felt like each time one tried to sleep the other would think of a new topic and the giggles would start up again.

Lily was meant to have plans with Snape that day but he had canceled, because of this Rose had invited Lily to spend the night in her room and make messy origami with her. Of course Lily's was actually pretty, but Rose didn't mind. Her paper frogs had character even if they didn't bounce when you pushed down on them like her sister's did.

Rose cautiously removed the blankets off herself and got up to check what the owl had brought, not wanting to wake her sleep deprived sister.

She tied up her red hair and put on her glasses before walking over to the desk where the letter remained unopened. After she sat down she lit a soft colored candle that was scented like green ferns, moss, and plush fabric and grabbed a pen. Her responses always looked far less pretty than the letters she would receive, expect the ones from Remus, as those were also written with regular ink pens.

Holding the letter under the candle-light Rose read the name written in nice calligraphy across the front.

Peter Pettigrew.

She opened the letter expecting something from Peter himself, but found only a quick message from Sirius with an annotation from Peter at the bottom.

Miss you.

S.B.

His bloody owl woke me up! You're lucky you got this at all, Rose! I need my sleep!

Reluctantly with Fondness,

Pete

Rose held the letter for a moment, holding it dangerously close to the fire, enough for smoke to bellow over it but not enough for it to catch aflame. She placed the letter down and wrote her reply.

Hope everything's okay. See you in a few days.

Thorns

She drew a tiny heart next to her name before adding a small drawing at the bottom to get Peter's attention, then writing her message to him.

Thanks, sweet dreams, Pettie.

Actually With Fondness,

Rose

She sealed the letter and sent it off with her own owl before pulling another piece of paper.

She attempted to write to Ode, but couldn't quite find the words, they hadn't written at all over the summer, but Rose was still ready to see her again, she just didn't see the point in telling the girl that so she folded up the paper and stuck it in her desk drawer before removing her glasses and going to lay down next to Lily once more.

September 1st 1975
The Hogwarts Express

Rose sat beside James in their usual spot, Sirius sat adjacent from her with Remus and Peter on both sides of him.

If Rose thought the boys looked different last year— they really looked different this year, and she must have too by the way they all looked when she joined them.

Her hair was growing longer and wavier each year, her bangs held a messy look to them but her green eyes shone brightly. She'd gotten some new glasses for her birthday and they suited her much more than her old ones and so she had decided to wear them more often, she wore her pear scented lip balm and some blush on her cheeks, her robes were tightly packed into a bag as she wore her uniform with her father's coat overtop, she also noticed her skirt fit a bit tighter than it had the year before.

Those were her changes.

Sat in front of her was another set of changes that made her heart flutter and her belly tighten.

It was unpleasant really.

Sirius sat leaned over, smirk planted on his face, legs crossed and arms folded, his arms(and James') seemed to fit snuggly inside his long sleeved shirt, perhaps it was even a bit too tight. His red and gold tie was tied loosely around his neck, and there was an extra button unbuttoned from his shirt. Rose found it hard to look away. He had also finally begun to catch up with the other boys heights, though would probably never be as tall as Remus.

Remus' hair was longer this year, as was James', Peter's remained at the soft fluffy length he'd had it the previous year.

James played with one of his curls with his wand, Peter looked out the window, and Sirius leaned ever so slightly into Moony's side, that's when Rose noticed something else new.

A prefect badge pinned to Remus' robe. Remus was gonna be a bloody prefect. Their Remus was going to be a prefect like her sister Lily.

Astonishing honestly.

Rose sat back with a deep breath and allowed herself to glance back over at Sirius once more, and caught eyes with Remus doing the same thing. Sirius' pale skin seemed unblemished in the gloomy glow from the window, his hair long and such a dark black it held cool toned hue, and his lips...

They were pink and supple and girly like Regulus'. He was moving something in his mouth around awkwardly, and now that Rose thought about it he hadn't said much yet, none of the boys really had. She saw a slip of green come from his lips.

"Sirius what's that in your mouth?" She asked

"Nothing" he half mumbled.

"Spit it out!" She said seeing a little more of the thing. Holding out her hand for him to spit out whatever it was.

"No. Leave it be." He said and put one hand over his mouth and moved hers away with the other.

"You're so odd." Rose said before leaning her head against the window hoping to fall asleep for the rest of the ride.

There would be no such luck on this journey back to Hogwarts.

Not long into her nap Rose heard a sound, while it wasn't exceptionally familiar she knew she had heard it before, Lily crying. She lifted her sleepy head to catch a glimpse of her sister running by, hands in her face as she shut the door of the carriage behind her.

Rose stood and removed her father's jacket, tossing it to Sirius.

"Hold this." She said as she went to comfort her sister. That's when she learned what happened.

Severus Snape had the audacity to call Lily a mudblood.

Mudblood, a slur used to describe people that were muggle-born like Rose and Lily.

Rose assisted her sister all she could, letting her cry and eventually taking her back to sit with her friends.

She was fuming internally.

Lily had trusted that slimy git and this is how he repaid her sister's kindness? Lily had to be the one of the kindest people Rose had ever met, perhaps too kind in this case.

Unluckily for Snape, Rose had never claimed to be kind.

Once Rose knew Lily was fine she was on a mission, she walked calmly up to the group of Slytherin boys, Evan Rosier was among them wearing his prefect badge proudly.

"Severus?" Rose asked sweetly for the boys attention before sending a punch right into the middle of his face, blood gushed from his nose onto Rose's hand.

Gasps erupted all around the other Slytherins as Rose wiped her bloody hand onto the boys scarf.

"That'll be at least 20 points from Slytherin.." Evan grumbled.

"And it was bloody worth it." Rose said laced with the same venom of their house emblem.

"Any of you even look at my sister again and it'll be worse." She continued, as she looked over the group, and for a moment she met eyes with Regulus Black who had been sitting among them.

"You too, Black." She spat as she turned to return to her friends.

Regulus looked different too, the surprised expression on his face when Rose looked at him with blood smeared on her fist was almost cute.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.4K 85 19
・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚.There is someone out there who thinks you're perfect and they will give you the world, the stars and everything in between・ 。゚☆: *...
91.4K 2.2K 32
I couldn't hold my tears back anymore. In front of the others, especially in front of Remus and Sirius, I had to pretend like I was okay. But I wasn'...
1.9M 119K 104
{𝗕𝗼𝗼𝗸 𝟮} It all started with a kiss. Or better say, everything ended with a kiss. What Jenna Potter thought was going to lead her to a beautif...
1.8M 47.9K 179
✾𝘑𝘢𝘮𝘦𝘴 𝘗𝘰𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘳✾ ✧ᴍᴀʀᴀᴜᴅᴇʀs ᴇʀᴀ✧ ɪɴ ᴡʜɪᴄʜ 𝘑𝘢𝘮𝘦𝘴 𝘗𝘰𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘧𝘪𝘯𝘥𝘴 𝘩𝘪𝘮𝘴𝘦𝘭𝘧 𝘧𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘪𝘯 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘨𝘪𝘳𝘭 𝘩...