Gilded In Gold

By DemiWritingWiz

After Corona was taken over by Zhan Tiri, things have only grown worse. With the fate of Old Corona resting... More

Episode 2: The Crystal Mines
Episode 3: Clarity
Episode 4: Opportunities
Episode 5: Truth and Civility
Episode 6: The Plan
Episodes 7: A Noble Cause
Episode 8: Long Live the Sun
Episode 9: Fight or Flight Part 1
Episode 10: Fight or Flight Part 2
S2 Episode 1: Newfound Hope
S2: Episode 2: Ghosts of the Past
S2:Episode 3: Liability
S2: Episode 4: Intimate

Episode 1: Dark Beginings

288 4 9
By DemiWritingWiz

It was midnight when Varian heard the first shouts.  He jolts awake, head jerking towards his window.  A warm light flickered, dancing around his room, making his heart sink.  Getting up, he rushed to the window and opening it, not caring that his bare feet were touching the icy cold wood floor.

It was as he had fear.  Fire.  The house across the street was already engulfed in flames.  He scanned the grounds, seeing if the whole family had escaped.  As the mayor's son, it was his business to know everyone in Old Corona.  To his relief, everyone was safe.  Even their dog was with them, spared from the unfortunate event.

Varian shoved on his boots and threw a coat on as he ran down the stairs.  His father was already about to rush out the door as Varian grabbed his gloves.  He didn't want his hands to go numb while trying to work.  It would slow him down.

Everything was a rush and a blur.  They managed to take out the fire, but it was unfortunately too late to save anything.  Varian passed the family a sympathetic look, but they weren't looking his way to notice.

He handed the bucket to one of the villagers before starting to head to the house.

"What are you doing?"  Quirin asked.

"I figured I'd set them up some beds," Varian answered.

His father nodded and gave him a small, tired smile.

The next morning, Quirin left early with the father of the family to visit Corona to pick up supplies.  Varian took charge of his father's duties and was grateful for the wife and two kids who took care of the house chores and cooking for him.

Ever since his mother's death, Varian he had taken over a lot of the house work.  A war had also started since her death, which caused Quirin to be more diligent and teaching Varian on how to be the village leader.  If anything were to happen to him, Varian would have to take charge.  A thought Varian wasn't ready to truly think about.

He stopped by miss Leah's house.  She was an elderly woman who lived on her.  As far as Varian knew, she had always been an independent woman who never married.  He wondered if she was ever lonely, but she seemed quite happy whenever he saw her.

"Morning, miss Leah."

"Ah, Varian.  You dropping off the milk for your father?"

"Yes, he's away at Corona again to help the Meyers after their house burned down," Varian explained.

"Oh, yes.  I heard about that.  How dreadfully unfortunate," she said sadly.

"It is... all these fires, in the middle of winter.  I don't understand.  The houses are gone before we can so much as move a hand to take out the fire..."

"Must be the coal," the old woman remarked.

Varian shook his head, but he didn't bother arguing with her.  He highly doubted that it was the coal, but it wasn't like they had anything else to blame at the moment.  Although, it was highly possible that they were using wood logs to keep their house warm.

"Whatever it is, I hope we can fix the issue."

"Ever since the Der Sonne family were taken off of the throne, things have been dark.  Queen Arianna, she was such a wonderful ruler.  King Fredric did well enough.  No one deserved their fate..."

Varian recalled the memory of hearing the news for the first time.  The castle had been under siege and suddenly, the enemies won.  They murdered the Royal Family and imprisoned those that were a threat if they didn't murder them too.

"We didn't have to worry about random taxes and whatever crazy plan Queen Zhan Trii has up her sleave," Varian agreed.  "I'm glad we live in an overlooked town.  We barely gain the attention of the officials."

"Yet.  They're working their way here.  It won't belong before our streets are patrolled by the guards and we won't be able to speak so freely about the queen like we do now.  Not unless you want a free hanging in the town square."

As grim as it sounded, Varian knew she was right.  "Well... I better check on the Meyers.  Make sure they're doing alright."

Leah nodded as Varian waved before leaving.  He returned to the small castle that he and his father lived in.  He hadn't even entered before the sound of horse hooves made him stop.  He turned around to watch as three soldiers came riding into the town.

Varian stepped down from his door steps to get a better look as they stopped at the town square.  Mrs. Meyer peeped her head out of the door and shooed her kids away when she heard the commotion.

"What do they want now?  We barely have enough savings for the town to last the winter," the woman whispered worriedly.

"Who is this town's spokesman?"  The first guard called out.

