Blind Spots {Fred Weasley}

By Althea_7_

Since going blind at 6 years old, Fiona Diggory has lived in the shadow of her twin brother, Cedric. Now ent... More

Prologue
Blind Spots {Cast}
00.
01.
02.
03.
04.
05.
06.
07.
08.
09.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.
30.
31
32.
33.
34.
35.
36.
37.
38.
39.
41.
42.
43.
44.
45.
46.
47.
48.
49.
50.

40.

16.4K 717 311
By Althea_7_

"Very well! Very well indeed!" Professor Flitwick mirthfully stated as the last student finally placed his quill on the desk beside his exam. With a small wave of his wand the exams levitated from the desks and formed a neatly stacked pile in his outstretched hands. "Have a splendid summer, all of you! And I hope to see you all in your school colors to cheer on our two champions tonight!"

Much to Fiona's surprise, the charms exam was much easier than any of the students had expected. It left a bittersweet taste in her mouth as she walked out of the classroom for the final time that year with Fred at her side. She had only managed an hour of sleep the night before, cramming for an exam that Professor Flitwick had promised was among the most difficult he had ever created. Flitwick, bless his heart, had spent the last two months preparing the students for an exam much more difficult than the one he had ultimately created. His elated squeal as the class finished much faster than the time they had been allotted was proof enough this was by no mistake.

A yawn escaped her while she walked through the corridors accompanied by Fred, George, and Angelina. Heidi had sprinted towards the Hogwarts Grounds after the exam to take her Care of Magical Creatures exam. Malcolm and Alfie had left in search of Cedric, who had been summoned along with the other three Champions during breakfast.

"If I had known the exam would have been that easy I wouldn't have spent so much time studying for the blasted thing," George said in a mock sulk. At his side, Angelina was unable to prevent her eyes from rolling dramatically.

"You two spent a total of five minutes studying for that exam," she scoffed.

"Five minutes we'll never get back," Fred feigned an affronted attitude.

Fiona and the three Gryffindor students lazily roamed the corridors in an attempt to kill off the hours before their final exam; Defense Against the Dark Arts. Their aimless journey eventually led them to the Great Hall, where they decided to get an early start on lunch, and if time allowed, squeeze in a couple of extra minutes of study.

The Great Hall was abuzz with excitement. The chatter coming from the Gryffindor table was only matched by the joyous cries coming from the Hufflepuffs, who seemed determined to outdo the lions in their own game. Wrecked with exhaustion, each celebratory cheer felt like an auditory assault to Fiona.

As the group made their way towards the Gryffindor table Fred and Georges' eyes grew wide, swirling with curiosity and fear. They shared an incredulous look between them before charging towards a stout redheaded woman who sat at the table amongst their siblings.

"What are you doing here?!" Fred demanded as he approached. The woman at the table turned with a warm smile directed at Fred and George. A young man, with the same vibrantly red hair as the woman beside him, also turned.

"Bill?" George gaped as his eyes met the man.

"Is that any way to greet your mother?" Mrs. Weasley huffed at the twins as she stood up to face them. With pursed lips and her hands on her hips, she stared up at her sons. Fred and George suddenly seemed to cower at the short woman before them as they mumbled their apologies.

Mrs. Weasley's castigating manner quickly melted away as she pulled her sons into a hug. She released the two just as their faces were becoming too red to make out their freckles. 

Bill tauntingly ruffled their hair, despite their attempts to swat him away. Seeing this brought an endless amount of joy to Ron, who was seated across from his mother.

Mrs. Weasley's eyes drifted away from Fred and George and fell on Fiona and Angelina. The two were snickering at each other, and Angelina's eyes darted between George and Fiona.

"Angelina, how are you dear?" She warmly asked with her arms outstretched, welcoming Angelina into a hug. Angelina gladly accepted the hug.

"And Fiona, I'm sorry, I didn't see you there!" She said as her eyes suddenly turned to the Hufflepuff.

"Don't worry mum," Fred said with a shrug as a small grin was making its way to his face. "She could say the same to you."

