Ivy Grows

Rose awoke early that morning, sneaking out of the dorm and leaving a sleeping Regulus behind.

She avoided going to her own dorm, opting instead to pay a short visit to the library before joining Lily and the Marauders for breakfast.

"I came by to see you last night." Sirius said the moment she sat down, nudging her playfully.

"Did you?" She asked, grabbing a teacup in front of her and shaking some cinnamon into it.

"Yeah, You weren't there. Odette sent me out to the greenhouses, but still no you." He continued, a confused look on his face that sent a feeling of guilt through Rose.

"Sorry, I must have been busy." She said, placing the teacup back down, Lily spoke up after that.

"She was with for a while last night, you probably just came by at the wrong time." She said, giving her sister a small smile.

"Must have." Sirius said, before continuing his own breakfast.

James sent a glance at Lily, but didn't say anything.

At lunch Rose sat next to Lily once more, but for dinner she was nowhere to be seen, and while the marauders wouldn't have noticed, neither was Regulus.

"It's nice having free period right before dinner."

Rose said, snuggly cuddled up with Reg(who had long ago abandoned the book he was attempting to read), her head resting gently on his chest. All they'd done since she arrived was lay there together and yet she could hear his heart beating erratically.

"It is." He said rather timidly.

The room was dark, the scent of fire from nearby candles filled the space, and a record played softly from the other side of the room, classical music came together with waves splashing against the window and created a lullaby of sorts.

"May I take your hair down?" She asked, one hand already playing with the curls that had come loose.

He hummed a response, eyes closed.

She pulled gently at his hair, first unbraiding a bit that connected to the back, then removing the black silken ribbon that kept his hair tied behind his head, it feel just below his chin, dark curls scented like black tea and mint from a garden.

"I didn't expect you to drink or smoke or, do anything like that really." She said, running her hands through his hair, he opened his eyes then, light grey irises flickered up at her filled with wistfulness.

"The more time you spend with me you'll find I do rather often." He said plainly.

"Reg..."

"Regulus" he responded, sterner.

He did not want pity from her.

"Regulus." She corrected, placing a hand on his stomach.

"May I look at your tattoo?" She asked, fingers clutching his shirt waiting for a response.

He nodded, and she untucked the fabric, displaying the little black "R" she'd tattooed onto his abdomen.

"Would you mind if I rested my head here?" She asked, a flustered look replaced the stoney expression that shown on his features

"No, I wouldn't mind. That's— sure." He said, voice cracking and pitch heightening ever so slightly.

Rose giggled and laid her head gently near the spot, he squirmed a little at the contact and she quickly covered the exposed skin with his shirt again, face warm and pink from embarrassment.

"Sorry, Reggie." She said, squeezing her eyes shut, but holding him tightly.

When Rose exited the dorm and entered the Slytherin common room she was greeted by the familiar crackles of fire and brilliant hues of a dark emerald green that filled it. Some chatter bounced around the space, but it was relatively quiet.

It took only a moment for Rose to notice someone who didn't belong there.

James Potter sitting in a jewel toned chair, legs propped up dapperly, the Marauders Map and a wand laying haphazardly across his lap.

His eyes met hers from beneath his glasses, his face had not changed, it remained self-assured.

"I have so many questions." He said, a small shake to his head.

Rose froze there for a moment, and watched the steps dance across the map in his lap.

"Can we uh...talk it over some butterbeers? Bottle of fire whiskey maybe?" She asked apprehensively, James stood, grabbing the map and wand as he did so.

"Sure, Rosie. Follow me."