Lucky Penny [h.s.]

By alisonfelix

[Completed] [MATURE CONTENT] ** Reader's discretion advised (18+) Smut chapters are indicated with an (*) ... More

Lucky Penny
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
20.
21.
22. (*)
23.
24.
25. (*)
26.
27.
28. (*)
29. (*)
30. (*)
31.
32.
33. (*)
34. (*)
35.
36. (*)
37.
38.
39. (*)
40.
41. (*)
42. (*)
43.
44. (*)
45.
46. (*)
47. (*)
48. (*)
49.
50. (*)
51. (*)
52.
53. (*)
54.
55.
56. (*)
57.
58.
59.
60.
61. (*)
62. (*)
63.
64. (*)
65.
66. (*)
67. (*)
68.
ONE SHOT: Harry - Zayn - Penny (*)
Epilogue: two years later.

19.

13.6K 335 187
By alisonfelix

Penelope.

I parked my car near Battersea Park, checking once more in my bags to make sure I had brought everything for the day so that I could just go to the office afterwards and get ready there.

I saw my outfit, regular underwear, a hair straightener, a small amount of make-up and some jewellery. Working in the field that I worked in, it was of great importance to look your best in the office.

It didn't mean I had to wear designer clothes on a daily basis, but it was expected to put thought into your appearance, meaning it was a bit frowned upon to show up in jeans and a jumper. I didn't mind putting the effort in, it made me feel pretty and it helped me figure out the style of clothing that I liked.

I had brought both sneakers and high heels today, not sure what I was going to go for yet.

I checked my clock, seeing it was two minutes until seven.

Message to: Model Man

I'm parked! I'll wait for you at the front gate of the park?

I got out of my car, grabbing my phone and keys before locking the car up. I could see the gate from where I was parked. The air was cold and misty, but it felt like perfect weather to run since there was so much oxygen in the air and it felt just healthy to breathe it in. I could tell it was going to be a nice day, just not very hot or exceptional. At least it wasn't raining.

Message from: Model Man

Yep, just arrived. I see you. I'll be right there.

I glanced around, searching for Harry's Volvo, and spotted him a bit further away, closer to the gate. I watched as he exited his car and locked up, strolling over to me as he tucked his keys into the pocket of his shorts and held his phone in his hand.

He was wearing black gym shorts, white socks, Adidas trainers and a grey jumper. He had a red bandana in his hair to keep it away from his face, and he shot me a smile as he was close enough, "Hi."

"Hey. You look nice." I complimented him for God knows what reason as he came to a stop in front of me. I could tell that both of us didn't really know what to do. Part of me wanted to kiss his cheek, or even his lips, but we stood a little frozen.

Harry let out a light chuckle before circling his arm around my shoulders and pulling me into him, "Thanks. You too." The short touch broke the awkwardness and I was back to feeling comfortable around him in a matter of seconds.

I hugged him back with a smile and looked at the almost empty park, "Ready to go down?"

He let out a yawn and stretched his arms over his head, "I think you're the one who's going down. Are you rested?"

I tucked my car keys into my sports bra and straightened out my oversized jumper before nodding, "Very. Had a lazy day yesterday."

My hair was up in a high ponytail and I wore black leggings with trainers and a bright yellow hoodie that I had stolen from Niall a long time ago. Underneath that, I wore a top.

The park was calm, just a few people jogging or walking their dogs. Offices weren't open yet, so the traffic was easy and calm, and the city wasn't very awake yet on this Monday morning.

Harry and I started our jog, running side to side through the park as we discovered it together. I had been here a bunch of times, just not for this purpose. I had been eating my lunches in this park, taken strolls with Felix during our breaks, and used it as a shortcut to get to central London if I went somewhere after work without my car.

"So, is your office far away?" Harry asked between breaths.

I shook my head and pointed to a nearby street, "It's like through there and then on the left. From the top floor, you can actually see the park."

"Top floor huh? Fancy."

"I'm not on the top floor," I chuckled, "Just go up there a few times a year to enjoy the view. Like when it's first snowed or when there's a nice sunset, it can be really beautiful."

