Graduation

Wish it could be said that after the Quidditch season ended days slowed and Rose's time with her best mates was prolonged, but it wasn't. The days flew by. Classes came to a close, and before they knew it the Marauders were attending their graduation feast. So, came the end of practising duelling with Sirius, and sitting on a gargoyle's head late at night with Moony(a cup of coffee and a book in his hand).

Graduation took place inside the Great Hall. Rose couldn't actually sit with her friends, but she did watch them from afar. Seated at the Slytherin table with Odette and Stephone.

For the most part graduation was a boring affair. The Headmaster made long drawn out speeches about dignity and moving forward. The boys shared looks at his words, using them to fuel their longing to serve in the Wizarding War.

As usual, Rose worried about what awaited the boys when they left Hogwarts, but they didn't completely share her worries. At their graduation they were ready to join a war. A war none of them should've been a part of in the first place.

They were still so young.

Other professors gave speeches as well. They made comments about excellent students, et cetera. As the festivities or more so, the formalities were concluded and the actual feast began Rose felt as if she was anticipating something. The entire graduation had thus far been very...prankless.

She glanced over at the boys from time to time, waiting for something, anything, but it didn't come. There had yet to be some final grandiose gesture of Gryffindor pride. There were no magic streamers, no fireworks, no explosions. Not even a lighthearted attack on the Slytherin table.

As the night drew on Rose wondered what Xenophilius, who was also graduating, would do after Hogwarts. Would he lead a mostly muggle life? Would he marry Pandora?

Despite his carefree demeanour, Xenophilius was an exceptionally careful person, as well as a rather skilled writer and poet. Rose could see him writing a novel in the future, but Rose could also see him attempting to conquer the world. She had an ever-growing respect for Xenophilus Lovegood, and hoped he would remain in her life, even if far in the distance.

Minerva McGonagall's distinct voice took Rose from her thoughts. She addressed the graduating class and they stood.

The professor who'd led them through those doors for the very first time would also be the professor who led them out for the final time.

It was dark out when the rest of the Great Hall's occupants followed the seventh years out. Students pushed past one another to get a good look at the small boats docked around the edges of Black Lake.

Rose tried to push past the onlookers to give one final word to her sister or the Marauders, but she was far too slow to keep up with them.

She was left with only the memory of their quick conversation before the feast.

A few hours earlier, in the main garden, Rose sat with the Marauders on a large stone fountain that had been mostly overtaken by vines. The stone was rough against her hands.

Her eyes were brimmed with tears, though she wouldn't allow them to spill over. She choked down her cries until her cheeks grew red and her eyes burned. She clung to Sirius' robes, but couldn't take her eyes off of James. She saw herself in the reflection of his glasses. To her she looked pitiful. Like a child that was unwilling to let go of it's favourite toy.

"Hey, you'll join us in a year, Thorns." Sirius had said supportively, practically engulfing Rose in his robes, arms wrapped tightly around her. Moony stood by his side.