Varian clenched his fists as he stepped forward.  "I am, sir.  Temporarily as our village leader is out on business."

"Mayor Quirin, you speak of?"

"Yes, sir."

"Went to the capital with a man named Meyer?"

"Well... yes, sir... that is accurate," Varian said, taken off guard by the accuracy of the man's knowledge.

The man handed Varian a sealed letter.  The nineteen year old gave the man a questioning look before opening it.  He didn't make it past the first three sentences before he froze, utter dumbfounded.

The guard didn't wait for Varian to say anything before calling out to the village.  "People of Old Corona!  Let this be a lesson to you!  Those who oppose the monarchy will recieve a similar fate as your leader.  Mayor Quirin, was convicted of treason against the crown as a leader of an underground rebellion and was hung this morning."

Varian held a hand over his mouth, staring at the letter in his hand.  He didn't realize that he was silently crying until Mrs. Meyer set her hands on his shoulders.  She gently led him out of the guards way as well as their reach.

"Meyer is under arrest until he is proven innocent or guilty of being a part of the rebellion.  And that is all we have to bring.  All hail Zhan Tiri, may she reign forever!"

Another soldier got off his horse and set a huge sack on the ground.  Nothing had to be said for anyone to know what it was.  Quirin's dead body.  With that, the three guards took off riding.

Once they were put of earshot, the town went into a quiet panic.  "What are we going to do?  Quirin was our best man at tactics for storing food for winter," one woman said.

Many people said similar things, no one meaning to be heartless or selfish.  After living in the world they had for the past few years, it was survival.  When they lost one of their own, it was about how not to lose another.  Varian understood that, but it didn't ease his pain at all.

"Varian..." Mrs. Meyer whispered.

He wiped the tears away and put the paper in his pocket.  Squaring his shoulders, he pushed back his tears.  He was the leader now and it was apparent that he would have to fill his father's shoes much sooner than either of them planned.

"We're going to build a green house.  It may not help us this winter, but it will next winter.  This year, we're going to have to do our best to scrape by.  We'll have to fight with all our beings, but we're resilient and strong.  If we have to skip the occasional meal, we will handle it.  Until then, I will try to find a solution," he promised.  "Now, everyone back to your work.  We have much to do."

The townsfolk watched him carefully.  There was a time when they hadn't liked him.  However, after his mother's death, the town had been through hell, and they began to appreciate his strange ideas more.

Some of the people passed him approving nods, a few even impressed.  For someone who just lost their only family left, he sure did take charge fast.

Varian turned around and walked towards his house with his head held high.  However, instead of going inside, he grabbed a shovel resting against the side of his house.  No one had to ask to know what he was doing.

Mrs. Meyer turned to the town carpenter.  "How long will it take to make a coffin?"

"I have one store that he will fit in," he answered quietly, sadly glancing at the former village leader.

"I'll help him with the shoveling," a man offered.

"No."  Leah shook her head.  She was stepping down from her steps.  "Let him be alone for a minute.  As long as were around him, he will have to be strong.  Let him be alone to grieve."

The people nodded, understanding what she meant.

Varian came to the tree where his mother had been buried under.  He stood there for a minute.  "Hey, mom.  Can you tell him bye to him for me?  That..." his voice cracked.  "That would meant a lot to me..." he dropped the shovel as he sank to his knees sobbing.

◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇

Rapunzel stood looking in the mirror.  She inspected her dress.  It looked fine enough.

A knock sounded at the door.

"Who is it."

"Cass."

"Oh, then you can come in," Rapunzel replied in a cheery tone.

Her sister entered the room, wearing a black dress with clue accents to match her blue hair.  Rapunzel had a lavender dress, which appeared more cheerful against her older sister's gloom.

"Are you ready?" The blond inquired.

Cassandra shrugged.  "Suppose so.  Why the sudden celebration?"

"Mother said they found the rebellion leaders and they sent them away so they don't make anymore trouble," Rapunzel answered.

"Why celebrate of they were so easily taken out?"

"Because it was done so quickly.  A conflict resolved quickly and not so many were involved yet.  It's great news, right?"

"Yes, it is.  I'm just pissed I have to dress up on such a short notice," Cassandra admitted with a smirk and a wink.

"Shall we go?" Rapunzel giggled.

"If we must," Cassandra replied with a dramatic air.

The two sisters walked out of the room and down the hall together.

◇◇◇◇◇◇

Varian was furiously digging at the ground when he heard footsteps come up.  He used his coat sleeve to quickly dry his tears, but a hand was placed on his shoulders.  Reluctantly, he looked up.

