Breath of the Wild College AU...

By Finnclarkson

Link is the star athlete of Hyrule University and Zelda an exceptional scholar. They should be focusing on sc... More

Quick Hi
Zelda
Impa
Mipha
Urbosa
Rhoam
Number 11
Link
Malice
Daruk
Revali
Kass' Mentor
Pik
Silent Princess
Blackmail
The Hoodie
Paya
Romeo
Purah
Astor
Blades of the Yiga
Home
Bad News
Stay
Lies
Domidak
Friends
I Miss You
Nervous
Thinking About You
Escort
Believe Me
Secrets
Zelda's Resentment
Ganon
I'm Sorry
Stranger in the Hallway
I Am Doomed
Sidon
Daruk's Protection
Date
Dread
Please stop!
Riju
Hurt
Sooga and Kohga
Just Friends
Done With You
Feel Better
I Said No
That Will Never Change
Game On
Mipha's Touch
Power, Courage, Wisdom
Falling In Love
Despair
Happy Birthday
I Don't Hate You Too
Fire
Give Me A Reason
Ganondorf
Weakness
Karusa
No Matter What
Guys Deserve Flowers Too
The Way You're Breaking Me
We Probably Shouldn't Be Doing This
I need to talk to you
Family
Why I Did It
Trick or Treat
More Than Friends
How to Be a Father
Guilty
Kass
To Say Goodbye
A Terrible Idea
Jealous
I Love You | Part 1
I Love You | Part 2
Merry Christmas
All Of Us
Final Secret
Gift
Dear Zelda
Happy New Year
Welcome Home
Bittersweet
Valentine's Day
Eyes Don't Lie
You and My Daughter
Girlfriend
Boyfriend
Last Words
Stay a Little Longer
To Remember You
Numb
Skeleton in the Closet
I Will Wait For You

Revali's Flap

8.8K 211 610
By Finnclarkson

My alarm rings an hour earlier than it usually does and I am wide awake before I even open my eyes. It doesn't take more than five seconds until I'm on my feet and on my way to the closet to get dressed. Astronomy isn't until later tonight but I want to review my notes before my political science class.

"I am going to get a 100 on this exam," I tell the reflection in the mirror as I brush my hair.

The house is still dark and quiet, the staff hasn't started their day yet and Father is already off to Mammoth Mountain. On my way to the door I pass the piano in the living room. My feet come to a halt as my eyes take in the majestic instrument. I don't usually take notice of it but since yesterday I find it hard to ignore it. I want to sit down and sing a song but I have more important things on my agenda.

The sky is drenched in the colors of dawn. I can't keep my eyes off the bright golden clouds as I drive to campus. Arriving here before 8 AM has its perks; free parking spots close to the library.

I make a quick stop by the coffee cart, hoping some latte will help me stay focused. It's going to be a long day. First I have my political science class, then English with Link, Lunch with Impa, Biology with Link and Mipha, more studying, then astronomy, and finally Link's soccer game. Speaking of the devil, is that him jogging on the track?

"Three bucks," the barista says, holding out the coffee to me.

My eyes zip back to the student worker with a round haircut and freckles sowed all around his big red nose. I pay him, take my coffee, and choose the longer route past the track to wave to Link. The temperatures are low this morning and a shiver sprinkles my body with goosebumps just from looking at Link in shorts and a t-shirt. My stomach twists at the sigh of the bandage on his right arm.

He sees me waving but doesn't stop or wave back. Nobody else is in sight but he is probably just being cautious and keeps running without another look at me.

Having spent the first half of my day studying for a class that terrifies me and paying attention to a lecture I don't enjoy even a little bit, I head to my English lecture hall where Link is already sitting in the back. With his hoodie up and his headphones on, he doesn't notice me when I sit down next to him. His hair is wet and he smells freshly showered, unlike the first time we met.

"Hey," I whisper to him while looking at my astronomy notes for the 50th time today.

He doesn't answer and I'm starting to feel ignored. I turn my head to look at him but he doesn't return the gesture.

"I waved at you earlier, did you see me?" I ask with a faint smile, trying not to sound judgmental.

When he still doesn't look at me I know something is wrong. Is this because I brushed his text yesterday? Or because I have been dodging him for three days?

I place my hand on his and he instantly looks at me in shock, pulling his hand away. Déjà vu.

