A Funny Thing Happened During...

By thismustbefakeme

"He dropped into my life with a literal BANG. There I was minding my business, bussing tables in the coffee... More

i.
ii.
iii.
iv.
v.
vi.
vii.
viii.
ix.
x.
xi.
xii.
xiii.
xiv.
xv.
xvi.
xvii.
xviii.
xx.
xxi.
xxii.
xxiii.
xxvi.
xxv.
Epilogue. (Steve's POV)
BONUS CHAPTER (Bucky's POV)
RE: VOMIT-GATE

xix.

4.2K 160 46
By thismustbefakeme

Sorry for the delay again guys. I had a wedding to attend. But I'm back. And we are getting really close to a BIG part of this fic. I have loved all of your wonderful comments and theories so far! Thank you for your votes and for reading! I'm really amazed how much y'all have enjoyed this so far.

(P.s. I'm playing fast and loose with the timeline of the MCU. Because 2 years between avengers and winter soldier is a lot and I'm impatient so...Buckle up buttercups!)

-Linz

—————————————————————————

A lot has happened in the last 2 weeks.

First off. I'm officially living in D.C.

I know. It's crazy how fast it happened. I didn't have a lot of stuff to pack, it's just me and Moose so that part was relatively easy.

Also having Tony Stark as a friend has major perks. Like an entire Stark approved moving company coming in and packing up my entire life into boxes and taking it all to D.C. for me. I didn't have to lift a finger.

Steve said I could keep whatever furniture I wanted and replace anything of his, but I kinda like his style. His couch is amazing, and his bed is MASSIVE. I mean it's gotta fit a super soldier so.

I was able to donate a lot of my old furniture with the help of Pepper Potts. She's kinda my newest role model. Anyone who can handle Tony Stark the way she does deserves an award, or three.

Steve had to go back to "work" almost immediately following the decision to move in together. So he basically hired Tony as my babysitter for a few days while we got all the moving details handled.

Honestly I'm not sure which one of us needed the babysitter me or Tony. We might have caused a minor fire in the lab—shooting a Jaw-Breaker with one of his Iron Man gauntlets—while my apartment was being packed up.

If anyone asks, that was all Tony's idea.

We did get some productive things done. Tony made me this special bracelet I get to wear now. It's like some kind of Stark Tech-Low Jack. As long as I'm wearing it they can find me anywhere, and it can only be removed by my finger print. It's surprisingly comfortable, I don't know how he made the metal adjust to my temperature, but it's Tony so—I've learned not to ask.

I put in my notice at work with Manny, and told him about my plans. He made me swear to keep in touch and not to be a barista anywhere else. I told him he didn't need to worry, I'm going to find what my calling is, outside of making great coffee.

I've decided that it's finally time to get my shit together and do something with my life. I can't very well just be a kept woman. The past month after my ordeal has been a whirlwind. I'm still having nightmares, but when Steve is sleeping next to me the aftermath is better.

He even suggested I start going on morning runs with him when he's home. He said it helps him out after he's had a bad night. So the first morning after I was all settled into his—0ur—apartment, he woke me at the ass-crack of dawn and dragged me to the Lincoln Memorial.

Before the sun had even risen this man takes off, breaking the speed of sound or some shit and leaving me in the dust. I've never felt so out of shape in my life. I mean literally, one second I was jogging along with my boyfriend and the next—I was just trying to keep up and not cry.

As the sun began to rise, I was on the tale end of my first lap—I lost count of the times Steve had lapped me at this point—when another person joined me.

I looked over at the handsome man whose warm brown skin had a light sheen of sweat covering it and smiled in solidarity as my boyfriend lapped us both.

"On your left." Steve chirped cheerily as he ran past.

"Morning people amiright?" The stranger said with a gap toothed grin as Steve left us both in the dust.

At this point, I don't think my new partner knew what he was in for. I kept chugging along, my heart pounding and my legs raising little white flags of surrender, then—right on time—came a familiar voice.

"On your left."

The guy beside me did a double take looking askance at me and I gave him what I hoped was a reassuring grin. It was most likely more a pained grimace, but I digress. We both jogged along for a few more minutes, the sun slowly rising—then...

"On your left."

"Uh huh. On your left— got it." The guy said as Steve ran past once again. The new guy raised an eyebrow as he looked back at me and I stifled a laugh, "You with him?"

"Guilty." I shrugged.

He nodded in response and started to speed up as once again the sound of rapid foot steps started to get louder behind us.

"Don't Say It! DON'T SAY IT!"

I stopped—hands on my knees—unable to hold back my laughter anymore watching him try to speed up in order for Steve not to pass him again.

"On your left." Steve said after gifting me with a cheeky wink.

"Oh come on!" The guy groaned, his legs and arms pumping rapidly in an attempt keep pace.

I walked over to the tree line and slid down to the ground at the base of a tree in the shade. My eyes tracked the duo as the guy tried admirably to keep up with Steve for about 20 mins while the sun rose above the tree line. Eventually he seemed to concede defeat and made his way over to me. He sunk to the ground beside me with an exhausted huff and we both tried to get more air into our abused lungs for a moment.

"I think I need a medic." I gasped.

"I need a new set of lungs." He replied and I laughed.

"I'm Wren."

"Sam."

"That's Steve." I said pointing at the tiny figure about to make another lap.