Leah had a plate of cookies and hot cocoa.  How it was still steaming in the cold winter air was beyond Varian, but the old woman knew how to work wonders.

"I'm not hungry," he said quietly.  It was true.  His stomach was twisted in knots, preventing him from feeling hungry.  Even if he had already skipped lunch.

"At least take a break and try to drink a little," she offered.

Sighing, he nodded, not wanting to argue.  They sat down by the tree and Varian took the mug of hot cocoa.

"You're free to cry around me, dear," she said.

"My head hurts too much for me to keep at it," he admitted.

"Why don't you go home and rest.  Let us dig the rest for you."

"No," he stated.

"Varian," she signed.  "No, you need to go home and rest."

"No."

"You're so stubborn," she muttered.  "Look, everyone's worried about you.  Why don't you go home to bed out fo the cold?"

"I'm fine."

"Well, if you have to say it, then you're not," she reroted.

"Whatever," he muttered, standing up.

"Varian..."

"No!  I'm fine!  Just let me be!"  Varian clutched the shovel as new tears overflowed the brim of his eyes.  He turned his head away in shame for snapping at her.

He had expected her to walk away, upset with him.  However, she had other intentions.  She pulled him into a hug.  He dropped the shovel and sobbed as wrapped his arms around her.

"I'm so sorry..."

"Shhhh... no, honey.  It's ok.  You're hurting, I know you didn't mean anything by it."

"He's gone...  they both are... what am I supposed to do?  I'm not ready?  How am I supposed to lead this village if I don't even know how I'm going to lead myself in another day?"

"Well, I don't know," she admitted.  "But what I do know, is that you're a strong, resourceful young man.  The village knows this too.  We've watched you grow into a young man, Varian.  We're all very proud to see what you've become.  No one expects you to be perfect, just for you to do the best you can."

"And if my best is not enough?"

"Then nothing anyone does will be enough.  Varian, you needn't worry.  The entirety of Old Corona has your back."

"Thank you..." Varian whispered.

◇◇◇◇◇◇

The funeral took place later that day.  Many of the villagers offering Varian to eat with them, which he ended up declining.  Mrs. Meyer and her children were still staying at his house and she took charge of the cooking for him.  She wanted to keep her mind off her husband that was probably cold and hungry in a damp cell that very moment.

"You can stay here as long as you wish," Varian said while picking at his plate.  "I'm not sure when your husband will return and I'm not certain if we'll be able to focus on rebuilding your house yet."

"That is very kind of you," Mrs. Meyer said.  "Perhaps we can help keep you company for a time?"

"Yeah, that's partially why I want you to stay.  Living in a house as big as this alone is... a little unnerving... or maybe it's just because I haven't lived alone..."

She gave him a sympathetic look.  After all, he was an orphan now.  Even though he was an adult, he was barely one.  Still too young to be without a parent to turn to, let alone have the weight of a village's survival on his shoulders.  But if life had taught anyone anything, it wasn't always fair.

The next morning, Varian got up early.  No sooner had he walked out the door when he realized that the villagers were staring down the road.  He stood there as ten guards came riding in.  Clenching his fists, he waited for what they had to say.

"Who is the town's spokesman?"

"I am, sir."  Varian stood as tall as he possibly could, silently cursing that he took after his mom's height instead of his father's.   To be fair, he was a little taller than his mom, but still.

"The great Zahn Tiri has decided to be merciful with you all.  After your leader turned out to be a traitor, should we not assume all of you are?  Instead of putting you all on trial, she has decided that your town must come up fine."

Anger boiled in Varian's chest, but he dared not express it.  "How much would that be, sir?"

He was merely handed a letter.  "Find a way to pay ot by spring," the officer said.  With that, they rode away.

Varian took one look at paper before crumbling it and tossing it to the ground with an angry grunt.  He huffed as he began to pace.  The townspeople looked at each other and back to Varian, realizing by his reaction that sum was impossible.

"Gah, fuck it!"  He muttered.  "Everyone," he spoke up.  "Emergency town meeting, now."

It suprising only took ten minutes for all the meeting members to arrive in the meeting house.

"What is the sum?"  One man finally asked.

Varian handed him the paper.  The man's eyes widened and the room went silent as the paper was passed around.

"Even if we decided not to eat, I don't think we can scrape it up..."

"We can pay half of it with the savings my father had saved up.  It was for the food crisis during winters, but it appears, if we wish to live our lives, we'll hand it over," Varian said.

"We don't have the money to gather together to pay the other half," a woman pointed out.

"That's why we're here," Varian said.  "If we don't come up with this money, what do you think Zhan Tiri will do?"

