The Things We Do

By DonaldUzoka

After two suicide attempts, Zehan returns to school seeking revenge on his former best friends who had accuse... More

THE THINGS WE DO
PLAYLIST
ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
NINE
TEN
ELEVEN
TWELVE
THIRTEEN
FOURTEEN
FIFTEEN
SIXTEEN
SEVENTEEN
EIGHTEEN
NINETEEN
TWENTY
TWENTY ONE
TWENTY TWO
PART II: TARI & AHMED
TWENTY THREE
TWENTY FOUR
TWENTY FIVE
PART III: AMIRA & TIMI
TWENTY SIX
TWENTY SEVEN
TWENTY EIGHT
PART IV: ENOCK & TAMARA
TWENTY NINE
THIRTY
THIRTY ONE
THIRTY TWO
READ THIS
PART V: KASY & DELE
THIRTY THREE
THIRTY FOUR
THIRTY FIVE
THIRTY SIX
THIRTY SEVEN
THIRTY EIGHT
THIRTY NINE
FORTY
PART VI: ADAM & SOLA
FORTY ONE
FORTY TWO
FORTY THREE
FORTY FOUR
FORTY FIVE
FORTY SEVEN

FORTY SIX

510 161 42
By DonaldUzoka

As children, we sometimes wondered why the devil couldn't just repent and ask God for forgiveness. Why did he choose to remain in hell, looking for people who he'd drag down there to spend eternity with him?

Was he that miserable? Maybe.

But personally, I think this says a lot about our own story.

◈ ━━━━━━━ ⸙ - ⸙ ━━━━━━━ ◈

Adam sat at the edge of his bed in the dark room, his phone screen being the only source of light. He stared down at the incoming call from the unknown number, mentally debating on whether to answer or not. He knew who was calling but he didn't know what to expect if he ended up picking up the call.

Before Adam could make a decision, the door swung open and Zehan walked in, only just returning from the stadium. Adam didn't spend up to three seconds holding eye contact with him.

Adam's phone stopped ringing just as Zehan sighed, closing the door behind him.

"Are you going to the party?" Zehan asked.

Adam ignored the question, climbing into his bed and lying on it and facing the wall, turning his back to Zehan.

"What is your problem exactly?" Zehan asked, now sounding frustrated and tired. "What exactly do you want me to do? I should just sit around after Kasy and Dele ruined my life? That's what you want?"

Adam didn't move an inch. He stared at the wall in front of him while Zehan spoke to his back. It was obvious that Zehan was still very far from feeling sorry for what he did. And Adam didn't know why he hadn't told Kasy anything yet but after the ridiculous day—and Newland's losses—everyone was tired. Adam just wanted to get some sleep before the party.

"You don't know how it feels. You don't know what I had to go through. You have no idea what it's like to be blamed for something you didn't do," he went on, "But I'm not even asking for your sympathy or whatever. I'm just asking you to put yourself in my shoes and tell me you wouldn't take revenge on the people who are responsible for tearing your family apart."

Adam shut his eyes, willing himself not to say anything. He exhaled as Zehan seemed to have given up on his ranting.

"You know what... Fuck this," Zehan mumbled, walking to the door.  "Y'all can fuck yourself." He stormed out, making sure to slam the door.

Before Adam could comprehend what had just happened, his phone began ringing again. Adam turned around and grabbed it from the bedside table.

It was still that same unknown number calling. Except it wasn't really ‘unknown’ since he knew who it was.

Adam had lied to CJ when he asked if all he'd discussed with Kaniru boys was concerning their offer to ‘take care of’ Ahmed. Asides that, they'd given Adam the phone number of a guy called Tega who happened to live in Newland Estate. Adam had no idea how these Castron High boys knew this Tega person but they'd said that if Adam got in contact with him, he would be able to help him. Tega could do whatever Adam would need the Kaniru boys to do. Like ‘taking care of’ Ahmed if he ever decided to.

Adam hadn't saved Tega's number yet and this number calling him now matched it. It had to be the Tega guy. He didn't know why they would give him his number.

"Hello?" Adam now had the phone pressed against his ear. He might as well get the whole thing over and done with.