"I'd like to see that."

I smiled, "I could take you up there some day, maybe."

"Did you forget my insane fear of heights?" Harry chuckled, "Kind of annoying though. I haven't seen that many pretty views."

I let out a laugh, "Shit, sorry, didn't think of it."

I felt Harry's eyes on me from the side as we continued running around the pond in the park. The sun started climbing a little the longer we were jogging for, while we talked about non-important things.

"Wait," I panted out after a about twenty minutes, "I have to take this jumper off."

I held my hand up as I came to a stop and Harry snickered, "Need a break, do you?" He continued jogging on the spot as I tugged the jumper over my head, "Ah, please." I rolled my eyes, "Do I look tired to you? It's just too hot."

Harry's eyes were on my body as I tied the jumper around my waist.

"You're staring." I commented in a chuckle and he shrugged, "Allowed to stare when you look like that."

I let out a laugh as we continued running, me now in a top and leggings as the jumper was around my middle, "Look like what, exactly?"

"Hot." He commented simply and I shook my head, "You always say that when I'm wearing the most normal clothes. What am I supposed to wear for a run, then?"

"I didn't say I was complaining." Harry quickly defended himself and I shook my head again, brushing him off. We hadn't talked about anything yet. The last time I saw him, I had my tongue down his throat and his hands on my ass. Now, we were casually running through a park and the more I convinced myself that I was fine with that, I was bloody curious to know what he was thinking.

It was in the last few minutes of our run that I noticed Harry having a bit of a tough time. He couldn't keep up with my pace anymore and I smirked to myself as he trailed behind me a bit, his breathing heavy.

I came to a stop when we reached the gate again, putting my hands on my hips to catch my breath as I turned around and waited for Harry who was approaching too. There was a frown on his forehead as he concentrated on finishing the five miles, and he let out a groan when he reached me, "Fucking hell."

I let out a breathy laugh, slowing down my heartbeat as I walked around in circles for a bit, "Told you."

"Pfft, I let you win on purpose." He teased and I cackled, taking a look at my watch and seeing it was only seven thirty still. I was busy stretching, having my back to Harry as I cooled down from my run, until I heard a wheezing sound from behind me.

I turned around with a frown on my forehead, my eyes widening when I saw the look on Harry's face. It was pure panic. His pupils were dilated, his palm pressed tightly to his chest as droplets of sweat ran down his temple. There wasn't an ounce of playfulness on his face and I knew immediately that this was serious.

"Harry?!" I called out, rushing over to him as he wobbled on his legs and eventually sunk down onto his knees. I lowered myself along with him, my heartbeat picking up in worry as I stared at him.

He tried to cough, his eyes squeezed shut as he let out sharp, shallow, wheezy breaths, "A-Asth...ma attack-k." He stammered out and my eyes widened, "Shit! Shit, shit, shit! Oh my God!" I cursed out, completely panicked as I had no idea what to do, "You idiot!! Why didn't you stop?!"

Harry looked at me with a pale face and lazy eyes, gasping in short breaths that seemed to take him a lot of effort. My eyes frantically darted over his face, cupping his cheeks to get him to look at me, "Harry?! W-What can I do? Do you have your inhaler?!" My voice was shrill, and I immediately let my eyes dart over his jumper, lowering one hand to pat down his pockets to feel for an inhaler.

His dry lips closed and he tried to swallow, before his hand shakily handed me his car keys. I quickly took them from him, "You have an inhaler in your car?!"

He managed to nod and I clambered up to my feet, hesitating before I turned around and left Harry by the gates of Battersea Park. His car was close by, and I sprinted to his Volvo with the keys tightly clamped into my palm as my brain was going into a frenzy.

I yanked open the door of his passenger seat, glancing at the extremely neat interior of his car and searching for his inhaler. I checked the middle compartment where he held gum, a phone charger and a bottle of water, and then the door compartments but they were empty, except for a couple of cd's and tissues.

I eventually got lucky once I opened the glove compartment, seeing a white inhaler. I hastily grabbed it and then ran back to him, faster than I had ever ran in my life. Harry was still in the same position when I reached him, out of breath as I pushed the inhaler in his hand, "Here, here!"

