Her Betrayal

By M__Mukhopadhyay

Clenching my eyes shut , I let a few fat teardrops roll down my cheeks. The blazing anger in his eyes , the a... More

Introduction
Chapter - 01
Chapter - 02
Chapter - 03
Chapter - 04
Chapter - 05
Chapter - 06
Chapter - 07
Chapter - 08
Chapter- 09
Chapter- 10
Chapter- 11
Chapter- 12
Chapter - 13
Chapter- 14
Chapter- 15
Chapter- 17
Chapter- 18
Chapter- 19
Chapter- 20
Chapter- 21
Chapter- 22
Chapter- 23
Chapter- 24
Chapter- 25
Chapter- 26
Chapter- 27
Chapter- 28
Chapter- 29
Chapter- 30
Chapter- 31
Chapter- 32
Chapter- 33
Chapter- 34
Chapter- 35
Chapter- 36
Chapter- 37
Chapter- 38
Chapter- 39
Chapter- 40
Chapter- 41
Chapter- 42
Author's Note
Chapter- 43
Chapter- 44
Chapter- 45
Chapter- 46
Chapter- 47
Chapter- 48
Chapter- 49
Chapter- 50
Epilogue
NEW BOOK

Chapter- 16

44.6K 1.4K 95
By M__Mukhopadhyay

Braelyn's POV

"Our wedding day, you know it was the most awaited day of my life. I was excited like a fucking kid on Christmas but then everything changed in just a few minutes." He smiled sadly.

"That pain was too much for me. I felt as if my heart was being ripped out of my chest. I drank, drank madly to numb the pain but the more I drank I felt I was getting more drowned in grief , an unparalleled emptiness." I wanted to hold him, console him but I couldn't. The fact that he went through so much pain because of my stupidity, twisted my heart.

"To get away from all this I immersed myself in work, a lot of work. I didn't care for anything else other than the company, your words burning in my mind. I worked day and night to claim back all our losses. In these three years we covered every loss, bought shares in companies all over the world. I wanted to make you swallow your own words.

I tried everything to forget you, your voice, your smiling face but I failed. There wasn't a day I didn't miss you but everytime I remembered our memories, the times we had spent together, my heart filled with an unfiltered amount of rage. Eventually I lost contact with all my friends, I became alone. There were times when I used to feel depressed, and didn't want to come out of my room. I only had Kate and Ryan with me at that time. " I inhaled sharply at that.

"I only had Kate and Ryan with me at that time."

"They helped me to carry on with my life , provided me with emotional support and always had my back." I felt like laughing out at our condition. Evan thinks Kate was one of the biggest supporters when he was distressed, the same Kate who was the cause of it, the one who split us apart.

Whatever thoughts I had of confessing everything to him, died in my mind. He would never in a lifetime believe me if I accused Kate. It's known that people grow closer at the time of misery and Kate pretended to be his biggest well-wisher at such a time. How could I even make him believe that Kate was not what he thinks?

The memories of the past are already so painful and I didn't want to mess it up further. He would consider me a liar if I tell him everything and I wouldn't be able to bear any more accusations. I composed myself before speaking.

"With all due respect, why are you telling me all this Mr. Lewis?" I saw his jaws clench, highlighting his sharp jawline. I knew it was rude and extremely insensitive to say this but I had no option. For a second hurt flashed in his eyes before they went back to normal.

"I had suffered so much Brae but today I want the reason. Why did I suffer so much? Why did you leave me back then?" I kept changing my weight from one feet to another out of nervousness.

"I'm sorry for all you had to go through but there is nothing new to speak about this topic." I kept a poker face, my voice cold.

"Brae -" I cut him off abruptly.

"You have a meeting with the German clients in an hour. If you let me, I would have the conference room prepared."
Keeping his jaws clenched, he nodded at me. I quickly opened the door and left his cabin.

Entering my room, I kept my belongings on the table and closed my eyes to calm my erratic breathing. Everything the past us brought into discussion I experience this indescribable feeling. It's like I want to speak my heart out, let everyone know what happened but again uttering even a single word about it seems difficult and suffocating.

Even though I wanted to, I knew it would be useless to talk to Evan about our past. Anyone in his place would never believe me. Maybe this secret will stay with me forever, maybe some things are better this way, unspoken of.

