SONDER. | Short Series

By 90samourdaay

"Sonder - noun. the realization that each random passerby is living a life as vivid and complex as your own... More

i | Sonder ❦ (prelude)
ii | Sonder ❦ (1)
iii | Sonder ❦ (2)
iv | Sonder ❦ (3)
vi | Sonder ❦ (5) 1/2
vii | Sonder ❦ (5) 2/2
viii | Sonder ❦ (6) 1/2
ix | Sonder ❦ (6) 2/2
x | Sonder ❦ (7)
xi | Sonder ❦ (8)
xii | Sonder ❦ (9) 1/2
xiii | Sonder ❦ (9) 2/2
xiv | Sonder ❦ (10) 1/2
xv | Sonder ❦ (10) 2/2
xvi | Sonder ❦ (11)
xvii | Sonder ❦ (12) 1/2
xviii | Sonder ❦ (12) 2/2
xix | Sonder ❦ (13)
xx | Sonder ❦ (14) 1/2
xxi | Sonder ❦ (14) 2/2
xxii | Sonder ❦ (15)
xxiii | Sonder ❦ (16)
xxiv | Sonder ❦ (17)
Question

v | Sonder ❦ (4)

4.1K 350 192
By 90samourdaay

Please ignore any and all mistakes.
————————————————

— POPULAR LONER —

I don't know, like
I just don't, I don't get people
I'ont fuck with nobody, I'ont get around nobody
I just like being dolo, you know?
People, I don't know, I just don't understand them
Or maybe it's they don't understand me
Weight of the world on your shoulders and your feeling all alone
You got it, my nigga, just hold on
Thug life ain't dead, I'ma be this way, until they kill me
'Til then, I'ma make these niggas feel me
My nigga it's a wild, wild lifestyle
A wild, wild lifestyle
I don't get along with my peers, I'm at war with myself
So fuck you, and everybody else
•••••

"Ace I swear to God I had your money man, but those niggas from the south ridas ran up on me before I could call you and robbed me."

Amiré stared him down, trying his hardest to control his temper. "So you were by yourself when they ran up on you Ron? There's nobody else that can back up your story?"

"Yeah man just me." Ron nodded quickly, trying his hardest to escape this situation. "Come on Ace you know me, I would never do some snake shit like that to you."

Amiré just chuckled, using the gun barrel to scatch his head. Ron was one of his corner boys, but he was the most inconsistent one. Always causing problems for Amiré and always somehow involved in some money missing.

Amiré stepped to him, watching as he started shaking out of fear. He looked him up and down in disgust. "I'm starting to think you think I'm stupid Ron."

"N-no man I promise I don't Ace, I would never do no foul shit like that. I seriously just been getting caught up a lot, I ain't got no luck out here man." Ron frowned, lifting his hands up to show he wasn't putting up any fight.

"No you been getting caught up since I fucking met yo dumb ass." Amiré hissed, pressing his gun to Ron's chin. Ron instantly tensed up and started whimpering, squeezing his eyes closed.

"Ace I'm sorry! I swear I'm loyal to you man!"

"Look into my eyes nigga!" Amiré shouted, and Ron opened his eyes trying not to cry. "I should kill yo dumb ass right now, do us both a favor."

"Please Ace, I'm sorry. I'ma get you all your money man, I swear on my life." He cried, begging for his life.

"You been swearing on yo life a lot Ron." Amiré laughed, pressing his gun against his chin harder. "Are you afraid to die?" He asked, staring into his eyes.

"Y-yes." He answered honesty, blinking away his tears. "Look m-man I have a family to t-take care of. D-don't do this please. T-this ain't you man, I know you. You d-don't kill people."

Amiré snorted loudly. "I-I d-don't k-kill people?" He mocked his stuttering before pulling away and slapping him with the gun, watching as he hit the ground. Ron groaned in pain and held onto his face.

"You don't fucking know me!" He yelled, bending over to get a good look at him. "I'm not afraid of death Ron, that shit stares me in my face every time I look in the fucking mirror. I will kill you and show up to your funeral crying like I just lost my homie."

"Please man please," Ron cried, covering his face. "I'll get you all your money."

"It's not just my money nigga! That's what you keep forgetting." Amiré yelled angrily, kicking him in his stomach twice. Both blows hit Ron so hard he started coughing up blood. "You work for me and I work for somebody else. If I don't kill you, best believe he fucking will! Now I been nice time and time again and I let yo goofy ass slide. What did I tell you last time we spoke Ron?"