His hands were still shaking as he brought it to his mouth, clamping his lips around it and inhaling from it a few times in a row. It seemed to have quick effect, his eyes shutting in relief as he slumped down a little more, and licked his lips.

My eyes were still wide as I was crouched in front of him, resting one hand on his shoulder as I intently watched his face to see how he was doing. I felt fully helpless, and pressed my lips together as I tried to think of things that could calm him down.

Harry had told me before that an asthma attack for him usually lead to an anxiety attack because it was so scary to not be able to breathe. I cupped his cheeks again, running my thumbs over his cheekbones before I scooted closer. He dropped the weight of his head in my palm, letting out a sigh as he tried to catch his breath.

His hands were trembling, and I eventually sat down on my knees again as I kept my one hand to support his cheek, and used my injured hand to run my fingers through his hair at the back of his head. Harry let out another sigh, nodding ever so shortly, "T-That... helps." He nearly whispered.

I didn't respond, and it took him at least ten more minutes before he looked somewhat okay again. I had felt his pulse every few minutes and it had gone down tremendously until it was back to a regular pace. He had some colour back in his cheeks, and his breaths had turned steady and deeper again.

Once I felt like he was back to normal, I shot him a strict glare, "You idiot!"

"Penelope..." He began, his voice slightly raspy as he lifted his head on his own, no longer needing my support, "I'm fine."

I got up to my feet, putting my hands on my hips, "You had an asthma attack! Didn't you feel it coming?! Did you push yourself that hard?!"

Harry stretched his arm out, silently asking me to pull him up to a standing position, which I did, "I did push myself. Hey, it's fine, I'm okay. It's all good."

"It's all good. Are you serious?" I mocked his voice, which seemed to amuse him a little. He wiped the sweat from his forehead as he had that smirk on his lips, which only caused me to be angrier, "Stop smirking at me! You could've died!"

He rolled his eyes, "You're being dramatic, it was fine. The inhaler works like a charm."

"And what if you would've been on your own?" I continued, "You didn't really look capable of walking to your car yourself to get it. You should keep it on you if you work out!"

"I wouldn't have needed it on my own." He shrugged, "Only pushed myself because I didn't want to lose from you."

"Oh my God." I groaned as I palmed my forehead, letting out a sigh, "Idiot, idiot, idiot." I chanted in a murmur, "You seriously gave yourself an asthma attack because you tried to keep up with me?! It's not a race, Harry! I was only teasing, I had no idea you got asthma attacks that easily!"

"What if I told you I got an asthma attack because you were running in front of me and I was so distracted by your ass that it took my breath away?"

My face dropped into a blank expression, "If you say that one more time, I'm going to punch you in the face and you'll need that fucking inhaler again." I threatened lowly, shooting him another glare.

He threw his head back in a laugh, playfully nudging my shoulder, "Right, you're a professional in breaking noses aren't you?"

His comment earned him another glare and I angrily stomped my fist against his shoulder, which had him letting out a yelp, "Penelope, I promise, I'm fine! Come on, let's grab some coffee." He tried to coax me as he circled an arm around my shoulder.

I shrugged off his hand, still angry for not taking this more seriously, "You're unbelievable."

"You're cute when you're angry." He teased and I scoffed, "Wished I could say you're cute when you're about to bloody die."

"Nah," Harry shrugged casually, "I've gone through hundreds of these attacks."

"What does it feel like?" I curiously asked.

"Kind of like an anxiety attack, I suppose." He explained as we started walking around the park once more, taking one more lap to slow down and stretch a little, and to get Harry back to life, "It feels like I can't get the air out of my lungs, whereas an anxiety attack usually means you have trouble getting air in. My chest feels really tight and I get a little woozy, like tired and dizzy. I start sweating a lot and it just kind of feels like you're trying to breathe out through a straw and an elephant is sitting on your chest."

"That sounds horrible." I frowned.

"Everything just kind of closes up. With my inhaler, it gets better pretty quickly, I just feel quite tired for the rest of the day."

