Serendipity & the Serpent

By serendipiteaparty

A fun twist on "The Karate Kid" where YOU are in the rivalry with Johnny Lawrence :) After the passing of you... More

Skating Through Reseda
The Altered Timeline
Confrontation
Cruel Summer
Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Roots Like A Tree
Attention or Detention
Don't Rain On My Parade
Golf N' How It Goes
Welcome To The Jungle
Ferris Wheel of Fortune
The Timeline Restored
Even The Score
Feel The Night
Back and Forth
Family Matters
Think Only Tree
Beautiful Nightmare
Party With Marty
Milk Duds & Talks of Studs
Digging Two Graves
Serendipity
Full Circle
How To Dominate The Dance
The Truth
Fresh Coat of Paint
The Invisible Man
Run For Your Undead Life
Open Season
Nerve
Can't Fight This Feeling
Dangerous Territory
Guitar Strings On My Heart Strings
Date N' Skate
The Uncle
Cracking Skulls
The Great Escape
Double Trouble
A Crash Course in Dating
The Cast & The Castaway
Honesty Is The Best Policy
Take What You Want
No Mercy
It's My Party & I'll Cry If I Want To
Open Arms
Heed the Warning
Breaking In
Under Pressure
Dear In Headlights
Past Problems & Future Endeavors
Last First Date
Preparing For Battle
Rich Solutions
When Roots Collide
The Road Not Taken
Back To The Past
Handshake Deals
Get To The Point
Wicked Intentions
Checkmate
Loving Is A Losing Game
The Eve Of Disaster
To Say Goodbye
Final Moments & Fatal Mistakes
Remnants Of Revelations
Holding Out For A Hero
Out Of Time
Sabotage & Restoration
Harmony
Any Way The Wind Blows
Back To The Future (Epilogue)
Author's Note

You Had To Be A Big Shot

2.8K 91 60
By serendipiteaparty

The next few days went along somewhat smoothly. The Cobras stayed out of Daniel's way, but that didn't mean he didn't try to taunt them a bit. With their deal, he was untouchable.

But he couldn't be safe forever.

Johnny came marching over to the water fountain with a paper in hand. He had a smug look on his face as he practically threw it at Daniel. You and Ali stood next to him, eavesdropping on their conversation.

Daniel looked at the paper Johnny had just handed him. At the top, big bold letters read Death Certificate.

"What's this for?" Daniel asked.

"You gotta get your mommy to sign it so you can be in the tournament with the big boys."

You grimaced and Ali rolled her eyes. Real mature, Johnny.

Daniel tried his hardest to hide the rising fear. "I thought it was supposed to be no contact."

Johnny smirked. "Accidents happen."

You watched as Daniel gulped. Victoriously, Johnny turned and began walking away. About halfway down the sidewalk, he turned back to throw one more threatening comment Danny's way.

"Read it and weep. I'll see you in the tournament."

As he left, Ali immediately took another step closer to Daniel and began reassuring him. They walked away, and you could still hear Danny begging Ali not to punch Johnny in the gut.

Just then, a tap on your shoulder made you turn. Behind you stood Susan and Barbara with large smiles on their face.

"Hey!" They said in unison, a little too cheerfully.

You laughed skeptically. "Hi."

They looked at each other and smiled before Susan turned back to you and giggled. "So we were wondering..."

"Are you free Saturday night?" Barbara finished.

You thought over your schedule for a second. Momentarily, you forgot your mother would probably need help in the record shop. But you knew she would let you hang out with the girls.

"Yeah!" You exclaimed.

"Perfect," Susan exhaled, "we want to introduce you to our secret hangout spot."

Your eyes widened. "The secret hangout?"

"We thought it was about time." Barbara smiled.

Honored, you nodded your head with excitement. You were truly so flattered. After living in California for about a month, you finally started to feel like you belonged somewhere. The Cobras weren't constant, and you clearly missed out on a lot with Danny while he was avoiding you.

But the girls had always been there for you.

"I can't wait."

The girls exchanged a look before enveloping you in a large hug. When they pulled away, Susan clapped. "Alright, we'll pick you up Saturday night."
•••
Saturday night rolled around and you put on your best lipgloss. Your outfit was comfortable, but definitely fashionable. You felt confident and free.

When you walked into the record shop, your mother's face slightly fell.

"Hey, doll," she spoke quietly, "going somewhere?"

"Yeah," you grinned, "the girls are picking me up. They're taking me to their secret hangout spot."

"Oh, where's that?"

"I don't know," you laughed, "it's a secret."

You were hoping your mother would laugh, but instead she sighed. "Hon, I'm glad you're making yourself at home, but soon-"

"You're going to need more of my help around here, I know," you attempted a smile, "you've told me before."

"I really do appreciate your help when you aren't out and about, but ever since we took over the shop, we've been getting busier and busier by the week. I'm only asking you put more time into working here."

"I know ma, I'm sorry."

She pressed her lips into a thin line, trying to mask her rising conflict. "Go have fun tonight."

You practically skipped to the door, only stopping at the sound of your name being called.

"One more thing." Your mom cleared her throat.

Turning back to her, your heartbeat adjusted to her tone. "What is it?"

