LSM Lost Files: TWICE

NotImportantNotAtAll tarafından

From the authors who brought you the fan favourite Lovesick Monster saga, comes an anthology series within th... Daha Fazla

Missing You (Part Two)
Seoul Searching
Kyoto Protocol (Part One)
Kyoto Protocol (Part Two)
Kyoto Protocol (Part Three)
Signal: A Love Story
Signal: Yesterday, Today, And All Tomorrows
Love Foolish: Friendzone
Love Foolish: Eyes Wide Open
Pet Shop
Clear My Mind
Acmé De La Vie
Push and Pull (Part One)
Push and Pull (Part Two)
Karuizawa Stories: Perhaps
Karuizawa Stories: Big, Blonde, and Beautiful
Karuizawa Stories: For Your Heart, I'm Qualified
Karuizawa Stories: Ready to Be
Karuizawa Stories: Moonlight Sunrise
Mother
Set Me Free

Missing You (Part One)

4.5K 39 20
NotImportantNotAtAll tarafından

Written by jisoosimpXD, our dear friend and co-author.

* * *

I pulled my scarf down from my nose as I walked into the convention centre. I sighed contentedly as the warm air brought respite to the chilly autumn wind outside.

"Now, where is this fan sign event..."

I heard a scream and I whipped my head around to see a hoard of people swarming 9 girls. When in doubt, follow the crowd.

I quickly set off in the direction of the crowd. I followed the hoard of people as they throng the 9 girls. Yup, I was at a Twice fan sign event. While most people were here to get their albums signed and take photos with the gorgeous girls, I was only there to see one of them.

Son Chae Young.

It's been years since I'd seen her since she left to become a trainee. I could still recall the day we both parted ways.

* * *

"Here Yori, take this," she said, handing me her dark blue scarf.
"Chae...wha–"
"It's for you to remember me by," she replied.

I smiled and accepted the neatly folded scarf. She pulled me into a warm hug as I felt her tears wetting the side of your neck.

"Thank you for everything Yoriichi, I'll never forget you..." she whispered.
"You're most welcomed, Chae... Now go get-em' Baby Cub, keep in touch yea?" I said as I held back tears stinging my eyes.

Chaeyoung pulled away and looked at me. We reluctantly let go of each other as she walked towards the van where her mother was waiting for her. She waved goodbye to me one last time before getting into the van with her mom. I watched as the back of the van slowly got further and further away.

* * *

I gripped the scarf around my neck as I recalled the last time I saw Chaeyoung in person. That was 10 whole years ago when she left her hometown to join JYPE and later on appeared in their reality survival show SIXTEEN. She absolutely killed it there, landing herself a spot in Twice. I continued to follow the crowd as I began to wonder how she's doing now.

The paparazzis continued to follow the 9 girls as they walked towards one of the many expo halls in this convention center. Security stopped everyone as the 9 girls slipped into the room. While waiting, I decided to head over to one of the booths and purchase one of their albums.

Huh.... It's no use coming to a fan sign event if you've got nothing for them to sign.

I bought their latest mini-album 'Taste of Love' and headed back to the anxiously waiting crowd. A few moments later, the guards pulled the two massive doors open, and I tried my best to jostle forward in the surge of people rushing into the room, all the while maintaining physical distancing measures. After all, we were still in a global pandemic.

Everyone looked desperate to get a good seat for the fan sign event, the first after the pandemic hit last year. Shit. This won't do. I quickly stepped out of the sea of people and let them all finish going full 'Hunger Games'-mode on each other (completely disregarding COVID safety protocols. Poor health officials shouting in vain), before I myself walked into the hall.

I looked up to the stage, and there they were. The nine girls were chatting happily. They were sitting at nine separate tables, each separated by acrylic separators, and half of each table was also separated with an acrylic separator. It was a normal sight, because of COVID protocols. I chuckled. They were practically sitting in nine acrylic boxes. I scanned them with my eyes, and finally, my sight landed on that girl. What I saw took my breath away.

Chaeyoung had a major glow-up from her teenage days. The once childish Baby Cub was now a full grown Tigress. She had lost her baby fat and her eyes seemed a lot larger than last time. She had grown out her hair, replacing her old jet black hair and tomboyish haircut with gorgeous pale blonde long, wavy hair, tied in two buns. Gosh. She was beautiful.

I snapped myself out of my gawking and quickly found a seat in the back row. As soon as I sat, the event began. The girls stood up, gathered at the center of the stage, and their leader, the one with tan skin and shoulder length black hair, counted down.

"Hana, ddul, set..."
"One in a million! Annyeonghaseyo... TWICE-imnida!" the girls exclaimed.

The crowd went wild. Shrieks and screams and shouts came from ONCEs on your left and right, threatening to burst your eardrums. The girl with the bunny teeth at the center of the group giggled and lifted her microphone.

"ONCEu! Are you guys excited for the Fan Sign today?" she asked loudly. What was her name again? Na... Ah! Nayeon!

The crowd roared in response to Nayeon's question.

"We're excited too! Let's get straight to it!" she exclaimed, and the other eight cheered with her.
"Oh, don't forget ONCEu! After the fan sign, we will choose one lucky ONCE to get an opportunity to spend some time with us backstage later!" the pale girl on the right hand side of the line announced.
"Mm! Yeorobun, put on your best behaviour today, okay?" exclaimed the leader again.

The fans started murmuring amongst themselves as I chuckled at the false hope they gave themselves. Sure, I'd kill to spend some time with Chaeyoung again, but what were my odds? I should stay grounded in reality. Nayeon chimed in again.

