ALICE

By Firdosefk

Alice in wonderland? Knave of hearts? No, not the story you are familiar with. Alice Vincent is not an ordina... More

PROLOGUE
CHAPTER 1- GHOST SQUAD
CHAPTER 2- TIME TICKS FORWARD
CHAPTER 3- UNEXPECTED GUEST
CHAPTER 4- A PROMISE IN THE DARK
CHAPTER 5- KNAVE
CHAPTER 6- BIRTHDAY
CHAPTER 7- TRUST
CHAPTER 8- SHADOW
CHAPTER 9- GIFT
CHAPTER 10- BOUND
CHAPTER 11- GOOD WITCH
CHAPTER 12- MENDALINE
CHAPTER 13- MARIA
CHAPTER 14- POWERS
CHAPTER 15- ONE STEP CLOSER
CHAPTER 16- RESPONSIBILITY
CHAPTER 17- CHARITY
CHAPTER 18- FUN
CHAPTER 20- LOYALTY
CHAPTER 21- DECEPTION
CHAPTER 22- LOSS
CHAPTER 23- TRUTH UNFOLDS
CHAPTER 24- SAVIOUR
CHAPTER 25- GOODBYE
EPILOGUE
WRITER'S NOTE!!!

CHAPTER 19- TRAPPED SOULS

43 7 8
By Firdosefk

The hospital walls looked painted red in blood. Dark crimson liquid lay in puddles, staining the white tiles. The smell of blood seemed everywhere. Thousands of voices were screaming in pain and agony. The voices of the trapped and lost souls whom no one could hear. The screams of the people who were stuck between one world and the next, echoed off the walls. The chilly air felt like it would cut through skin.

That was what Alice had been preparing herself for. Not for what she was seeing now, standing by the hospital doors.

The hospital walls looked freshly painted white. The cream tiles were scrubbed clean. The place smelled deeply of chemicals and medicines. The brown reception desk was stacked neatly with files and papers. There were a few waiting chairs set up in front of the desk, now empty in the middle of the night. Several corridors were leading into different rooms.

The private hospital looked well managed now, since the hospital began to make business. It had looked like a shabby hut the last time Alice had been here with Charlie. It was newly built then, with rumours flying around about an evil spirit haunting the area. Alice had been really curious as to see how bad ghosts were. After so much time with her ghost squad, it had been quite hard for her to believe in bad ghosts.

Unfortunately, Alice was given a horrible lesson that night, that had removed all doubts in her mind about the existence of evil spirits. A memory that still sent chills through her body. She had barely escaped with her life, and Charlie had almost disappeared for good.

It was that night Alice had discovered, that powerful ghosts had the ability to erase the weaker ones. She hoped tonight would not be a reminder of that.

As if reading her thoughts, Charlie assured, "Don't worry, if that damn ghost comes after us again, we will be ready for him!" Alice gave him a small nod.

The fluorescent lights were brightly lit up, thanks to Mike's powers. Alice wondered if it would catch a passer-by's attention. She hoped not.

As Alice began to make her way inside, she wondered just how much she was missing out. Most girls her age were already with jobs. Not that Alice did not want to explore. She just never felt the need to.

Sophie had always made sure Alice got whatever she needed, without her even having to step out of the house. Whenever Alice fell sick, her mother made her a strong concoction, which always helped her get on her feet in a few days. At times, Alice wondered why her mother wasn't a doctor.

Let alone hospitals, Alice had never even been to their own flower shop. She did not even know where it was located. She thought it was a miracle that Sophie had allowed her to finish her schooling, at the very least.

"What exactly are we looking for, Alice?" Asked Maria, breaking her thoughts.

Alice was not sure herself, but she said, "A ghost in need of help, perhaps?" She began to make her way towards the corridors.

They had all left as soon as they were convinced Sophie had fallen asleep. Alice was feeling a little down. Her mother had grown distant from her, yet again. Sophie had hardly spoken to her daughter at dinner. In fact, she had pretended as if Alice were not there at all.

Alice had believed that things had changed ever since her father had left them. That her mother and her were finally close, and they had been, though only for a few pleasant days. It all felt like a dream now. As if it had never happened.

"Here, ghosty!" Called out Knave, who had suddenly appeared next to her. "Come out, we just want to help you. Or to be more precise, a crazy girl wants to try out her powers!" He shouted.

"The hell is wrong with you?" Snapped Charlie, placing himself between them.

"I have no interest in roaming around empty corridors, hence I decided to speed things up." Knave replied.

"Why did you have to walk next to Alice?" Charlie demanded.

Alice heard Maria sigh behind her. She supposed Mike was behind her too, and even without looking, Alice knew he had his head in his hand.

Her ghost squad had taken a double take when Knave had used his powers and had teleported Alice inside the hospital, since it had been locked for the night. They had looked at the two of them with stunned expressions. 

Charlie though, had been the most furious when Knave had touched Alice. Since then, he made sure that Alice and Knave did not even make eye contact.

'Sometimes brothers could be a bit too protective!' Thought Alice with admiration, and a little frustration.

"It is my body, which I suppose gives me the right to walk wherever I want." Replied Knave now. He seemed deadly calm. Somehow, Alice knew that it meant he was boiling with rage from the inside.

Before Charlie could say anything else, Alice shouted, "Guys!" They all stopped abruptly, looking at her curiously. She hesitated. "Um..., is that a light?" She asked, pointing towards the far end of the corridor. The others looked to where she was pointing.

"Indeed it is!" Observed Maria.

Alice blinked. "Really?" She asked, surprised. She had been lying just to stop Charlie and Knave's bickering.

