Stop Being Human

By Writer_Kaylee

After an unfortunate mix up with a college acceptance package, Reighlynn Fritz is transported to a new world... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Acknowledgment

Chapter 28

18 2 0
By Writer_Kaylee

I hold the top of the dress over my chest while Melody zips up the back for me. Once she fully zips it, she adjusts the skirt and my tail, then smooths it out. "Alright, let's see!" Melody says, turning my shoulders.

I face her and tuck my hands behind my back.

After class yesterday, Melody and I went out to a few dress shops. Melody could barely make a decision. Every place we went to, she brought about seven or eight dresses into her dressing room. After three stores, many hours and millions of dresses later, she settled for the "perfect" dress for her.

She didn't think she would like a silver dress, but she was wrong. The dress is perfect for her. Her favorite part is that it's a two piece, and she's all for showing off her belly button piercing.

"It's perfect Rei! How do you feel?" Melody snaps me from my thoughts.

I look into the mirror and run my hands over the beaded lace on my chest. I like the dress. My father used to say cobalt was my color, but how can I feel comfortable in my own skin knowing where I am going? Just one more thing for people to talk about. Rei, the broken-hearted, shows up to the party alone. Harmony is going to have a field day.

Melody grabs my bare shoulders and twists around my side. "Hey... don't think about it. Take tonight to forget everything and have a little fun." She moves in front of the mirror so I can't judge myself anymore than I already have. "You look amazing, Rei. Seriously, you do."

I purse my lips, "You do too Melody." Her dress has a high neckline and I am curious if it itches because my skin for sure could not handle that. That's why I went with the strapless, I just think it makes my breast more visible than I wish.

Melody and I finish a few touch ups and put on our heels. Not too much longer and Axel is knocking on the door. "Good evening, ladies." Axel holds his head high with confidence. He's been overwhelmed with excitement about tomorrow, but now he is ready to have this dance with Melody.

Axel brings his hands forward to us, holding two different yet beautiful corsages. One matches my dress, and the other matches both of them. "Axel, you didn't have to get me one." I delicately lift the corsage from his hand. He did well picking it out, though. I would assume Melody helped. The flower is blue and the ribbons are a sparkly gold.

Maybe the night won't be too bad after all.

When we arrive at the dedicated area the school rented out for this party, it is a lot more formal than Melody made it out to be. They take our names inside the main lobby before allowing us in.

Two men in suits hold the door knobs that lead to our party. They open the doors for Melody and Axel, but shut them before I can get through. "Wait, I'm with them!"

I hear the clapping as someone announces Axel as the finalist and how Melody is his date tonight. A line is forming behind me and I am ready to dip. It's a sign. Melody and Axel are already inside. I showed up for a moment and now I can leave.

Just as I am ready to skip all of this, the men in front of me push the double doors open. The group of people out in the middle of the floor all turn their heads to the doors.

"It's your turn, Miss." One man speaks up because I am just standing here like a deer in headlights.

"Sorry..." I step through the doors and the environment changes. The room is filled with people, most of them are in the center of the room dancing. A few couples are at the tables set up at the side of this large room. It's beautiful, to be honest. There are multiple dimmed chandeliers hanging from the ceiling, as well as white and black drapes.

A spot light swings over me, and the doors shut behind me. I stand here awkwardly, not sure what is happening. I raise my hand to block out the bright light.

"Introduction next, Miss Reighlynn Fritz!" What the hell is this? A medieval royal ball?

The claps are nothing compared to Axel and Melody's, but then I get a few hollers and I can tell that it is definitely Jeremy and Dante.

The spotlight switches off and I take that as my cue to step out of the way of the doors. The next couple is announced, and I clap like everyone else while looking for Melody and Axel. I squeeze through the center crowd, searching faces.

"Rei, hey! You look beautiful tonight." A younger man randomly tells me.

"Thanks." I quickly reply and continue my search.

"You and I should totally dance together tonight." This time, it is someone older. A man with cheetah spotted ears and sharp fangs.

"Uh... Not right now." I push faster through the crowd.