"Seriously," I sighed, "Just run on your own pace, I didn't mean to pressure you or challenge you..."

Harry let out a laugh, "I know, I know. I did feel it coming to be honest, but I just tried to ignore it in hopes that it wouldn't turn into that. I'm sorry you had to see that."

"It was scary." I admitted with a shrug and Harry chuckled as he bumped his shoulder into mine, "Aw.. Were you worried, Penelope?"

I rolled my eyes, "Of course I was. I've never seen anything like that. I've never even seen someone having a panic attack, and I don't really look at myself in the mirror when I have them."

"Do you have those a lot?" Harry asked as we reached the gate once more. I shrugged my shoulders, "Sometimes. They happened quite often when I was with Patrick and we... fought." I decided to not give any more details. I didn't want to think about that again. And Harry seemed to sense that.

"Do you know a coffee place around here?" Harry asked as he also pulled his jumper off over his head, leaving him in a T-shirt.

I nodded and pointed to a corner, "There's a tiny one there, been there a few times. It's got like three tables but it's super authentic and cosy."

"Sounds great, could really go for some caffeine right now."

"Agreed." I nodded and we walked out of the park, crossing the street towards the little coffee house. It was called 'Caffeine Dreams', which was honestly what it represented.

I smiled at the owner, an elderly woman who was behind the desk with an apron on. She greeted us warmly, us being the only customers for now. Harry and I settled on a small table by the window, both ordering some coffee.

"Did you finish that project with Dave yet, actually?" I asked as I put my jumper back on while we waited for our coffees.

Harry shook his head as he mimicked my move and got fully dressed again, "No, we've still got some time for it. We were going to go to Steve's after work today. If you wanted to join..."

I cocked up an eyebrow, "Aren't you sick of me yet?"

Harry chuckled and shook his head, "Absolutely not."

"Alright," I smiled, "I'll see if I can make it. Not sure how busy of a day it'll be at the office."

Harry flicked his eyes up to see me, a small smile on his lips as he nodded to himself. We thanked the woman who handed us our cups of coffee and both took a sip of the hot liquid. Harry glanced at me from behind his coffee cup, his eyes lingering on the bruise on my jaw, "How are your bruises? Wasn't it painful to run?"

I shook my head, "No, it was fine. It's just sore to the touch, and the bumps beneath the bruises make it hard to like wear tight clothes or moisturize my legs or shave them or something. But they're fading, so that's good."

"Do you think your boss will mind?"

I sighed and nodded, "Definitely. My field is very physical-related, which might come across as shallow. The creative director who works in New York is visiting us this week, and I've been dying to get introduced to him and join the meetings. But I think Carlo would rather have me out of there if he sees the state of my face."

"Wait, really? That's fucked." Harry frowned.

I shrugged, "I get it though. It's not a good impression. Felix can take my spot, it's the reason Carlo has two assistants to begin with. I suppose I'll just do more administrative shit this week, rather than join him and Andreas when they discuss the next collection for Summer."

"Still... Doesn't seem right to take that opportunity away from you. That Andreas-guy is probably not in London that often, is he?"

"Nope, like once or twice a year. Usually Carlo travels to New York."

"Does he take you with him then?"

I chuckled and shook my head, "Nah, it's too expensive to pay for tickets. I could join if I paid everything myself, since he doesn't technically need me there. I've never been to New York."

"Would you like to go one day?"

"Mhm, I nodded, I'd love to go. I'd love to join the MET-gala one day, just like see the red carpet and all the outfits. If it's a cool theme, that is." I spoke, "But also non business-related, I'd love to visit New York as a tourist. Maybe I'd like to go during Summer, when a lot of locals are away to their families and I could rent an apartment for a month or so."

"Whoa, a month in New York?" Harry's brows raised and I smiled, "Mhm, I'd like that. I'd like to get a feeling of what it's like to live there, rather than just visit all the tourist spots. I would feel like I'm in Sex and the City." I chuckled.

"Yeah, I get that. I've been with my mom and Gemma a few years ago. Didn't feel very Sex and the City though."

"Really?" My eyes widened, "What did you think?"

