The Purple Jade Palace: The H...

By LisabetMae

When Teal helps an injured soldier by hand-delivering a scroll to the Emperor, he is offered a place in the E... More

Map of The Talbecan Empire
Character List
Prologue
Princess Estina
The Scroll
Cleaven Estate
Interrogation
A Message For The Emperor
A Proposition
Musings
Decisions
Beginnings
Becoming Acquainted
Delba
When You Can Look Me In The Eyes
Dalenia
The Purple Jade Palace
Empress Crael
A Misadventure
Consequences
A New Friend
A Trip To The Forest
The Blue Garden
Prince Yernal Of The Keglar Kingdom
An Altercation
We're Making Progress
Advice
The Swearing of Loyalty Ceremony
The Emperor's Tower
A Surprise
A New Relationship
The Lost Seas' Saga
Do You Care For Him?
A Ripple
A Sharing of Information
Discussions
Intimacy For Three
Death
The Summer Palace
Too Much Of A Good Thing
An Enemy Attacks
Shapeshifter
Return
Bad News
Learning the Truth
Plans
Repercussions
An Unsettling Conversation
A Meeting at Arina Pass
Dinner
A First Watch
Questions
Marked
Assassins
An Unwelcome Guest
A Very Bad Day
Traitors
A Little Hero
Help
It Only Gets Worse
The Talekan Assassins
Predictions
Truth Serum
Loose Ends
Changes
Confessions
Enemies from both Sides
Lady Annalei
Kidnapped
Informant
When Powers Collide
Field Battle
Collaborations
Confrontation
A Life for A Life
It's Time
Abduction
Prisoner
The Hummingbird's Plan

The Emperor's Mother

68 2 21
By LisabetMae

There was no denying Jale's dark mood the next day. The other consorts took it in their stride and gave him space. Apparently, it didn't happen often, but Jale was known to have a temper when the politics of the palace became complicated and didn't go in the Emperor's design.

Teal followed the lead of the other consorts and let him brood, but they all lifted their heads at the same time when he finally spoke towards the end of their morning meal.

"The Emperor will spend the next two days with the Empress. Preparations for the Midsummer Festival are back in full swing." It was the only indication that something had gone wrong and they were now moving forward. "Teal," Jale spoke again. "I need you to attend my quarters this evening. I would like to extend your lessons to discuss what will happen over the Midsummer Festival. The Emperor's mother will be in attendance."

Teal tried to keep his face innocent when in truth, he had jumped at the prospect of what could really lay ahead. His mind went instantly back to Jale returning the night before and taking him apart in his bed.

"Certainly," he said and continued with his food.

Jale offered them a weak smile and left.

Ralen sighed. "I heard that the prisoner was murdered in his cell before they were able to get anything worthwhile out of him."

The table paused. It wasn't like Ralen to engage in gossip so Teal was inclined to take his words as truth. Teal watched Jale's withdrawing back wishing he could do something to help.

When he turned back to the table, he caught Delba's gaze. She had been watching him, watching his reaction. He tried to be nonchalant, but her eyes narrowed.

<<<>>>

As the days led up to the start of the celebrations, excitement started to buzz through the palace, and the murdered guard was forgotten in the hectic rush to complete preparations.

Teal had celebrated the Midsummer Festival in Hulena with the rest of his town, and much time and energy was spent in the preparations to ensure that there was enough food, dancing and entertainment. The capital celebrated the Midsummer Festival with one long week of parties and on a scale so much grander than Teal had ever experienced.

Political endeavors and the running of the empire were effectively shut down. Official duties were put on a hold with only the bare minimum or emergency items being attended to. Those behind the scenes who saw to the day-to-day running of the palace, had their numbers doubled.

It did not go past Teal's attention at how the atmosphere in the palace changed with the Empress Dowager's impending arrival. Two days before the festival started, she arrived with more pomp and fare than Teal had seen in his life. He observed her entrance to the palace from one of the towers along the wall.

Her retinue was large with twelve caravans. She rode in the first, pulled by four luxurious strong horses covered and decorated with the imperial colors and seal. Her own personal guard could easily be over a hundred men who were positioned behind, in front and around her caravan. Out ahead, an additional five men in the same uniform, carried horns to announce her arrival.