Though now when she looked again, something did seem to glow. Suddenly all lights went off. The only light coming now, was the yellow glow. Alice swallowed hard.

As they all slowly neared the light, Alice began to feel that perhaps it was a lesson for lying so much. She supposed if she lied any further, all her lies might come true.

As they grew closer, the glow began to take a form. They stopped outside the X-RAY room, in front of the form, which now slowly transformed into a man. Not a normal man. A ghost who was transparent, just like her ghost squad. He was so skinny that Alice thought he might blow away at any minute. His hair was brown and curly. He had fine features. He appeared to look in his late fifties. If it were not for his hollow eyes and scared face, he looked really handsome.

He seemed to flicker. Perhaps because he was terrified? Alice was not sure. All eyes were fixed on him, as they waited patiently for him to fully appear.

Alice used the distraction as an opportunity, and quietly went to stand next to Knave. "Competition for you!" She whispered, teasing him.

Knave looked surprised for a moment. Perhaps with the fact that Alice had risked standing next to him. He quickly schooled his features. "Why competition?" He asked, genuinely sounding curious. Her ghost squad, more specifically Charlie, did not seem to notice them, yet.

"This is one handsome ghost," Replied Alice, indicating with her chin to where the ghost drifted.

Knave broke into a grin. "So you do find me handsome!" He pointed out.

"I.., what?" Alice realized with horror, what she had just said.

"I do not blame you, I am blessed!" Replied Knave, still grinning.

"I did not call you handsome," Alice began. "It is just that I remembered you telling me once that you doubted any handsome ghosts existed, apart from you."

"Really?" He demanded, crossing his arms.

"Yes! I was just proving to you that you were wrong." She said, not meeting his eyes.

"Thank you Miss Alice, but I still think that I am the most handsome." He replied confidently.

"What are you two whispering about?" Demanded Charlie, glowering over them.

"Look! He finally appeared fully." Alice observed, and made her way towards the ghost quickly, hoping to avoid Charlie's questions.

Now that the ghost was fully visible, Alice could see that his face was really angular. He looked extremely horrified. He was dressed in grey pants and a black shirt, which hung loosely around him. Alice scanned him, but there seemed to be no wound or scar on his body. No hint to betray how he had died. Then again, neither did her ghost squad betray any hints.

Alice cleared her throat. "Who are you?" She asked as kindly as she could.

The ghost tilted his head, looking at her. He seemed to study her for a moment, before answering in a raspy sort of voice, "I... I cannot remember! Martin, Justin, or was it Arden?"

"Pardon?" Blurted out, Charlie.

"SHUT UP!" They all shouted in unison.

"It rhymed!" Charlie protested. He saw everyone look at him angrily, and dropped his gaze.

Thankfully, the ghost did not notice. He seemed to be trying really hard to remember. He looked at Alice, worried and scared.

"That is okay!" Alice assured. The ghost tilted his head, as if trying to see if she meant harm. Alice shifted on her feet.

"Are you human?" The ghost finally asked. Alice nodded. He glanced behind her, towards her friends. "And these three ghosts?" He demanded.

'Three?'  Thought Alice, puzzled. She glanced behind her, and realized that the ghost could not see Knave.

"Great! Invisible to both the living and non-living. What a waste!" Knave murmured.

Alice returned her attention back to the ghost. "I suppose you do not know how long you have been dead, or how you died?" She asked.

"I am afraid not!" The ghost replied. He eyed her. "How can you see me?" He demanded.

"I just can." Alice replied. She supposed it was the best answer she could provide right now.

The ghost looked really sad. "I do not remember anything!" He said, sounding frustrated.

Alice looked at him. "Is there any way I can help you?"

The ghost suddenly beamed. "Can you set me free?" He asked hopefully.

Alice considered this. "Um..., maybe?" She replied hesitatingly. She glanced behind at her friends. Mike and Maria gave her an encouraging nod. Charlie offered her a thumbs up.

Knave just shrugged. "Do whatever you want, then let's get out of here!" He said.

Alice ignored him. She looked back at the ghost. "You do not have any unfulfilled desires?" She asked.

"Not that I remember, no," The ghost replied. "Why?" He asked, not unkindly.

Alice remembered reading an article, that had explained how ghosts existed due to an incomplete wish or desire. Alice had always wondered what unfulfilled desires her ghost squad had. When she had asked them, the twins had said that perhaps their love for living the best life had remained unfulfilled, which was what was stopping them.

Maria had said that she was not sure, though Alice did not believe her. She realized that she was getting really tired of the little information she knew about Maria, and how her friend always remained closed off.

"Do not worry," Alice replied now, waving the ghost's question away. "I am going to try and set you free!" She said with a confidence she did not quite feel.

Alice closed her eyes, well aware of the fact that her friends were watching her expectantly. She ignored them, and tried to feel the same instinct that she had felt back in the woods, when she had freed Knave.

'This is what I am meant to do!' Alice thought.

"Um, excuse me?" The ghost said, breaking her concentration.

Alice opened her eyes in alarm. "What happened?" She asked, concerned.

"I just wanted to say thank you, since I do not think I will get the chance to, after you set me free." He replied sheepishly.

Alice let out a sigh. "Believe me, you're actually helping me more than I am helping you." She said.

"What?" The ghost asked, looking confused, but Alice had closed her eyes again, trying to gain focus.

Alice tried to picture the ghost. She imagined him tied to this world, and she was the one opening the knot. He had no desires, no unfulfilled wishes. He was desperate for peace. Alice imagined setting him free forever.

Slowly, Alice opened her eyes, her heart thumping. To her dismay, she found the ghost drifting exactly where he was, looking at her with eyes like an owl's, as if judging her.

"That is that then," