Stop Being Human

By Writer_Kaylee

After an unfortunate mix up with a college acceptance package, Reighlynn Fritz is transported to a new world... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Acknowledgment

Chapter 29

29 1 0
By Writer_Kaylee

I slowly turn back around because I have to. The spotlight is on me. Everyone can see me. Even Chancellor Niam looks shocked. Axel and Melody are staring in disbelief. No one knows what is going on. I don't even know what is going on!

"Alright..." Niam says uneasily, "Why don't you come join us, Reighlynn?"

All eyes are on me as I embarrassingly make my way to the front. I hold my purse tight in front of me and keep my head down. At the stairs, Brandon holds out his hand. I want to reject him, swat his hand away, but everyone is watching. I am forced to take his hand and let him help me.

This is humiliating. I have to stand next to my ex in front of almost the entire college body. There's at least an inch between us. We look nothing like the adorable couple that Melody and Axel are.

"Well then students, let the dance begin and enjoy the rest of your night!" Chancellor Niam excuses himself and a slow song starts up again. Everyone on the floor grabs a partner and starts dancing. Which leaves us up on this stage to dance.

Brandon grabs my hand and forces me to dance with him. "What are you doing?" I mumble angrily.

"I wanted to talk to you." He replies, pulling my hands so they are around his neck. I hate the feeling of his warm hands on my hips. I hate how my heart skips a beat every time I look at him. Brandon always knows how to dress up nice for occasions like this. He and I haven't been this close since the breakup.

I've wanted to talk to him for days, but then I remember how he left me in the pouring rain. The pieces of my heart at my feet.

"Of all places, this is how you wanted to talk to me!" I keep my voice low, but I am aggravated. "Anywhere but here, I would have talked to you."

Brandon doesn't believe me. "Are you sure about that?" I look to the side instead. I catch a glance of Melody and Axel. They look so happy. Melody is leaning her head on Axel's shoulder. Then they slowly dance to the music. "There's been a lot of things I have wanted to say to you. I know you too well Rei, you'd avoid me. This was my only shot."

"So if you didn't want to talk to me, I wouldn't have been the girl you picked. Of course." My attitude slips from my mouth before I can stop it. My heart and my brain are in an argument. One wants to fall in love all over again and the other wants to "accidentally" step on his toes with my heels until they bleed.

"Rei it's not-" He takes a deep breath, "I'm sorry. I've been meaning to tell you that since the day I walked away from you."

I give him my best sarcastic wow facial expression. Sorry? That's what he needed to tell me, as if the one word will bandage the pieces of my heart back together. I feel guilty for being so sour, but I am just a mix of different emotions.

He ignores my reaction. "Then I saw you tonight and how all these guys wanted you. You've been dancing with friends and I wanted you to be dancing with me." Brandon rotates, pulling me with him so we can slowly turn. He grabs one of my hands from his neck and spins me around. If he spins me too much, I might just vomit up all the drinks I have had.

After the spin, I adjust my top. Without straps, I am always worried that the dress will fall, even though I highly doubt it's ever happened. "Those boys just want to be seen dancing with a pretty lady. They don't like me for anything else other than my looks."

"But not me." Brandon pulls me into his chest. There is an inch between us, and his hot breath hits the tip of my nose. He's looking at my lips and thinking the same thing that I am.

"Brandon... I can't. We are not together anymore, remember?" He is so tempting, being this close. I want to but later on when we go back to being exes, my heart will just shatter once again.

Brandon places a hot hand on my cheek. I can't help but lean into the familiar feeling. You bastard. "Please... Rei." His thumb traces lines of my skin.

"I-"

I don't get to finish my sentence. His lips are on mine. I forgot how warm and comforting it is to be in his embrace. The music slowly fades and it is only Brandon and I. His hands wrap around onto my back, one touching my bare skin. I've been sweating this entire time and his warm skin does not help, but I don't think about it. I think about his soft hair on my fingertips. The silky feeling of his suit as I run my hands over his shoulder.

Someone clears their throat near us and the universe fades back. I expected it to be Melody or Axel, and I wish it was. Instead, we are greeted by Harmony. I shouldn't be surprised. She's probably been fuming since I came up here.

"There is something extremely important that you need to know, Brandon." Harmony states. I have to admit, she looks good tonight. The silk black dress she has on is stunning and, for once, it actually covers her butt.

Brandon rolls his eyes. "You never take no for an answer, do you?"

Harmony twitches with irritation but pushes it away. "This isn't about me. Rei here has a secret she's been keeping from everyone, especially you, Brandon."

Brandon eyeballs Harmony suspiciously, then looks at me. Here we go again. Is it another kissing photo? A rumor she made up but wants to say she is just 'looking out for him'?

"Should I tell them or you... Rei?" She steps closer as if to appear more intimidating.

"I have no idea what you're talking about."

Harmony doesn't hesitate, and she snatches my necklace. The chain breaks from her forceful pull. My senses couldn't even react this time.

I gasp and my hand flies to my now empty chest. She grabbed my magic source to blend in. How could she know?

Everything happens so fast. Suddenly, the music isn't as loud as I remember. My sight isn't strong and the soft lights cause my eyes to burn. I forgot this feeling... the feeling of being normal. Being human. Past the ringing noise, I hear Melody scream my name.

"She's a mortal." Harmony states, dangling my necklace from her evil palm.

Melody uses her body as a shield from the entire crowd on the floor below. Axel is behind her to help, but I see the confusion on his face. I'm frozen in a panicked state. Nothing is moving at a normal speed. Everything seems slow.

