Lamb of God: A Novel

By JerInChrist-AreOhSea

The story of Jesus presented in the Gospels, set forth as a novel! As much of the story of Jesus, as in Matth... More

Author's Disclaimer
Section I
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Section II
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Section III
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25

Chapter 19

5 1 0
By JerInChrist-AreOhSea

Nazareth

Jesus unrolls the scroll that includes the sayings of the prophet Isaiah. He faces the audience, takes a silent yet still deep breath before he reads from the scroll the passage he has selected:

"The Spirit of the Lord is on me.

For this cause he has anointed me:

to preach good news to the poor.

Yes, he has sent me to heal the broken-hearted,
to proclaim release to captives

and restoration of sight to the blind,

to set the oppressed at liberty—
yes, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor."

All have eager hearts as they listen to the inspired Scripture, being read from the mouth of Jesus. Then, perhaps startlingly, Jesus rolls up the scroll and hands it to the synagogue attendant, who is confused even as he accepts taking that scroll. Jesus has not finished the tail of the passage: "...and the day of vengeance of our God."

Jesus is at a synagogue—the Nazareth synagogue. Nazareth, it was here where he was raised. It is the Sabbath day, so Jesus is here, as he usually does when he lived here. The people are wondering as Jesus sits down why the part of "vengeance" is dropped. Isn't that our hope, that God would take "vengeance" on our oppressors—the Romans?

Everyone looks at him as he's in his sitting pose, the customary pose for teaching. "The Messiah—meaning 'anointed one'—will relieve the oppressed, liberate the captives, heal the afflicted, restore sight to the blind, and reveal to the world the light of truth."

Some of the people express their acceptance of these words. He can hear "Praise the Lord"s and "Amen"s echo from the people of Nazareth. He can hear someone saying, "Blessed is he who makes intercession for those in need and restores sight to the blind!"

Jesus then gives them the surprise: "This very day this passage has been fulfilled in your hearing."

Silence. Dead silence.

Jesus' family is there—Mary, his half-brothers, and sisters. The women are seated on one side while the men are on the other. James makes a brief sigh looking at his sib make such a claim. Really? Does Jesus REALLY believe this about himself?

"What?" the people finally speak after the stunned silence. "Is he claiming this passage?"

And that's when they realize that Jesus excluding the part of "vengeance" means he isn't planning to rebel against Rome, so they find this erroneous. "Who does he think he is? Is he saying he's the Messiah? Is this not the carpenter's son?"

The elder of the synagogue, Rabbi Joel, was watching all this from a distance. He finally speaks what he thinks, "What a showoff! You would have to comply with the sanctioned Oral Law to be the Promised One."

But Jesus doesn't back down. "It figures you'll be asking me to prove my claim... and show off miracles to dazzle you." But then he adds, "Truly I tell you, no prophet should expect being accepted in his own country."

And then he explains—with the Scriptures—that the Jews had been rejecting God's messengers, and so God will have to turn to the Gentiles. He says prophets were often rejected, and that many were sick in Israel, but those weren't healed, but those outside of Israel.

Oh, how that is hurting the pride of the Jews. And they get angry with the preacher. "You dare say Israel has departed from God?" they hiss at him. "Besides, who are you to say such things?"

Rabbi Joel, upset and angered at the words of reproof, shouts, "Away with you! Away with you!"

Jesus' words are thus drowned out when he speaks of the blessings God gave the Gentiles. The people get off their seats and run via Jesus. They grab him by his clothing and angrily force him on his feet, then drag him outside of the house of worship, with Rabbi Joel leading the way.

Not everyone joins the forming mob. Mary holds place but then runs up to the half-brothers of Jesus, who stand up also. "James," she pleads to the eldest of them, "do something for Jesus, please—"

"Mother, he must be taught a lesson! Did you hear what he said? Only the Messiah can apply that prophecy to himself! His smooth talk is all deceit—"

Meanwhile, Jesus is shoved to the wall of the synagogue outside. It is hard and loud enough for Mary and the others to hear. Mary says, "But what, son, is the cause of—"

"The Messiah should also accept the Oral Law! He doesn't!" insists James, who has pledged to the belief of the scribes.

Mary draws her half-son closer to her. "And what if that belief of the Messiah is a lie?"

James, in the nicest way possible, pushes her away. "Mother—"

"James, not everything you hear from the scribes is true. They often contradict each other in points of doctrine! Can they all be true?"