• • •

Sola's room was a mess. She, Annika and the two other girls they shared the room with were struggling between getting ready for the party and packing their bags in preparation to leave early the following day.

"It feels like it was just yesterday we came here," Sola said, trying to zip up the only bag she'd come with.

Annika stood in front of the only mirror in the room, applying lip gloss. Her hair was out and falling over her shoulder. It was unusual to see Annika's afro like that since it was always up in a tight ponytail. Sola figured she'd want to do something different with it for tonight. "Honestly, I can't wait to go. For me, it was all weeks of preparation and practice. And we still lost."

"We don't know that yet," said Sola.

Annika scoffed, putting down the lipgloss.  "Everybody knows we lost. Unless some sort of miracle happens."

"Well… winning is not everything. We had fun. And most of us are still getting medals."

"What do I do with my hair?" Annika suddenly asked, touching her hair which was everywhere. They were the only ones in the room since the other girls went to another room to get ready with their friends.

"Your hair is a hassle, babe. I wouldn't know what to do with it either." Sola sighed, knowing how difficult it was to style Annika's hair, you couldn't even hold it all with one hand.

"You know what, I'll just do a low bun. That should go with my formal wear." Annika was wearing a red silk dinner gown. It hugged her frame perfectly and her shoulders and sharp collar bones were in full display since the dress had no sleeves, just a strap. Sola was in a white jumpsuit.

"Did you come with heels?"

"You know I don't wear heels," Annika replied. Sola knew Annika claimed heels made her feel like she would topple over in them and Sola figured it was because Annika was a little too tall for a girl. But Sola needed heels for her jumpsuit, she regretted bringing flats instead.

Someone knocked on the door and since Annika was still dealing with her hair, Sola abandoned zipping up her bag and went to get the door. It was Enock.

"Hey, beautiful," he smiled, looking cheerful.  "You look stunning, no cap."

Sola blushed freely, knowing her dark skin wouldn't expose her. "Thank you."

"Are you guys done?" Enock asked just as Sola left the door for him to come in.

"Not yet," Annika replied, turning to look at Enock. He was wearing a white hoodie and ripped black jeans. "I'm confused. Is this a casual thing or a formal thing?" She directed the question at no one in particular.

Enock and Sola exchanged amused looks. There was no need to respond to Annika's question because the girl didn't do casual. She would've still dressed formally even if it was strictly a casual party.

"Dele is wearing a shirt sha," Enock said instead, hoping it'll be any consolation. He turned to Sola who he'd come for. "Can I talk to you outside?"

Sola turned Annika who was now doing her bun. "I'll be right back." And she walked out with Enock. She closed the door behind her and turned to see Enock pulling something out of his pocket. They were standing in the hallway.

"I think it's been a while since I bought you a gift, so…" He revealed the necklace he'd gotten her.  "I got it before we came here. I was waiting for the perfect time to give it to you. I decided it's now or never."

Sola couldn't even speak as she took the necklace to inspect it. She didn't know what to say. It was a beautiful necklace with her name in the middle, obviously customized.

"Lemme help you put it on." He took it from and she turned her back to him, his breath fanning against the back of her neck as he put it on.

"It's… it's really beautiful. Thank you," she finally said, playing with her name carved out in gold.

"I'm still a romantic guy," Sola rolled her eyes as he said that, "it's just that a lot has been happening lately and it seems like we—" Enock was interrupted by his girlfriend's lips crashing on his. He smiled into the kiss, wondering why he hadn't expected it. It was so like Sola to shut him up like that.

They were both comfortable as Sola rested on the door, her hands around Enock's neck and his hands on her waist. They kissed, lost in the moment, losing track of time. Nothing else mattered at that moment.

The door suddenly swung open from inside and Sola found herself falling backwards with Enock on top of her, oblivious to what was happening. Annika stepped out of the way as the couple came crashing down before. She was confused.

Sola and Enock groaned, expressing how painful the fall was. They looked up at Annika who was still standing over them, raising an eyebrow and widening eyes that were now framed with eyeliner.

"What were you guys doing?" Annika asked.