Harmony continues, "I knew something was wrong with her. The life story that never added up. Living in a different town yet never gave the name. The odd sayings and the fact that this necklace never went out of sight. You even told Brandon's mom how 'important' it is to you. I figured it out pretty quick." She turns to Brandon, who has been staring at me this entire time. He's looking at the real me and he is emotionless. The slightest of regret flashes on his face. I want to reach out and touch him, but he feels so far away.

"Oh, and of course, your roommate here is the one who has been covering up for you. You both are in huge trouble now." The smirk on her face says it all. She looks past me and I see the large, familiar man with sunglasses coming through the wings of the stage. There is another man coming from behind me. "You're an intruder, Rei. If that even is your name."

Brandon looks me in the eye and then turns his back on me. He disappears into the curtains. The pain in my heart is as bad as the first time he broke my heart. Now, I can only watch him walk away from me once again.

"We've got to go, Rei!" Melody tugs on my arm. The men are getting closer and Harmony just watches, impressed by herself. I should have seen this coming. I should have caught on, but she always finds a way to ruin everything. It's her favorite thing to do.

Melody drags me towards the stairs before the men get to me first. I snatch the necklace back from Harmony before taking off.

Melody and I push through the back doors and out into the chilly night. Axel, who followed us, gave me his suit jacket to cover my identity. He doesn't ask any questions.

The doors behind us fly open again and the two men that are out to get me walk through. I stare at Melody, petrified. If they catch us, what are they going to do? More specifically, what will happen to Melody (and now Axel) for helping me?

Melody searches through her purse and pulls out her wand. She never goes anywhere without it and at this moment, I am very thankful.

She quickly points her wand out and a portal forms. On the other side, I can tell it's our dorm room. "Go!" Melody pulls me forward and lets me jump through first. I turn around and watch her and Axel jump through after me. She closes the portal just before those men can get to it.

Melody looks at me and her face drops. I already know what has to be done. "No..." I'm not ready. I don't want to go back. It all falls onto my shoulders like heavy boulders. Melody grabs me and pulls me into a hug. I can feel her hair on my human ear and it is the weirdest feeling. I haven't taken my necklace off in ages.

She pulls back, leaving her hands on my shoulders. "It's only a matter of time until they get here and find us. Make sure the door is locked. We have to do this now. Rei, I'm so sorry, but I will not let them take you. Let alone get hurt." Axel nods and heads for the door. I hold my head down in grief. We worked so hard to get the ingredients, to make this permanent, and Harmony just ripped that from me. My life here is crumbling in front of me at the hands of that stupid siren.

Melody grabs some of her books from her shelves and I stand glued to the floor, and the tears slowly roll down my cheeks. "Come, lie on the floor..." Melody lightly places her hand on my shoulder.

I feel frozen again. Grief has me by the throat and is waiting for me to take my last breath. The numbness is so strong I barely feel the carpet on my bare back. Luckily, I still feel Axel grab my hand. I gradually guide my eyes to look at him. He gives me a soft smile and wipes away my tears.

Next to me, Melody sits on her knees with three books up in front of her. She flips through them all, scanning the pages through tear-filled eyes. Finally, Axel asks so I don't have to, "What are you trying to do?"

Melody snaps out of her concentration. "We have to wipe her memory." The sentence leaves her mouth casually. I squeeze Axel's hand and my heartbeat speeds up.

She can't do that. "Don't!" I quickly say, but Melody just looks at me. "Please... You guys are all I've had. I don't want to lose the memories we all made. The friendships. I'll never have something like this again. Please."

Melody and Axel exchange glances. "They could come after you if they know you still remember. If I send you back now, it could cause fewer consequences." Obviously, Melody is scared and I don't blame her. If she thinks sending me back could cover their asses, then so be it. I don't want to leave, but I want to protect Melody.

These past few months have been the best I have had in over a year. For once, I didn't feel alone and friendless. Here I made a new family. I can't lose this happiness I have got to experience. Not again.

"Then you wiped my memory. Tell them you did. Please." I desperately look at Axel for assistance.

Axel rubs his thumb over the back of my hand. "Melody wiped your memory. Rei doesn't remember anything." He looks at Melody and gives her a nod. I close my eyes and deeply inhale. Thank you Axel.

Melody closes her books and re-adjusts her sitting position. Her wand hovers above my chest, and she places her other hand on my head. Her wand wobbles in her palm from her shaky hands. She is terrified, but she's more powerful than she thinks. As much as I don't want this, I know she can do the spell. "Think about your apartment and your apartment only."

I imagine my apartment that I, unfortunately, still remember. The old furniture in my small living room that looked as if a cat had got ahold of it. My desk in the corner that's always a mess, filled with my fashion drawings. My kitchen cabinets that are more empty than full. I imagine my messy closet because I never had the motivation to organize it.

I feel Melody's fingers heat up against my temple. "You were the best roommate..."

It's the last thing I hear before the floor beneath me vanishes and I fall.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.9K 1.1K 27
"𝒔𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒕𝒐𝒐𝒌 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒊𝒓 𝒃𝒊𝒕𝒄𝒉 𝒑𝒊𝒍𝒍𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒎𝒐𝒓𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒈." Dylan goes from running with one sketchy crowd to another. She c...
143 25 27
A girl's father dies and she mourns for him. When her mother starts dating again, the man clearly isn't human, but only she can see his face. She tri...
46.1K 1.5K 11
When darkness calls, she cannot answer... Isolated and alone, Halen Windspeare is in over her head. Sacrificing her soul to save the realms, she must...
128K 3.4K 26
Flora's supernatural adventure continues after her return from Europe • Book 2 • Season 3A & 3B of MTV's hit show Teen Wolf • I don't own Teen Wolf...