Falling for a Superhero

By VersionTwoPointOh

Angela Warden and her family just moved to the grand city of Manhattan, NY from the small town of Frankford... More

Chapter One- "A Hero"
Chapter Two- "Man in the Water"
Chapter Three- "A Target on Our Backs...and My Phone"
Chapter Four-"iYelled"
Chapter Five-"Fair Game and Free Phone"
Chapter Six-"Hayden the Heartthrob"
Chapter Seven-"Varsity Jerk"
Chapter Eight-"One-Sided Relationships and Two-Sided Silent Treatments"
Chapter Ten-"I Pledge Allegiance to...Anyone but The Proliator"
Chapter Eleven-"The Proliator's Touch...or Eleven Stitches"
Chapter Twelve-"Tresspassing Superhero"
Chapter Thirteen-"In The Way"
Chapter Fourteen-"You're Different"
Chapter Fifteen-"The Lion and the Zebra"
Chapter Sixteen-"He Doesn't Want You"
Chapter Seventeen-"Just trust me." He says.
Chapter Eighteen-"Come back."
Chapter Nineteen-"Pushed Away is Better Than Nothing"
Chapter Twenty-"Tradition"
Chapter TwentyOne-"It Worked."
Chapter TwentyTwo-"The Real Mickie"
Chapter TwentyThree-"Not For Your Own Good, but For Mine"
Chapter TwentyFour-"Well Jaime Looks Well..."
Chapter TwentyFive-"It's All Settled Then"
Chapter TwentySix-Resemblance
Chapter TwentySeven- "It's Not a Game"
Chapter TwentyEight-"A Date?"
Chapter TwentyNine-"Mateo Vega"
Chapter Thirty-"Listen to My Enemy?"
Chapter ThirtyOne-"I Think I Need the Counselor's Pass"
Chapter ThirtyTwo-"Stay Away"
Chapter ThirtyThree-"He 'Knows' About Feelings"
Chapter ThirtyFour-"Shady Chad"
Chapter ThirtyFive-"My Date With a Superhero"
Chapter ThirtySix-"Hayden's Family"
Chapter ThirtySeven-"Trouble in Paradise"
Chapter ThirtyEight-"I Told You I Had Perfect Timing"
Chapter ThirtyNine-"Mean With Ice Cream"
Chapter Forty-"One Hundred Dances and One TV Broadcast"
Chapter FortyOne-"Retirement and Recognition"
Chapter FortyTwo-"Take It Off"
Chapter FortyThree-"The Retirement Retaliation."
Chapter FortyFour-"The Rebound."
Chapter FortyFive-"A Clear Response."
Chapter FortySix-"The True Origin Story of the Proliator"
Chapter FortySeven-"My Life Will Be Heck"
Chapter FortyEight-"Safe"

Chapter Nine-"Okay with Lunch"

7K 247 30
By VersionTwoPointOh

Not only had Dastan Vega ruin my day, but he had the decency to text me "Hey" twice yesterday. Who the hell does he think he is?

Did I mention that even after texting me, he's still ignoring me while Mickie made the worst comments to me enough to make me want to fight her? Fighting isn't even in my nature!

"I don't know why you're wasting your time," Nik commented as the four of us waited in line to get lunch.

"I agree," Sebastian said. "Kenneth is still—"

"Kenneth hasn't called her since Sunday," Cheyenne reminded.

"Well Kenneth doesn't need to track her every move," Sebastian responded. Like Kylie, he had always teased me and Kenneth, but I was still his sister and he was still his best friend so there's was a presumed level of protectiveness...I just couldn't tell for who all the time.

"Well maybe Kenneth doesn't consider that it—"

"Stop," I ordered. I finally got to the area to grab a tray and then it was taken from me and two bodies cut in front of my group.

"It makes me wonder why you even cut in front of us to get lunch when you just throw it up every day," Nik said to Mickie.

"Food is better being thrown up than wasted on trash like you," Mickie retorted. Dastan just stayed quiet and paid for his food.

"Oh, ouch," Nik faked. Suddenly, when I could actually grab a tray that was ready with food, I was being hauled away from the cashier.

"Hayden, I may look like I don't need food, but I do. I'm hungry. If you don't mind—"

"That's why I pulled you away," he smiled. I'm not following, but he frowned. "I want to take you to lunch."

"Um...okay."

"I know you're with Kenneth, but—wait, you said okay?"

"Okay," I smiled. He returned the genuine grin and we walked out of the cafeteria. He led me to his ninja motorcycle, which was parked by another familiar one, and I was eager to hop on.

"Wow," he commented.

"What?" I asked, tilting my head.

"Usually girls are scared to get on my bike," he commented. "But then again..."

"What?"

"You're not like usual girls," he said in a complimenting voice.

***

When I was with Hayden, things were different than with other boys.

I didn't feel constantly protected and fragilely innocent like when with Kenneth. Nor did I feel like I was in danger like with Dastan. Hayden may have been a big badass to everyone, but to me, he was a big teddy bear. I could laugh without it being forced; I could also breathe normally around him. And the best part? He was being himself around me, no matter what.