He cried out in pain, holding onto his stomach. "Y-you s-said if I-I showed up without y-your money m-my family wasn't gone ever s-see me again."

"I told you and you ain't listen, I'm very disappointed." Amiré shook his head, sighing. He backed up from Ron and pointed his gun directly at his head. "I never wanna hurt people, but somehow it always comes down to me and somebody's life. I really tried to give you the benefit of the doubt man, you had potential. But ultimately you are bad for business Ron."

"Please Ace don't do this! Just give me one more chance!" Tears poured down his face as he begged, lifting his head to look at him.

Amiré just sighed and took the safety off, placing his finger on the trigger. "Close your eyes Ron."

"Ace please!"

"Close your fucking eyes I said!" He shouted, stepping closer. Ron squeezed his eyes shut, crying his heart out. He knew he was about to die, and he wasn't ready. All he could do was say a prayer.

"The lord is my shepherd..."

Amiré inhaled and exhaled, closing his eyes as well. He tried tuning Ron out as he prepared to press his finger down on the trigger. It never got easy to take a life.

His broken heart, whatever that was left of it, was screaming weakly at him not to kill him. His soul was too lost to even care he was collecting yet another body. His mind was blinded by the darkness.

After he lost his mother, Amiré really found himself stumbling down a dark path, uncovering the most darkest parts of himself.

He lived a double life.

Amiré found himself attending college and preparing to graduate while also distributing drugs around the city, working directly under a street king named Antwan who ran the Black Kingsmen.

If you looked at him you'd never guess this. That's how good he was at hiding this part of himself.

In the streets he was Ace.

For about 2 years he's had this role. His job was to make sure all his corner boys were moving the weight Antwan provided him, and then everybody got their cut. Amiré liked the fast money, not to mention he was actually good at it.

If he ever missed a deadline, he'd likely end up like Ron and replaced by another.

The sound of his phone ringing in his pocket forced his eyes open, and his eyebrows furrowed together in confusion. His phone was on do not disturb so clearly whoever calling him, had to have called more than once to get through.

He sucked his teeth in annoyance and lowered his gun. "Be thankful Ron, you get to stay alive for a few more minutes." He mumbled, pulling his phone out of his pocket. His eyes scanned the number before cursing under his breathe.

+1 (512) 124 - 3456
Maybe: Taivon Bradley

He totally forgot he told Taivon he would go bowling tonight.

Sliding to answer, he quickly pressed the phone to his ear. "Wassup?"

"Wassup? Unh uh Mr. Smarty Pants I texted you that we were heading out almost 45 minutes ago and you still aren't here, don't tell me you were about to stand me up?" Taivon joked, but he could clearly hear the attitude laced in her voice.

He eyed down Ron, growing angry as he realized killing him right now wouldn't be the best idea. There was no way he could get rid of his body and make it to bowling. He normally would just cancel, but he didn't want to burn the bridge with Taivon yet.

He sighed and let his head fall back. "My bad I was taking a nap and completely lost track of time." He lied easily. "I'll be there in 20."

"You don't have to come if you don't want too Amiré." She reassured him.

He smacked his lips. "I said I'll see you in 20 woman. Get me a size 12, I'll give you the money back."

"Mhm okay whatever you say. I'll see you in 20." She chuckled, hanging up.

After making sure she was off the phone, he slide it back into his pocket and shook his head. "Today's your lucky fucking day Ron."

Ron slowly lifted his head, confused. Ten seconds ago he was sure he was as good as dead. "H-how?"

"I'm going to give you 48 hours to have all my fucking money plus 10 percent for all my troubles or I'ma kill your baby momma too." Amiré threatened, staring him dead in the eyes to show he was serious. "And you gone get this money by finding those niggas that robbed yo goofy ass."

Ron nodded his head quickly, just relieved his life was being spared yet again. "Y-yes sir I swear ima have it! I'ma get it back in blood!"

"Yeah well if you don't, yo daughter gone grow up without her parents." He spat, pointing his gun at him again. "Now get the fuck out of my face. Ain't nobody gone be able to save you next time."

Ron didn't think twice as he got up as fast as he could, holding onto his stomach as he ran away. Amiré watched until he disappeared before looking around at his dark surroundings. He always handled his business under this abandoned bridge.

"I swear that nigga got nine lives." He mumbled under his breathe, before checking out his appearance. He ain't have time to make it home, so this would do.
After putting the safety back on, he tucked his gun under his waistband and headed to his car. He'd finish dealing with Ron later.

