Bullets & Promises ✔️

By FeralClaws

BOOK 2 of 'Bubblegum Gucci Punk & Gangster Model Hunk' •Be it night or be it day, the voices in his head, alw... More

A/N
00:00
1. Gears of Fate Rewind
2. Hope Against Hope
3. Holding Back Scars
4. A Futile Closure
5. The Last Warning
6. Breaking Reality
7. People Shaped Voids
8. Guardian Angels & Reapers
9. The Bullet of No Return
10. Promises Honored, No More
11. The Illusionary Reality
12. Out from the Shadows
13. Emerging from a Blindspot
14. Altruistic Innocence
15. Living a White Lie
16. A Frail Fortress
17. Not Bulletproof Anymore
18. The Eyes Tell
19. Their Bruised Love
20. Dealing with Devils
21. A Game of Cat & Mouse
22. A Glimpse of the Old Times
23. In the Clutches of a Reaper
24. A Piece on the Board
25. Exchange at a Price
26. Entering Personal Space
27. Hanging on by a Thread
28. Heart on a Sleeve
29. The Beginning of the End
30. The Long-Awaited Closure
31. Renewing Losses
32. A Smile to Remember
33. Falling into Old Habits
34. Through the Highs & Lows
35. The Art of Golden Healing
36. Birth of a New Master
37. Close to the Mark
39. An Unusual Usual Day
40. Anger Issues & Discoveries
41. The Prepared Goodbye
42. The Final Showdown
43. The Aftermath
44. The Red line of Life
45. Bullets and Promises
Epilogue: The Ever After

38. The Charming Vixen

26 9 41
By FeralClaws

"What do you mean he passed away? How?"

"He had a heart attack last night and his funeral is being held as we speak." The maid informs, clasping her front, her apron dipping slightly.

Haneul and Dae Ho stand, eyes on each other, not knowing what to do. Their only key to getting out information about the research is now dead. Is it a coincidence or not?

They leave after asking about the hospital he died at and the place Shin Beom's funeral is being held at.

"Is there a way to see his autopsy report?" Dae Ho asks, pulling the seatbelt over him after they enter Haneul's car. "I just want to take a look."

"I have a friend working at the hospital so it wouldn't be a problem," Haneul replies, taking out his mobile phone. "Let me ask him."

Dae Ho slumps in the seat, the glimmer of hope that twinkled just moments ago dying out. He's a pessimist unlike the man sitting next to him, someone who doesn't let his spirit falter and waver. He may be one of the strongest men in Haneul's eyes but the fighter doesn't remember the last time he was able to look at himself in the eye and confront the monster he's become. A cowardly beast that's terrified of looking back at the bloody trail his claws have tracked.

The ping sound and Haneul's hand coming up to him grabs Dae Ho's attention. He takes the mobile phone from the other's hand and taps the pictures of Shin Beom's autopsy report. The cause of his death is just as the maid mentioned, a heart attack due to natural causes. But one particular detail has the fighter shutting his eyes in frustration. "Damn it!" He curses under his breath.

"What happen?" Haneul glances at his side momentarily.

"It's a possibility that Shin Beom didn't die but was killed. More like I'm sure of it."

"What! How?"

"There's an exact tattoo on his torso like the one Vee has and Seonho had it too. A serpent coiled on a stick." The younger grits, his hands curling into fists. "This is so futile. I have been on it for years and keep grabbing air every time."

"Hey, hey, it's okay. I'm sure we'll find something soon. Don't fret over it." The doctor rubs his free hand over the other's shoulder reassuringly. "Even if we don't get any leads now, we still can check out the research lab. If there's any of it left, that is."

Not long after, they reach the funeral hall. Haneul parks his car outside the place, Dae Ho behind him, keeping some distance between them. Like any usual high-end society funeral, rows of funeral sprays stand on both sides of the hallway, with red and white flowers and silk ribbons from various companies and acquaintances. People in black or dark clothing greet and offer their condolences to Shin Beom's family members, Haneul spotting his ex-wife with a tissue dabbing over her eyes.