"We'll start signing from the first row to the last! Please get onto the stage from your left, and exit from your right! Ja, yeorobun... Let's get started!" Nayeon announced happily.

I counted the number of rows in front of me. Good Lord... 20 whole rows of at least 100 people, sitting one meter apart. I sighed. Well, I guess I'd have to wait. I sank back into my thoughts as I replayed how I even met that young rapper in the first place. As all things usually start, it started in elementary school.

* * *

Son Chaeyoung had just moved into my neighborhood in Jamsil from her old neighborhood on the other side of Han River. Back then, Chaeyoung was very different from what she was in 2021. It was hard to believe that the bubbly and cute Baby Beast that the world has come to know and love now was once a shy and reserved girl. To my credit, I was the person that flipped her personality full 180, but we'll get to that part later.

I still remember the first day I saw her vividly. It was the third year of elementary school. Chaeyoung was sitting by herself in the corner of the classroom, doodling away on her notebook. She was a newly transferred student anyway, and it was her first day at school, so no one was talking to her, not at least until I showed up. I walked up next to Chaeyoung and plopped myself in the seat right next to her.

"Annyeong! Never seen you around before. You new?" I asked.

Chaeyoung looked up and saw me staring at her, gazing at her with intense curiosity.

"U–Um... Y–Ye," she replied shyly in a small voice. I extended my hand to her.
"Tomioka Yoriichi, but you can call me Yori. Nice to meet you!" I exclaimed.

Chaeyoung hesitated for a second before returning the shake.

"You're... Not from around here, are you?" she asked. I let out a bright bubbly laugh.
"Well... I'm from Jamsil, if that's what you're saying. But, yeah, you're right. My Dad's Japanese and my Mom's Korean," I explained. "You're observant! I like it!"

Chaeyoung nodded, understanding my words.

"So... What's your name?" I asked her.
"S–Son... Son Chae Young," she stuttered.
"Ooo! That's a pretty name! Pleased to meet you, Chaeyoung!" I said.

The girl just nodded, before going back to her drawings. I was curious.

"What are you drawing?" I asked curiously, peering over her shoulder.

Chaeyoung was drawing a sketch of the classroom. I gasped. Wow! It was in an incredibly high detail!

"Sugoi! That looks good!" I exclaimed. Chaeyoung was clearly surprised at how friendly I was being to a new girl like her.
"K–Kamsahamnida..." she muttered shyly.
"Ya, you wanna sit together at lunch later?" I asked.

Chaeyoung turned and stared at you in shock.

"W–With... M–Me?" she stammered. I smiled and nodded.
"Absolutely! I want to be your friend!" I replied. Chaeyoung was taken aback.
"F–F–Friend?" she asked, unable to believe her ears.
"Yup! Of course!"
"B–But... Why? I–I... I'm not that important," Chaeyoung said.

I stared at her in confusion.

"Eh? What are you saying? That's nonsense! My dad always says that everyone in this world is important! Everyone and everything deserves to be loved and cared for!" I exclaimed, repeating my dad's mantra.

Chaeyoung stared at me in amazement. I met her eyes, my gaze unwavering.

"My offer still stands, Chaeng!"
"W–What did you call me?"
"Chaeng. It's shorter and cuter," I said.

A small giggle escaped her mouth. Finally, she nodded.

"I–I... Okay. Let's sit together," she replied, and with that, you saw her smiling for the first time.

That exchange, that smile, was the beginning of your relationship.

During lunch, we talked happily. To my surprise, the two of us lived directly opposite of each other's houses, making us neighbours. From that day onwards, I would walk to and back from school with Chaeyoung. In fact, I helped her adjust to her new life in Jamsil.

As days turned into weeks, weeks into months, and months into years, we got to learn more and more about each other. She was surprised to find that my father came from a family of Japanese swordsmen, dating back to the Edo period, and the I myself was training under the art of the katana.

At first, Chaeyoung thought that my training was limited to cutting tatami mats with a katana, like what she saw on videos, but her view was flipped upside down on the day I invited her to watch me train with my dad.

The training was nothing like the videos. Dad and I actually dueled against each other with wooden swords and–on some occasion–real unsharpened katanas. Chaeyoung was absolutely blown away by the sheer speed and dexterity that dad and I possessed. She could barely keep up with the swift strikes and flips I performed as I sparred with dad.

She witnessed me getting knocked to the ground numerous times as I clashed swords with my powerful dad. My wooden training blade would clatter to the ground, or I would be sent flying into one of the trees in my backyard. But I would simply get up and run to get back into the fight with the same gusto and energy I had when I started.

As time passed, Chaeyoung and I grew closer and closer together. Pretty soon, we were best friends. Chaeyoung would often come over to my house after school to finish up homework or watch me train with dad. My parents accepted her as if she was their own daughter and treated her with love and affection, telling her that my house was her second home.

I, on the other hand, hardly–no... Never–got invited over to her place. Chaeyoung always gave the excuse that her parents dislike strangers coming over. Throughout elementary school, I accepted it, because I didn't know better, but soon middle school came, and the story took a different turn.

After we graduated from elementary school and entered the same middle school together, Chaeyoung strangely became a little more... Distant. She was often wearing a jacket over her short-sleeved school uniform, even in summer, despite the fact that the country was practically a fucking oven.

She also started to shy away from me physically, often winching or yelping in pain when I tapped her on her shoulders or flung my arm around her. I would ask her, but she would deflect the question and change the topic.

I observed her for a few weeks, then finally, I understood. I realized what was going on with her, and I knew I had to do something. I built up my courage to confront her one afternoon after school.

