When It Is Forbidden

By meeko228

Imagine having so many rules you have to follow, it's hard to keep track of. Imagine being ranked lower than... More

When It Is Forbidden
chapter 2
chapter 3
chapter 4
chapter 5
chapter 7
chapter 8
chapter 9
chapter 10
chapter 11
chapter 12
chapter 13
chapter 14
Epilogue
Author's Note

chapter 6

955 19 2
By meeko228

            The next day, I woke up a few hours before Mother and Father wake up, hopefully before too many people were awake.  Instead of putting on my burqa, I took a pair of clothes that Rafi had out grown and slipped them on.  Next, I selected a hat from the assortment I had found left behind in his room.  I chose the black, common hat, floppy enough to pull down so that my face was hidden.  Just as I was about to creep out my door, I remembered something-shoes!  There was no way I could fit into any of Rafi’s shoes and either way, I hadn’t seen any left in his closet.  I sighed.  Well, today would be the start of my days as a beggar boy.

            Making it down the stairs as silently as possible, I creaked open the door, willing to be quieter.  Then I stepped outside for the first time in months.  For a moment I just stood there, breathing it all in.  How wonderful it felt to be breathing fresh air again!  I began lifting my face up towards the sky, but then quickly remembered: I can’t let anyone know that I’m a girl.

            I began strutting along, feeling so independent, the most I had in years.  Yes, it was the first time in years when I was able to feel independent.  Then quickly looking down at my ragged clothes, my thoughts went to the fact that I shouldn’t be here.  No, I was beyond thinking about how a girl shouldn’t be here, I was thinking about how a peasant boy shouldn’t be here.  They belonged in back-ways and alleys.  So, that was where I went.  I didn’t want to, I knew it could be dangerous, but I didn’t want to arouse any unneeded suspicions.  Sure, almost no one was out at this time, but as Rafi would have said, “You never know.”

            Finding a nice long alley way, I began to pace back and forth.  First I was walking and then faster, and faster, until I was sprinting more quickly than I ever had before.  I had no idea how much energy I had had stored up inside me for all those long months of sitting around.  It felt…so good.  Soon I found myself collapsed on the stone alley, back against a building, breathing hard.  I began laughing, thinking about how wonderful this was going to be, sneaking out every morning…

            “Hello.”

            I instantly jumped to my feet, my hand instinctively pulling my cap down lower.  A boy emerged out of a pile of moldy boxes and broken buckets.

            “Don’t hear very much laughter in these parts too much anymore.  Where are you from?  You’re a real fast runener.”

            I couldn’t see his face yet, he was still partly in the shadow of the building across from me.  I pressed my back even harder against the building behind me, trying to shrink.  I didn’t say anything.

            “Hey, dude, I’m not gonna hurt you.  How old are ya?”

            I still wouldn’t say anything.  I was scared out of my wits.  My tounge was dry and twisted.  I couldn’t even muster up a fake voice.  But then, knowing he was probably getting suspicious, I used every ounce of courage left in me to speak.

            “That’s not your business,” I whispered, barely audible.

            “You sound really young, but you’re too tall for your voice.”

            OK, this guy was officially getting into too much of my business.

            “Ummm,” I stammered, trying to come up with an alibi.  I had none.

            Then the boy leaped out of the shadows and grabbed my cap before I could do anything.  There was a long pause while I held my breath and he just stared.

            “You’re a girl,”  He said, awe and surprise filling his voice. 

            Snap, busted.

Continue Reading