"Hey...I'm sorry for your loss." He says as he approaches Shin Naeun. "I didn't know he passed away."

"Thank you for coming, darling," Naeun replies and leans onto the doctor, sniffling, to which Haneul pats her awkwardly, not expecting the woman to show vulnerability. They stay in the same position until the doctor hears low whispers of words pitying Shin Naeun's loss. He moves away, excusing himself and proceeding to offer an incense in tribute to the old man.

Dae Ho stands in a corner, keeping to himself but observing the surroundings. There's none that he could be suspicious of nor does he recognize any face except Haneul's ex-wife. He licks his lips when the said woman walks in his direction, with a raised eyebrow.

"Oh my, if it isn't the infamous Park Dae Ho! The man that disappeared one day into thin air and my husband went on a wild hunt to search for him only to fail miserably." Naeun chuckles with a shake of her head. "I was sure you were bored by his company too and left just like I did last year. How come you're here now?"

"None of your damn business." Dae Ho clips with a glare. He's in awe how the woman who was just shedding tears on the very man she's insulting right now, a few moments ago, seems like she never did. He had never liked how impeccable Shin Naeun had been every time he and Haneul encountered her at the start. Perfect manners, a sweet laugh, just the right amount of humor, a charming presence, and a stunning face. She knew just what a man would love to hear, reeled Haneul into easy conversations and paid complete attention to his interests, and indulged the man. And not long after, his friend had started falling for her, the flawless and beautiful Shin Naeun, the character she had played well.

Dae Ho hasn't fallen in love, nor did he have the time to yearn for something intimate. So he couldn't warn Haneul how phony Shin Naeun's smile seemed by each day. The glow on the doctor's face stopped him from knocking sense into him. He talked with wide grins and shy smiles about Naeun and Dae Ho didn't have the strength to instill doubts about the woman in the doctor's heart. He wished for the best and hoped his feelings about Naeun were wrong.

"You know, if you didn't have a stick up your ass, I would've pursued harder."

"What?"

"Let me tell you a secret. All encounters I had with Haneul were never coincidental, they were planned." Naeun scratches her nose with a smirk. "Harabeoji asked me to pursue you but you and Haneul were always together and that guy was easy."

Dae Ho fists his hand and grits his teeth at the statement. He feels sick to the stomach with the woman's admission. "Why? Why did he ask you to do this?"

Naeun shrugs, her feline eyes bored. "No idea, I never asked him that. Just did it for whatever I wanted."

But Dae Ho has an idea as to why. The man wanted to control him through his granddaughter. He is connected to the research and wanted Dae Ho as a pawn. But it was Haneul who was trapped. He took his place.

"Haneul was an easy target. In no time I had him wrapped around my finger. Like a fool in love, he followed me and I had to convince harabeoji to let me have his shares if I married him instead of you since Haneul was also rich anyway."

Was it all a game for this woman? Her whole marriage with Haneul was just for what, money and power? And to admit it so easily, Shin Naeun has guts. She destroyed Haneul's self-esteem and put him through ordeals, only for her gain? Moreover, the vixen displays no signs of remorse nor is ashamed.

"I'm happy Haneul divorced a witch like you." Dae Ho spits. "You don't deserve a man like him."

"The CEO of GV electronics treats me well, I deserve a mighty man like him."

Dae Ho chuckles darkly. "You will end up alone, mark my words. Lonely and pathetic. And when the time comes, you'll realize Kim Haneul was the best you could ever find. He was the only precious thing in your life that you let go." His previous frown is replaced with a sinister smile. "And be sure to remember me and that I'll be laughing at your miserable state, cheering a bottle of expensive wine in celebration."

Naeun goes mum for a moment, her nails digging into her palms. "Shu—"

"Dae Ho!" A familiar voice calls out and the fighter walks off with a smirk, satisfaction gracing his face.

"Let's go, Haneul." He says throwing a last glance at a fuming Naeun.