"Yea, I gathered. The guy's a machine."

"I'd be more impressed if I hadn't already seen in him action." I replied watching Steve run.

"Is that a euphemism of some kind?"

My eyes widened shooting to his as my face heated with embarrassment. Sam started laughing at my expense, his face lighting up with mirth.

"Sorry—sorry. But the face you just made was worth it."

"I didn't mean it that way." I muttered wiping at my sweaty forehead.

"I know, so you and Captain America are together?"

I was still slightly taken aback by how recognizable Steve was. 

"I mean currently he's over there breaking some kind of record, but yes. If you mean to ask if we are dating, yes."

I felt a small spike of anxiety sharing my association with Steve to someone I had just met, but I shoved it away when Sam smiled—something about this guy just screamed— IM TRUSTWORTHY.

I looked up to see Steve approaching us at our spot by the tree and smiled.

"You two gonna be ok?" Steve asked resting his hands on his hips. I took note of the annoying fact that he hadn't even broken a sweat, while Sam and I looked like we took a dip in the pond.

"Dude, you just ran, like, 13 miles in 30 minutes." Sam protested.

"I got a late start." Steve replied and I rolled my eyes when he pointedly looked at me.

"You should take another lap," Sam said, "Did you just take it? I assume you just took it."

I giggled, I was liking this guy more and more.

"What unit you with?" Steve asked gesturing to Sam's sweatshirt.

"58th Pararescue." Sam replied as Steve helped hoist me to my feet, "But now I'm working down at the VA—Sam Wilson."

Steve held out a hand to help Sam up, "Steve Rogers."

"Yea, your girl told me." Sam smiled at me and I rolled my eyes. Steve looked to me and his eyes trailed up and down my body lazily and I felt my insides go gooey for a minute.

"Must have freaked you out, coming home after the whole defrosting thing." Sam said.

"It takes some getting used to, but I've had help." Steve replied and I grinned at his implication.

"You must miss the good old days, huh?" Sam asked.

"Well, things aren't so bad," Steve started, wrapping an arm around my shoulder, "Food's a lot better. We used to boil everything. No polio is good."

"Internet, so helpful." I chirped and Steve flushed crimson at my quoting him from our first time together. He pinched my side in response after clearing his throat and I yelped in surprise jumping away from him.

"Wren's been helping me get caught up." Steve continued, his heated glare making me shift on my feet.

"Marvin Gaye, 1972, Trouble Man soundtrack.
Everything you missed jammed into one album." Sam spoke up ignoring the flirty exchange Steve and I had just shared.

"Damn! I didn't think of that!" I gasped snapping my fingers and Sam grinned.

"I'll put it on the list." Steve said pulling out his notebook and writing it down. His phone when off and he pulled it out, his eyes lifting to mine a tense expression on his face.

I shrugged knowing what it probably said without looking.

"All right, Sam, duty calls." Steve said shaking Sam's hand, "It was a pleasure to meet you."

"Thanks for the run." Sam replied.

"I don't think what either of us did was running, more like a brisk walk." I teased.

"That's how it is?" Sam smiled.

"Just being honest." I shrugged.

"I like her." Sam said to Steve.

"Me too. You mind making sure she gets home ok?" Steve asked and any doubt I had before about sharing info with Sam was gone. If Steve's first impression of the man was good enough to warrant him trusting him with me, he was good.

"Sure thing," Sam replied as a black sports car pulled up to the curb. Steve gave me a brief kiss and turned to head to the car.

"Any time you want to stop by the VA, make me look awesome in front of the girl at the front desk, just let me know." Sam called after him as I stepped up to his side.

"I'll keep it in mind." Steve responded with a friendly smile.

The window of the car rolled down to reveal Natasha and I waved like a giddy fan girl.

"Hey, any of you know where the Smithsonian is? I'm here to pick up a fossil." She sang and then winked at me.

"That's hilarious." Steve muttered.

I turned to see Sam staring at Nat in awe.

"How you doing?" He asked, all smooth and flirtatious.

"Hey." She replied simply and I patted Sam on the back. Poor guy didn't have a chance.

"I'll text you later." Steve said to me as he climbed into the car.

"Be safe! Both of you!" I called as Nat revved the engine.

"I'll try and keep him out of trouble." Nat chirped and then they were off, zipping down the street with a burn of rubber.

"You got some flashy friends." Sam said quietly from my side, his voice filled with awe.

"You get used to it," I replied then rethought myself, "Sorta."

Sam laughed loudly at that and the sound filled my chest with friendly affection for him.

"Us 'Normies' should stick together. Wanna go grab something to eat?" I asked and Sam nodded immediately.

"Yea girl, I know a good spot."

Conclusion after an afternoon in the company of Sam Wilson.

He's good people. I expect we will get along great.

-Wren

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

259K 6.1K 57
Your whole life you had been picked on, along with your twin brother Steve. You both were born very small and had multiple health problems. But the b...
412 30 10
Hiding your phobias from your closest friends may not have been the best idea- you were definitely about to pay for it.
63.9K 4.8K 66
"Then, Natasha perked. Her idea giving her so much renewed energy that Steve could practically feel it rippling through the air to him. Steve looked...
31.1K 1.4K 27
The cold water dripped inside on my cell, as the droplets hit my bare back, I could only shudder from the feel. I knew he would be back any given min...