"Did you hear me?" I ask before jumping into defense.

He removes his headphones, and while he takes a look around to see if anybody saw what I just did, he asks, "What are you doing?" in a whisper, barely moving his lips as he speaks.

"Nothing, I just... Did I do something?" I'm so nervous right now and it's not due to the upcoming exam.

"No," he says without hesitation. "I'm concentrating. Important game today."

"Oh. So we're good?"

He nods and proves it with a genuine smile, then he puts his headphones back on and packs his things.

"Where are you going?" I ask when he gets up.

"Think I'll skip English today. Gotta study the game plan."

"Okay," I say mousy. I'm a bit disappointed that he is leaving but Link has his own priorities and I respect that.

"How many of you have read Wuthering Heights?" The professor asks ten minutes into the lecture and my hand shoots up in the air along with half the class. "Great, let's talk about Brontë's choice of narration. It's quite a unique way of telling a story. Who in here can tell me the purpose of the frequently changing point of view?"

My hand flies up again, excitement emitting from every part of my body. The professor's eyes meet mine but before she can point at me to answer her question, something else catches our attention. A blue balloon slowly rising up from one of the front rows. Everybody watches it in confusion until another colorful balloon rises in another section of the classroom shortly after.

"What is this?" the professor asks irritated as more balloons fly up toward the high ceiling.

A girl with a mask, dressed like a robber, comes running through the door and jumps onto the professor's desk. The woman up front gasps at the act and tells her to get down immediately.

"Catch that thief!" I hear Pik's voice call and sure enough he storms in, wearing a police costume. What is going on?

"Guys, I have a class to teach," the professor sighs at them.

"Are you saying education is more important than justice?" Pik exclaims dramatically.

"Justice?" the girl on the desk exaggerates a gasp. Only now do I realize that it is Impa standing there all dressed up, and every hope that this isn't about me withdraws.

"If you cared about justice you would arrest all these students first!" Impa tells the officer. I mean Pik.

"These kids have done nothing wrong, you however have stolen my gun!" he counters.

The professor stands with her arms crossed, waiting for it to be over while the class watches amused.

"I may have stolen your gun, but sir," Impa points at the class, "their crimes are far worse! They are sitting here, acting as if it was a normal day!"

"What?" Pik lets out the loudest gasp yet. "But today is the greatest day of all times!"

"I know! It's my best friend's birthday! And these sinners aren't celebrating!"

I hide my face, wondering how many students are in on it. At least the ones releasing the balloons are, but the rest must be clueless.

"You should be ashamed of yourselves!" Pik scolds the class. "I should lock you all up!"

"You should! Unless..." Impa pauses to build the suspense.

"Unless what?"

"Well, don't you think redemption is possible?"

"I don't know. How could they make up for this horrible, horrible crime?"

Impa grins at me. Oh no. "They could sing happy birthday."

I'm going to kill her for this. She knows how much I hate attention. This is a nightmare!

"Alright, let's just get this over with," the professor rolls her eyes with a small smile.

The class begins to laugh lightly and joins in on Impa's and Pik's happy birthday song. I'm getting recorded from all sides and angles and I wish this was just one of those very realistic, embarrassing dreams. Impa and Pik walk up to me with a fruit cake and candles.

"Make a wish," Impa smirks at me.

"Harry's cloak of invisibility sounds pretty nice right about now," I say through my teeth and blow out the candles in one swift blow. Last time I desperately wished to have the cloak of invisibility was the first day I talked to Pik. I thought he was annoying and that I would never see him again. Who knew he was going to stick around this long...

"Can I have my gun back now?" Pik asks Impa in a loud stage voice.

"Of course you can," Impa tosses him a pink confetti gun which he fires immediately, showering the entire room with colorful shreds of paper.

The class applauds and I am humiliated. I'm glad Father isn't on campus today; Impa is wearing a mask but Pik could get identified and face the consequences for disrupting the lecture like this.

"You're going to clean this up after class, young man," the professor orders Pik as he leaves the room with Impa, waving and bowing to the audience.

I don't even want to look up from my feet, I must be glowing red. Thank the heavens Link left before he witnessed this.

It takes a good two minutes for the chatter to dissolve, but once the class has calmed, the lecture continues as planned. I don't raise my hand again to answer questions about Wuthering Heights, no, I sit in silence, counting every second until the end of class.