"Well, bit disappointing to be honest." He laughed as he looked apologetic to having burst my little bubble, "But like you said, we just did like the tourist things, so it's probably completely different."

"What's other places you'd like to visit?" I asked and Harry puckered his lips in thought as he took another sip of his coffee, "I'd love to go to Canada. But also like for a few weeks. I'd also like to take a trip through Norway, Finland and Sweden. Nature there is insane, seems incredible for hikes. You?"

"Mhm, all those places are at the top of my list too." I smiled, "I think New Zealand too when it comes to nature. If you could live anywhere but the UK, what would you pick?"

"Hmm," Harry hummed in thought before shaking his head, "I'm too much of a homebody. I could never leave it here, no matter how much I complain about this country."

I let out a laugh and nodded, "I feel the same way. If I could be one of those people who could just pack up their lives and go, I'd choose Paris though."

"Really? Why?"

"Business-related once again," I chuckled, "The fashion-scene in France is just so much bigger. I could work at Yves Saint Laurent, or Céline, or Dior or Chanel." I dreamed out loud while letting out a sigh, "I don't know why, but Paris has always been the dream."

"London hasn't got that many fashion houses?" Harry asked and I shook my head, "Not at all. There's Burberry, but I'm not too big a fan of their clothing. And then there's Alexander McQueen, or Stella McCartney. But that's about it."

"It does seem like a tough business to work at."

"I mean, it has good and bad sides, as does any job I suppose. It's probably way less fulfilling than your job for example."

Harry let out a chuckle, finishing up his coffee, "I'd like to think that I'm shaping the future, but it's not very rewarding on most days."

"Still, doesn't it feel nice to know you're teaching someone something? I bet there's kids who are going to mention you later in their graduation speeches." I smiled and Harry let out a laugh, "I doubt it."

"Ah come on," I continued, "Some kid is going to be like... My English teacher, the incredibly hot mister Styles from when I was a kid, has something to do with the fact that I'm now president of the world."

Harry threw his head back in a laugh, his shoulders shaking as the pleasant sound filled the small coffee place, "President of the world, I like it. And incredibly hot, huh?" His eyes glimmered in amusement, and there was no way to tell that he was gasping for air not even half an hour ago.

My eyes darted down to his lips as I leaned my head on my hand and shrugged, "Don't act like you don't know it."

Harry leaned in over the table and surprised me by pressing his lips against mine in a short, soft kiss.

My entire body felt like it was made of butterflies who were on fire when he pulled away all too quickly for my liking and my eyes were wide and in shock.

Harry snickered to himself, "Are you going to look at me like that every time I kiss you? You look like you need my inhaler."

"Probably." I piped out before clearing my throat, "Sorry, just surprised me, is all. I'm not sure if I'm ever going to get used to that."

"It was my way of saying you look incredibly hot too." He chuckled. It didn't go unnoticed by me that he didn't really respond to what I said.

Did he want me to get used to it? Was he going to do it often? Would kissing become a regular thing for us?

He did say he couldn't stop thinking about me. And the morning after he spent the night, he did tell me he liked me.

I raised my brows at his words, "Now? I'm all sweaty! You should see me after I shower." I joked and Harry tilted his head to the side, "Yeah? What's the outfit for today?"

"Something to cover up this insane hickey you gave me." I scolded him and Harry burst out in a laugh again, "I'd apologize, but I'm not very sorry." He gave me that look again, like he was staring straight into my soul and as if he could read my thoughts. If he truly could, I was fucked because I was thinking a lot of sinful things right about now.

My heartbeat sped up immediately as I could hardly feel my fingertips. This man was doing things to me that I couldn't explain. I bit down on my lip to keep myself from smiling too wide as I shook my head to myself, "You have a way with words." I was very aware of my sweaty appearance and how crappy I looked after having ran five miles. I tugged on the sleeves of the yellow jumper a little in shyness.

"Can I get you two anything else?" Our little chat was interrupted by the woman owning the shop, and I glanced at my clock before looking at Harry, "It's eight. You need to leave, right?"

