A Storm of Flames and Deceit

By yourlocalsag

Nephele Speirling is the only daughter of Hybern's Grand General, the most powerful man on the isle and the s... More

Prologue
I. Full
II. Easy Trade
III. Corruption
IV. Satisfied
V. Quite the Impression
VI. Top of the World
VII. I Hope I'm Right
VIII. Bon Voyage
IX. Just the Mystery
X. Bitterly
XI. Death is a Woman
XII. Sunnier
XIII. Good Taste
Intermission
XIIV. Head in the Clouds
XIV. Contingency
XV. Instinct and Desire
XVI. Pull Me In
XVII. Liberation
XVIII. Only Snow
XIX. Put It On My Tab
XX. You Can't Script This
XXI. Walk Across the Sky
XXII. Grounded in Reality
XXIII. Electrical Fire
XXIV. With What Is Unsaid
XXV. On Fire For You
XXVI. There Are Lights
XXVII. Splitting
XXVIII. Queen Mongering
XXIX. Thawed
Intetmission
XXX. Oasis
XXXI. I Refuse
XXXII. Horizon
XXXIII. Reversion
XXXIV. Get Even
XXXV. I'm Not Afraid of the Fight
XXXVI. Sweeter Tomorrow
XXXVII. Smile Like a Saint
XXXVIII. True Magic
XXXIX. Tranquility
XXXX. Altared
XXXXI. Of Course, It Was an Act
XXXXII. Home
XXXXIII. Substantiation
XXXXIV. When the Day Comes
XXXXV. A Bit of Truth
XXXXVI. Sweet as Poison
XXXXVII. Compromise
XXXXVIII. Sweet Dreams
XXXXIX. Burn the Throne
XXXXX. Sooner
XXXXXI. Locking Me Out
Intermission
Part II
Prologue
1. Blind Sided
2. As Good A Time As Any
3. In a Heartbeat
4. More Than Just a Bond
5. Separation Anxiety
7. Sweeping Silence
8. In Ordinance
9. Under the Blood Moon
10. You're the Sun
11. Even When I Want to Hate You
12. Such Conversation
13. Annotations
14. You Cannot Force the Stars to Align
15. A Weak Woman
16. Kid in Love
17. Zoned Out
18. From the Commotion
19. Albeit Passionate
20. As We March On
21. A Fighting Chance
22. Lose This Crowd
23. The Role
24. Good Deeds
25. Bad Things
26. Payment Enough
27. To Conquer
28. Eternal Flame
29. Shackled
30. Not Caring
31. Like We'll Never Have Sex
32. Damned Day
33. Painless
34. There Was An Oracle
35. Save For Eternity
36. The Price
37. Counting Down the Days
38. Gilded Goodnight
39. Blind Sided
40. Prints
41. Skull Crushing
42. Sympathies
43. Past Deceit
44. Firestorm
45. My Nephele
46. Clear
47. Lightning Itself
48. Storm Inside
49. Heart of Diamond
50. Beauty in Strength
Aesthetics Check
51. Mannerless
52. Bespelled
53. Lightning Bugs
54. In Vain
55. Lawless Island
56. Branded
57. Between the Three of Us
58. Fire and Rain
59. Mud Washes Away
60. Long Live
Epilogue
Ending Note

6. Unstoppable

837 41 2
By yourlocalsag

Eris

I'm not sure what time it is when she winnows home, but I know I'm nearly asleep on my pile of papers in the living room when she snaps in, startling me awake. She squints in the darkness. "Eris?" She slurs, swaying a bit on her feet.

I frown, slipping to my feet. "You're drunk?"

She doesn't answer, still looking me over, glancing at the papers scattered across the sofa, the bleary look in my eyes. "You stayed up for me?"

It's answer enough. She is drunk, but I'm glad she had fun. The smile on her face tells me enough. "Of course, I did," I yawn, raking my fingers through my hair. Like I could go to bed without knowing she got home safe. "We should get you to bed." I hold out a guiding hand which she promptly ignores, wrapping her arm around my neck, leaning her head on my shoulder.

"Lead the way, Hot Stuff," she says astutely, drawing a laugh from my lips. I missed her condescending nicknames.

