𝔇𝔢𝔣𝔦𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢 (𝔏𝔢𝔳𝔦 𝔵...

By livelaughlovelevi

⋆⭒˚。⋆ 𝚈𝚘𝚞 𝚖𝚊𝚍𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚙𝚛𝚘𝚖𝚒𝚜𝚎 𝚜𝚒𝚡 𝚢𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚜 𝚊𝚐𝚘, 𝚒𝚝'𝚍 𝚋𝚎 𝚊 𝚠𝚊𝚜𝚝𝚎 𝚒𝚏 𝚢𝚘�... More

I - Harm And Question
II - Solidity And Obscurity
III - A Companions Restraint
V - Hands For Chains
VI - Good Company
VII - Blank Pages
VIII - Race Against The Rogue
IX - Don't Fear My Touch
X - The Hours Of Dawn
XI - Upon The Surface
XII - Family Banter
XIII - Peculiar Brunette
XIV - Failed Persuasions
XV - Three Souls
XVI - No Regrets
XVII - Breaking Through
XVIII - Wavering Guilt
XIX - Under The Cherry Blossom
XX - Idiotic Brother
XXI - It's Not The Same
XXII - Don't Die
XXIII - Rude Awakenings
XXIV - Unknown Rivalry
XXV - Stay Safe... Please
XXVI - We Miss You
XXVII - The Fall
XXVIII - Run. He's Coming For You
XXIX - Expect The Unexpected
XXX - Content, But Not Quite Happy
XXXI - Fist Of White
XXXII - Unbalanced
XXXIII - What's The Situation Here, Brats?
XXXIV - Reunited At Last
Authors Note and Character Stats
XXXV - Discipline Through Pain
XXXVI - Brat
XXXVII - River of Koi
XXXVIII - Second In Command
XXXIX - Things Change
XL - Again
XLI - Scissors And A Razor
XLII - Memory Graves
XLIII - Rooftop Murmurs
XLIV - Taverns, Wield and Flower Fields
XLV - Bound
XLVI - Bedridden
XLVII - Crazy Admirer
XLVIII - Guilt
XLIX - In The Rain
L - Promise
LI - Havoc
LII - His Heart
LIII - To Change A Concrete Mind
LIV - The Book Of Nothing
LV - Valkyrie Of War
LVI - The Toxicity Of Optimism
LVII - Eyes In The Shadows
LVIII - Calm Before The Storm
LVIX - In Time, Before Sunset
LX - What The Sun Sees
LXI - The Friends And The Foes
LXII - A Perspective Of Distrust
LXIII - Lurking Within Our Dreams
LXIV - Winter Wishes
LXV - When The Night Calls
LXVI - A Weeping Clouds Purpose
LXVII - As Realisation Sinks In
LXVIII - Beauty Of A White Night
LXIX - Request
LXX - A Brothers Plea
LXXI - Before The Hunt Begins
LXXII - A Flawed Crime
LXXIII - Sea Of Stars
LXXIV - An Order Of Silence
LXXV - A Living Myth
LXXVI - Strength And Weakness
LXXVII - An Affair Of Negotiation
LXXVIII - A Method Of Obtention
LXXIX - Guise Of Repulse
LXXX - The Blood Of Those Who Pursue Us
LXXXI - Thread And Tension
LXXXII - When Dependant On Trust
LXXXIII - Accusations Of Insanity
LXXXIV - Clandestine
LXXXV - In The Raven's Mind
LXXXVI - How One Approaches
LXXXVII - What We Sought
LXXXVIII - With My Everything
LXXXIX - Reading Him
XC - Warm Lights
XCI - Crystals And Bets
XCII - Words Of Honour
XCIII - What's Said At Midnight
XCIV - What He Wants
XCV - What He Needs
XCVI - The Cunning Brown Fox
XCVII - Blood Of Consequence
XCVIII - On Her Behalf
XCIX - The Ghost Of Sina
C - Times Like These
CI - Bittersweet Truths
CII - Fire And Blood
CIII - God Of Destruction
CIV - An Eye For A Life
CV - Midnight Sun
CVI - The Innocence Of A Man
CVII - When Words Matter
CVIII - Three Strikes
CIX - My Own Blood
CX - Subjects Of Ymir

IV - A Rogue Like He

4.5K 151 96
By livelaughlovelevi

The only walls I would prefer to remain in.