He sighed and nodded, "Yep." He turned to the woman, "No, thank you, just the check please. We need to get to work."

"That's too bad." She shot us a half smile, "You two seem like you're having a good time together."

I smiled down to my cup before downing the last sip, "Same time tomorrow?" I asked Harry and he quickly nodded, "For sure."

"All right, I'll see you two tomorrow then. It's five pounds then for the two coffees."

I widened my eyes, "Shit, I haven't got any cash on me."

Harry chuckled as he pulled out his wallet, "Don't worry. You've bought me coffee every day last week. About time I paid you back." He handed the woman some cash and she smiled at us one last time before clearing our table and Harry and I exited the café.

"Have a good day at work." I smiled as we reached the corner of the street where we'd part ways.

Harry's eyes were on my lips as he slowly nodded, "You too."

I took the initiative this time as I popped myself up on my toes to match his height, holding one hand on his chest to steady myself as I kissed him shortly, "Bye." I grinned, "Careful with your... breathing and stuff".

Harry shook his head to himself, a wide grin on his lips, "Bye, Penelope."

I turned around and walked back to my car, fishing my keys out of my bra as my old beige Volkswagen came in sight. I still had plenty of time for work, but I didn't mind. I could get to the office early and catch up on some stuff from the week before, and also take my time for my shower.

It only took me a couple of minutes to drive to the office from Battersea Park, and I typed in the code for the underground parking garage before grabbing my bag and making my way to the second floor where the gym was.

The shower calmed me down, yet my lips felt on fire from the two small pecks Harry and I had exchanged. He had a way of making me feel so good about myself, it was crazy. I was completely giddy and smiley the whole time when I was around him, and I felt like nothing could ruin my day after the morning I'd just had.

My body felt energized from the morning run, and I loved working-out before my day started to feel productive and good about myself.

I blow-dried my hair and quickly straightened it a little, applying make-up in an attempt to distract everyone from the fact that I had a huge bruise on my jaw and a cut in my forehead. My lip was fully healed now, just a little scab but it looked more like a mole or a little scar than anything else.

I put on a sleeveless turtleneck top to hide the hickey, black wide flared pants and a blazer. I decided on the high heels, knowing I'd mainly be sitting down all day. If I did get off early enough to still get to Steve's, I could switch for my sneakers again. I hated driving in high heels.

The top did show the bruises on my arms, but it was too hot to wear a full on sweater in the office. I did bring a cardigan to try an cover the marks on my body for as long as I could.

Felix and I arrived almost at the same time, and I gawked at his very fashionable outfit from miles away. He wore red leather pants, Gucci loafers and a floral shirt that made him look fantastic.

"Baby cakes!" He called out through the mostly empty hallway, and I hurried over to him in my heels, a stack of papers under one arm and a mug of coffee in my hand.

He pulled me in for a hug and I squealed when he lifted me off of the floor. I bit down on my lip to hide the wince that came from feeling his hands press down on the bruise on my back.

He put me down again and his smile quickly faltered, "Who punched you?!"

"Oh, no," I forced a smile as I shook my head, "I fell down the stairs. I'm bruised all over."

I wasn't sure why I was lying about the fact that Patrick hit me, and I could tell that Felix didn't believe a word I said, "Well... Okay." He warily nodded, "Are you okay?"

"Mhm, it's been healing quite nicely. Took a mean tumble."

We walked into the direction of our shared office, Felix taking the cup from my hand to take a few sips and I playfully scolded him, "So, ready for Andreas' arrival today?" He asked once we reached our desks. His eyes were still on my face as he tried to change the subject.

I sighed, "I doubt Carlo will let me join with my face looking like this."

"Fuck, yeah, hadn't even thought of that..." Felix understood immediately, and we both knew what Carlo's decision would be. I couldn't blame him, but it still sucked.

"It's alright," I shrugged, "I have to go down to the warehouse and inspect this new shoe idea that Jillian had, so I'll be busy either way. Take notes for me, will you?"

"Of course, baby cakes." Felix promised as he ran a hand through his hair, "Are you rested from fashion week?"