………………

Evan's POV

"How can she act like this?" I muttered looking at the broken pieces of the pen stand that had landed on the floor facing my anger. Her cold, indifferent attitude was unnerving.

Was I trying too much to read in between the lines? Maybe there is nothing more to the story than what is known. But then Ryan's points stand clear , asking for proper justification. Was she hiding something from me ?
I pulled out my phone and called a number.

"Hello!"

"Braelyn Taylor. I want you to find out every single thing that has happened in her life in the past three years. I'm sending you some details about her and I want the information as soon as possible."

"On it."

"Thanks, Max."

"Don't mention it. Have a nice day Sir."

"Thanks, you too." I hung up my phone.
I knew it wasn't right to run a background check on her but I had questions, questions that required answers and I was going to get it, by hook or crook.

…….

Braelyn's POV

"Ms. Davis, the deal with The Knight Industries is off and they haven't taken the news well. I want you to take care of any false reasons or rumours regarding the case." I looked at Evan , speaking to the public relations head. After last Friday's incidents, Evan hasn't been mean to me or made me work my ass off but then it was only the first day after that and only a few hours have gone. I saw him turn to get into his cabin when a high pitch voice interrupted.

"Evan!" My eyes immediately snapped towards the figure dressed in the costliest of things and sporting a big smile. Kate.

She rushed towards Evan and crushed him with a tight hug who gladly reciprocated. At this scene, the whole floor broke into murmurs while I stood rooted in my place. Seeing Kate after so many years felt surreal. After that day I hadn't seen her ever up till now when she was hugging Evan.

I hadn't felt this uncontrollable amount of rage in my life that I felt at the moment. She broke us apart , brought us to the point where it is difficult to even be civil to each other and now she is embracing Evan like she is his greatest friend.

Her eyes roamed about the whole floor before they landed on me, causing her smile to fade away. Instead of guilt, her face had an expression of shock.

"Braelyn?" She spat my name. I clenched my jaws in anger. After all she did, she called my name like I was supposed to be anywhere else but here. Everyone on the floor was now looking at my face to draw a conclusion on how she knew me.

"Kate." I gritted her name through my teeth.

"Come with me to my cabin. We'll talk." Evan pulled her by her arm and got into his cabin. I felt a certain uneasiness on seeing them this close. Sighing, I turned to go back to my cabin when I saw everyone's stare fixed on me.

"What ? What do you want?" I was irritated. Normally I don't speak like this even if they are gossiping about me but today I was seething. The sight of Kate itself was toxic.

"Brae, are you fine?" Cora put a hand on my shoulder.

"Yeah."

"Who was it ? I mean how do you know her?"

"Katherine Smith. She was my senior in college." Even her name felt bitter on my tongue.

"And Mr. Lewis?" Austin looked at me like he knew there was something more to be known and he was right.

"Yeah, he too. They were in the same batch." I said, sounding bored but that little piece of information was definitely exciting to Cora.

"Wait WHAT!?" Cora's over dramatic shriek had everyone's eyes on us.

"Stop yelling!" I hissed.

"You mean you know Evan Lewis from your college days?" Though she toned down, her expression didn't falter. I nodded knowing what was there to come.

"Tell me how he was back then. He must have been the popular guy. Was he a sweet charmer kind of guy or the hot bad boy?" I just rolled my eyes at her.

"See you later."

"Wait, I wanted to know!" I heard her whine while I was on my way to my cabin.

I'll be posting little spoilers of the upcoming chapters on my Instagram handle. If you want to sneak a peak of what's coming next, make sure you follow me on Instagram.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

264K 7.4K 26
*NEW BOOK! * BONUS CHAPTERS OUT NOW! They say he's hotter than sin, colder than ice. The CEO of a Fortune 500 company. Built from the ground up. He...
365K 9.5K 35
𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐈𝐈𝐈 After ending a marriage of 4 years, Hunter and Sophia are back at it again. They hate each other now more than ever. He broke her hea...
70.9K 4K 39
[Billionaire / Fake Relationship] After seeing the women's shelter she worked hard to build burn down to the ground, social worker Emma Cavendish wil...
2.4M 95.8K 48
Braelyn Sawyer is the invisible little sister of Nick, Nathan, and Kyle Sawyer. Each of her brothers are popular, handsome, and players. Braelyn alwa...