"Fred!" She quickly scolded, only to pause as she noticed Fiona was also grinning.

"Well, never mind that, I hope you've been well," Mrs. Weasley eagerly pulled Fiona into a hug. Fiona, utterly surprised by the sudden contact stumbled bluntly into Mrs. Weasley's embrace.

Fred had noticed Fiona's floundering and was quick to react. He grabbed her upper arm and steadied her in his mother's embrace. "Mum, please," he sternly warned in a low and quiet voice.

Mrs. Weasley suddenly realized her blunder and pulled away from the hug, mortified with her ignorance. "Oh, sweetheart, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to startle you! I'm so sorry."

Fiona meekly smiled, attempting to brush off her embarrassment. She couldn't blame Mrs. Weasley. After all, Fiona was likely the only blind person she knew and couldn't be faulted for a mistake. "It's okay; you just surprised me a little, that's all."

Mrs. Weasley nodded and sympathetically smiled at Fiona. Fred noticed the pitty in his mother's eyes and was overcome with gratitude for the face that Fiona couldn't see it.

"I didn't know you were friends with my boys," Mrs. Weasley said as she carefully guided Fiona onto the bench beside her.

"Oh, they're great friends, mum," Ron snickered before shoveling a spoonful of steak and kidney pudding into his mouth. "Smashing friends," he added with a chuckle. Hermione glanced up from her school book, giving Ron a tired look. Harry, however, chuckled into his palm.

"That's wonderful. Please don't be a stranger this summer; you're always welcome at the Burrow," Mrs. Weasley said. While Ron's innuendo seemed to fly over his mother's head, Bill's eyes shifted between Fred and Fiona with curiosity. Clicking his tongue as the corner of his lips twitched upward.

"I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot of Fiona this summer," Ginna pipped up. Ginny's comment brought a blush to Fiona's face as she shifted in her seat.

Mrs. Weasley glanced over at Fiona with a peculiar expression. The way Fiona and Fred naturally leaned into each other, as if gravity was at work, pulling them closer.

"Oh," she uttered with a realization. A childish grin appeared on her lips with the realization. "And how long has this been going on?" She suddenly leaned over the table to shoot Fred a stern look. "And why is this the first I'm hearing about it, hmm?"

As Fred opened his mouth in his defense Bill cut him off. "Well this makes perfect sense," he said, gaining the attention of the table. "After all, I've always said the only girl to date you would have to be blind."

Mrs. Wealsey was the only one among the group who did not find the humor in Bill's comment. Fiona, however, loved the joke.

"Angelina, I still don't know what your excuse is," Bill added in jest. Angelina grinned broadly at this; both Fred and George grumbled. "Too many bludgers to the head, maybe?"

"You never told us," George started, clearly fed up with the direction this conversation was going. "What're you two doing here anyway?" Fred added to his brother's statement.

"We're here for Harry, of course, to support him during the third task," Mrs. Weasley said, beaming at Harry, who was displaying a hybrid expression of gratitude and discomfort.

While Fiona would not have been the least bit surprised if the Harry Potter had received special treatment in the form of loved ones, she had a suspicion this was not a case of Dumbledore's favoritism.

"Mrs. Weasley, are my parents here for Cedric?" She asked.

"Oh yes, of course! Your father wouldn't miss this for the world," Fiona could hear a slight tinge of resentment in her voice. Fiona had no doubt her father had said something discouraging about Harry to her.

Fiona quickly leapt from her seat, causing a stir amongst the Gryffindor table. "I'm sorry! I need to go," she eagerly announced. She felt a hand gentle hand on her arm, preventing her from departing.

"We'll see you in Defense Against the Dark Arts, yeah?" Fred said before pecking a kiss on her cheek. At the table, Mrs. Weasley cooed excitedly.

With a smile, Fiona nodded and left the table.

Listening to the wave of sounds surrounding her, she navigated her way towards the Hufflepuff table. She kept alert, listening for a familiar voice as she walked toward the table.