Why are so many people talking to me right now? As I continue to pass through the crowd, more boys watch me pass them and some continue to try and get me to dance with them. I quickly thank them or tell them I can't right now and move on.

Finally, from somewhere in this crowd, I spot Axel and Melody standing near a table. "I've been looking all over for you guys!" My heels are already killing my feet and the chairs behind them are calling for me.

"Sorry." Melody says basically wrapped around Axel, "We saw your entrance, very stunning." She's so busy giving Axel googly eyes, I can't tell if she is serious.

"I'm pretty sure every man in that crowd wants to dance with me tonight." I flip my hair off of my already sweaty shoulders. It's going to get hot in here, I can tell. I knew there was a reason I wanted to pin up some of my hair.

Melody snickers. "I told you all the guys love you."

Not all of them. Not the one I want to, anyway.

The clapping continues as more and more people slowly join the room. I don't even pay attention to who is being announced. I just clap like everyone else. Melody and Axel are whispering and laughing with one another, but I don't listen to them. I sit behind them and rub my throbbing heels.

The announcements come to a close, and the music is cranked up. Everyone joins in the middle of the room and begins to dance again. Skirts sway with the music and shoes click on the tiled floor.

I stare and all the colors turn to blurred blobs, and the music becomes just a ringing tone. I think about random things, home, my art, and Brandon... Three weeks later, and he still finds a way to creep into my mind. Does he still think about me?

Melody's blurry face appears in front of me and I have to blink a few times to come back to reality. "Hello! Can you hear me Rei?" she says, waving her hand in my face.

"Sorry, yes." I reply as everything slowly starts to come back. The music has turned slow and only couples are on the dance floor.

"Axel and I are going to go dance." She repeats herself.

Past Axel, I see the familiar curved demon horns moving with the crowd. I don't let my mind go to the worst possibility. It could be any demon boy dancing with another demon. The girl is beautiful, the black and grey sequined dress fits her just right. As they turn, the light hits his face just right.

"I need a drink." I say, springing up from my seat.

At the same time I speak, Axel also says, "Oh no..." Looking in the same direction that I am.

I walk around Melody and Axel and head to the other side of the room. There is a small bar in the back corner I had seen when walking around earlier. I am heading straight over there. There are a few people standing around the table, but the bartender doesn't look busy.

"What can I get you, girlie?" She asks me, putting her elbows on the counter and leaning forward.

"Anything for a girl who got her heart broken." I replied.

She pulls her bottom lip under her teeth and slowly nods. "Oh no. I got you." She steps back and places a glass in front of her. She closes her eyes and slowly raises her hands. Bottles, syrup and other ingredients float off of the shelf behind her.

The bottles pour into the glass, with the blue and red colors she added the drink turns purple. She finishes it off with a strawberry on the rim. She opens her eyes and analyzes her masterpiece. With a satisfied look, she flicks her hands back and everything returns to its place.

"It's a very berry cocktail. It should do the trick." She gives me a wink.

I eagerly grab the drink and raise it in the air before taking a sip. The berry flavor explodes on my tongue. It's strong, which is no surprise. The bartender nods and goes to take care of the other people at her bar.

As I turn around, taking another drink, I see Jeremy heading in my direction. "I see we are already drinking." He leans on the counter next to me.

I don't see Brandon or the girl he was with anymore, thankfully. "I have every reason to." I comment, tilting my glass towards the crowd.

"I don't blame you." Jeremy agrees looking out into the crowd, "I saw them too but that's why I am here." Jeremy holds his hand out to me, "Why don't we dance?"

I think about Brandon showing up in the bathroom and what he said to me. "Brandon already thinks we're 'getting too close'." I use my fingers to make quotation marks around my words.

Jeremy doesn't move his hand. "Every reason to dance. If he can happily dance with someone else, you have every reason to do the same. You have me, Dante and plenty of other men who would gladly share a dance with you." I guess Melody isn't the only one who thinks boys adore me in this school. I have no interest whatsoever and part of the reason is that I ended up getting with Brandon pretty fast. Probably wasn't the best decision.

We met at a party... Being here just brings back those memories.