Deep down he hoped he would have the money so he didn't have to kill anybody. But he also knew he would hold onto his promise.

•••••

Amiré checked himself out one more time before he entered the Westgate Lames bowling alley. Omg by Baby Smoove played loudly while the sound of balls hitting pins echoed off the walls. He paused by the entrance and slowly scanned the room, noticing it was filled with mostly college students. He spotted two of his corner boys by the arcade, likely taking care of business.

It was a Friday and Westgate was one of the most popular spots in the city so he wasn't surprised. As long as they was making his money and being smart about it, he didn't give a fuck where they sold.

"Mhm boy you know you fine." A girl whistled beside him, forcing him to look in her direction.

He looked her up and down before smirking, sending her a nod. "Preciate it ma."

She mirrored his smirk, crossing her arms under her breasts. "I saw you earlier in the commons and said to myself, damn I ain't never seen him before. Tell me something, what's your name and where the hell did yo fine ass come from?"

He laughed and shook his head. "That's a lot of information and I don't know you well enough to disclose that ma."

Her eyes roamed his body from head to toe before meeting his eyes again. "You can get to know me." She winked.

He opened his mouth to respond but was cut off by Taivon walking over and standing in front of the girl with her hands on her hips. "Oh so now you decide to show up?"

He closed his mouth and let his eyes drop down her body, quickly remembering why he was here in the first place. He bit his bottom lip to keep from smirking, meeting her eyes. "Detective Taivon, I see you found me."

The girl behind her scoffed and stepped from behind her. "Damn Tee I know you saw us talking."

Taivon made a face and turned to her, "Yeah I saw and clearly I ain't care so move along Star, my friend ain't interested in yo ran down ass."

Amiré's eyes widened in shock, watching as the girl he learned to be Star gasped before storming away embarrassed.

"That thirsty ass girl don't fucking stop," Taivon rolled her eyes, turning back to Amiré. "Come on we're playing on the other side."

"Wait a minute we not about to skip over that," He laughed, pointing in the direction Sky ran. "What's the story there?"

Taivon simply smirked and titled her head at him. "I thought I was the detective?"

He just chuckled and threw his hands up in surrender. "We'll damn iight. Show me the way Ms. Detective."

"That's what I thought." She joked, walking past him to the other side of the building and he followed closely behind her.

Along the way he met eyes with one of his favorite corner boys Carlito, sending him a simple nod and smirk. Carlito just smirked back and saluted him before going on about his business.

His eyes fell back on Taivon and he couldn't help but check her out fully now, fucking with the way she dressed. She had on a orange Yankees hat, ripped boyfriend jeans, an oversized Nirvana shirt, finished with a pair of orange dunks low. She was definitely the kind of girl that could switch it up.

He then remembered where they were. "Wait why you ain't got on bowling shoes?"

She looked back at him with a smile. "We were waiting on yo slow ass."

"Aye chill out." He chuckled. "It's a miracle I'm even here."

Which was true.

"Yeah whatever." She waved him off, walking over to the section where Nia and her friend Vino were sitting.

He let his eyes fall to the back of the head of someone he least expected to see. He paused and raised his eyebrow. "Valentino?"

Vino quickly turned around at the sound of the familiar voice and saw it was him. His eyes widened in shock and he smiled widely. "I know damn well that ain't my nigga Amiré?!"

Valentino "Vino" Wright

"In the flesh." Amiré smirked.

Vino walked past the girls and lifted his hand to shake up. "I can't believe this shit yo, I never thought I'd see yo lil mean ass again."

Amiré just laughed and quickly shook up with him, before pushing him away playfully. "Shut up nigga. Damn this a small ass world, I ain't seen you in a while. How you been?"

"Man I'm better now."

Taivon and Nia looked at each other confused, wondering what the hell was going on, and how the hell they knew each other.

Vino and Amiré continued to catch up, forgetting the two young women watching them like hawks.

"How'd you meet Amiré again?" Nia questioned quietly, watching their interaction.

"Parking lot, he was just sitting there. I needed to use his phone and from there he took me home. Why what are you thinking?" Taivon wondered, side eyeing her friend.

"Look I don't wanna assume nothing but knowing Vino and what he does— there's only a few reasons him and Amiré can be this cool with each other."

Taivon's eyes widened at what she was hinting at, before looking back at Amiré. He didn't give off that vibe at all. "No way." She frowned.