Teal guessed the other caravans contained her personal maids. All of the windows were covered and while Teal strained himself over the edge of the wall to catch a glimpse, he couldn't see anyone who could have been inside.

Her servants didn't get the luxury of a caravan. Instead, they walked at the end of the long procession. When he looked down into the arrival courtyard inside the palace, he saw the Emperor, Prince Vox and Prince Salren standing together to greet her personally.

Teal turned to the two guards with him. He had one hour until he was expected to present himself to Jale before her official greeting. "I hope you can keep up," he said with a grin. "I need to get ready."

Teal laughed as the two guards shared a look, a look that they weren't impressed. Before they could complain, Teal set off along the wall heading straight back towards the Purple Jade Palace. His two guards would have to take the longer route down on the paths.

<<<>>>

The consorts stood in a line in the main living area of the Purple Jade Palace. Teal was already sweating, the weather far too hot for such clothing. When he brought this to Jale's attention, it was greeted with a hard stare that silenced Teal on the spot. Now, Jale was slowly making his way past each consort, unafraid to place his hands on their bodies while he straightened this and that despite the relentless efforts of their eunuchs.

"Stop fidgeting," Jale told Teal, coming to stand before him. Jale shook his head at the cleverly sculptured silk that wound over Teal's head in an attempt to ensure that he wouldn't stand out from a distance. "This is going to be interesting to say the least."

"I'll say," Ralen said, looking down the small line of consorts to Teal.

Delba also agreed. "I can't wait to see her stiff upper lip hold when she casts her eyes on him."

Teal swallowed uncertainly. "What should I say?"

"Nothing!" Jale exclaimed. "Remember what I told you! Keep the silk on your head. Don't speak, don't make eye contact! Don't move unless you're supposed to and don't do anything to draw any unwanted attention to yourself."

Ralen cracked out a laugh. "That's going to be hard."

Teal could see the seriousness in Jale's face. "I'll be frank. She might say something to upset you or to try to provoke you. Any act of aggression, attitude or resentment will have you killed no matter how much the Emperor likes you."

Their eyes met fiercely, and Teal nodded to show he understood how seriously he was going to have to behave.

Ralen, it appeared, was in a position to say more. "Or, you know, no matter how much Jale likes you visiting him in his personal quarters."

Jale spun and glared, but Ralen only gave him a friendly wink.

Jale sighed and turned back. "Whatever the Empress Dowager says to you, pretend she's talking about the beautiful flower garden across the bay and ignore everything else. If you keep your head down, maybe she just might not notice your eyes. Do you understand? And try to stop sweating!"

"You're not helping," Teal responded. "You're making me worried."

"Good! You should be." Despite his harsh words, Jale handed a small cloth and nodded to Teal's brow. "Use that if you can't stop yourself."

The Hall of Memory was filled to the brim, and Teal could see that no one had spared formalities. The Emperor's court was dressed to their immaculate best.

At the top of the hall, sat the Emperor and the Empress, their thrones seated next to each other. Prince Vox and Prince Salren were also on attendance sitting to the side. To the left and just slightly behind, sat the Emperor's mother although her throne was nearly as large as the Emperor's and the Empress' put together.

As part of the harem, Teal stood off from the main platform. The consorts stood in order of arrival. Jale first, followed by Ralen, Delba, and then Lana. Teal stood right at the end of the line.

For half an hour, family members, military leaders and political leaders presented themselves to the Emperor's mother bestowing her with gifts and pleasant words.

Teal was surprised by the Empress Dowager's age. He had expected an old, wrinkled, stern woman well into her sixties. The Empress Dowager however, was only just showing signs of grey in her hair and the wrinkles around her eyes and cheeks were few. She had a warrior's pose with medals heavy on her gown although Teal didn't know if they were hers or her late husband's. He didn't doubt that some of them could have been hers. Her brown, beady eyes cast over the hall, severe and formidable, and Teal quickly decided he did not want to become victim of her wrath.

After various members of the court had taken their place before her, it was the consorts turn to welcome her to the palace. Not surprisingly, the Empress Dowager's eyes fell onto Teal immediately and narrowed.

Teal followed the others, kowtowed and pressed his head to the carpet before the thrones and lifted his upper body to rest his weight on his knees, keeping his head down to not only show his respect but to hide his appearance.

"A new consort?" Teal heard the Empress Dowager ask with disapproval in her voice.