After the lecture I stick around to check my grades on my Macbook. Still a 100 in every class. Sometimes it hits me... Healthy or not, I have never excelled at school like this.

"I'm back," Impa announces cheerfully as she enters the lecture hall. I'm the only student left, even the professor left a few minutes ago.

"I hate you so much," I joke when she arrives in the back and starts picking up the confetti.

"Love you too," she laughs.

"I didn't know you were friends with Pik."

"I'm not, not really. But I needed an actor for the whole thing."

"Speaking of which, I thought he was supposed to be the one cleaning up this mess."

"He has rehearsal so I told him I'd do it."

We spend our lunch break in the English lecture hall; Impa cleans up the floor while I'm reviewing my astronomy flashcards. Impa embarrassed me in front of my professor and classmates but I do love this cake. I think I can forgive her for this little stunt.

Thanks to Link's withdrawn self today biology should only be half as awkward as I feared. Though my heart still stings a little when I am greeted by Mipha, I don't hold any ill feelings toward her. I'm really not sure what exactly I feel when looking at her but there must be something I can do to return to the way it used to be.

"Hey, I have a two hour break until my next class, we could get some coffee or go hang out somewhere on campus?" I ask her at the end of our lab.

"I have to go to the school supply store for some new pens and notebooks. Would you like to come along?"

"Sounds good to me." I have never even been to our school's store.

"When does the soccer game start? Maybe we could watch it together," I suggest as we walk to the store located between the science and sports building.

"I don't go to the soccer games. And it starts at 6 PM."

"Hold on, you don't go to Link's games?" I ask and she shakes her head. "Why not?"

"He told me not to."

What?

"Why would he tell you not to support him?"

"I do support him. I watch the live streams. But he says it distracts him when I come to his games, so I don't go anymore. He didn't say it like that of course but that's the gist of it."

Huh... Interesting. Mipha distracts Link by going to his games and I distract Link by not going to his games. At least that's what he said a few weeks back. I wonder why that is... It's probably selfish to admit it but I like that he wants me to come to his games even though his best friend should be the one to be there. Maybe this is proof enough that his feelings for me are very different from his feelings for Mipha.

With a smile, I follow her to the store between the science and sports building. While Mipha picks out her supplies I cringe at the countless rags of merchandise. The designs aren't so bad but I could never wear my family's logo as a brag or pride. When I spot the water bottles I instantly think of Link and the water bottle he lost the day he saved me from those baseball players. I want to buy him a new bottle, even though he told me he has plenty already.

I grab the blue one with the mascot on it and walk to the check out. Mipha is paying right now and I am next in line. The cashier looks awfully familiar...

"Swipe your student ID card," he instructs, his voice cracking. Now I remember; he also works at the coffee cart.

"Oh, happy birthday," he says, reading my info on his screen.

"Th-thank you." I hope Mipha didn't hear--

"It's your birthday?" she asks thrilled.

"M-hm," I nod, lips pressed together.

"I had no idea. Allow me to buy you something from the store. Anything, you choose."

"That's very kind of you but very much not necessary. I do appreciate the thought though."

"I suppose you don't need a souvenir from your own school," she giggles. "May I buy you a snack then? Or a soda or coffee?"

"Mipha, it's alright, really," I hate gifts. I give her a smile and she respects my wishes.

We walk back out and stroll along the little park area behind the library where I saw Mipha with Link last week before Father found me on the bridge.

"So, how was your weekend?" I ask. Maybe she'll tell me something about her and Link at the pool.

"It was good. Very good."

"What did you do?"

"You know what I did on Saturday, and Sunday I went to the beach."

"What do you mean... I know what you did?" My heart is pounding faster and faster.

"Well in the morning I was at the dorms, I opened the door for you, remember? And then I had that swim meet in the afternoon."

"Oh, right. Yeah, no, I remember. Did you do anything interesting after the meet?" So not slick, Zelda! My subconscious berates me.

Mipha smiles abashed as her cheeks turn rose. "Link stayed at the pool with me after the meet. He got himself hurt again so I made sure the wound wouldn't get infected."

"Is he okay?"

"Yes, just a cut. He is so clumsy."