Vino was a well known street nigga, running with the 83rd Killaz. Nia always had a thing for thugs, so Taivon was never surprised with who her friend chilled with. That didn't mean Amiré was involved in the gang life. There had to be another reason.

Like he could read their wandering minds, Vino turned around and wrapped his arm around Amiré shoulder. "Y'all this dead ass a small world. Amiré here is my cousin, on my mommas side."

Taivon visibility relaxed, replacing her frown with a smile. She did not want any parts of that thug life, Rashad was close enough and you see how well that turned out.

"Wow that's crazy." She laughed, turning to Nia who was still eyeing them suspiciously. She could see that they were related but there was still something about Amiré she couldn't quite put her finger on.

What college nigga you know walks around with a 15 thousand dollar watch?

"Yeah that's crazy." Nia agreed, walking over to them. "Hello Amiré I'm Nia, Tee's best friend and Vino's future baby momma. Nice to officially meet you." She smiled, lifting her hand.

Vino began choking on his own spit. "Woah my future what?!"

Amiré just laughed and shook her hand. "Nice to meet you Nia."

Taivon playfully rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. "Great we had a family reunion and now everyone is acquainted. Are we gonna finally bowl? I didn't get dragged out the house for no reason."

Nia turned around to mug her. "Don't pretend you actually wanna bowl Bitch, you're only here because I'm feeding you."

"True." She nodded, shrugging her shoulders. "Speaking of let's go put that wing order in." She cheesed and rushed over to grab Nia's hand, pulling her away.

Vino chuckled and watched them disappear into the crowd before turning back to Amiré. "It's been 4 years cuz, it's good to see you man. What you been up too?"

"I been chilling." Amiré chuckled, shrugging his shoulders. "What about you?"

"Shit ya know me." Vino smirked, swinging his arms a little. "I been taking over like I always said I would."

"Yeah I'd be lying if I said I haven't heard a few things here and there." Amiré admitted, mirroring his smirk. "I'm proud of you Killa." He teased, pushing at his shoulder.

Vino snorted and waved him off. "Bye. If you heard about me, why you ain't ever reach out? Last time we saw each other was in Atlanta when we—"

"—when we robbed that store." Amiré finished for him, nodding his head as the memory flooded his mind. "Yeah man I remember, a lots changed since then."

"Hell yeah." Vino nodded in agreement. "How the hell did you end up in Austin?"

"I've always liked Texas," He sighed. "When I got accepted to the school here I knew it was my next move. My momma always wanted me to attend college so here I am."

Vino eyed his cousin, trying to read him. "That's commendable but I'm curious—you said you heard about me? How?"

Amiré searched his eyes, wondering if he should disclose who he was. It was likely Vino heard his street name before, but no one knew Ace and Amiré was the same person.

"I'm sure you've always wanted to meet the man whose name puts fear in these niggas hearts." He smirked softly.

Vino'a face scrunched up in confusion. "What?"

Amiré rolled his eyes. "Think nigga."

Vino continued to stare at him, thinking hard before it hit him. Amiré's smirk returned as he watched his cousins eyes widen.

"No way. Y-you're Ace?" Vino whispered, not wanting anyone else to hear him.

He spread his arms out. "In the flesh."

"Damn." Vino breathed out in disbelief. "I always thought that nigga was a ghost the way I never saw him, whole time it's yo ass! These niggas out here calling you the grim reaper."

"Yeah well as I said before, a lots changed."

"I see." Vino whistled. "These niggas fear me too but man the stories I done heard about you nigga? You're ruthless."

"I adapted to my environment." He shrugged, noticing the girls coming back out of the corner of his eye. "We'll talk more later though, make sure we exchange numbers before we leave."

Vino noticed the girls as well, nodding his head. "Fasho. Let me prepare to whoop yo ass in bowling like I did when we was kids." He spoke loudly on purpose, so the girls could hear.

"That's what I like to hear Vino! We're playing in teams!" Nia yelled, making both  Amiré and Taivon smack their lips as they appeared in front of them.

"Don't underestimate us." Taivon mugged them, standing beside Amiré.

Amiré chuckled and looked down at her. "Don't worry the best champions come from the underestimated."

"You right." She smirked, meeting his eyes. "Let's kick their asses Mr. Smarty pants."

Nia waved them off. "Blah blah I hear too much talking! Let's just play."

•••••

After 3 games of pure competitive fun, the group of friends had enough and decided it was time to leave. Now, Amiré and Taivon were walking behind Vino and Nia as they headed to the parking lot.