It was like any other day. Chaeyoung and I grabbed our lunch boxes and headed to our usual spot under the shade of a tall tree in our school to eat our lunch. As I ate with Chaeyoung in silence, I took a deep breath and stared at her.

"Chaeng..."
"Hm?"
"Can I ask you something? And... Promise me you'll be perfectly honest with me."
"Sure! Ask away, Yori..."

I set my lunchbox down on the grass and took another deep breath. I stared at her kindly.

"Chaeng... Do your parents abuse you?"

Chaeyoung freezed. Slowly, she turned to look at me, and I could immediately tell what that look was. That was fear. I instantly knew the answer to my question.

"Oh God, Chaeng..."
"P–P–Please... Don't tell anyone! Please. He–He'll hurt us!"
"He? Who's he, Chaeng?"

Chaeyoung started shaking. I gently took her lunchbox and set it down next to mine, before gingerly grasping her shaking hands and squeezing them gently.

"Chaeng, I'm here... Just tell me. Please..."

Chaeyoung looked down, tears started streaming from her eyes.

"I–I–I... It's... It's my dad. He got laid off from his job... A–A few years ago... And.... And ever since then, he–he... He would come home... D–D–Drunk, and... And he'd... He'd hit mom... And–and me too," she whispered, her voice trembling.

My heart sank. I squeezed her hands again.

"Chaeng, how bad is it?"
"N–Not... Not too bad..."

She didn't sound convincing.

"Let me see..." I whispered gently.

I pinched the fabric of her jacket. Chaeyoung initially moved as if trying to resist, but then she gave in. Gently, I slipped off the sleeve of her jacket. I was horrified by what I saw.

Chaeyoung's milky white skin was spotted with black and blue bruises. I looked Chaeyoung in the eyes.

"How long has this been happening, Chaeng?"

Chaeyoung stayed silent.

"Chaeng..."
"Since... Since I was eight..."

A gasp left my mouth. That was almost as long as you knew her! That meant... More than four years of torture?

"Chaeng... You... You could've told me. My family could've helped you!"
"N–No! No... I... I can't get your family hurt, Yori! I–I'd never forgive myself if anyone from your family got hurt!"
"Oh, Chaeng...:"

Chaeyoung was crying now. I pulled her into a hug, and she instinctively hugged me back. She clung to my shirt, and I let her bawl on my shoulder for a few moments.

"Promise me... P–Promise me you won't tell anyone," she whispered eventually.

I nodded solemnly, though I already knew I'd be breaking that promise as soon as I got home. Still, I decided to lie to her, just to calm her down.

"I won't, Chaeng..."

I wanted to pull away, but Chaeyoung kept me locked in her embrace. I decided to just let her sit there in my arms for a while, appreciating the comfort we gave each other.

"Chaeng?"
"Hm?"
"I want you to know that... Whenever you need help, my family is one call away," I whispered.
"Gomawo, Yori..." she whispered.

As soon as the school day ended, I walked back home with Chaeyoung. I was reluctant to let her go back to her home, to that monster she called her father, but... I knew I couldn't do anything.

I waved goodbye to Chaeyoung, telling her to be careful, and I walked across the street, entering my house.

"Eomma! I'm home!" I called out as I stepped through the door.
"Ah! Great timing, Yori! Come, have some tea!"

I sat down with my mom and ate the snacks she had prepared. As I ate, Chaeyoung's words repeatedly echoed inside my mind.

Since I was 8...

"Yori-kun! Is everything alright?" Mom asked. I lifted my head and stared at her.
"Okasan, can... Can I talk to you about something?" I asked.
"Sure. What... What happened?"

I told her about everything that Chaeyoung said. When I finished, mom had a shocked expression on her face.

"That's... A long time she's been keeping it to herself. We must do something!"
"Eomma, wait... I promised her that I wouldn't tell anyone. I don't wanna break her trust," I said.

My mom stared at me with a searching gaze, but she didn't say anything, so I continued.

"I–I... I've already told her to contact me as soon as she needs help. When she does, I'll let you and Appa know," I said.

A smile curved up on mom's lips.

"You've grown, Yoriichi..." she uttered.
"Thanks, Okasan..."

"One more thing, though. Stop switching between Korean and Japanese! You're giving me a headache!" she scolded me. I smiled sheepishly.

That night, my mom and dad went out to eat dinner, leaving me alone in the house. I was finishing up my Math homework when I suddenly got a call from Chaeyoung. I slide the green button and answered my phone.

"Chaeng! What's up?" I asked with a smile.
"Help..."

My smile vanished.

"I'm coming."

I immediately hung up and called 119, the police. They told me they'd come in a few minutes, but knowing how dangerous Chaeyoung's situation was, I knew I couldn't waste any minute. I rushed to my wardrobe and threw it open. I grabbed my wooden katana, and rushed out of my room.

I bolted down the stairs and out of the door, dashing across the street to Chaeyoung's house. I reached, and banged on the front door.

"CHAENG! CHAEYOUNG! SON CHAE YOUNG!" I yelled.

I could hear her crying. Shit. Shit! I tried the handle. It was locked. Of course.

This didn't deter me. I backed up, gaining momentum, and ran as fast as I could at the door and kicked it with all I got. The door swung open with a bang, and I quickly rushed inside. I drew my wooden blade from its scabbard and located Chaeyoung's sobs. It was from upstairs.

"Appa! Please! Stop!"

I rushed up the stairs in time to see Chaeyoung cradling her mother. She was out cold, blood trickling from her temple. Chaeyoung's face was full of terror.

"YA!" I yelled.

Chaeyoung's father turned around, and my breath hitched.