She shifted her gaze to the dust collecting on the top of the counter. Sighing, she forced herself to meet you eye.

"Your uncle really wants to meet you."

Shaking your head, you laughed in exhaustion. "I thought he told you that a month ago. He hasn't shown up yet so why should I believe he ever will?"

"He will honey, he just wants to make sure you're ready."

"Oh so what," you scoffed, "you've been keeping in touch with him?"

"He's come in the store a few times, yes."

"Unbelievable." You rolled your eyes.

"Look," she snapped, "I know this is a lot for you. It's a lot for me too. Before we moved back here, I hadn't seen my brother-in-law since before you were born. This is difficult and I'm not expecting you to be completely on board with it. I get your anger and frustration but I'm asking for your understanding as well."

"Understanding of what?" You yelled, "I have no reason to meet him!"

"He's going to meet you whether you like it or not! If there's one thing I know about your uncle, it's that he will not stop until he gets what he wants! So it's better if you cooperate and we can do this in a more civilized manner rather then-"

Your voice began to rise higher over your mother's. "Why are you letting this man control you?!"

"Because I'm scared of him!"

You stopped in your tracks. Slowly, you released the shaky breath you had built up for another scream. You tried to remain calm, bringing your voice down to a normal volume. "Then why do you think it's a good idea for me to meet him?"

She pressed her lips into a thin line, surely holding back a floodgate of stressed tears.

"Doll, I know how horrible this looks. But trust me, it's better to handle your uncle his way. I've known my brother-in-law since I was young, and I know how he thinks. He may not be the man he used to be, but I can assure you that nothing bad will happen. I won't let it."

"What do you mean the man he used to be?"

Her eyes traveled the length of the record shop. She exhaled, preparing for the speech to come. When she was ready, she let the truth pour out.

"Your uncle used to be one of the most kind hearted souls I've ever met. He would break up a fight between two strangers in an alley way at any given moment. If he saw someone getting robbed, he would chase down the thief, and return the stolen items to their rightful owner. He would even give the shirt off his back to someone in need if it meant he was doing the right thing. But one day... your uncle left town. When he came back, he was a completely different man. He became violent, aggressive... even destructive. After all this time apart, I see clearly that he is still that scary man, but the man I know is still inside. When I ran into him at the grocery store for that first time a few weeks back... I thought I was crazy for holding a conversation with him. But I know in the long run... hon it's better this way. You only have to meet him one time, on his terms, and you'll never have to see him again. It's what he promised. And your uncle may not be the best man, but he is no liar. If you don't want him in your life, he will stay out of it. He will respect your boundaries. Do you understand?"

You stayed silent, nodding your head slowly. Your mother's tears began to fall. She was very passionate about this subject, and it was clear she wanted you to be obedient.

"Well..." your voice was small and quiet, "the girls are gonna pick me up at the apartment so... I better go."

"Have fun." Your mom forced a smile.

You headed for the door, your mind spinning. When your hand hovered over the handle, you stopped.

"Mom?"

"What hon?"

You turned to face her, looking deep into her eyes. "The next time you lie to me, make sure your stories are straight."

Her eyes widened, her words constricting in her throat. "I-"

"You told me that my uncle came into the record shop. You never ran into him at the grocery store."

She swallowed, shaking her head and turning her eyes to the counter where her palms pressed into the wood harshly.

"I'm tired of these secrets," you let out an exasperated sigh, "for instance, the fact that my uncle was adopted. When were you going to tell me that?"

Her eyes snapped up to meet yours. "Who told you that?"

"Mr. Miyagi."

She pounded her fist on the table.

You shook your head. "I can't believe you knew him this whole time and didn't say a word. It's only a matter of time before the real truth about my uncle comes to the surface. And I guess I can't rely on you to tell it."

She called out your name as you ripped the door open and marched out onto the street. You pulled your Walkman from your purse and put it on, turning it to max volume. It drowned out the cries of your mother as she yelled from the doorway behind you.

Big Shot by Billy Joel was your anthem of choice as you walked back to your apartment. You then sat on a bench outside for a few minutes before a car honking in the distance brought your attention to the street.

Your heart dropped as a bright red convertible pulled up to the curb.

Susan and Barbara had failed to mention the Cobras would be joining you on your expedition. And part of you wondered if they had left those details out on purpose.

It was too late to turn around and run inside. You had no choice but to get in the car.

But what made your stomach turn even more was that Susan and Barbara pat the armrest console in between the driver and passenger seat. There were no spots left to sit, and it was your only place to go.

Right next to Johnny.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

105K 2.1K 25
(1/3)🥋 Daniel LaRusso, a almost 16 year old teenager, has just moved from New Jersey to the sunshine state of California. Within the first two days...
30.3K 599 17
Johnny Lawrence hates Daniel LaRusso's guts or... perhaps he wants him to rearrange his guts. Johnny has fallen for the dark brown-eyed handsome boy...
621K 13.2K 25
You and your twin brother Daniel had always been close. But when Johnny Lawrence fights his way into your life, what do you do? *last chapter has smu...
141K 3.8K 29
New mom... new feelings... new friends... Book 2 of the M.D. series #4 in #migueldiaz