Hunter

By MelyssaWhyte

As the leader of Knight Security and the handler of all four special operative teams, Hunter Hall's life revo... More

Author's Note
Before You Read - Warnings
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty One
Chapter Sixty Two
Chapter Sixty Three
Chapter Sixty Four
Chapter Sixty Five
Chapter Sixty Six
Epilogue

Chapter Thirty Six

57.5K 1.7K 288
By MelyssaWhyte

Kenzie ~

Kenzie felt lighter than she had in a long time, having told Hunter her secret. Every decision she had been forced to make in the past few years was out of survival and fear and she was final able to turn it over to more capable hands, ridding herself of the anxiety that accompanied it.

Hunter was the best at what he did and handled threats far more dangerous than her father. The only unknown left to deal with was Banks and whatever news he came to deliver.

Hunter parked his truck at Knight Security with the black sedan that Banks was driving already in the parking lot.

Feeling her pulse suddenly spike and her palms start to sweat, Kenzie took in a shaky breath as she tried to center herself.

"What if he tries to hug me like nothing happened?" She asked nervously.

"You want me to stop him?" Hunters voice was low and serious as he turned in his seat toward her.

"Yes." She said softly.

"Not a problem. Nobody touches you except me. Anything else?"

Kenzie considered his questions carefully, drawing her brows in as she ran through several scenarios.

"What if I can't forgive him?" She asked, looking up at Hunter, begging him for answers.

"Then you can't, but you have to hear what he has to say or the unknown will eat you alive. I'll be right there with you the whole time."

Knowing Hunter was right, Kenzie nodded and shifted her gaze to the parking lot where she saw several other cars that she hadn't noticed before.

"Is Lexi here?" She asked.

"Thought you might need some back up too."

His words brought a smile to Kenzie's face.

"That and she insisted...rather forcefully." Hunter said, scrolling through his texts with Declan.

That only made Kenzie's smile grow wider, knowing she had a large show of support.

"One more thing."

"Name it." Hunter said firmly.

"I want to be the one to tell the guys that I lied."

Her request was definitely not what Hunter expected judging by his furrowed brows and tilted head.

"You didn't lie Kenzie." He corrected her.

"A lie of omission is still a lie. And I want to own mine."

He eyed her carefully with some sort of internal dialogue running before he ultimately nodded and responded.

"Alright, but I can't guarantee how they will react. You okay with that?"

Nodding with slight hesitation before she fully committed, Kenzie locked eyes with Hunter as she spoke.

"I'm okay with that. Even if they hate me for it." 

"They could never hate you Kenz. And they won't fault you for doing what you had to in order to escape and survive. If anything they'll probably understand that more than most."

That's true. I hadn't thought about it like that.

Feeling a little more at ease and secure, Kenzie unlatched her seatbelt as they both climbed out of the car.

They walked together across the parking lot toward the garage with Hunter leading the way is if he'd already communicated a plan to every man at Knight Security. And he probably had done exactly that.

Banks was standing in the garage between Declan and Slater with Kincaid, Pierce and Marcus standing with the men Banks brought with him.

Caleb and Caroline stood near the door that led into the building as if they were guarding in with all eyes in Kenzie.

Their placement was intentional and each one of them knew their role explicitly. It didn't offer much privacy for such a personal conversation, but Kenzie understood why it was necessary.

The closer she got to Banks the more she focused on his face. It was so familiar, yet so foreign at the same time.

Her steps slowed, but Hunter kept one of his strong arms around her, sensing her hesitation immediately. Letting out a loud patterned whistle, Hunter turned his attention toward the door that Caleb and Caroline were guarding. Kenzie watched as Austin emerged with a wiggly Rottweiler bounding out toward them.

Kenzie lit up as soon as she saw Zeus and crouched down letting him lick her face. That sweet nugget of affection always made Kenzie feel a little happier, but Hunter issued a single command that changed everything about her sweet playful Zeus.

"Zeus - Watch." Hunter commanded firmly.