Some silence. James has been silenced. James looks around. He sees fewer people around. They note what Mary has said. It seems they are starting to see things as they are. Mary resumes, "Son, I don't think so."

Then Mary says, "If you won't try to save Jesus, I will!" Then she immediately bolts to the door.

Judah tries to prevent her. "Don't risk yourself."

But Mary is already out the door of the synagogue. She is determined to help Jesus. Like a good mother would.

Joseph Jr. exclaims, at least, "Be careful!"

+

Mary tries to find that mob. To her, nothing matters more than to find Jesus safe. Now, where are they? There aren't a lot of people, but there's still a lot, ENOUGH that they can't just all disappear.

Then Mary remembers briefly when she seemingly lost her son many years ago. As the norm, the twelve-year-old Jesus went with his parents to Jerusalem. A child becomes a Jewish man when 13 years and 1 day old. They went for a Passover. But Mary and Joseph accidentally left Jesus in Jerusalem as they were on their way on the long trip back to Nazareth. They luckily found out after only a day's flight—then they were in a frenzy, returning to Jerusalem and trying to find him. It wasn't until after three days that he was found in the Temple—in one of the chambers for learning the ways of God—seated amid scribes and religious scholars, amazing them with his wisdom of the Scriptures.

Mary remembered her part in saying, "Son, why did you do this to us? Your father and I have searched terribly?"

Jesus' response, she still recalls, "Why is it you searched for me? Didn't you know that I must be in my Father's house?"

Yes, Jesus was a good child. Mary never found any fault in Jesus at all.

And now that Jesus' life is clearly in danger, Mary races in her thoughts. Where can they—and Jesus—be found? Jesus' life had been in danger before, and he was just a child; good thing God warned Joseph so we could flee to Egypt.

But now it looks like his case is hopeless, but Mary wants to show she tried her best. "Where... where... where?" she grunts after each breath. Just how long was she talking with her half-sons?

Then she hears a voice, an angry one. It comes from Rabbi Joel:

"Stone the blasphemer!"

Mary lets out a gasp. To get cascaded to death with rocks is to suffer a cruel death. And the stoning is always outside the city or town. Indeed, in Jerusalem, there is a precise place for the pelting of offenders—the Mount of Offense. But here, it would be outside of Nazareth; at least she knows where to look.

The mother of Jesus follows that voice outside the city. As she gets closer, she can hear more visibly that mob. Soon she can see them—heading towards the cliff. Oh no! They're going to fling him down!

As she gets closer, she can hear more clearly what they are saying of Jesus. It isn't good. "You'll pay for this!" "A fake Messiah—that's who you are!" "Here we will all take part in killing you, you liar!" "God's Spirit is not on you, fake prophet!"

Jesus is being dragged to the crest of the precipice. Only a foot from the cliff, he can still look down. It is a sheer height, a high one at that. He can still hear their yells. Then he can hear some rocks. It's clear they're already ready for the pelting. He is released from their grasp, but they are backing their steps. Somebody slings a stone toward Jesus' direction. It is hopeless now. Mary falls to her feet and covers her face; she does not want to see Jesus die! That would be cruel!

But that stone misses Jesus. As all this is ensuing, Jesus bravely walks forward. Somehow the horde does not prevent him. He is hidden from them. He passes them by and before they know it, he is already away. Humanly, this can't be achievable.

They wanted a miracle—well, there they have it!

Mary recognizes Jesus as he is leaving the crowd before him. He decides to leave this town, for while this is his hometown, they have rejected him and they are at the point of destroying him! Better to go somewhere where people will listen.

Mary runs up to her son. "Oh, Jesus!" she cries. "But how did you escape?"

Jesus sets his gaze to her. "God is with me."

"Oh, and your close-to-white garment!" she hollers. Jesus turns over to where Mary is eyeing his garment. It is dusty because of all the dragging. It even appeared to be tearing. "We can't have that!" Mary proceeds to say.

Jesus states, "I have to leave here. Meet me at Capernaum."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.2K 301 200
This is part 3 of The Holy Bible in the King James Version, beginning at 2 Chronicles and ending at Psalm 122. If you have any questions, please feel...
4 0 151
A book containing all of the deuterocanonical books and chapters of the Catholic Church.
13.3K 503 25
A compilation of BibleJeff/JeffBible AUs Written by @flipthatcoinbij
88 0 33
Each chapter invites you to journey through key aspects of the Christian faith, guided by the wisdom of renowned scholars and theologians. Engage wit...