***

Sam and I discreetly slipped back into our rooms unnoticed during the early hours of morning. We had gotten lost in conversation, completely oblivious to the time that was flying by like nothing. The cave was enveloped in nearly pure darkness as the moons light slipped from sight.

Settling in my bed, I recall the chat that Sam and I had.

"How is your brother?" He asked. I grinned a little as I glanced down at the ground.

"Last time I heard from him, he's doing well. He and his wife are currently living in Trost. And I'm going to be an aunty." I look up at Sam. His eyes widened at the news of my sister-in-laws pregnancy.

"Wow, congratulations." He chuckled.

"Thanks." I laugh with him, averting my gaze to the cherry blossom.

"How often do you come here?" He asked, his face with an unwavering happy expression.

"I try to come here as often as I can but I have been lacking lately." I lay back on the stone, wriggling around a little to find a comfortable position. "I was going to come here alone until I snapped at you earlier. I figured I'd bring you here as an apology."1 admit.

"Apology? Sunshine, you didn't need to apologize for anything, I get that my protectiveness gets tiring very quickly so I understand why you reacted the way you did." He says, carefully choosing his words.

"Regardless of the situation, I shouldn't have been so harsh. I know you're just concerned and I appreciate that." I frown slightly, memories from this morning flooding into my mind. I push them away, continuing to focus on the conversation initiated between Sam and I.

"I know and I'm sorry. I've just known you guys for so long it's some type of attachment to you all that makes me feel the urge to throw myself in front of you when danger is near." He chuckles dryly. I look up at him. "I'll try lay off, okay?"

"Okay, just make sure to look after yourself too." I reply.

Sam was still feeling guilty about his behavior due to my trip. He was incredibly thankful that I showed him my spot though, so the guilt I felt for him quickly faded away as the frown on his face did.

I should probably go to sleep otherwise I won't wake up.

Turning over in my bed, I was met with the walls of my room. Observing the peeling wallpaper that was slowly seperating itself from the wall. I sighed deeply, closing my eyes and ignoring the low moons light beaming through my window.

***

The Special Ops, Captain Tera and I readied our horses for our journey to Stohess, where we would enter the Underground. As we did so, Erwin paced through the yard reciting the plan for each of us in case someone forgot. My eyes were strained, I barely had the energy to drag myself out of bed this morning, my feet refused to lift fully as I shuffled through the castle corridors.

My eyelids were heavy, but not so heavy to the point where I couldn't lift them again. Give me enough time and I'll be fine. I sensed everyone around me shifting immensely. I gaze around myself, seeing everyone mounting their horses.

I close my eyes, taking a deep breath and exhaling slowly. Propping my foot up onto the stirrup, I heave myself onto the mammal. He whinnied softly in response, his ear twitching as he slowly moved hos head to the left to admire the view in front of us. I reach down and scratch his neck lightly before glancing at Erwin, who was glancing at all of us.

As he saw all of us ready, he wordlessly headed away from Headquarters, all of us following after silently. The only sound heard was the wind brushing through nature's gift and hooves softly beating at the ground below. The sun wasn't nearly above us, so by glance I'd guess it's around nine in the morning.

With this timing, we should get to Stohess by noon. When we arrive in the Underground, we're expected to pull our hoods over our head in order to conceal our identity. The Underground being filled with reckless citizens, they could use our identity for anything.

Upon arrival, we situate ourselves through the city, places where we would remain unseen unless we reveal ourselves. We sit and wait for the rogues to come out to play and with luck, they'll do it earlier than usual.

As I was revising the plan in my head, I hadn't realized Sina had come into view in the distance. I was too busy thinking about the consequences of everything that could compromise the mission.

But there was also, what Erwin was planning to do when he got his hands on them.

Part of me couldn't help but feel concern for the people we were aiming for. But the pity I felt was in great contrast with my main goal for this mission, which I had secretly made for myself.

To somehow impress the Commander with my combat skills.

If I did manage to achieve this, what would that mean for me? A pat on the back?

No, the way I'm thinking is too selfish, working alongside the Commander is a real privilege. Especially considering I was hand picked by Erwin Smith himself.

A loud rumbling echoed through the air, slapping me out of my thoughts. I look up and see the large grey gate of solid rock raised from the ground, creating space for us to enter into Stohess.

I hadn't noticed it until now, how hard my heart was thudding in my chest. I didn't realize how nervous I was to enter such a hazardous place. Maybe I was overestimating the dangers that inhabited the ruins. Maybe I was underestimating them, but there was only one way to find out.

And I certainly couldn't back out now. I'm here now, aren't I?