With those two words, all of the playful spirit drained from Zeus and he immediately placed his body next to Kenzies leg, staying a few steps ahead of her. Zeus wasn't wiggly or playful, he wasn't energetic or happy. He was on high alert and knew exactly who didn't belong in that garage.

As soon as his eyes settled on Banks and the other men, Zeus tensed, but waited on Hunters commands at Kenzie's side.

No one would be stupid enough to approach me with Zeus in front of me and Hunter behind me. Not even my brother.

But sure enough, Banks took a step forward, pleading with his eyes for Kenzie to talk to him.

"Back the fuck up." Hunter yelled as Zeus barked loudly in unison.

"You don't move a fucking muscle until she says so."

Banks was anxious to talk to Kenzie, it was written all over his face and his desperation could be felt by everyone in the room.

"She's my sister, Hall. It's not like I'm gonna hurt her."

"Like I give a shit. She makes the rules here. Not you. And she says, stay put." Hunters words were cold and lethal as he delivered them over Kenzie's head.

"Zeus Sit." Kenzie said, watching as Zeus' rear end met the ground instantly but his eyes were trained and focused on Banks.

Don't freak out Kenzie. Just breathe and talk to him. Ask him everything you want to know. Get it all out in the open.

"Why didn't you come for me?" She asked Banks, raising her chin as she tried to fake confidence and strength that she didn't feel.

"I couldn't Kenzie. It would have put you in danger."

"How?" She bit out.

Banks hesitated with pain in his eyes which meant whatever was about to come out of his mouth was going to be difficult to hear.

"I cut a deal with dad. I agreed not to in order to keep you safe."

Cut a deal with dad? Since when did you start cutting deals with the devil Banks? It was always just you and me...and you left me.

"What kind of deal? What on earth would make you think this was okay?" Kenzie asked, folding her arms across her chest.

Banks pushed out a breath and pinched the bridge of his nose before he finally answered her.

"He was...he was going to kill you Kenzie...because of what you took."

The words made Kenzie's blood run cold and she took a step backward, pressing her back against Hunters chest.

Hunter placed a hand on Kenzie's hip and stood firmly behind her, letting her know he was there for support but without intervening or distracting.

"I cut a deal with him. My life for yours. I agreed to serve under him without question if he agreed to let you live. And the only way to keep you away and out of his crosshairs was to stop giving you reasons to come home."

There was logic in his story, but Kenzie's heart wasn't interested in logic. She was hurt and couldn't see past it. Banks was her safe haven - her defender and in her eyes, he'd abandoned her.

"I died with you that day, Banks." She said as tears started rolling down her cheeks. "It ripped me apart and I thought my heart was going to stop beating I was so sad."

"I didn't have a choice." Banks' words were strangled and drenched with pain.

"You did. And you chose wrong. You could have...we could have figured out a loop hole together. We could have.."

Anger replaced Banks' pain and he raised the volume of his voice for emphasis, willing her to understand the gravity of the situation.

"Dammit Kenzie, do you have any idea what you took? How many people would slit your throat for it without a second thought?"

Banks' loud threat caused Hunter to tense behind her and take a step forward, reminding Banks of his presence.

"Watch your fucking volume." Hunter warned, causing Banks to clench his jaw but ultimately put his hands up in a surrender pose.

"Kenzie...I did what I did because at the time it was the only thing I knew to do to keep you safe. Dad didn't exactly give me a lot of time to think it over. He was going to hunt you Kenzie...I couldn't let that happen. I was desperate."

Remaining silent, Kenzie wiped tears from her cheeks, feeling Hunter give her a reassuring squeeze on the arm.

"You were scared?" She asked, watching the absolute anguish in her brothers eyes.

"So fucking scared Kenzie."

Nodding and processing, Kenzie pressed herself against Hunter, drawing off of his strength as she figured out how to respond.

"I know what it's like to be so scared you feel like lying is your only option." She finally said, feeling Hunter tighten his hold on her.

"But if you did all of this to keep me safe, why are you here now?"