He didn't tell her that Ganon attacked him... Why did he lie? Will he tell me what really happened?

"A pro athlete as reckless as Link can count himself very lucky to have a friend pursuing a medical career," I say.

"I am the one who is lucky," she mutters.

"Did anything else happen?" I want to give a light giggle but it comes out as more of a nervous laugh.

"Hm?" She looks up at me, her face a deep crimson.

"Did you tell him how you feel about him?"

"No, no," she waves her hands faintly. "I could never..."

"Why not?"

Maybe I should just drop it. I'm just thinking... If Mipha confesses her love to Link, he can just say no, get it over with, and won't have to start the whole I'm-dating-your-friend conversation out of nowhere. Shit. I'm a horrible person. Mipha would be crushed and Link would be put on the spot and end up feeling guilty. This was a bad idea.

"Never mind," I shake that awful thought right out of my head. At least I know that Link hasn't told her about us yet. He should do it soon so he doesn't lead her on.

"Wait, do you think I should tell him?" Mipha asks excitedly.

What have I done...

"Er... It's really up to you... I mean, do you want him to know?"

"I do want him to know. I just... I never thought about actually telling him."

"Telling your crush that you love them can be terrifying."

"Have you ever confessed to your crush?"

"No, I've never even had a crush."

Until Link.

"What is the worst thing that could happen?" Mipha ponders.

"He could say that he doesn't feel the same," I reply very honestly, hoping it will make her second guess her confession.

She lowers her head and continues to think it over. "Or he could reciprocate the feelings."

Oh Mipha...

"Possibly," I croak at the lack of a better response.

"I shall think about it," she says determined and thrilled.

"Let me know what you decide," I try to sound supportive. I don't want her to get hurt. She will find out that I knew all along that Link didn't feel the same and that I didn't stop her from embarrassing herself. But no matter what I do, I end up being the bad guy. It comes down to saving her from a humiliating confession or from being led on. Question is: Which is worse?

"I better get going, I want to go over my notes before my exam," I tell Mipha and we hug goodbye.

I can tell that she doesn't talk to anybody else about her feelings for Link, even though I am the last person she should be telling all this to. Trying to ignore the guilt, I sit down on a bench and write a little good luck note for Link. I roll it up and drop it in the bottle I bought for him.

Link is training by himself near the stadium, right next to the archery training ground. He is already wearing his jersey and looks as focused as ever. I walk up to him despite the archery club in earshot.

"Hey, you left this in the classroom," I hold out the bottle but Link doesn't take it. I notice a couple of eyes on us but don't let it bother me too much. There is nothing to see here.

He looks confused.

"The professor said it's yours and told me to hand it back to you," I say, clearly indicating that none of it is true by the tone of my voice. "Take it," I whisper.

He accepts my little gift, slowly grasping what is going on.

"Good luck today. If I finish the exam early I will try to watch the rest of the game."

He nods in gratitude. A loud thud pulls our eyes towards one of the targets with a bunch of arrows squeezed into the bullseye. The young athletes admire the target.

"Nice shot, captain," a teammate says but Revali doesn't acknowledge him. He looks at Link and me and walks over to us, bow in hand.

"Impressive, I know. Very few can achieve a mastery of the bow. I have made it an art to create an anchor point that allows me supreme accuracy."

"That's great, Revali," I want to roll my eyes at him but I smile instead.

"Great?" he huffs. "It's considered to be quite the masterpiece of aiming techniques, even among other toxophilites. My ability to explore the firmament is certainly of note but let's not--pardon me for being so blunt--let's not forget that I am the most skilled archer of North America, yet despite these truths it seems that I have been tapped to come in second with Mipha."

"What are you talking about?" I ask him but he looks right passed me at Link.

"At the swim meet she kept going on and on about how great you are at fencing," Revali snarls at Link. "All because you happened to beat all the amateur adult fencers at the Olympics when you were a kid. I mean... It's just asinine. Unless... you think you can prove me wrong."

Challenge accepted, let's prove him wrong. I was giving him a compliment and instead of thanking me he is attacking Link. As much as I appreciate what he has done for me and Link in the past, he should know when to let it go... 