At the Hufflepuff table, Malcolm noticed her approaching and notified Cedric. Cedric turned to watch his sister making her way down the table. Excitedly, he jumped from the table to retrieve his sister. "Fiona!" He said before gently grabbing her upper arm. "I have a surprise!"

"I know! Mum and dad!" Fiona squealed, her voice trembled with excitement.

Because neither of the Diggory siblings had gone home over the Christmas holiday, this term had been the longest stretch Fiona had been apart from her parents. They, her mom, in particular, had written to her weekly, but letters were no substitute for the real thing.

"Mum!" She exclaimed as Cedric placed her hand on their mother's shoulder. Anna Diggory spun around instantly and engulfed her daughter in a hug. Amos stood beside them chuckling with his hand placed on Fiona's back. As her mother pulled away, her father quickly swept her into his arms.

"Oh, our little FeeFee," her mother gushed as she guided Fiona into a seat.

"Where have you been? Alfie and Malcolm returned from their exam ages ago," her mother asked as she brushed Fiona's hair behind her ear.

"How were the exams?" Cho asked from across the table.

Fiona was somewhat startled to hear Cho's voice. Cedric had introduced her to their parents, it seemed. "They weren't bad, I think I did really well."

"Well of course you did!" Her father's voice boomed over the students. "We raised two champions, didn't we, Anna?"

Fiona's heart swelled. She loved her parents with all her heart, but they never placed her in the same category as Cedric. This was a new, albeit appreciated, development.

"Fiona, are you using your cane?" Her mother asked while glancing around Fiona. "You really should use it to help you get around the castle, especially when Cedric isn't around to make sure you get around on time."

There it is.

Fiona couldn't help but interpret her mother's words in a condescending way. She knew her mother couldn't possibly mean it that way, but regardless, it irked Fiona more than she cared to admit.

"I use it when I need it," Fiona gritted her response. Cedric's eyes narrowed on Fiona at her lie. For years, Fiona had done almost everything in her powers to avoid using her cane.

"I know you do, honey," Mrs. Diggory cooed. "I just wish you would use it more. I worry about you."

This was the treatment Fiona was more accustomed to. Constant fear and worry for her horribly underprepared daughter.

Much to Fiona's delight, the subject changed as Heidi appeared at the table. Excitement danced around Heidi like a tangible force when she saw Mr. and Mrs. Diggory. The Diggory family had become her window into the wizarding world during the summer holidays. During the summer before their third year, The Diggory family had invited Heidi, her parents, and all of her sisters to their home. It had given Heidi the tools she needed to bridge the cultural gap that had been growing since she had been accepted into Hogwarts. Being able to show her muggle family an important part of her life had meant more to Heidi and her family than she could ever express to any of them.

Fiona could hear hurried footsteps running up to them. She was the first at the table to turn to the small blonde boy in scarlet-trimmed robes.

Colin Creevey stood before the Hufflepuff table with a sheepish smile. He was clutching an old camera that hung around his neck. His grip on the camera grew tighter when his eyes found Cedric.

Cedric returned the boy's excited look with one of confusion. "Umm, Dennis, right?" He finally asked when it became apparent the boy was waiting to be acknowledged.

"Colin, actually, Dennis is my younger brother," the tone in his voice made it clear he hadn't been offended.

"Oh, right, sorry, Colin," Cedric slowly replied. He glanced around the hall. "Is there something I can help you with?"

"Yes! You see," Colin held up his camera over his reddening face. "I was hoping to get a picture of all of the Champions today, would you mind?"

Cedric looked around awkwardly. His eyes landed on Malcolm, who shrugged. Alfie seemed to be holding back laughter but thought better than to embarrass the boy.

"Er, actually I—" Cedric began, only to be interrupted before the statement could finish.

"Not at all, it's a wonderful idea!" Mr. Diggory boomed. "Why don't you get all of them!"

Collin's face lit up while he nodded with gusto. He took a step back to better capture all of the Hufflepuff students. For a moment, they all awkwardly shuffled close together, before surrendering to the awkward nature. In unison, they all burst into giggles, before naturally leaning into each other.

Cho distanced herself from the group, leaning away from the view of the camera. Cedric was quick to pull her back in the fold. "If we have to be in the picture, so do you," he whispered into her ear as his arm wrapped around her waist. His other arm draped across Fiona's shoulder.

Fiona and Heidi huddled close together while Malcolm and Alfie leaned over the table, both wearing childish grins.

"Ready then?" Colin asked as he prepared the angle of the photo.

"Honestly, Fiona, look at the camera, would ya?" Alfie teased as he jabbed Fiona lightly on the shoulder. The group once again burst into giggles as Colin snapped the photo.

"Thanks, Cedric!" Colin blurted out instantly. The picture shot out of the camera like a tongue. He waved it around for a moment before examining it. "It's great! I'll give you a copy once I enchant it!"

"Okay, thanks Colin," Cedric chuckled as the group slowly dispersed from their huddled positions.

"D-do you think you could ask the other champions if I can get one of them as well?" He asked nervously. His wide eyes pleaded to Cedric. Cedric glanced around the room at Fleur and Krum.

"Sure, Colin, I'll ask them."

Colin's grin grew and he thanked the group again before scurrying away toward Harry Potter.

"That'll make a lovely memory," Mrs. Diggory commented as she watched him leave.

"Looks like he had to get the best Champion first. He's got his priorities in order," Mr. Diggory said in a chuffed tone.

"And how was your exam, Heidi? Cedric tells us you're taking Care of Magical Creatures," Mrs. Diggory asked once she noticed the slightly annoyed look on her son's face.

"It was great! It's such an interesting class!" Heidi said as her school bag was dropped under the table.

"You know," Mr. Diggory began. "I might be able to find you an internship in my department this summer, if you're interested, that is."

As Heidi spun her body to face Mr. Diggory her fork dropped to the table with a small clank. "Really? You could do that!?"

"I don't see why not? Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures could use some new faces. And Cedric could use a friendly face in the Ministry this summer," He said with a chuckle and a pointed look at Cedric.

"You're working at the ministry this summer?" Fiona blurted out. Cedric's attention turned to his father, reprovingly.

"Dad," Cedric let out an exhausted sigh. His sigh did more to convey his feelings than words could. "I haven't decided on that yet."

Mr. Diggory's jaw hung open for a moment, but with a quick shake of his head, the surprise was erased. "Nonsense my boy, it's an amazing opportunity. Interning under the minister himself will all but assure you a job in the ministry this time next year."

"I might not want a job in the ministry next summer though," Cedric said. A cloud of tension fell over most of the group. Though, Alfie seemed enamored by the Diggory internal affairs and bounced his sight between the Diggory men, waiting for the rebuttal.

"Don't want a job at the ministry?" Mr. Diggory said in a dismissive tone. "That's absurd. After tonight you'll have the best resume out of Hogwarts in centuries. If you play your cards right we could have another Diggory as the Minister of Magic."

Alfie's head whipped around to Cedric so quickly it seemed as if it would just keep spinning had his spine allowed it.

"Well," Cedric paused while glancing between Heidi and Malcolm. "I was thinking about taking a Grand Tour around the world, with Heidi and Malcolm," Cedric said, not at all seeming intimidated by his father.

A Grand Tour? Fiona thought. She hadn't heard a word of their post-graduation plans until this moment. Her hands twisted the edges of her robes at the reality of her exclusion hung heavy on her shoulders.

"A Grand Tour?" Mr. Diggory incredulously asked. His jaw was becoming stiff as he peered at his son over his gold-rimmed glasses.

"I think that's a wonderful idea," Mrs. Diggory warmly said, though her eyes shifted to her husband. "You enjoyed your Grand Tour after Hogwarts, Amos."

Amos stiffened at his wife's comment. "Things were different then. You can't expect to take a year off and then jump into the workforce nowadays. You need to think about your future, Cedric. You never know if a more eligible candidate will come out while you're traipsing around." Mr. Diggory's eyes betrayed him as they lingered on the Gryffindor table, settling on one messy-haired boy in particular.

"Oh, is that the time?" Heidi awkwardly interrupted. She nudged Fiona and shared a look between Malcolm and Alfie. "I have to go, my Divinations exam will be starting soon."

"We should get to Defense Against the Dark Arts. Moody'll turn us into a ferret if we're late," Malcolm quickly added. Heidi grabbed Fiona's arm and pulled her to her feet.

"Oh! I have my History of Magic exam! I should go too!" Cho said in a rushed voice. She kissed Cedric goodbye and departed from the group.

Her parents wished them all luck on their final exams before the four Hufflepuff students quickly dashed out of the hall.

Once in the corridors, they all relaxed a bit, as if the tension had been suddenly taken from their shoulders.

"We couldn't have gotten out of there any sooner," Heidi whispered to Fiona. Fiona nodded but seemed unable to shake the unease that had settled in her stomach.

She learned her best friend had made plans for a post-graduation trip that didn't include her. In addition to that, her parents seemed rather unconcerned with her career options after Hogwarts. Fiona dispelled the thoughts and chalked them up to exam nerves and exhaustion from the night before.

Having left in a hurry, and well earlier than they needed to, Heidi walked with them to the Defense Against the Dark Arts corridor. As they stood around discussing their summer plans they were approached by Roger Davies.

"Alright, you?" He asked the group before him. His eyes fixated on Fiona for a moment and at the sight of her, a sneer made its way to his face.

"Fiona, it's Ro-"

"I've gathered that, Roger," Fiona moaned. She certainly didn't have the energy to pretend politeness to him on this occasion.

"Right," he said, stepping back to recollect himself. "Seems you had a good talk with Fleur yesterday. You got what you wanted. She wants nothing to do with me," he growled quietly.

Alfie snorted loudly. "Bout time, honestly," he said through a throaty laugh. Roger shot him a cold look and Alfie immediately shifted closer to Malcolm.

"She had a right to know how you treated me, Roger. She's my friend," Fiona said through gritted teeth. Alfie's eyes grew wide as he began whispering questions about this friendship to Malcolm. No doubt already making an elaborate scheme to use this friendship to his own advantage.

"Right," Roger slowly replied. His eyes flashed towards Heidi. Hers narrowed on him, misting with suspicion. "I suppose you'd want your friends to show you the same courtesy then?"

Beside Fiona, Heidi became suddenly very tense. Her dubious gaze on Roger quickly shifted to one of fear.

"Yeah, sure Roger," Fiona said as she turned her body away from the sound of his voice.

"Did you hear that, Heidi?" Roger said as a taunting smirk played on his lips.

"Roger," Heidi warned, her voice sounding more like a growl than human speak at this point.

"Well, go on Heidi, you heard her. She has a right to know, and she wants to know," Roger said as his smug grin only grew larger.

"Heidi...?" Fiona suddenly felt small.

"Tell her about your time with Fred at the end of term party last year."

Authors note
Thank you all so much for reading this chapter! If you like this story please vote or comment, I love hearing from all of you!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

63.2K 1.5K 14
You come back to Hogwarts for your 6th year, but everyone is acting weird especially the Weasley twins. This year was not like the others, that's for...
211K 4.2K 9
Y/N Diggory is Cedric's little sister. You were sorted into Gryffindor and ever since then, you became best friends with the Weasley twins. But what...
10.3K 225 64
"i like you." he says, finally spitting the words out. i stare up at him, he's sweating from his Quidditch match and his hair is sticking to his ski...
324K 6.4K 35
UNFINISHED STORY, ON HIATUS - MARKED AS COMPLETED 25/07/2023. 18+ 𝙧𝙚𝙖𝙙𝙚𝙧𝙨 𝙤𝙣𝙡𝙮. 𝙢𝙖𝙩𝙪𝙧𝙚 𝙨𝙚𝙭𝙪𝙖𝙡 𝙘𝙤𝙣𝙩𝙚𝙣𝙩. 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘢 𝘴𝘭𝘰...