"So you had fun then?" I ask, leading her towards her room. She nods eagerly.

"They're all so sexy and badass," she muses woefully. "But don't worry, Eris. I didn't flirt with them. I'm a loyal woman." Shes teasing, but it still warms my soul so much that I smile at my feet.

"Good," I reply to her because she won't remember this tomorrow. "I don't know what I would do if you finally got smart and realized you deserve better than me."

She steals my glasses, sliding them clumsily onto our face. "Do I look smart now?" She slurs cutely, batting her lashes in attempts to see out of the frames.

"Incredibly smart," I murmur, watching her straighten them over her pointed ears, an adorable look of concentration on her face.

"You won't let me walk into a wall, right?" She asks.

"Of course I won't," I reply, tucking her hair behind her ear as I guide her into her room.

"Good," she grins. "Because I can't see anything with these on."

I laugh, taking them back, slipping them into my pocket. "You ready for bed?"

She shakes her head. "No," she pouts, sitting on the edge of her bed. "Stay up and talk to me. I don't want to go to sleep."

I know she is only willing to talk to me because she's too drunk to be mad, but still, I sit, keeping a distance between us that she quickly closes, scooting closer. "I stayed for dinner and drinks with the Valkyries," she admits. "I think I might've drank a little too much."

I chuckle quietly. "I couldn't tell."

"Good," she nods seriously. "I wouldn't want you to think I'm irresponsible."

"Anytime you want to let go," I tell her, even though she won't remember it. "Know that I've got you."

She smiles, laying her head dramatically in my lap, startling me with the contact. With the seconds, I melt into her as she looks up at me. "You have really pretty hair," she smiles, playing with a strand that has fallen over my brow. "Have I ever told you that?"

"No," I chuckle. "And I doubt you'll remember telling me come morning."

"You'll remember," she points out, playing with the rings on my fingers, draping my hand over her waist.

"I will," I reply distantly.

"I'm going to be mortified," she whines. "At least I won't wake up butt naked and covered in glitter though."

"What?"

"Long story," she chuckles shutting her eyes as she smiles, still playing with my fingers. "Can I ask you something?"

"Anything," I reply, meaning it.

"Do you think my father will come for me?" She asks quietly, biting her lip nervously.

I hesitate before reaching out to stroke her cheek comfortingly, her burrowing into my touch. "He might," I answer honestly. "I can't promise you'll never see him again."

"I want to see him again," she answers, rolling her head to the side into my palm. "I want vengeance."

"You'll have it," I vow. "Even if you never see him again- which I sadly doubt- every day you live the life he robbed you of, you take revenge."

"You think so?" She smiles softly into my hand.

"I know so," I reply, watching her lashes fan angelically across her wine flushed cheeks. "Nephele?"

She does reply, already asleep against my thigh, mumbling softly with a smile on her lips.

...

If Nephele remembers anything the next morning, she doesn't say anything as she walks into the kitchen, fresh out of a bath, rubbing her eyes. I silently pass her a glass of water, not looking up from my paperwork when she thanks me.

"What's that?" She asks groggily, leaning over my shoulder, her lavender sweet scent hitting me like an afternoon rain shower. I clear my throat.

"Expense report on the military camps," I tell her. "They're ready to be moved back into their original camps from the militia sights they were occupying, but the cost of doing it discreetly might take a dent out of our budget considering I dropped the taxes on low income citizens."

"I assume your father kept them nice and high for the poor, making sure the rich didn't have to dig into those deep pockets of theirs?" She sets her glass of water down, still standing so close its maddening.

I nod. "Yeah, the rich aren't too happy with me these days," I shrug.

"Must be doing something right then," she chuckles, picking up the paper. "Why all the discretion? I'm sure there's plenty of reasons- but why?"

"Moving an army draws a lot of attention," I reply. "To other courts- even allies- it garners concern. To nobles, it raises the question why I had so many men in hiding. Makes it look like my father's death was pre meditated."

"Nobody likes premeditated," she agrees. "Self defense is much more comforting in a High Lord."

I smile wryly. "Yes, I suppose," I laugh quietly. "And there are certain enemies- domestic and abroad- that I still worry over intercepting our men."

"Domestic," she turns the word over on her lips, sitting on the counter beside me. "You mean your brothers."

I nod. "I don't think they're stupid or influential enough to do anything," I reply. "But if they played their cards right, they could be a real pain in my ass if they bargained for protection with the nobles. I'm sure they hate slumming it in hiding anyway. I don't believe this is the last we'll see of them."

She frowns, resting her face in her hand. "What?" I ask.

"Something happened yesterday," she tells me quietly as if she only just remembered. "At the Night Court."

"What?" I grit out. If someone hurt her...

"Nobody hurt me- if that's what you're thinking," she seems to answer my thoughts. "I just..."

"What?" I ask softly.

"What do you know about the house of wind? About its wards?" She asks me, directing her attention to my gaze.

"I know that it's wards are as ancient as any palace," I reply. "More ancient than anyone really knows. It has always been that way just as other buildings that are sacred to the land. It's power exists in pertinence to its High Lord. So long as he or she lives, the wards cannot be broken or overstepped."

She smiles awkwardly, scratching the back of her neck. "I may have overstepped," she mumbles.

I blink. "Overstepped what?" I ask dumbly.

"The wards," she tells me. "Unless Rhysand is dead- which I seriously doubt- I somehow winnowed through the wards without even feeling it."

I blink again, trying to understand if I'm hearing her right. She buries her face in her hands. "Say something," she begs.

"Even Rhys himself can't winnow through those wards," I mumble uselessly.

"That's what Cress said when she informed me I wasn't supposed to be able to do that," she brushes her hair back from her face, distressed. I wish I could reach out a soothing hand to her, but I know it wouldn't be received well.

"Who all knows that you did this?" I ask.

"Just Cress," she tells me. "I convinced the others that I took the stairs. They seemed to believe it when I implied that there was simply no other way I could've gotten us there."

"Good," I reply. "They can't know."

"Why?" She whispers. "What's wrong with me Eris? I'm not supposed to be able to do that."

"Nothing is wrong with you, Sweetheart," I say, taking her hand then. To my surprise, she lets me. "You're stronger than the others. Even stronger than Rhysand and Feyre. It makes you threatening. I want them to be afraid of you, but I don't want them to fear you."

"Do you fear me?" She asks quietly.

"Absolutely," I reply in an instant. "But not in the way they would. What you can do doesn't scare me. If I'm being honest, I've had theories about you for a while."

"Theories?" She echoes.

I nod. "On our wedding night, on the night my father died, you were injected with faebane," I explain. "But the effects only lasted you less than a day each time. On a fae triple your size it would last at minimum four days."

"Was I just born different?" She asks, appalled.

"Yes and no," I reply. "Of course you were born powerful because of your mother's lineage- but I think this resistance is less by nature and more by nurture."

She frowns. "I don't follow."

"You spent most of your life powerless- in a state of weakness. Faebane literally lines your veins to this day," I trace my fingers along her lavender tinted veins, her skin tingling with electricity beneath my finger. "You lived in a cellar that was warded like a vault for two centuries, and now, you're in the world: unbound and more powerful than ever."

"What are you saying Eris?"

"I think your body has become resistant to limitation," I tell her, meeting her storming gaze. "I think a day will come when faebane and wards cannot stop you from your vengeance. You took in so much faebane that you are becoming immune. You lived in wards so long that you are beginning to exist around them," I tell her, mystified with the woman in front of me for all the strength that she has, tangible and intangible. "I think you are slowly becoming unstoppable."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

83.1K 3K 25
Auroria of House Vanserra has much more in common with Azriel, the Spymaster of the Night Court, than she could have thought - than either of them wo...
159K 5.9K 77
Born into the cut-throat Autumn Court, Eris Vanserra had been surrounded by monsters his entire life and spent most of his time scheming for the crow...
107K 3.1K 31
This takes place after ACOWAR (Characters belong to Sarah J Maas) Azriel x OC ----‐--------------------------------------------------- Prythian is in...
5.6K 181 21
Nyx, now 27 years old, opened a portal to another world. And met Amber, a human girl with no knowledge of the Fae World. A deep friendship is the res...