"Link has been to the Olympics multiple times, winning gold in all sorts of disciplines while playing soccer for Japan's national football team at the same time," I praise the young prodigy as if I had memorized his Wikipedia site. "Mipha is not the only girl to like Link," I quickly expand on that; "he has dozens of thousands of admirers and for good reasons. He is kind and selfless and he is a master of a handful of sports, archery including. You on the other hand are only one of those things."

My words take little to no effect on Revali. His eyes continue to shoot keen glares at Link. As if he didn't hear me at all he steps intimidatingly close to Link, really showing off the height difference.

"Maybe we should just settle this one on one," Revali challenges Link.

Is he expecting a showdown? Revali has to calm down, Link won't steal Mipha from him and he of all people should know that.

"Link and Mipha are just friends, so take it easy."

"Let the man speak for himself," Revali retorts.

I look at Link whose eyes are holding Revali's glare without a flinch. But words don't part his lips and I admire him for his discipline. If Malice was talking to me like this I would try to disarm her with words, probably just feeding her ego. She is the first person I have ever wanted to slap. I wonder if Link is holding himself back right now. His fists are clenched at his sides...

"Your annoying silence and emotionless behavior is really getting on my nerves. What's going through your mind right now? Hm? Likely nothing at all." Revali circles Link while I am debating with myself whether I should step in and say something or keep quiet as Link would. "It may be true that you beat adults in fencing when you were only a child, but still... You don't stand a chance against me. There is no one alive who can keep up with my precision and aim. Wouldn't you agree?... It's to no avail trying to get you to talk," he lets out a laugh tainted in arrogance, "it's like talking to a stone."

"Everybody relax," I say, seeing that Link is provoked. I don't want to witness another fight. "Link has done nothing wrong."

"He has done nothing wrong, huh? Didn't you know that he told me to go home Saturday night while he himself stayed at the pool until everybody else was gone?"

"Yes, I do know." I didn't know that Link sent Revali home but what does it matter now anyway. Link's head snaps in my direction but I keep my eyes on Revali. "But nothing happened, and even if it did, it's not really any of your business, so get off his case."

"It is my business, because I asked Mipha on a date and she said yes, so from now on how about you stay away from her," Revali orders Link, expecting a reaction that never comes.

I almost want to tell Revali that Link can be friends with whoever he wants but it's not my fight to win and if Link doesn't defend his life long friendship then there is nothing I can do about it. 

Revali picks up his chin with a scoff and returns to his target to collect the arrows, ultimately leaving us alone.

All this leaves me with one major question... Why would Mipha agree to go on a date with Revali when she is thinking about confessing to Link? Or was she trying to move on and fall for somebody else? Did I just set her back and made everything a whole lot more complicated by suggesting she talk to Link about her hidden feelings? If she confesses now it will not only hurt her and Link but Revali too. Why couldn't I have just kept my mouth shut...

I pick up the water bottle and hand it to Link who looks angry and a little bit nervous. I can tell that he didn't expect me to know about his private moment with Mipha. He has nothing to worry about; it doesn't bother me anymore. I care about Mipha and I trust Link. 

"What an arse," I whisper to Link. "I'm sure he'll come around... Are you okay?"

"Fine," he breathes heavily, fighting the urge to run after Revali.

"Don't let him get to you. He's just trying to get a reaction." I'm pretty sure Revali cares about Link in one way or another. He just doesn't want to admit it. "Alright. I do have to go to my exam now. I hope this whole thing didn't kill your concentration too much. You'll do great tonight. It's supposed to rain later so please be careful when you run on the wet grass, okay?"

I sound like an overprotective mother but I just can't stand watching him get hurt.

Link gives a simple nod. I know he avoids talking to people on game days so I can't even imagine how he must feel right now after a confrontation like that. Hopefully he can still perform with his usual excellence.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

58.4K 1.8K 26
Zelda doesn't believe in soulmates; Zelda barely even believes in herself. That is, until Link turns up with a sword strapped to his back, heralding...
9K 264 35
« Nothing will never do us apart. » It's been six months since I fell in love for the first time of my life. All of this because of him. Him, Link F...
43.3K 1K 100
"I started to live the day I met your eyes." My life had always been planned out. Being the top of class, getting an economics' degree in Hyrule's Un...
19.3K 348 7
A fanfiction based on HYRULE WARRIORS: AGE OF CALAMITY. (Cover by @Nebulace on Instagram) On the princess' birthday, three years after the Calamity's...