The doctor is silent until it's five minutes into driving back. "What..." he starts, eyes trained on the road. "What did you and Naeun talk about?"

"Nothing important, just offered my condolences." It's a white lie. Haneul doesn't need to know the real reason behind Naeun's involvement in their lives. Even if she wasn't aware what Shin Beom was doing, she has confirmed Dae Ho's doubts about the man. What he needs to figure out is whether he was the mastermind behind killing Minji?

"Did you find anything that could be of use?"

"Not really." Dae Ho sighs and turns to lay his head on the window.

"Let's go to the research center then."

"There's no 'let's go' Haneul. Only I will be going."

"What? No." Haneul frowns with a click of his tongue. "I'm coming too, we already decided on it."

"Never did," Dae Ho argues. "Stop fighting me every time."

"Then listen to me."

At times like these, Dae Ho wants to squeeze out the stubbornness in Haneul. The man doesn't let go till he gets his way. It's frustrating. "Fine..." the younger relents. "But we will go tomorrow at eight in the night. Now just drop me home."

"Perfect!" Haneul grins driving off to the fighter's place. They bid farewell and Dae Ho reaches his apartment with jumbled thoughts.

He strips off his attire and enters the washroom to take a shower. The hot water streams down his body, hands coming up to wash his hair and shampoo them, a relaxing feeling taking over. Shin Naeun has left a bad aftertaste with all her words. If she wasn't a woman, Dae Ho would've landed a punch or two to satiate his anger. Using people for their selfish wants has always been one of the things that piss him off.

Dae Ho leaves the shower and grabs his mobile phone, sitting on the bed with a towel wrapped around his torso, water drizzling down his wet hair. He dials a number and presses the device to his ear.

"Hey, boss! What's up?"

"When are you coming back, Choi Yoon? Are you planning to get married and settle down already?"

"Woah, woah, woah! Calm down. Who pissed in your cereal today?" Yoon laughs from the other line. "And as much as I would want to marry the love of my life, I'm coming back in five days. Didn't think you'd miss me this much." The man is cackling but Dae Ho ignores him and cuts the call.

He goes to the kitchen to grab a bottle of booze and a few slices of bread with some leftover meat from yesterday.

It's been an hour since he has been home and might as well check the hospital where the Cerberus Research Center was active. And by already investigating the place, Dae Ho wouldn't need to go with Haneul tomorrow. He wipes his mouth and chugs down whatever is left in the bottle before proceeding to his wardrobe and removing a pair of black tee and pants. The fighter straps a shoulder holster and places a Glock pistol in the weapon pouch, covering it with a leather jacket on top and putting on combat boots.

Dae Ho grabs his motorbike keys and heads out, only to be stopped outside his door.

"Going somewhere?" The man raises a challenging brow, eyeing Dae Ho's clothes.

"You've got to be kidding me!" The fighter curses with a twitch. "Why are you here?"

"When I was halfway home, I realized you gave in too early and said we'd go tomorrow. That made me think, you will go alone today itself. So here I am, fully equipped." Haneul points at his outfit with a grin. He is wearing a black hoodie suit with a bright red bandana on his forehead and hands covered in cotton gloves.

Dae Ho pinches the bridge of his nose in annoyance. "One day I'll kill you and it will all be your own fault."

Damn Kim Haneul and his intuitions!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 159 98
This Book Is For The People Who Are A Survivor And Victim Of Sexual Assault And Have Dealed With Other Sensitive Topics Like Substance Abuse,Addic...
202K 9.7K 24
Summary: • Wooyoung is a sweet, innocent boy who has something that no one else has, but he doesn't know about it yet. •San is a psychopath with a fu...
1.2K 91 33
Hongjoong Kim and his mother recently moved to Seoul, Away from his beloved Anyang-si, Diagnosed with severe social anxiety at a young age. he alwa...
776 23 17
Once a global idol in a famous boyband, Kim Taehyung's life took a sinister turn when a call from the Blue House plunged him and his fellow members i...