Letting out a sigh, Banks made eye contact with Hunter of Kenzie's head before he answered.

"Dads lost his damn mind. I caught him assembling a team to track you down. He and uncle Jack convinced themselves that you'd already given the drives to Hunter and that's what prompted our little meet up in Kenya." Banks said.

My own flesh and blood, trying to hunt me down and kill me.

"Arrogant fuck. Like I'd plan a mission just to spite him." Hunter scoffed.

"Yeah well my dads dead set on the idea. Thinks you're the one after him and that you've got the ammo to take him down. I came here to warn you."

"Message received." Slater growled from beside him as he and Declan glared at Banks as if he were the enemy. Maybe he was.

"I walked away Kenzie. From dad, from Elite Tactical, and I ran straight to you. I love you Kenzie. Nothing I did changes that. Not for me."

"I love you too Banks. I always will but you hurt me. And I don't know if I can trust you." She said honestly.

"Me either." Hunter muttered.

"We'll be in town. I gave Declan the address to my hotel and room number. We'll tell you everything we know. Full transparency." Banks offered to both Kenzie and Hunter.

"No, we talk now. If she's in danger then I need all of the information you've got." Hunter quickly interjected.

"It's up to her when and if she allows you back into her life, but until then you tell me everything."

Thank you for taking control of this situation Hunter.

"Okay. I'll do whatever I need to do to keep her safe." Banks agreed.

"What's their story?" Declan asked, motioning to the men that Banks brought with him.

"They're with me. Only two years in at Elite before they realized the dark shit my dad was into. They wanted out and my dramatic exit was the perfect opportunity. They're loyal." Banks insisted.

"I have no doubt, but loyal to who?" Slater said in deep skeptical voice.

"Look. You don't have to trust us. Just listen to us. For Kenzie's sake."

All eyes went to Hunter who rubbed at his chiseled jawline that was covered in scruff as he analyzed the situation and created a plan.

"I'm gonna cuff you and keep you overnight." Hunter muttered flatly.

"Done." Banks agreed immediately.

Banks' eyes moved to Kenzie and the look he gave her nearly broke her heart.

"I'll do anything I have to do to earn your forgiveness Kenzie. I swear."

"I want to believe you Banks." She said honestly unable to hug him just yet.

Reaching down, Hunter turned Kenzie in his arms so that she was facing him as he whispered to her.

"I need to get him and his buddies into a conference room. You have anything else you need to say? I want to get Intel from them but I want to make sure you got what you need from him."

The fact that Hunter was practically asking her permission to act completely shocked Kenzie to the point where she lost her train of thought.

"You good baby?" Hunter ask again with a little more concern in his voice.

"Yeah. Sorry. I'm good. I need a break actually."

Nodding at her words, Hunter motioned with his head toward Caleb and Caroline.

"Go with Caroline. I want you and the rest of the girls to go into the break room and lock the door. Keep Zeus with you and do everything Caroline says." Hunter instructed.

"Okay." Kenzie agreed without hesitation, feeling Hunter plant a kiss on the top of her head before she turned to leave.

"Hey Kenz." Hunter called out, causing her to stop and turn.

"Nobody's gonna hurt you. You know that right?"

Giving him a small smile, Kenzie nodded her head wanting to believe him, wanting to trust him.

I sure hope you're right Hunter.

**********
Thoughts? Theories? I love hearing from you!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6K 104 30
"I'm not scared of you, I'm scared of history repeating itself" I whispered out. He grabbed my chin to make me look him in the eye, "I didn't hear yo...
192K 3.8K 40
Arabella Molloy has just left a boring six year long relationship and is now going to live life to the fullest making up for everything she's missed...
139 32 38
Karth, a leader of a tribe does everything together with his security duty to protect his tribe from their worst enemies, the Dargorth. MATURE CONTEN...
209K 5.9K 29
Book one of the "MC Punishers" Chronicles After escaping from her kidnappers, Rose is determined to get as far away as possible. After an unexpecte...