"Yes," I smiled, "I'm curious for the reviews. Two more weeks for Vogue to come out, right?"

"Two weeks," Felix confirmed with a nod, "Let's hope and pray for good reviews. I won't want to be around Carlo if it's shitty."

"It won't be shitty, we had a great collection! Think about how nice of an office party he'll host." I grinned and Felix sighed, "Would you scold me if I told you I already have the outfit in my mind for that office party?"

"Even though it hasn't been planned yet?"

"Even though it hasn't been planned yet."

I let out a laugh, taking another sip of coffee, "Nope. Paint me a word picture?"

He pursed his lips together for a moment, leaning back in his chair in thought, "Some Tom Ford from 2006 mixed with some Gucci from last fall and throw a little Alexander Wang in there."

My eyes widened as I nodded, "Sounds bloody fantastic."

Felix smiled at me, "So, who's got you so smiley on this Monday morning?" His smirk grew a little wider when he saw I couldn't stop the small smile from tugging on my lips, "What did your boyfriend do? A nice surprise?"

My smile faltered quickly as I cleared my throat, "Actually, I broke up with him." The fact that Felix couldn't even remember Patrick's name, signalled me how little I actually talked about him to my colleagues.

"Penny..." Felix sighed with a sad smile, "I'm sorry."

"That's alright. We weren't happy, hadn't been in a long time."

Felix' eyes lingered on my bruised jaw and he tilted his head to the side, "You didn't fall down the stairs did you?"

I breathed shakily as I lowered my eyes, feeling immediate tears behind them that I tried to keep at bay, "I did. But that's not all that happened."

"Jesus..." He muttered, "I'm so sorry. You don't deserve that. Did you get police involved already?"

"I did." I nodded, realizing suddenly that Nikki was going to try for a restraining order today. I checked to make sure my phone wasn't on silent, so I could take her call if she had an answer for me.

"You look awfully happy for someone who just went through that."

I had a half smile on my lips as I shrugged, "I may or may not have met someone else that I quite like."

"Really?" His eyes widened and he grinned, rolling his desk chair closer to mine to hear the gossip, "Tell me. What's his name?"

I chuckled, "His name's, um... Harry. He's a teacher."

"Is it that guy you brought to the gala?"

"What? God, no. That's Dave, my childhood friend and roommate." I laughed and Felix held his hands up in defence, "My bad, you have a cute roommate though. So Harry..."

"Mhm," I nodded, ignoring Felix' remark about Dave, "He's nice. But... You know, I've only been single for like a week."

"I know it's frowned upon in society to move on quickly, but you can't force yourself to take time if you don't feel like you need it... I'm sure you've broken up with your ex-boyfriend in your mind a long time ago, and that the feelings weren't there anymore for a bit. You said it yourself that you hadn't been happy in months with him."

"That's true. I just... I don't want to jump into something I might not be ready for. Besides, there's absolutely no way to tell how this will turn out, it's super new and fresh. I'm hiding him from my friends since we run in the same circles and they'd fuck it up immediately." I explained.

"So no mentioning him to your friends if I ever see them," He nodded, "Noted."

I smiled, "But we have a good connection. We went for a run this morning and we talk every day."

"That's nice. You look happy." He commented with a smile and I slowly nodded, "I think I am."

"Well, that's all that matters, no? You don't have to worry about what other people will think, or how people will look at it knowing you've only been single for a short moment of time. Fuck them, what do they even know?"

I let out a laugh at Felix' curses and my spirits were lifted immediately as I couldn't wipe the large smile off of my face, "You're right. I wish I had your confidence."

"Ah, baby cakes," He shrugged, "Being a gay man that was abandoned by his family... Kind of didn't have any other choice. Besides, it comes with age. You'll be a wise old lady by the time you're my age."

I frowned, "You're not old."

"I went to bed at nine last night."

I sputtered on the coffee in my mouth as I laughed, screwing my eyes shut as I nearly felt the liquid coming through my nose, "Shit, you are old."

Felix laughed as well, and we continued chattering for a bit until the office grew busier and busier and everyone started their workday.