I place my hand in Jeremy's. "Let's do it." Tonight may technically be about Brandon, but it's not about him when it comes to me getting to have a bit of fun. Besides, hopefully getting out there and dancing will cause the memories to fade away... even if it is only for a few hours.

Jeremy drags me into the crowd to slow dance. Hopefully, the next song is upbeat. I am not the biggest fan of these slow songs.

While swaying with Jeremy for a few minutes, I see Axel and Melody behind us, dancing together. I wave my hand that's over Jeremy's shoulder and get Melody's attention. She smiles and whispers to Axel, who then looks over and nods. We'll have to go over there after this song.

Jeremy's breath tickles the top of my ear. "Don't look now but someone is staring." I don't look, I don't need to. He is obviously talking about Brandon. I can smell his awfully strong cologne from here. I always used to tell him he wore too much.

"May I steal her from you?"

Jeremy and I stop dancing. "By all means." Jeremy hands me off.

"Dante?" I laugh as he takes my free hand and places his other on my hip.

"Hello Miss Rei." He says in his husky voice. I knew Dante was here somewhere, but it is surprising to see him in such a crowded area. Parties like this are definitely not his style, but I'm glad to see he is having a good time. His silver hair is slicked back with gel and he wears an all white suit. "You are a ticking time bomb, you know that?"

I hum and drink more of my cocktail. "You're real talkative tonight. I don't know how I feel about it."

Dante shows a fake offended face. "I am only looking out for you." He taps my nose, which only makes me smile. Dante has a protective side. It's in his fallen angel genes and I adore it. He's the brother I wish I had. If only we had got closer sooner, he seriously barely talked to me in the beginning.

The slow song comes to an end and a new fast pace song takes its place. Jeremy comes back and joins us, as well as Axel and Melody. "Did you see-"

"We all did." Dante, Jeremy and I all say at the same time.

Melody smiles, looking at us three oddly. "Well, at least I wasn't the only one."

Axel has his arms wrapped around Melody's waist and she has her hand placed over his. He's so much taller than her, he has to bend forward to do so. Not dating my ass. I am happy for them, but I can't deny I am jealous seeing them together.

Brandon used to grab me like that randomly in the halls. I miss that bubbly, love-felt feeling. I grit my teeth together when I realize I am thinking about him again and force myself to look away from Melody and Axel.

I chug down the rest of my drink. "I'm getting another drink!" I announced to my group.

Jeremy grabs my empty glass from out of my raised arm. "I will get you the drink. You stay here." Before he walks off, he gives my friends a look. It's the watch-her Alpha look. I want to tell him I am perfectly capable, but will it really make a difference?

When I turn back, Dante is right back in front of me with an extended hand. I, of course, take it. Once I do, Dante spins me and then sways our hands back and forth. We're awkwardly dancing, but I don't mind it.

Later on, as the more upbeat songs continue, Jeremy brings our entire group drinks. We click all of our glasses together and dance in our little circle. Axel and Melody are in the group, but they are in their own world. I can barely watch them.

When turning to look away from them, I see something even more surprising. Paris is dancing with Pois. They look so happy in each other's embrace. After being disqualified and what she did to me, there is no way she is here legally. It stings seeing them together.

I remember spending that one time in Pois's dorm working on English work. She mentioned crushing on someone in my friend group... I never would have thought it to be Paris.

"You see that too, right?" Jeremy speaks over the music. Everyone looks where I am looking.

"Damn..." Axel huffs, spotting them.

"Are you okay?" Melody asks after seeing my reaction.

Paris is her own person and I am sure she doesn't mean any harm by being with the girl who put me in the hospital. Sometimes you can't control who you end up falling for... "Yeah... yeah I'm good."

After a few more songs, Axel looks at his watch, then turns to us. "Hey!" He yells over the loud music. Both Jeremy and I cringe because our sensitive ears can hear him just fine without having to yell. "I have to get ready to go up there," He tilts his head towards the front, "I'll see you guys soon." He turns and kisses Melody on the head, then runs off.

Dante and I smirk at each other. "Axel and I are not a thing!" He mimics Melody. She has always said that.