Trotting through the streets of Stohess, people who clearly had wealth looked at us, though, not one gaze had even a speck of positive emotion in them whatsoever. Not admiration, not happiness, certainly not impressed with our appearance.

The negativity was clear in the air. Disgust, frustration, contempt, resent. Each emotion flowed from each of their pores as if they were sweating on a hot day. I furrowed my eyebrows as I looked at their preppy attire, making me scrunch my nose in annoyance. One reason why I joined the scouts.

I refused to be one with the people who showed clear hatred towards us as of now. Not a single drop of blood within their beings contained a shred of guilt. Not a single sign of a sympathetic emotion threatening to break their stone cold composures.

I returned my gaze to the mane of my horse. My expression blank except for the small wrinkle that formed between my eyebrows as they very lightly scrunched together. I blocked out all the whispers that were erupting from the people who roamed the streets of Sina, their voices morphing into a light ringing at the back of my head.

My horse stopped abruptly after a few minutes, the small jolt from the halt snapping me out of my trance. I blink a few times, looking around myself to take in my surroundings. A row of houses behind us, lining the wall that stood incredibly tall in front of us.

The street was quiet, barely anyone dared to pass by the tunnel leading downwards.

To the Underground.

My breath hitched at the sight of it. The stairs that descended into darkness, a darkness that ended who knows when. A cool breeze coming from the hole in the ground licked our exposed skin sending an eerie shiver down our spines.

Erwin turned to look at us before wordlessly walking down the stairs, pulling his hood up in the process. Reluctantly, each one of us followed after, one by one. I was the last to succumb to the cold darkness, clutching my cloak tightly as the air nipped at my skin. Pulling my hood up, I follow after my comrades.

The smell of the darkness was damp, a scent of mould stinging my nose. Pushing through, we descend yet another set of stairs before a dim light was shown at the bottom. My eyes glued onto the entrance. We walked through the entrance and were soon met with an incredibly poor looking community.

Many structures as far as I could see had deformities, some larger than others. The atmosphere here was incredibly gloomy, the walls and roof of the cave made entirely of rock and moss. Some people I had caught glimpse of were severely malnourished. Their hair had lost shine and their skin was now a dull grey.

This place was miserable and the pity that consumed me overpowered every other emotion that was available to feel.

Subconsciously making contact with even ground, Erwin turned to all of us with a knowing look.

"You all know what to do?" He asked quietly, gazing around the area warily. Sucking up my pride, I reply with a firm nod, as did everyone else.

"Tera, Tera Squad, you spread out through the vicinity. Y/N, you're coming with me so I can monitor you. Go." Erwin instructed. Multiple zips sounded, steam emitting from everyone's 3DMG as they glided through the air and out of sight.

I face Erwin, waiting for his movement so I can trail after him. He cemented his gaze on mine, flicking his head towards the city. A wordless order to follow. He walked towards the streets, making my feet hurriedly catch up to him.

The dimly lit streets barely illuminated the people who sat on the ground. Their dark eyes didn't hinder their dejected feelings. There was barely life left in them. I avoided their gazes and kept my head down, watching where Erwin's feet lead us.

We turned multiple corners, the smell of the area was putrid. Screams echoed through the air coming from someone in the midst of a criminal act. I tried my best to ignore them, quickening my pace so I was now walking beside Erwin. I lift my head, examining our surroundings. My eyes met Erwins, his expression neutral as he looked back down at me.

"Are you okay, cadet?" He asked lowly. I turn my head forward before nodding in confirmation. The light crunch of gravel beneath our boots and the light rattling of our gear that hung loosely by our sides were the only sounds that were near us.

"Where are we going, Commander?" I ask quietly, looking up to see if he caught my question. He side glanced me briefly before averting his gaze.

"Just a for a walk. If we travel by foot we'll cover more ground and have a view that the others don't. They are watching over the city, we're navigating the streets." He answers. I pursed my lips. Briefly being pulled back into thought as I subconsciously walk beside Erwin, I try coming up with solutions to if the mission were to go wrong.

We lose them, do we try again? If they resist arrest, do we kill them?

No, Erwin wouldn't resort to murdering someone just like that. I guess there's only one way to find out.

Suddenly, a zipping sounded from above the streets. My head snapped upwards, watching three casually dress people fly from view. Following quickly afterwards were four scouts. My eyes widened and I stare at Erwin eagerly, waiting for him to let me on them.

His expression remained unfazed as he gave me a curt nod. Quickly pulling the trigger of my hilt, my figure ascends from the street and I'm tailing the scouts.

I hastily catch up to them, gazing at each one of them silently. I couldn't make out who each of them were considering their hoods were up, but I could tell they were intent on catching these rogues.

Catching a glimpse of the rogues, they were how Erwin had described. A blonde, a redhead and a raven. I scan the area for possible paths that they can take and I can potentially interfere.

Before they split up.

I barely had time to process what they were doing, and certainly had no time to turn and chase the blonde or the redhead. I found myself chasing after the 'dangerous' raven who was supposedly the most relentless of the three.

My hood remained up as we hunt him down. He slightly turned his head to look behind him, making dead eye contact with me.

Though the distance between us was great, I could sense the chilling glare that he held for me. He turned his head forward once more, heading straight for a building. I furrow my eyebrows in confusion.

Where is he going?

Just as he was about to hit the wall of the building, he hooked to two other buildings, propelling himself backwards.

Our bodies nearly collided from the sudden change of direction before I quickly launch myself weakly over him. I hook to building as I turn myself sideways and bend my legs as my feet made contact with the wall. I jump, launching myself back in the direction we had come from a mere ten seconds ago.

Once more, he turned his head to look at me again, my blades ready at my sides. I heard a very, very faint 'tch' sound as he headed straight into a broken window of a building.

With no hesitation, I follow two, running at an extremely fast pace that was forced upon me from the speed of the gear. I see the raven jump out another window, falling straight down.

The adrenaline that pumped through me had my thoughts numbed, my only thought was to capture these rogues. Graciously flipping out the window, I just missed the scout that had went for the rogue.

The raven went under some stalls, having him completely slip from my view. I could still hear his gear but I couldn't pinpoint his exact location. Just then, Captain Miche dove straight into the stalls and held the raven under his weight as they continued to soar down the streets before colliding with a trailer of boxes.

The impact broke them apart but Miche had no hesitation in going straight for attack. The raven back flipped from the ground as he skidded across the ground, and just before Miche could strike him with his sword the man quickly pulls out a pocket knife.

Both being knocked back by the collision, they both head straight for each other once more.

Before I interfered.

I land between them both, my swords blocking their intended targets. The loud sound of metal meeting metal echoed through the air as I parry Miche's sword. Flicking my sword hastily, I knock the knife out of the ravens hand before turning to him and holding a blade to his throat.

He gazed up at me with an intense anger. He flicked his eyes to where his knife had landed on the ground nearby. His expression was angry but his eyes.

Blank.

Nothing could be read in his icy stare which irritated me, and yet I still remained with my cold demeanor.

"I wouldn't if I were you." I calmly initiate conversation. He narrowed his eyes at me. "Look around you, you're surrounded. No matter how impressive you are, you currently stand no chance." He looked around and sure enough, multiple scouts stood around us.

A couple of seconds later, two scouts walk around the corner with the redhead and the blonde. The redhead shouting for them to let them go. The raven looked back, concern flashing across his face before returning to irritation.

***

We had tied them up and removed their 3DMG. The gear was still in superb condition, meaning they had obviously taken very good care of it. They were currently kneeling on the ground, a puddle sitting between Erwin and the raven. I stood beside the Commander, awaiting the next steps.

"I'll ask a few questions. Firstly, where did you get this?"
He asks holding up the hilt to one of the gears. He examined it lightly before returning his gaze to the three who were kneeling before us.

Now I had the time to observe their appearances. Considering the circumstances, they all dressed fairly well.

The blonde had messy hair, blue eyes and wore a white long sleeve shirt with a blue vest over the top and brown pants.

The redhead had very pretty green eyes, her hair held back in two pigtails and wore a orange shirt with dark brown, nearly black pants.

The raven wore a white long sleeve with a brown vest and black pants. His hair was styled neatly with a buzzed underneath. And from what I've seen, his eyes were a shade of blue.

The three were all well kept, obviously knew how to look after themselves and each other.

They all kept silent, refusing to answer Erwin's given question. He piped up again.

"You guys are skilled with 3D Maneuver Gear. Who taught you?" He asked. Once again, silence.

Erwin paced forwards, closing the distance between him and the raven who kept his head down. We all just watched the scene unfold before us.

"You're their leader, right? Were you trained in the military?" Erwin asked, looking down on the raven. He made movement, tilting his head up slightly to glare at the Commander. I shifted my weight onto one leg, watching in curiosity.