"Did you have fun?" Taivon asked Amiré, stuffing her hand in her pockets. She caught herself staring at his side profile, enjoying the way his skin glowed.

He kept his eyes ahead to observe their surroundings before turning to look down at her. "Yeah I did actually, did you have fun?"

"Mhm hmm." She nodded, biting her lip to keep from smiling too hard. "Winning topped it off." She joked.

He laughed, nodding his head. "Definitely. I almost forgot how big of a sore loser Vino was, him and Nia are a perfect sore losing duo."

Taivon stopped walking and started cracking up. "I swear to God they are!"

"We can hear y'all!" Nia yelled, flipping them off. Vino turned around and flipped them off as well.

"Don't worry we gone get they asses next time."

Amiré smirked and flipped him back off. "That's what sore losers always say."

Taivon giggled and pushed him playfully. "Leave them alone, don't rub salt on the wound."

He smacked his lips and looked her up and down. "Not you showing mercy. We don't do that."

"We?" She questioned with a smile, crossing her arms as she stared up at him. "You don't do that sir. My sister taught me to stay humble, cause you can lose at any point in your life."

He couldn't help but mirror her smile, it was beautiful. "That's some good advice. Hold onto it."

They just stood in the middle of the parking lot, staring into each other eyes. They completely forgot about Nia and Vino, who were at Vino's car waiting for Tee.

"You coming or what Tee? Niggas got places to be." Vino joked forcing Taivon to break their eye contact and look in their direction. She opened her mouth to answer but was cut off.

"Y'all go ahead Vino, I'll make sure she gets home safely." Amiré answered for her, keeping his eyes on her.

"Alright we'll see y'all!" Vino said, getting inside his car.

"I love you Tee Tee! Make sure you call me when you make it home." Nia yelled before getting in behind him.

Taivon watched as they drove off before meeting his eyes again, raising her eyebrow at him. "Oh really? You just decided you was getting me home safely?"

"Depends," He smirked softly. "Are you still investigating me Detective Taivon?"

The way her name rolled off his tongue, sent chills down her spine. She just searched his eyes, seeing right through him. The darkness was still there, but this time it was clouded by something else.

Lust.

Something she was all too familiar with.

Deciding to pull a him, she stepped closer to him and crossed her arms. Their faces were inches a part. "Do you want me to keep investigating you Amiré?"

This confused him.

"I really don't know." He answered honestly, his tone soft. "You might not like what you learn."

Her eyebrows furrowed together in confusion, noticing the sadness appear in his eyes. "Why not?" She questioned, matching his soft tone.

She could tell he wanted to say something, his eyes literally screamed it. But he didn't, all he did was walk around her and head to his car.

"Let's go detective it's getting late. Bad things happen after dark."

She just sucked her teeth in annoyance, having a feeling his stubbornness might just be her 13th reason why. Taivon usually wouldn't care, but she couldn't help herself.

When people see signs that say don't enter, they usually walk away and never look back. Not her though. She wanted to see what was so bad that she shouldn't enter.

Amiré was one big walking do not enter sign.

Whatever behind his door couldn't be that bad... right?

•••••

Chapter 4.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.2K 318 26
❝𝒀𝒐𝒖 𝒍𝒐𝒗𝒆 𝒔𝒂𝒚𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒏𝒂𝒎𝒆 𝒉𝒎𝒎? 𝑰'𝒎 𝒈𝒐𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒐 𝒇𝒖𝒄𝒌 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒔𝒐 𝒉𝒂𝒓𝒅, 𝒎𝒚 𝒏𝒂𝒎𝒆 𝒊𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒐𝒏𝒍𝒚 𝒕𝒉𝒊�...
SONDER By kenophobic

Teen Fiction

134K 8.2K 42
❝THE REALIZATION THAT EACH RANDOM PASSERBY IS LIVING A LIFE AS VIVID AND COMPLEX AS YOUR OWN.❞
21.2K 1.9K 31
𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘨𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘴𝘵 𝘴𝘶𝘤𝘤𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘮𝘰𝘴𝘵 𝘯𝘪𝘨𝘨𝘢𝘴 𝘧𝘰𝘭𝘥, 𝘪 𝘵𝘦𝘭𝘭 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘮𝘺 𝘱𝘢𝘴𝘵, 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘴𝘩𝘪𝘵 𝘥𝘰�...
149K 2.5K 35
❝I have to be dreaming.❞ * ˚ ✦ A fic of Netflix's the babysitter's club, and in this one you're in it too!! @-jadorekingwell [Completed] [Start Da...