"Concubine," the Emperor corrected. "He has been at the palace for just over a month."

Teal's sweating increased, and he continued to fix his gaze on the floor in front of him. If she had the power to kill him on the spot for saying the wrong thing, then he was sure she also had the power to send him out of the palace as well.

"From where?" she demanded.

"I found him in Hulena."

"The small outpost town in the northwest?" she asked. She was quiet once the Emperor had confirmed, seeming to mull over this new piece of information.

Teal's heart pounded in his chest knowing that essentially his fate was being decided right then and there.

Finally, she spoke again. "So be it, but there is no time like the present to announce that I have also brought three young women with me for you to choose from. It is time that a new female consort moved into the Purple Jade Palace."

There was a flutter of surprise in the hall that occurred not only through the court but to the other consorts at Teal's side as well. He didn't turn his head though. All of his energy focused on not moving and to keep the breath inside his chest even.

"Yes, thank you mother," the Emperor replied, managing as always to keep his emotions in control. "We will continue this conversation in private. Now however, let's enjoy the rest of this welcoming celebration and..."

"Wait!" the Empress Dowager suddenly announced.

Another stir rippled through the crowd.

Her voice suddenly bellowed out over the hall. "The new concubine! Rise!"

The sound of her voice surprised Teal. It certainly did not match her looks. While she looked fairly young, her shout came out thick and low. When Teal didn't respond because Jale had told him not to move or make eye contact or speak, the Emperor called out to him.

"Teal, stand."

Teal's heart slammed into his chest once again. He wasn't out of trouble just yet. He obeyed and promptly tripped over the length of his outer jacket as he rose to his feet. Carefully, he regained his balance and kept his head down. He pressed his hands together across his body hoping that it would hide the way his body was now trembling.

And then, the presence came forth. Teal felt it emerge from the depths of his soul, and he closed his eyes. The last thing he needed was for them to glow. The presence surged through him and with it, calm...and confidence.

"Lift your head," the Empress Dowager ordered.

Teal did so. There was a push from the presence that he tried to ignore. He couldn't stop the presence from taking control even as subtle as this. There before everyone, Teal stared the Empress Dowager directly in the eyes.

She leaned back in shock.

Silence followed his act of defiance. A silence that echoed within the hall. Slowly, the Empress Dowager rose to her feet and stepped down from the royal platform, the entire hall frozen and watching her every move.

"Take off your head piece," she ordered.

Without breaking eye contact, one of Teal's hands went up to his head and he pulled off his silk scarf.

Teal couldn't read her features, much like the Emperor's, both trained to withhold their emotions, but there was something in her eyes that showed she was deliberating or fighting with something.

"Your eyes," she said, and Teal thought she was going to merely comment on their blueness and the fact that he was a Lombock. "There's a presence within you, isn't there?"

Heart pounding, Teal nodded, his mouth dry.

"An old soul, isn't it?" the Empress Dowager continued.

Teal gasped at her confession. He dared to take a step forward, and she abruptly raised her hand ordering him to stop.

The Empress Dowager knew something, something about him! His eyes glowed before he could hide the act, the presence preventing him from attacking, protecting the Empress Dowager. Teal shook his head. He wouldn't think of attacking her.

Unlike anyone else, she did not show any response to his glowing eyes. Instead, it was as if she had almost been expecting it.

"The Lombock lays with you?" she asked over her shoulder to the Emperor, such a personal question in a hall full of people.

"He does," the Emperor lied.

"He is loyal to you?" she further prodded.

"Yes," the Emperor said.

The Empress Dowager turned abruptly and stood before her son. "This is a matter that needs to be discussed immediately. The ritual greeting ceremony is finished."

The Emperor sat forward in his throne.

"Clear the hall," he demanded.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

407K 17.1K 13
My books are written explicitly for a MATURE AUDIENCE. There will be some instances/scenes/suggestions of sexual acts and will portray gay relations...
1.5M 46.2K 59
A BL fiction about how a boy entered the imperial harem to replace his sister and end up having the Emperor fall for him
3.1K 134 40
In the kingdom of Qiangda, the people live a harmonious life. The imperial family bears the mark of the phoenix, a blessing from the heavens and one...
105K 4.7K 59
Chen Li jie, a well-known criminal died and transmigrated into a soon-to-be-concubine of the cold General Feng Delun. As a straight man himself, he w...