Miche walked up behind the raven and grabbed his head with a loud grunt, before shoving his face into the puddle. My eyes widened at the sight as I thought of how unnecessary that action was.

"You-!" The redhead began as she and the blonde scowled at Miche.

"I'll ask you once again." Erwin started. "Where did you learn to use 3D Maneuver Gear?" The man struggled under Miche's grip, turning his head to glower at Erwin.

"We didn't learn from anyone! We learnt ourselves!" The blonde shouted frantically. My eyebrows raised in surprise.

"Self taught, you say? I don't buy it." Erwin responds nonchalantly.

"It's just so we're able to rise just that little bit in this shitty place!" The blonde spat. "People who are used to the sunlight like you wouldn't understand."

"That's enough! Let Bro go! Don't be cocky because you're soldiers." The redhead hissed. Erwin just stared at them unbothered. Miche pulled the ravens head out of the puddle and I will admit, I pitied him.

Erwin stepped forward before lowering his level, kneeling in front of the raven whose hair was drenched in dirty water. I folded my arms and observed.

"My name is Erwin Smith. And yours is?" Erwin asked calmly, patiently waiting for an answer. Miche's hand remained on the mans head and a few seconds of silence filled the audible void. Before he spoke his first word during our interaction.

"Levi." He answered lowly, his voice hoarse.

"Levi." Erwin repeated. "Why don't we make a deal?"

"A deal?" Levi replied, his voice showed his uneasiness about the offer. Erwin went forth with his 'deal'. I listened eagerly and so did everyone else. Clearly we weren't told about this part.

"I will let your crimes go unpunished. In return, lend me your strength." Erwin answers simply. "Join the Survey Corps."

Levi's expression morphed into a look of confusion and subtle shock. The three rogues gasped softly at the offer. He sat with his eyebrows furrowed, thinking about it.

What if they refuse?

"And if I refuse?" Levi asked.

Took the words straight out of my mouth.

"The Military Police will have you." Erwin answers with no reluctance. The Military Police is the worst option. "Considering all your crimes, you and your friends won't be treated very nicely." He continues before standing and walking back to my side. Levi's gaze followed him before he made eye contact with me.

I maintained it, refusing to back down before he narrows his eyes every so slightly and returned his gaze to Erwin.

"Choose whichever you prefer." Erwin says. Levi pursed his lips, a shadow falling over his eyes as his hair covered them. A long silence once again occurred.

"Fine." He said. The redhead and the blonde expressed their shocked emotions. He spat to the side before lifting his eyes and staring daggers at the Commander. His next words laced with a sense of hatred as his voice was low and raspy.

"I'll join the Survey Corps."

***

HI!
So I think I'll focus more on this story as I wasn't supposed to be releasing chapters on When Fire Meets Ice until like January. So this story will definitely be my main focus for now, but the occasional chapter of WFMI will occur every now and then.

Otherwise, I hope you enjoyed this chapter! The Ackerdaddy is here 😩😩😩

Aishiteru!!

jazz<3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

71.4K 2.7K 19
˚ ༘♡ ·˚ ₊˚ˑ༄ؘ. 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐚 𝐠𝐢𝐫𝐥 𝐭𝐞𝐱𝐭𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐫𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐧𝐮𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐬 𝐮𝐩 𝐛𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐟𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐬 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐞 �...
1.7K 89 8
𝗖𝗢𝗡𝗡𝗜𝗘 𝗦𝗣𝗥𝗜𝗡𝗚𝗘𝗥 𝗫 𝗕𝗟𝗔𝗖𝗞 𝗙𝗘𝗠 𝗥𝗘𝗔𝗗𝗘𝗥 ↣ 𝘪𝘯 𝘸𝘩𝘪𝘤𝘩 𝘺/𝘯- 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘱𝘪𝘳𝘪𝘵𝘶𝘢𝘭/𝘩𝘪𝘱𝘱𝘪𝘦, 𝘨𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘭𝘦, 𝘪𝘯�...
619K 19K 48
❝𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐝𝐞𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐯𝐞 𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧 𝐭𝐨 𝐛𝐞 𝐚𝐭 𝐩𝐞𝐚𝐜𝐞, 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐈 𝐧𝐞𝐞𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮. 𝐈 𝐧𝐞𝐞𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧 𝐚...
174K 5.2K 39
-𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧 𝐱 𝐟𝐞𝐦 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐞𝐫 -𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐦𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐬 -𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐫𝐨 -𝟏𝟖+ -𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐲/𝐧 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧...