The x Other x Kurta

By babyneko21

Akari is a Kurta who was born in Yorknew City, so she was never present for the massacre. As such, her life a... More

I. Yorknew Public Library
II. Breakfast Meeting
III. Confrontation
V. An Unlikely Find
VI. Critical Information
VII. An Unexpected Reunion
VIII. Unpleasant Encounters
IX. Fight!
X. Surprising Turn of Events
XI. Rescue Mission, Kind Of
XII. The Missing Peace
XIII. Empty Threats
XIV. The Showdown
XV. Finale
Author's Note

IV. Library Visitors

129 2 0
By babyneko21

• Akari •

It was time for Akari's shift to begin.

She yawned as she took in the pile of books she'd have to re-shelve. She thought back to her breakfast this morning, thinking about how odd things turned out. She had expected to discuss information with Kurapika only, but she ended up running into Killua and his best friend, Gon, having an unpleasant conversation with Killua, and seeing Illumi for the first time.

Illumi... Seeing him allowed her to put a face to her greatest threat, according to Killua anyway. She wondered why he disliked her so much. She didn't do anything to him or Killua, and he didn't know about her research either ...did he? She'd have to ask Killua later. Right now, she had work to do.

She had just started sorting books, looking up briefly to see several students walk in. Among them was Illumi — weird — and another familiar stranger. Was that ...Chrollo?!

Her heart sank as her suspicions were confirmed. As they headed towards the library counter, Akari pretended to not have noticed them.

"My, it's been a while since we've last seen each other." Chrollo was first to speak. "You haven't changed an inkling, Akari."

Akari jumped at the emphasis on her name. She finally looked up to face Chrollo. He hadn't changed much himself, but he was wearing a ridiculous fur coat. It was summer. "Why are you wearing a winter coat in the middle of the summer?"

"That's your first thought?" Chrollo chuckled, clearly amused. "Well, this is what I usually wear. What did I wear last time?"

"You were wearing a suit, your hair was down, and you had a bandana or something wrapped around your forehead." And you looked more handsome, too. What happened?

"Ahh, I see." Chrollo turned to introduce Illumi. "This is Illumi. We partner up on many missions."

"So he's another walking scum?" Anyone associated with Chrollo was scum in Akari's mind.

Illumi's eyes widened. "Not really. Just because you don't agree with certain careers doesn't make those people scum."

"I'm sorry. You don't see anything wrong with thievery and murder? Oh wait. You're a Zoldyck. What would you know about a precious life?" Akari eyed her threat coolly.

"You're the one who's friends with a professional assassin. Did you forget that Killua is also a Zoldyck?" Illumi questioned.

"No, I did not forget, but thanks for the generous reminder," Akari shot back.

"What makes Killua better than me?"

"Gee, I don't know. Perhaps the fact that he feels remorse for his actions?"

"Mmm, I don't think so." Illumi crossed his arms. "Killua is trained to kill. When he meets an individual, his only purpose is to decide whether to kill them or let them live. Don't be surprised if he turns on you one day," Illumi warned. He seemed to be waiting for another retort.

Akari stared at the weirdo in disbelief. "Wow, you're delusional. You-"

Before she could say more, Chrollo interrupted. "Well, that's not a nice way to introduce yourself, Akari. I expected better than that."

"Why are you here, Chrollo?" Akari was losing her patience with her two visitors.

"Honestly, just wanted to see you in person again." He smiled, but his eyes told a different story.

"I don't believe you."

"Believe what you want." Chrollo shrugged. "Oh, Illumi would like to use the Hunter library located here."

"No."

"He's a Hunter."

"How?!"

"He took the Hunter exam and passed. That's how."

"Any proof?"

Illumi watched the two bicker in amusement. Chrollo turned to him. "Do you have your Hunter license?"

He nodded.

Akari shook her head. "How do I know you didn't just steal it from someone?"

"Why is it so hard to believe that I'm a Hunter? If it's about the line of work I'm in, then let me remind you that Killua is a Hunter as well."

Akari didn't know how to dispute Illumi's statement. Additionally, she remembered how her table mates at the cafe had talked about Illumi at the Hunter exam. She had no reason to believe the guys were lying. She sighed in defeat. "Fine. Follow me, but only Illumi is allowed to enter. Chrollo, you can't."

Chrollo smiled. "That's fine by me. I'll just look for an interesting book to read." He left the two alone.

Illumi followed Akari to a heavy wooden door. Akari gave him the same instructions she had given Kurapika just the day before. "To enter, you need to scan your license. Everything inside is at your disposal. Please clean up after yourself. To exit, scan your license again but on the other side of the door."

"Got it. Thanks." Illumi scanned his license and entered.

• Illumi •

Illumi couldn't understand why Akari was so short with him. Did he do something to make her mad? He was simply trying to examine her to see if she was potentially as interesting as Killua said.

Maybe she's just scared, he thought.

He seated himself in front of a computer to look into a new target. This person was dangerous considering his advanced nen techniques, so Illumi needed to learn as much as he could before completing his mission.

After a few search queries, a puzzled Illumi decided there might be an easier way to gather information. He quickly logged out of the computer and exited the Hunter library.

• Akari •

Akari felt tense. She didn't like that two dangerous individuals were lurking around in her library. Luckily, Chrollo left her alone and Illumi was busy in the secluded Hunter library.

She pushed the cart full of returned books down an aisle of bookshelves. As she was about to place a book back in its spot, she noticed a set of dark eyes staring back at her from the other side of the bookshelf.

"Ahh!" A startled Akari yelped. "You're not normal, you know that?" She scolded Illumi.

"I just thought this was the easiest way to come see you face-to-face."

"You couldn't walk up to me in this aisle? You just had to peer through the bookshelf?"

Illumi exhaled. "I can't help but wonder what I've done to anger you so. Help me understand."

"You're so inconsiderate," Akari pouted. And a jerk.

"How so?" He raised an eyebrow.

"You're after my life, aren't you?"

"Well, no, not quite. I'm sure Killua told you to beware of me, but I'm not planning to kill you."

"Well, that's comforting," Akari remarked sarcastically. "Can I still sleep with my eyes closed tonight?"

"I guess. What do I have to do with the way you sleep?"

Akari didn't know whether to laugh or be confused. Was Illumi really this oblivious? "Never mind. What do you need?"

"What kind of Hunter are you?" Illumi asked bluntly.

Akari looked taken aback. "Why should I tell you?"

"Well, if my memory serves me right, Killua mentioned you might be a Crime Hunter. Is that right?"

So Killua didn't keep his mouth shut, did he? Akari was livid. "How does that help you?"

"Well, I tried researching my next target, and he's a prominent person, but the Hunter site seems to be lacking on information about him. I was wondering if you could assist me."

Akari groaned. Why me? He was actually being nice, but he was also an assassin. What would he do if she turned him down?

"I see you must be pondering on whether to help me or not." It was as if Illumi had read her mind. "Let me help you. I will provide you with inside information on the Phantom Troupe — not without limit, of course. However, I'm more than happy to establish a give-and-take relationship with you." Illumi clasped his hands behind his back. "And you will be on good terms with yet another Zoldyck."

It was tempting to accept his request on the spot. Akari wondered what his ulterior motive was.

"There are no ulterior motives in my proposal."

How?! Could he read my mind? "Let me think about it," Akari said.

"Don't take too long to make your decision. I haven't got all day." Illumi looked at a clock located on the opposite wall. "I'll give you till noon to decide."

She had thirteen minutes.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

212 16 12
Tainted by her dark past, she turned away and didn't look back. Abby Tsukumo was destined to be successful. Her family made sure of this. In her line...
49.4K 1.4K 31
COMPLETED ☆ Akasuki Freecss, the seventeen year old aspiring Hunter with the generational ability called, "Third Eye". With his ability he can see so...
229K 6.9K 41
Status: ✎Ongoing 39/45* // ↳《Female Zoldyck¡! Reader》 ➷Stars were out, moon was shining, and an auction was currently ongoing. It was a perfect night...
671 46 7
╰┈➤ ❝ 𝐰𝐚𝐥𝐤 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐚𝐧 𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐥.. 𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐤 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐚𝐧 𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐥, 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐈 𝐠𝐨𝐭 𝐰𝐢𝐬𝐞.. 𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐥 𝐢𝐧 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐠�...