"So how have you been?" he asked.

"Just conflicted," I sighed. It was the truth though.

"What do you mean?" he asked, carrying our food to a window booth.

"Nothing," I lied. He placed the tray down and then when he sat across from me, I felt him put a hand on my knee.

"You can talk to me, Angela."

I had talked to him about whatever we wanted to, so why not this?

"Well I mean, I get to this town and I'm already shocked that there's some superhero lurking around—not to mention Kenneth chose then to act like the protective boyfriend," I started. Ugh. I'm not even going to start on the latest Proliator news. "Then I get to a new high school and my brother and I already made the top of the Most Hated list of Dastan by calling him selfish. Not only that, but I'm partnered with him for Journalism and then we spend the game and weekend trying to be friends, but then Monday he accuses me of being a thief and then turns in our Journalism assignment a week early, claiming that he had nothing to do with it!"

I realized that I was over-obsessing.

"Why?" he asked, probably at that last point.

"I don't know?" Ask him yourself; he's your best friend.

"No," he said. I raised an eyebrow. "Why are you so conflicted about that?"

"Because I don't know what to do here! You boys are so confusing and I have no idea why," I whined, resting my cheek in my propped hand.

"Well there's one good thing in your rant," he shrugged. And what was that. "I wasn't mentioned in any bad way."

I stared blankly at him. He chose now to focus on that?

"Okay so there's a guy who you shouldn't even concern about and a guy that is hundreds of miles away--those two your shouldn't even worry about. And then there's a freaking awesome stud that just wants a shot with you," he spelled out. "That doesn't sound confusing. It just sounds like you're a wanted girl."

"You're missing the point."

"Look, stop worrying about all the extra shit and just focus on you and what you want," he advised. I took a deep breath and nodded. He touched my chin and then I started to blush. "A girl as beautiful as you shouldn't have douchebags ruining your days."

"Keep in mind that douchebag is your best friend," I giggled.

"Vega?" he asked. Well yeah... "We're not best friends; we're more like punching bags for each other."

"Meaning?"

"Meaning exactly what the title implies," he said, his voice changing into a tone that made me shudder.

"Angela?" a familiar voice called. I looked over to see Veronica with a coffee in her hand.

"Hey," I smiled. She walked over.

"Who's this?" she asked politely.

"This is—"

"Hayden Marshal," he introduced with a gorgeous smile. Veronica looked to me with a readable expression.

"He's just a friend from school," I assured.

"Good. I thought I was going to have a fight on my hands in three weeks," she laughed.

"Three weeks?" I asked. Her face fell.

"Your father and I are getting married, Angela," she reminded. Oh shoot. That means Kenneth would be here.

"I completely forgot about that," I admitted. I can't believe it was coming up that fast.

"It's fine," she feigned a smile. She glanced between me and Hayden. "Well you two have a nice day. Get back to school in time."

"Maybe—"

"Of course," I covered, sending Hayden a glare that would hopefully send his cocky smile away. Veronica left, texting on her phone, and then I continued eating my food.

"That's not your mom?" Hayden asked.

"Clearly."

"You look so much alike," he said, just like dozens of other people.

"Not really," I lied. "She and my dad have been going out for a while back and when he proposed, it was time to shut down our business back in Frankford and move up here."

"Lucky me," he winked. I smiled and rolled my eyes playfully. "So...do you have any plans this weekend?"

"Not that I know of," I answered, looking down.

"Can you come watch my game?" he invited. I looked up to him.

"Yes," I smiled. It was his last game...well for this high school's district. It had been clear that our team was going to playoffs. I couldn't miss it if he personally asked me to go.

"And, uh..." he started awkwardly. "Would you be willing to come to the after party with me?"

"I don't know..." I said.

"Come on. What's the worst that could happen?" he asked.

"Sebastian doesn't really want me to..."

"Screw Sebastian. He had fun last time," Hayden insisted. Last time? Is that where Sebastian disappeared to last weekend? "And plus Cheyenne will be there and so will I..."

He was giving me wide, blue puppy-dog eyes that I could easily give into.

"Fine," I allowed. "Under one condition."

"Anything," he promised.

"You can't diss me in front of your friends," I said, biting my lip. He stood up from the booth and then walked over to me, closer.

"Sweetheart, I would never do that to you," he said honestly. The corners of his lips turned up. "And plus, my friends are such doofuses that we can spend all night dissing them instead."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

141K 3.6K 22
What happens when you take the city girl and move her to the country? That's currently the situation that Elizabeth or Liz for short is facing. Her d...
402 11 22
In a big city full of secrets . Teenagers living their life willing god damn it's their last year of high school . But it's all Maxi has ever known...
5.1K 257 38
I'm not like the other girls. I used to be just a girl who just worried about friends and school. But now all I do is read about fantasy and romance...
4.8K 524 101
TRIGGER WARNINGS: - Descriptions of graphic blood and gore - Strong language - Sexual themes - Descriptions of physical and psychological torture - T...