They were silent, not wanting to say the terrible truth.

"The mines," a man said.

"What?"  Varian looked at him.

"The mines," he repeated.  "If a large amount of us go to work in the mines, we can work to pay the other half of the dept.  But that would also solve our food shortage of half us aren't around to even eat it."

"Are you insane?"  Another woman cried.  "Have you heard what those mines are like?"

"It's just until spring," he replied.

"I don't like it," Varian said.  "But we're left with no other option.  We'll have to gather volunteers..."

"How will we do that?"

"I don't know...  just give me some time.  The entire town will meet together at the square tomorrow morning and I'll make the announcement," Varian said.

The people agreed.

The people filed out so that it was only Varian and Leah left.  He let out a loud sigh.

"Varian."

"Hm?"

"Would you do it?"  Leah asked.

"If you had the chance to volunteer to go to the mines, would you do it?"

"Why are you asking me this?"

"Because, Varian.  A good leader would not ask of his people of something that he himself could not do."

"I would go in a heart beat," Varian answer honestly.  "But what about the half of the people I leave behind?  Who will lead them and show them what to do when the worse part of winter comes?"

"Well, we have faced winters before.  I'm sure we'll manage."

"You!" Varian's eyes lit up.  "You could watch over Old Corona while I am away!"

"Wait, I didn't mean you had to go.  I was just asking if you were willing-"

"But someone needs to lead the people while we're at the mines and how could I place the responsibility of that on someone else's shoulders.  Miss Leah, you're the wisest among all of the villagers.  We all respect you and no one would argue if we set you up as temporary spokesmen."

The woman thought about this.  "You seem to forget that I am in retirement, but, if it is necessary, I will watch over the town for you."

"Thank you.  You don't know how much you just help me fix."

The next morning, they all gathered in the square as Varian had purposed.  The teen stood on a crate as he let out a breath of air, visible in the cold.

"Everyone, you have probably heard the money crises we have been demanded of.  I'm not sure how many people heard our solution to gain that money, but we have a plan.  I'll be honest with you, it isn't pleasant if rumors are true.  We need volunteers to go to the mines."

Some of the people began to whisper.  Varian took in a deep breath before continuing.

"Now, I wouldn't ask anyone to do this if I wasn't, which is why I will be the first volunteer.  Miss Leah will be temporarily the spokeswoman while I am away.  It is only until spring."

"I'll go."  A girl that seemed to be roughly Varian's age raised her hand.  He recognized her as Faith.

More volunteers started offering.

"Together, we can fight and win this," Varian said proudly.  "We will prove that Old Corona is a force not to be reckoned with when we work together as a town!"

This excited some of them and they let out a short cheer.  This was their stand.  Winning the fight to keep the town.  It didn't matter how they did it.  As long as they didn't lose to Zahn Tiri, they would be just fine.

"I will make you proud, dad," he whispered.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

84.4K 3K 51
"๐“๐ซ๐ฎ๐ญ๐ก, ๐๐š๐ซ๐ž, ๐ฌ๐ฉ๐ข๐ง ๐›๐จ๐ญ๐ญ๐ฅ๐ž๐ฌ ๐˜๐จ๐ฎ ๐ค๐ง๐จ๐ฐ ๐ก๐จ๐ฐ ๐ญ๐จ ๐›๐š๐ฅ๐ฅ, ๐ˆ ๐ค๐ง๐จ๐ฐ ๐€๐ซ๐ข๐ฌ๐ญ๐จ๐ญ๐ฅ๐ž" ๐ˆ๐ ๐–๐‡๐ˆ๐‚๐‡ Caitlin Clark fa...
137K 4.8K 39
โ if I knew that i'd end up with you then I would've been pretended we were together. โž She stares at me, all the air in my lungs stuck in my throat...
1.8M 49.2K 71
๐…๐‘๐Ž๐™๐„๐ | โYe a cute little thin', aren't ya? I think ye will be mine now...โž โ†โ…โ„โ†โ… ส™แดส€ษด แดา“ แด„แดสŸแด… แด€ษดแด… แดกษชษดแด›แด‡ส€ แด€ษชส€ แด€ษดแด… แดแดแดœษดแด›แด€ษชษด ส€แด€ษชษด แด„แดแดส™ษชษดษชษดษข...
1.1M 36.1K 62
๐’๐“๐€๐‘๐†๐ˆ๐‘๐‹ โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€ โi just wanna see you shine, 'cause i know you are a stargirl!โž ๐ˆ๐ ๐–๐‡๐ˆ๐‚๐‡ jude bellingham finally manages to shoot...