He was holding a knife. There was blood on it.

I look at Chaeyoung's mom, then back at the blade. My pupils widened in horror. Did he... No. I shook away the thought, and striked a defensive stance.

"W–Who... hic... The hell... hic... are you?" Chaeyoung's dad slurred.
"Step away from Chaeyoung," I replied calmly. I tightened the grip on my training blade. The man laughed.
"What... Are you hic gonna do, little man? Huh? Hit me with that... hic... Stick of yours?" he mocked.

I kept a stoic expression on my face as I slowly stepped closer towards him.

"I will, if you don't step away!"

He grinned wickedly.

"I'll take my chances against you, boy!"

For a guy drunk off his face, he was incredibly fast. He charged at me with the knife in his hand. I sidestepped quickly as he ran past me. I took this opportunity to run over and stood in front of Chaeyoung and her mother.

Chaeyoung's dad whipped around and charged at me again. This time, I hold my ground firmly, ready to lay down my life for them. He swung his knife, but I raised my blade to meet his and blocked the slash. The sound of metal clashing against wood filled the room, and we started to fight.

We fought for God knows how long, and I found myself struggling to cope with his raw strength. Each time I blocked his attack, I felt vibrations from the blowback. After dealing with one of his strongest downward slash, he caught me off guard by slashing up again almost immediately. I wasn't quick enough. I couldn't block his knife...

And he caught my left eye.

"AAH!!!"
"YORI!"

I cried out and clutched my face. My wooden katana clattered to the floor, and he took it, broke it in two on his knee, and he kicked me out so hard, sending me flying down the room.

I rolled up and rushed back to stand in front of Chaeyoung and her mother. My left eye–or what was left of it–stung so much, my head started spinning from the pain. I glanced back, and at that moment Chaeyoung saw my eye.

"Y–Yori! Y–Your... Your eye!" Chaeyoung stuttered in horror.
"I–I'm fine, Chaeng..." I lied.

I blocked out the pain and straightened myself, the entire left field of my vision turning red. I clutched my broken katana with both hands as I prepared to make my final stand.

"Say goodbye, Little Boy..." Chaeyoung's father mocked.

He charged towards me and I prepared myself for the worst.

BANG

I gasped in shock. A hole appeared on Chaeyoung's dad's chest. As if in slow motion, he crumpled to the floor, flat on his face. The knife dropped from his hands and clattered to the ground. I looked up, and saw a police officer with a smoking gun.

I heaved a sigh of relief, but at that moment the pain came stabbing back at my eye. I heard Chaeyoung screaming my name, but the world turned black.

* * *

I heard the sound of a heart monitor beeping. The smell of antiseptic wafted into my nose as I slowly opened my eyes and saw my very worried parents seated and my bedside. I was in the hospital.

"Oh, thank God you're awake!" mom exclaimed as she wrapped me in her arms.
"H–How long was I..."
"Two whole days," said Dad.

Jesus. That was quite some time. At that moment, the ward's door slid open, and a doctor walked inside. His eyes widened as he saw me, and a smile rose on his face.

"Ah! Yori-ssi, you're awake! That's good!" he said.

I smiled, but then I felt the bandage covering the left side of my face. I looked up, and saw his expression. It was a mix of pity and disappointment. Dad caught this too, and he asked him.

"How's... How will his eye be, Seonsaengnim?" Dad asked. The doctor looked uneasy.
"Y–Yeah, about that... I... We've tried our best. Let me see..." he said as he flipped through the papers on his clipboard. "The cut on your skin is thankfully superficial, but... Your eye. We managed to salvage the eye, but the blade cut through your cornea..."

I knew what that meant. Mom and Dad looked at me, before looking back at the doctor.

"I'm... I'm very sorry to inform you, but... You're blind in your left eye. I'm very sorry," he said slowly.

I let out a sigh and leaned back on the bed. Somehow, I was unnaturally calm about this. Maybe it was the shock. I reached up to the left side of my face, feeling the bandage.

"Joesonghamnida..." the doctor uttered again, before bowing deeply and walking out of the room.

I turned to my parents, and I saw mom holding back her tears. I smiled and reached to hold her hand. As soon as we touched, tears flowed down from her eyes.

"Eomma... Gwaenchanha... I can still see," I said, comforting her.

She broke down in tears, but she nodded and forced a smile. Dad flung his arm around her, and he held my hair, ruffling it. His eyes were wet too. At that moment, I saw too familiar figures entering the ward.

"A–Ah, Miss Son, Chaeng... Annyeonghaseyo," I stuttered.

My parents turned around and bowed at them. Chaeyoung and her mom bowed deeply and smiled, approaching the bed. Chaeyoung's face was filled with worry as she reached my bedside and squeezed my hand.

"How are you feeling, Yoriichi?" Chaeyoung's mom asked. I flashed her the brightest smile I could muster.
"I'm doing great, Eommonim. Are you okay?" I asked her. She sighed and shook her head.
"I–I... I'm fine, thanks to you... If... If you hadn't stepped in... I don't know..." she trailed off.

I smiled again, and then I looked at my best friend.

"Chaeng..."

She was in tears. Dad stood up and hugged mom.

"I think... We should give these two some time alone," he said wisely.

The two mothers nodded. I smiled and nodded to my dad, thanking him. He smiled back, squeezed my shoulder, and went out with our mothers. As the door closed, I looked at Chaeyoung again.

"Chaeng, I..."

She threw herself on me, bawling and shaking. Somehow, I chuckled. Slowly, I stroked her hair.

"Yo–ri... I–I'm s–so... So sorry..." she sobbed.
"Why are you sorry? It was my choice. Don't blame yourself," I whispered.
"B–But your eye... B–"
"It's nothing, Chaeng. You're safe... That's all that matters," I whispered again.

She lifted her face and stared at you with her teary eyes. It took her a long time before finally she spoke again.

"Yori... You... You're the best friend I could ever ask for... Thank you..." she whispered.

I smiled and pulled to hug her again, and at that moment I felt a comfortable warmth filling my heart and body.

* * *

Two weeks later, I was finally discharged. My parents, as well as Chaeyoung and her mom, picked me up from the hospital, and we went home happily. As we reached home, I was pleasantly surprised to find that Chaeyoung and her mom had moved into the spare room in my house. Mom explained that they couldn't come back to their old house because there was too much horrifying memory inside it, but I didn't care. I was simply so happy.

From then on, they lived together with me and my family. My parents took them in with open arms, and we all shared a peaceful time. Now that her father was gone, Chaeyoung became more cheerful and started to have her own dreams. As time passed, Chaeyoung had a new goal in mind:

She wanted to become an idol.

Chaeyoung started training. She initially landed some deals to become a child model in several children's magazines, but that wasn't her dream. When we turned 13, Chaeyoung started taking singing and dance lessons, and she practiced tirelessly. She started auditioning in multiple companies around the country, but each time, she would come back even more dejected than the last.

Many times, she would come into my room crying over the hurtful words said to her by the audition directors. At first I thought it wasn't that bad, but after she told me what they said, I could understand why she cried so hard.

Many of them told her that she 'lacked talent' and that she 'wouldn't go far in the industry with her looks'. Sure, she was different from the so-called Korean beauty standard, her being short and had a unique beauty, but apparently that stopped many companies from hiring her. After many failed auditions, Chaeyoung seemed to abandon her dream to become an idol. But then, that day came.

It was the start of our summer break. We had just turned 14, and Chaeyoung ran into the backyard screaming so loud I was afraid that the police would come because we had caused a public nuisance. I was chopping a tatami mat, and her high pitched squeal shocked me out of my skin, so much so I dropped my katana.

"Jesus Christ, Son Chaeyoung! My ears!" I exclaimed.

Chaeyoung just giggled in excitement.

"YORI! I GOT IN! I GOT IN!" she yelled, waving a letter in her hand.

My eyes widened in surprise, and I rushed to meet her. She handed me the letter while hopping in the same place repeatedly, looking like an excited little tiger cub. I opened the letter and read it.

To: Miss Son Chae-Young
Jamsil-dong, Seongpa-Gu, Seoul

Annyeong Hashimnikka, Son Chae Young-ssi!
We hope this letter finds you well.

We are delighted to tell you that you have passed the 2013 second round audition to JYP Entertainment. You are officially our trainee now. Congratulations!

Please take note that your training will start on Monday, June 17th, 2013. Transportation and accommodation arrangements will be made for you to move to the JYPE's Trainees Dorm in Cheongdam-dong. Should there be a need for your guardian to move in closer with you, we are more than happy to arrange a new residence for them as well. Please reply to this letter to inform us of your needs.

On behalf of CEO Jin Young Park and everyone at JYP Entertainment, we would like to congratulate you again! We are excited to welcome you into JYP Nation, and for you to begin your training with us.

Best regards,

JYPE Talent Recruitment Director
JYP Entertainment: Leader in Entertainment

I looked up, and Chaeyoung was grinning from ear to ear. I laughed, jumped for joy, and hugged Chaeyoung. We skipped around the backyard like two toddlers, cheering together loudly.

"Oh my God, Chaeyoung! I'm so happy for you!" I exclaimed.
"Yaaaaayyy!!! Thank you, Yori! I'm so, so, so happy!" she yelled.

We continued cheering for a while, until finally we slumped on the grass, panting and giggling together. She looked at you and smiled.

"Yori... I couldn't have done it without your encouragement. I wanted to give up so many times," she said sincerely. I smiled.
"Don't mention it. You deserve this, Chaeng... You'll be a superstar!" I said excitedly.

Chaeyoung chuckled, but then I caught sorrow in her eyes. She looked up and stared at me intently.

"But... June 17th... That's next week. I'm going to leave here soon... I–I hope you're not mad..." she whispered sheepishly.

I smiled and grasped her hand.

"Chaeng, you're following your dreams! How could I be mad? Besides, we still have the rest of the week to do anything we want to do together!" I replied, ruffling her hair.

She laughed and squeezed my hand.

"Then, let's make this week a week we'll remember for the rest of our lives!" she exclaimed.

I laughed as she shot up and dragged me inside. I followed her, and we both shouted a quick word to our parents before we headed out together to have fun.

The next few days were a blast as we spent almost every waking hour of the day together. We went to the arcade, ate way too much street food, and had a totally fun time together. But, as always, all good things must come to an end.

June 17th came, and it was finally time for Chaeyoung to go. As the movers helped put their things in the van, Chaeyoung's mother was busy talking with my parents, while Chaeyoung and I sat in silence in the backyard under the tree.

I looked at her, and she looked at me too. We smiled, but then we looked away. We knew we had to say goodbye, but it felt so difficult. Finally, Chaeyoung took a deep breath and said,

"So..."
"So..."
"It's finally time, huh?"
"Yeah... Last week passed way too quickly," I said with a chuckle.

To my surprise, she rested her head on my shoulder. I sat there gingerly, unsure of what to say or do. The summer breeze blew, and Chaeyoung hugged my arm tightly. I wanted this moment to last forever. I didn't want her to let me go. Suddenly, I remembered something.

"Oh! Chaeng... Before I forget..." I said.
"What is it, Yori?"

Chaeyoung watched as I pulled out a folded parchment paper wrapped in a brown string. I handed it to her, and she received it with a confused look.

"Open it," I said.

Chaeyoung grabbed both ends of the string and pulled, undoing the bunny knot. She slowly unwrapped the paper to see... A sun necklace inside. She gasped, and her eyes widened.

"Yori..." she whispered as she lifted it up. I chuckled sheepishly.
"I–I... I thought I'd give it to you because... You know... Son Chaeyoung?" I joked.

She burst into laughter at my incredibly bad pun.

"Ya! Tomioka Yoriichi! You're so lame!" she exclaimed, but she looked happy.

Chaeyoung examined the necklace in her hands. I stared at her, and at that moment I realized it. She... She was really beautiful. I felt heat rushing to my face, but I couldn't take my eyes away from her.

"It's beautiful..." she uttered.
"I know..." I said, but I was referring to something else. She chuckled and looked at me.
"Help me put it on!" she said, handing me the necklace.
"O–Of course!" I stuttered.

I took the necklace, and she turned her back on me. I gently lifted her hair, and hooked the necklace on. Somehow, my hands were trembling. The clasp shut with a click, and she turned back to face me.

"I'm sorry, Yori... I didn't prepare anything for you..." she muttered. I shook my head and smiled.
"No, no, it's... It's alright, Chaeng! I don't expect anything!" I replied.

Chaeyoung went silent. She kept staring at me, and I noticed her smile was gone. I was alarmed.

"Chaeng? Is everything alright?"

Her eyes brimmed with tears. She lunged at me and gave me a tight hug. I instinctively hugged back, brushing her short hair.

"I'm gonna miss you so... so... so much, Yori! So–so much..." she whispered through her sobs.
"Me too, Chaeng... Me too..." I said, and I noticed my voice was breaking a little.
"U–Um, guys...?"

The two of us got startled, and we let go of our embrace quickly. Chaeyoung's mother stepped into the backyard, and she had a knowing smile on her face.

"Chaeng, it's time. We gotta go..." she said.
"Y–yeah. Sure. Let's go, Eomma..." Chaeyoung replied, wiping her tears quickly.

I followed them to the front door. My parents gave Chaeyoung a big, warm hug. They hugged her so tightly, people would think that she was their daughter too.

"Stay safe, Chaeyoung-chan... Be sure to keep us updated, okay?" said my dad.
"You have to contact us every now and then! If not, Yoriichi will be lonely..." mom said teasingly.
"Eomma–!" I complained.

The three of them laughed at my flustered state. My parents let go of Chaeyoung so she could join her mother. As they walked to the van, Chaeyoung suddenly stopped and ran back to me. She took off her scarf and folded it neatly before handing it to me.

"Here Yori, take this," she said, handing me her dark blue scarf.
"Chae...wha–"
"It's for you to remember me by," she replied.

I smiled and accepted the neatly folded scarf. She pulled me into a warm hug as I felt her tears wetting the side of my neck.

"Thank you for everything Yoriichi, I'll never forget you..." she whispered.

"You're most welcomed, Chae... Now go get-em' Baby Cub, keep in touch yea?" I said as I held back tears stinging my eyes.

Chaeyoung pulled away and looked at me. We reluctantly let go of each other as she walked towards the van where her mother was waiting for her. She waved goodbye to me one last time before getting into the van with her mom. I watched as the back of the van slowly got further and further away.

* * *

"Chogi-yo! Son-nim!"

I snapped out of my flashback and turned to see two buff men standing over me. From their uniform, they were JYPE bodyguards.

"Son-nim, it's your row's turn. Please move. You're holding up the line," one said sternly.

I blushed and quickly stood up, grabbing my album with me. I heard a few grumbles of displeasure from behind me as I made my way out. As I reached the stage, I had a quick debate in my head about whether or not to cover my face. I finally decided that I should, and I pulled Chaeyoung's scarf over my face.

I reached the stage, and I placed the album in front of the first member and slid in into her side of the barrier. They were seated by order of age, so the one of the leftmost was that bunny girl from earlier, Nayeon.

"Annyeong! What's your name?" Nayeon asked as she started signing my album.
"Tomioka Yoriichi," I said.
"Oh? Japanese?" she asked kindly, flashing her bunny teeth.
"N–Ne..." I said, rather nervously.
"Cool! Just head down the line, and the rest will sign your album!" she exclaimed happily as she handed me back my album.
"A–Ah, ye... Kamsahamnida, Nayeon-ssi!" I said.
"Don't mention it!"

Nayeon then turned and said to the tall girl with short hair who sat next to her.

"Jeongie, tell the rest that his name is Tomioka Yoriichi!"

* * *

Nayeon-unnie said something to Jeongyeon-unnie. Sana-unnie's girlfriend nodded and began to whisper something to Momo. The message started being passed down the tables as I waited patiently for it to reach me. Finally, Dahyun whispered to my ear.

"His name is Tomioka Yoriichi," she said.

My heart stopped.

Tomioka... Yoriichi? He's here?

I leaned forward to look down the line, and sure enough, I saw a man in a white hoodie and dark blue scarf wrapped around his neck, covering his nose and mouth. That was my scarf. That was him. That was my best friend.

A vivid image played in my mind. His left eye slashed and bloodied, him staggering to his feet with his broken wooden katana.

Yori... It's been so long. Do you still remember me?

"Hi there! Tomioka Yoriichi, right?" Dahyun said cheerfully, snapping me out of my trance.
"That's my name!" he said.
"Are you planning to remove that scarf anytime soon?" asked Dahyun playfully.
"N–No... I prefer to keep it on... COVID safety, you see... And... It reminds me of someone dear..." he uttered.

He remembered me.

"Oooo! Mysterious! I like it. Maybe we'll call you backstage later to reveal your face!" Dahyun cheerfully chirped. He laughed.
"N–Nah... I wouldn't count on it..." he said shyly. Dahyun giggled.
"Alright! Just head down the line! Two more to go!" the pale girl said.

Dahyun handed the album back to him, and he moved. He sat down and placed the album on my table. I slowly looked up, and sure enough, those familiar dark blue and milk white eyes stared back at me.

"Hi, Chaeng..." he said.

I just stared at him, unable to speak.

"Chaeng... Are you okay?" Dahyun whispered.

I snapped out of my reverie and turned to her.

"You alright?" she asked.
"Y–Yeah. Just... Zoning out. Sorry," I said. She furrowed her brow, but then she shrugged.
"Good. Ya, quickly sign the album. We've still got a few left," she whispered.
"Y–Yeah! Right!" I said.

I quickly grabbed my marker and signed the album, before handing it back to Yori with a trembling hand. I met his eyes. I opened my mouth, I wanted to say something, but nothing came out of my mouth. Slowly, he gave me his eye-smile.

"Great seeing you again, Chaeyoung..." he whispered, before standing up and sitting in front of Tzuyu.

The next fan sat in front of me, but I was out of it. I signed the next few albums absentmindedly. My mind was fixed on Yori. Slowly, my fingers traced the sun necklace on my neck. Yori. My Tomioka Yoriichi. He still remembered me... Even after I cut contact with him... He still remembered me.

* * *

The last row took their seats, and Nayeon spoke again.

"Phew... That was tiring... But we're so happy to be able to meet you, aren't we, girls?" she exclaimed to the microphone.
"NEE!" the girls exclaimed loudly, and the crowd cheered.
"Okay, now... For the moment you've all been waiting for! Please give us a moment to discuss, okay?" Jihyo said.

The girls form a huddle as they discuss who the lucky ONCE would be to spend some time with them. The room fell silent. Anticipation hung in the air.

I sighed as I recalled the look of shock on Chaeyoung's face. Yeah. She definitely still remembered me. I didn't have the chance to look at her neck, though. Was she still wearing that sun pendant?

The girls finally broke apart and went back to their seats. Jihyo picked up her microphone and smiled wide. She took a deep breath and addressed the crowd.

"Alright ONCEu! We'll announce it now!"
"Hang on, Jihyo-ssi! Drumroll please, ONCEu!" interjected Nayeon, giggling cutely.

Everyone started slapping their thighs, making an impromptu drumroll sound. Nayeon nodded at Jihyo, and the leader took another deep breath before speaking.

"The lucky ONCE tonight is..." she teased.

The drum rolls intensified.

"The one and only..."

You caught the Twice girls glancing at one direction. Was it at... Chaeyoung? Jihyo opened her mouth.

"TOMIOKA YORIICHI!"

Everyone gasped and cheered, but I was stunned. My eyes widened. My ears were ringing. Shit. Was this Chaeyoung's doing?

"Yeorobun! That's all for tonight! It was so good to finally be able to see you all again, even with all the limitations!" exclaimed Sana, the cute Japanese girl.
"Please stay healthy and happy, everyone! Please show lots of love for us during this Alcohol Free era, and many eras afterwards!" said Mina, the elegant Japanese girl.
"Annyeong, Yeorobun! ONCEu... Saranghae!" said Nayeon, and the nine girls waved.

The crowd cheered and waved at the girls, who kept waving, smiling, and throwing finger hearts to the audience. They slowly walked off stage, and soon disappeared backstage.

As 'Alcohol Free' blasted through the speakers, everyone started dispersing. Two JYPE staff members approached me. I stood up, feeling the jealous stares of everyone around me, and followed them backstage. I followed them quietly. They opened a door, and revealed a small room with a couch on it.

"Please wait here, Tomioka-ssi. The girls will join you promptly," one of them said.
"N–Ne. Algaesumnida," I said.

I sat down on the sofa. With an anxious heart, I waited for the girls to come in.

* * *

I walked with the girls back towards the dressing room, but I wasn't thinking straight. I let my legs move my body, and as soon as we entered the dressing room, I automatically walked towards the door that connected it to the green room, where Yori would be waiting.

"Hang on, Chaeng!"

Jihyo had just called me. I stopped, sighed, and turned to face her.

"Before we go into that room and meet him... Do you have something to tell us, Chaeng?" she asked, crossing her arms. I felt my face blushing red.
"I–I... N–Not really, Unnie..." I stuttered.
"Are you sure? Cause the way you've been acting since you saw this Tomioka guy says otherwise," she said sharply.

Shit. I couldn't hide anything from our leader, could I? I sighed, and I began to explain.

"Y–Yori... And I... We have... A history," I started. The girls gasped.
"Oh? Did you guys... Date?" Nayeon asked. I shook my head.
"N–No, Unnie..." I uttered.

But I wished we did.

"He's... He's a childhood friend. He's the reason I'm here in the first place," I said.
"Then... Why do you look so scared to see him again? You're so pale," asked Jeongyeon.
"I–I... Well... When I left to become a trainee, I... I sort of... Cut all contact with him," I uttered.

The girls gasped.

"B–But, why?" asked Sana, sounding confused.
"M–My... My schedule got hectic real quick, as you all are aware. I barely had enough time to rest, and... And contacting him just... Just slipped my mind. Now... N–Now I'm scared that he's angry at me..." I said, my voice shaking.

The girls sighed and stared at me. I didn't know what to do. I felt helpless. Finally, Mina-unnie walked slowly towards me. She gently grasped my hands and stared at my eyes kindly.

"Chaeng... What about this... You go in there, and you talk to him one on one. I don't think he'll be angry at you, but... I might be wrong, so I think this is something that you'll want to settle on your own with him, without us inside," she said gently.

I met her gaze. I didn't know what to say, but I knew I was afraid. I wanted to hide behind my sisters. But, Mina-unnie was right. Of course she was right. I didn't say anything, and she took it as me agreeing. Mina looked at Jihyo, and our leader nodded.

"Whenever you're ready, tell us. We'll come in," she suggested.

In truth, I was really reluctant. I was scared that Yori would be upset because I had abandoned him for 8 years. But I was outnumbered 8 to 1, because the other girls nodded confidently too. Finally, I sighed. There was no other way.

"Fine..." I uttered.

Mina squeezed my hand, giving me encouragement. Slowly, I turned, and with a trembling hand, I opened the door. I took a deep breath, and stepped in. Yori looked up from the sofa as I closed the door behind me. He had taken his scarf off. He was smiling.

"Chaeng..."
"H–Hi, Y–Yori..."

Silence fell. He cleared his throat.

"I–It's been some time, hasn't it?" he asked.

He gestured to the space beside him, telling me to sit, but for some reason, I stood still in my place. My heart was beating fast. I looked down, and I spoke.

"I–I'm sorry..."
"What for?"
"You know exactly what for," I spat.

I knew there was too much hatred in my voice. But it wasn't directed at him. It was directed at myself. Yori slowly stood, staring at me. I avoided his gaze and kept staring at the floor.

"I–I cut you out of my life as if you're nothing... I literally didn't talk to you because I was too concerned over my own time... I–I didn't text or call. I–I was selfish. I was... am... A bad friend. A really bad friend," I said shakily.

Tears blurred my vision as I stared straight down the floor. I didn't know when exactly, but suddenly Yori had stood right in front of me. Gently, warmly, he placed his fingers on my chin and lifted my face.

Inevitably, I stared at his warm eyes. Those warm eyes pierced deep into my soul. He smiled, and somehow I felt my defenses crumbling.

"I get it, Chaeng... It's not easy being an idol. Your schedule is always hectic, and you don't have time for me.... And, you know what? That's fine with me. I'm not angry at all. Instead, right now the only thing I feel is happiness," he said.

I looked at him confusedly. Happiness? He didn't make any sense. I wanted to object, wanted to slap some sense into my childhood best friend, but before I could do anything, he pulled me into a hug.

"You know what makes me happy? I'm happy... Because even though you've become one of the biggest, most popular idols in the world, you still remember me. For that, Son Chae Young..." he squeezed me tightly. "... I thank you."

I couldn't believe what I had just heard. He wasn't mad. He didn't hate me, and instead... He was happy?

"H–How?" I whispered confusedly. Yori chuckled.
"What do you mean 'how'?" he asked.
"How can... How can you still treat me like this? You should be mad... Y–You... You... YOU SHOULD HATE ME!" I yelled, pushing him away.

I fell to the floor and started sobbing. Shit. Why was I so weak?

Yori knelt down next to me. I lifted my head, staring at him with anger and self loathing at my own self, but I was surprised to see the smile never leaving his face. He rested his hand on my shoulder gently.

"Chaeng... We both know that no matter what you do, I will never be able to hate you..." he said.

He reached, and gently he wiped away my tears. His fingers slowly straightened my hair. He sighed and smiled.

"Chaeng, whatever happened eight years ago is long behind us. I never held any pain or hatred towards you. I only have good memories of you. Do you know how happy I was when you were put on the Major Team on SIXTEEN? Hell, Okasan and Otosan were even crying tears of joy!" he said with a big smile.

"You've done nothing but make me proud, Baby Cub. You followed your dreams and... Look where you are now! You started from that shy girl, drawing in the corner of our elementary school classroom, and now you're one of the baddest rappers in the business!" he continued.

Yori sat on the floor and pulled me close to him. His words made my tears stop, and I instinctively laid my head on his chest. Somehow, someway, my anger and hatred disappeared in an instant. His warm sunny presence took me away from reality. Suddenly, a chuckle left my mouth. I heard him chuckling too.

"Chaeng... I've forgiven you for not contacting me long ago. Now, it's time for you to forgive yourself," he said gently. He pressed his forehead against mine, and another chuckle left my mouth. How could I stay mad in his presence?
"Okay... I will..." I promised him. He smiled wider and nodded.
"That's my Chaeng..."

We stayed like that for a few long seconds, basking in each other's warmth. Eventually, we separated, but we stayed in each other's arms, staring at each other. He smiled wide.

"Better now?" he asked. I chuckled and nodded.
"Much. Much... Better..." I uttered, then I wrinkled my nose. "I missed you, Yori."
"I missed you too, Chaeng..." he whispered. "Ya... Your friends must be worried. Do you wanna call them now?"

I nodded, and he helped me to my feet. I took a deep breath, and I walked towards the door.

"Okay, girls... Please come in now."

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

115K 2.7K 42
When your PR team tells you that we have to date a girl on the UCONN women basketball team and you can't say no to it... At first you don't think too...
1.1M 44.8K 51
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
1M 33.6K 60
𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐆𝐈𝐑𝐋 ──── ❝i just wanna see you shine, 'cause i know you are a stargirl!❞ 𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇 jude bellingham finally manages to shoot...
646K 39.5K 104
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...