"Annika you no work, I swear," Enock mumbled, getting up to make sure he hadn't wounded his girlfriend.

"If you guys are ready, let's get going." Annika smirked, finally getting an idea of what they must've been doing.

• • •

Dele, Ahmed and Enock had gotten their phones delivered back to them through the empty waste bin outside their room. They couldn't even complain much, feeling thankful that at least they'd gotten it back. They discussed and tried guessing who could've taken it with Sola and Annika while making their way to the event hall where the ceremony was going to be held. Their best guess was CJ but they didn't have proof. And they had their doubts too because when had CJ ever stolen and then returned it afterwards?

It looked like most of the other students were heading to the ceremony at the same time so the hallway leading to the hall was crowded. They walked in groups, most of them talking about how they'd lost only because that Castron High girl put something in her cupcake to make them high. Ahmed and Sola found it hard to believe that was the case. It had something to do with what they'd asked CJ to do but CJ was nowhere to be found. They needed to ask him what happened.

Enock turned away from Sola, who he was talking to after he was stepped on by the person in front of him. He angrily shoved the guy. "Bro, watch where you're going. Are you going forward or backwards."

The guy turned around and they realized it was Charles Elias. Charles looked from Enock to his friends who were now all looking at him, waiting for an apology of some sort for stepping on Enock's white sneakers. The whole place had now been extremely congested and no one was moving. It was basically human traffic.

"What's funny?" Sola asked Charles who was now smiling mischievously. Dele looked like he was ready to hear him up.

They all kept waiting for him to say something.

"Oga, sorry no dey your dictionary?" Ahmed asked this time around, irritated.

Sola noticed as Charles sized Ahmed up, sent a glare to Dele and eyed Enock before he muttered under his breath, "Rapists." And he disappeared into the crowd afterwards. Sola also watched the guys go pale and freeze.

"What's up with that guy?" Annika asked. "What did he mean by that? Is something wrong with him? Who's he again?"

"Charles. Principal Elias' son," Sola explained.

"The one caught with drugs?" Annika asked, "Why did they even let him come back to school again?"

"Principal's son," Enock said, answering Annika's question as they continued walking. "That guy is a fool. Since he came back he's been behaving like someone who got out of a psychiatric hospital."

"He's been hanging around Zehan, I'm not surprised," Dele said, his voice mellow with an indescribable look in his eyes. "Let's just ignore him."

Sola observed the guys. They looked like they'd seen a ghost after Charles had said what he'd said. Ahmed of all people hadn't even uttered a word.

• • •

Adam had his entwined with Kasy's so she wouldn't escape. He and Tari had successfully managed to convince her to come to the party. Asides the embarrassment from the whole Casper and nudes fiesta, she was now feeling ashamed of herself after Adam had told her what she did during the football game earlier that day. She'd always thought Dele had a big butt but never did she plan on saying it out loud.

Adam was just happy and relieved no one was high anymore and they would finally be going home the next day.

"Kasy, come and snap me," Tari said as soon as they entered the hall, making Kasy groan and roll her eyes.

"Can't someone else do it? I don't know how to take pictures," Kasy yelled over the loud Rema song blaring from the speakers.

"Lemme find someone else then. I need Instagram worthy pics." Tari walked off, her blue shiny knee-length dress stranding out in the crowd.

"Let's find somewhere to sit, please," said Kasy as she started pulling Adam towards the far end of the hall where seats were lined up.

One of the Nero officials—the short and cheerful man who usually made the announcements—got on the stage, the music turned down as he began speaking. He asked everyone to take their seats and they'd begin immediately.

The Castron High male and female basketball players were called on stage all at once and they received their gold medals. The lawn tennis players were up next. The Newland lawn tennis team—Adam and Amira included—got the medals. They would shake hands, smiling as the camera flashes.

The races were the only category where silver and bronze medals were awarded for second and third places respectively. Kasy managed to end up with a bronze. Annika and Amira some silvers, the twins from Castron High had a lot of gold.

Zehan had to be the only person called on stage more than seven times in Newland. The gold medals on his neck were dangling and colliding with each other, making a sound as he walked. People like Ivandor Fejaun, Marcus Acha and other ballers had just as many medals on them as well.

Dele and Ahmed had a gold medal and two silvers. Enock ended up with a bronze and two silvers. Timi had one silver. Tari had three bronze medals. Sola had just one gold.

As soon as they were done awarding the medals, it was time to present the trophy to the winning school. Everyone already knew which school would win but the officials still went through the scores again as cameras flashed and everyone seemed to hold their breath. Listening to the scores, Newland realized how badly they'd messed up.

"...And with that, this brings Castron High to a total of…" the official paused, purposely creating the tension in the room. He could see some people shutting their eyes and pressing their hands together, mumbling prayers.

"Castron High has a total of 312 points!" He yelled, causing an uproar from the CH students even when they hadn't been declared the winners yet.

"On the other hand..." He trailed as the noise died down. "Newland Secondary has a total of…" he stopped talking, looking down at the paper in his hands. Whatever would come out of his mouth next would be the determining factor.

"We can still leave now with our dignity," Tari mumbled to Kasy and Adam next to her.

Hearts were beating. People were sweating, saying prayers.

The man with the mic looked down at the paper again and smiled, turning to the Newland students on one side and then the Castron High students on the other side.

"Newland Secondary…"

Silence.

Silence.

"Newland Secondary… Has a total of…" he stopped talking again, enjoying the torture.

Silence.

Silence.

Silence.

Silence.

Silence.

Silence.

"Ogbeni, talk something joor!" Someone from Newland Secondary yelled. Everyone turned to see Ahmed glaring at the man on stage.

The man awkwardly cleared his throat and looked down at the paper again.

"Newland Secondary…" he trailed, "Has a total of… two hundred and fifty six points making Castron High the winners of this year's Nero Sports Olympics!"

There was chaos. Castron High students were screaming like there was an earthquake, and with the way the hall was vibrating, there might as well have been one. They screamed as confetti poured down everywhere, nearly drowning the Newland students who stood frozen as Castron ran up the stage to grab their gigantic trophy.

One of the CH students must've asked the DJ to stop playing Stand Up For The Champion and start playing Doja Cat's Vegas.

You ain't nothin' buta..
Dog, player, I get it
Fraud, player, I get it…

CH students chanted the song as they took turns carrying the trophy, jumping around, most of them even holding up their phones, making videos and going live.

Most Newland students started leaving the hall, wondering why they had even stayed that long to witness that.

Annika stood rooted to the ground. She hadn't even moved since Castron High were related winners and Dele started getting worried. He cautiously removed the confetti on her face as he asked if she was okay.

She turned to him, still not blinking. "Two fifty six points against over three hundred points… No, I'm not okay. We never stood a chance, did we?"

Dele sighed, shrugging hopelessly. He didn't know what to say to her.

"What has happened has happened," Sola pitched in. "Now, let's go and get that velvet cake before they finish it." She said to Enock, pulling him along.

"After wetin happen this morning una still won eat cake. God forbid," Ahmed said, but he was running after them.

"Attention! Attention! Attention!" Another official was on stage again, talking into the mic. "Please we would like the sports prefects from both schools to come up to the stage," the classy looking woman said when CH paused their celebration to listen. She looked down at the paper she was holding. "Ivandor Fejaun from Castron High School. Zehan Essien from Newland Secondary School."

Ivandor Fejaun was the first to ascend the stage. No one could really guess why they wanted the sports prefects on stage but it could only be something good.

Zehan took his time getting on stage. He was wearing a black button down shorts and black shorts to match.

"This year, the Nero Sports Olympics wanted to appreciate the sport prefects from both the participating schools." The woman smiled before walking over to the table where the officials were seated and picked up two large white envelopes while another official grabbed two white boxes. "We most times overlook the importance of our sport prefects and we fail to see all the work they are doing."

She walked over to Zehan and Ivandor, handing them an envelope each. "We decided to reward the sports prefects this year with unlimited access and membership to the GetFit gym and fitness center here in Abuja and Lagos." The crowd cheered, knowing GetFit was one of the best gyms in the country.

The boxes the size of birthday cake boxes were handed to them as well. "Inside the boxes you'll find a pair of brand new sneakers. But most importantly, there's also a customized Nero Company hoodie which is your first gift as you are both now our ambassadors." 

Everybody lost it. The crowd seemed even more excited than Zehan and Ivandor. Zehan couldn't even bring himself to understand what was really happening and what he'd done to deserve this.

All the officials came over to shake their hands with wide grins on their faces as they mumbled their congratulations. Ivandor shook Zehan's hand too, congratulating him.

Zehan could see why they would want Ivandor as an ambassador. He was fit, he had the looks of a super model and probably had thousands of followers on social media. But Zehan? He was barely anybody or anything.

It seemed others didn't partake in Zehan's belief because everyone was jumping on him, cheering and congratulating him. If any, he was glad to have given Newland a reason to celebrate.

Sugarcane (Remix) by Camidoh, Mayorkun, etc was playing now. Kendrick and Ms. Isong looked happy for the first time that evening as they congratulated him. Zehan's thoughts were all over the place as his classmates were nearly tearing the box open to see the sneakers and hoodie.

Out of nowhere, Annika embraced Zehan in a tight hug but only for a second. "I'm really happy for you. You deserved it, honestly. Even though we didn't win, we did what we were able to do because of you." She had a small smile on her face and Zehan knew she must've really been happy to have hugged him. He returned the smile, nodding. He could see Dele standing behind Annika, a neutral look on his face.

Kasy had approached Zehan to congratulate him and he wished she wouldn't. Her feeling sorry or happy for him only made him feel what he didn't want to feel. He felt better when she used to avoid him.

"You really deserved—"

"It was me," Zehan cut her off, breathing unsteady as he watched Kasy's face contort into a frown. Different colours of lights flashed on their faces and illuminated the dark hall. It now looked like a club.

"It was you…" Kasy trailed, confused.

Zehan opened his mouth and closed it, not knowing what he was doing. Did he really want to confess to impersonating Casper Bassey and cat fishing Kasy just to get her nudes and leak it? That would finally give Mrs. Elias a reason to expel him. Mr. Kanayo could even have him behind bars with a snap of his fingers and his parents… they would finally make disowning him official.

If he was going to confess, he wouldn't involve the Igbo Sister who had helped him. He would say he got the pictures and the info about Casper himself.

And what about Dele? If he confessed, did that mean he was dropping the whole thing. Did he really want to make Dele suffer the way he did with Kasy? Yes, he did. With Kasy, he believed it was the feelings he used to have for her that's getting in the way. But with Dele… if anything he hated Dele even more for being Kasy's knight in shining armor. Although she needed one after what he'd done.

"I just—" Zehan was interrupted when the music was turned down and someone was speaking over the mic.

"Can I have everyone's attention, please?" Everyone turned to the stage to see Casper with the mic. Zehan turned to look at Kasy who was next to him. She seemed interested in whatever Casper was about to say. He looked away.

"As this is our last day here," he started, smiling like he'd won a lottery. Kasy thought he looked very confident up there. "I wanted to use the opportunity to address Newland—"

"Boo!" Tari yelled from the crowd, giving Casper a thumbs down. A few of her classmates joined in.

"Wait, hold on…" said Casper but the noise only got worse. "I wanted to apologize to Newland Secondary School for the misunderstanding on Tuesday." As soon as he'd said that, the noise died down and he continued. "I just wanted to make sure things ended on good terms and there were no hard feelings. I'm sorry that things got out of hand and I'm sorry for everything that went down. I didn't post those pictures and we had nothing to do with…drugging you guys today."

The noise from both schools started again as everyone had something to say.

"Anywayyy…" Casper said over the noise. "I heard there's karaoke. And yes, I'm going to sing. Sorry to break your heart, ladies but I'm about to sing specially for only one girl in the room."

The room dropped silent for a while as they took in what he'd just said. 

"Kasy," Casper said and Kasy now realized he was looking at her, smiling. "This song is for you. Hopefully, you'll believe me when I say you're amazing just the way you are."

Heads turned to look at Kasy as the beat to Bruno Mars' hit song, Just the Way You Are, started playing.

The crowd went wild with "aww" and Kasy's only wish was to disappear into thin air. Her heart threatened to jump out of her chest with the looks people were giving her. Phones were already in the air as Casper started singing:

Oh, her eyes, her eyes
Make the stars look like they're not shinin'
Her hair, her hair
Falls perfectly without her tryin'
She's so beautiful and I tell her everyday

Screams and cheers went up on hearing Casper sing. His voice was smooth and soothing. Saying he sounded like an angel wouldn't be an overstatement. Kasy on the other hand was at the verge of an anxiety attack. Why was he embarrassing her like that?

Yeah, I know, I know
When I compliment her, she won't believe me
And it's so, it's so
Sad to think that she don't see what I see
But every time she asks me, "Do I look okay?"
I say

Casper descended the stage now and the crowd parted and made way as he approached Kasy. The scene was straight out of High School Musical and a lot of people were either recording it or going live on Instagram. The CH ballers were chanting Casper's name like they were getting paid to do it.

When I see your face
There's not a thing that I would change
'Cause you're amazing
Just the way you are
And when you smile
The whole world stops and stares for a while
'Cause girl, you're amazing
Just the way you are

Kasy froze, looking at Casper. Soon they were in a big circle alone formed by their cheering classmates. Casper sang like he meant every word and Kasy realized that he probably did.

"God when oo?!" Girls like Tari were screaming, holding up their phones to capture everything.

"Am I a potato?!"

"Me sef I go love o!"

"The pressure is getting worserrr!"

Kasy was given a chair and she sat like a frozen fish. At this point she couldn't even look the boy who was serenading her in the eye.

She found herself smiling soon enough.

Yeah
Her lips, her lips
I could kiss them all day if she'd let me
Her laugh, her laugh
She hates, but I think it's so sexy
She's so beautiful and I tell her everyday
Oh, you know, you know
You know I'd never ask you to change
If perfect's what you're searchin' for, then just stay the same
So don't even bother askin' if you look okay
You know I'll say
When I see your face
There's not a thing that I would change
'Cause you're amazing
Just the way you are
And when you smile
The whole world stops and stares for a while
'Cause girl, you're amazing
Just the way you are

Most people joined in, singing off key like their lives depended on it but Casper's voice dominated.

The way you are
The way you are
Girl, you're amazing
Just the way you are
When I see your face
There's not a thing that I would change
'Cause you're amazing
Just the way you are
And when you smile
The whole world stops and stares for a while
'Cause girl, you're amazing
Just the way you are
Yeah

Jaws dropped as Casper ended the song with riffs and runs. His vocals were really impressive and from the way the girls were screaming like he was Justin Bieber, an earthquake would happen anytime soon.

The room erupted in applause. If Newland students hated Casper before, they definitely worshiped him now.

The noise was so much but Kasy heard Casper saying, "You're beautiful, Kasy. You're amazing just the way you are and don't let anyone tell you otherwise."

Kasy only noticed the tears in her eyes when she brought her hands up to wipe them. She got up from the chair and jumped on Casper, wrapping her arms around him. He hugged her back.

People couldn't get enough of it, the screams were much more deafening and Kasy's heart was beating like there was no tomorrow.

"Thank you," she mumbled to Casper, not letting go yet.

"You're welcome."

I'll leave the long author's note for the next chapter but tell me what you think about... everything.

Did you expect Casper to do what he did for Kasy?

And what do you think Charles was talking when he called them rapists?

Do you think Zehan will actually confess?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

168 24 78
Zayden is dead and the world isn't the same without him. Two grieving souls but they aren't the only ones broken. One shuts everyone out in the nam...
12K 1.4K 19
[EXCERPT] ⭐ PUBLISHED BY PABPUB, JANUARY 2021 ⭐PHOENIX QUILL 2020 FIRST RUNNER UP ⭐FEATURED ON AMBASSADORSNG & NA READING LIST A young music star mee...
544 105 35
Money, wealth, fame, power, these teens have all you could ever want, but all that glitters Is not good. **** What would you do if you found out you...
979 39 3
What if you committed suicide one day. After just one horrible day that set you off. You know, the bullies and the mean classmates who want to help b...