"Morning Felix, Penny." Carlo walked in with a stack of magazines under his arm, dressed casually as always. He was the only one in this office who could get away with wearing blue jeans and a white T-shirt.

Felix and I both nodded at him and gave him a few short messages about calls he had missed and what was on the schedule for today.

"Jesus Christ, what happened to your face? Oh my God!" Carlo sounded worried as he took a good look at me and I shot him a sheepish smile as I cleared my throat, "Fell down the stairs."

"Are you alright?"

I smiled at his compassion and nodded, "I'm fine."

"Actually, her ex-boyfriend is a piece of shit who abused her." Felix piped up and my eyes widened. Carlo flicked his head to the side to look at Felix, who had a sorry look on his face, but a proud one at the same time.

"Shit." Carlo muttered, compassion in his eyes as he glanced at me and I lowered my gaze, swallowing away the lump in my throat. I inhaled deeply, "So, like I said, Andreas will be here at around two in the afternoon. I've sent you an e-mail with some of the topics, so you could read over that to be prepared. I've been on the phone with his assistant so I know the gist of what he's going to ask you."

Carlo was still frowning and seemed to have heard only about half of what I said. He slowly nodded at my words, "Alright. But you'll join me, right? So you can give me pointers in there?"

I tilted my head to the side with a slight frown, "You want me in the meeting? While I'm looking like this?"

"Penny," Carlo sighed, "You have a shit ex-boyfriend, that's not your fault. How much of a monster would I be if I punished you for that?"

I was baffled by his answer. Carlo had always been a nice boss, and I had always liked working for him. He was a people-person, and was empathic and nice to his staff. Yet this was something I didn't see coming from miles away.

"Um, okay. Yeah, I'd love to be there. Thank you so much." I smiled and Carlo shrugged, "Don't have to thank me, it's your job. I'll read your e-mail and get back to you about it in like an hour, okay? Can you go down to the warehouse for those shoes from Jillian first then?"

"Right," I nodded, typing some stuff on my computer, "I'll do that first."

Carlo let out a sigh as he rubbed his forehead, "Those shoes are an absolute abomination. Most horrendous things I've ever seen. Just nod and smile for a bit and tell her I'll give my feedback before the end of the week. Need to find a way to let her down slowly." He sighed and Felix snorted, "That bad?"

"Yeah, pretty much." Carlo responded and I let out a chuckle, "Okay, I'll tell her."

Carlo nodded to the both of us and disappeared in his office behind the glass doors. My eyes were wide as I stared at Felix from the opposite desk, and he grinned widely at me, "I'm sorry for spilling your secret, but you deserve to be in that meeting, Penny."

We high-fived from a distance, a habit we had adapted from watching The Office during our lunch breaks, "That's alright. Thank you."

I finished my coffee and grabbed my phone.

Message to: Model Man

You're probably sick of me but I wanted to let you know that Carlo decided to let me in on the meeting with Andreas!!

I grinned as I inhaled deeply, very ready for the work day ahead of me with all these prospects. Today couldn't have gone any better.

I winced slightly when I bumped my bruised hand against the corner of my desk, and it reminded me that I hadn't heard anything from Nikki yet. I checked my missed calls, but her name wasn't in there.

Message from: Model Man

I'm not sick of you, I told you!! Don't worry. And congrats, you deserve it! Celebratory drink at Steve's after work?

Message to: Model Man

Doubt I'll get out of the office before eight or something, but I'll let you know! I like the idea though.

I put my phone away for now, grabbing my things to meet Jillian in the warehouse and get my day officially started.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

170K 3.2K 53
*18+ Contains Mature and Explicit Content* *I don't bring my eyes up when I hear him pick up a knife.... I don't even want to see the size of it. H...
23.1K 341 36
"drag me to the dark side and show me what my body is for"
35.4K 744 14
"My name is Eros," the masked male cocks his head a smidge at her, and, if only slightly through the shadow casts between the parted zipper, Isla cat...
16.3K 552 18
e•phem•er•al-lasting for a very short time "Now what's a pretty girl like you doing on your hands and knees, scrubbing the floor?" The deep voice spe...