"We've known each other since we were babies! He's not my boyfriend." I join in laughing. I remember Melody telling me that the very first week I was here. From the start, I could just tell something was up with them two.

Melody crosses her arms over her chest, and she blushes. "Things change..."

"About time!" I throw my arm around her shoulder. She knows we are teasing, but seriously, they should have been together since before I showed up. "Anyway, what was Axel talking about? Where was he going?"

Melody gives me an unsettling look. "Chancellor Niam usually comes out on stage, gives a brief speech and lets the finalist come up..." She doesn't have to say it for me to know what she is hinting at. If Axel is going up, Brandon will be up there as well. Which means I and everyone else have to see him.

I try not to show my irritation and squeeze her shoulder. "Cool."

The crowd starts to move forward, and we all gather in the front of the room. The music dims down and you can hear the heavy breathing from all the dancing. My neck is drenched in sweat. It is the second most uncomfortable feeling ever right now. First, is what is about to happen.

The curtain opens up and Chancellor Niam stands on a small platform with a microphone in hand. "How's it going out there? Are you all having fun?" He shouts, overly excited. The crowd claps and screams as a response.

"Alright! Well, as you all know, next weekend, we will be announcing this year's Fantasy Game Champion. Tonight is for all to have fun, get away from your classes and, of course, celebrate our two finalists! This year's competition has been like no other. I will say I am very impressed by everyone who competed! Give yourselves a pat on the back! You may have not won, but there is always room for growth. Don't be afraid to give it another shot!" He pauses to let the crowd clap. "With that being said, let's bring up our two finalists, shall we?" Chancellor Niam looks to both sides and Axel and Brandon emerge from the side curtains. The crowd gets louder with cheers, and I feel like I am going to vomit.

Axel is beaming with joy and waving at his fellow classmates. Brandon, on the other hand, looks bored almost. Anyone could spot that fake smile.

"Now these two boys here have fought like hell and given their best. I can for sure say I am looking forward to next week's match. I have a feeling it is going to be a good one!" Chancellor Niam pats both of their shoulders. "Now what we like to do every year is allow our finalist to have a dance with a special someone of their choosing."

You're kidding, right? Melody decided not to tell me this, because...? I slowly lean forward and look at her, annoyed. Melody bites her bottom lip then mouths, "I'm so sorry."

Chancellor Niam leans over with his microphone to Axel first. "Axel, who is the lovely person you will be choosing for this dance?"

Axel smirks and looks directly at Melody. "I chose my lovely date, Melody." A spotlight finds her and everyone claps, a few girls even aw for them.

Melody, glittering in the light, makes her way to the front. Axel helps her up the side stairs. Our group hollers like hyenas for them. I can't help but join in, it makes both of them blush and I love seeing them embarrassed.

Chancellor Niam then turns to Brandon. "And how about you, Brandon?"

I can't watch this. I could barely handle knowing we have been in the same room together all tonight, let alone see him dance with another girl for a second time. Probably that gorgeous demon girl he was with earlier.

I lean to Dante, who is standing next to me. "I can't be here anymore."

Through the awkward silence, I turn around and make my way to the back of the crowd. I have to push through or pardon myself as I do so because everyone is so captivated by who Brandon is going to pick.

"I uh..." His voice booms through the microphone, unsteady and distressed. I try to block him out. Just say it already. Get it over with. It'll just prove to me that you have moved on and I can maybe be at peace.

"I pick Reighlynn."

The entire crowd gasps and I stop in my tracks. My back is to the stage and somehow the spotlight still finds me. Did he seriously say my name?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

235K 7K 84
I felt a sudden heat that spreads through my whole body, yearning for his touch. I knew what it meant; he is my mate. The feelings were too strong th...
3K 59 6
*Mature* When 27-year-old Willow McKinney is attacked in the parking lot of the elementary school she teaches at, her whole world comes crashing down...
337 0 49
Four months ago, Alice Mason's best friend died in a car accident. An accident she somehow miraculous survived. Since that night she has been plag...
2.3K 204 15
When Jay starts acting suspicious, Sunghoon has no other choice but to follow him and discover his secrets. Except his not really good at following h...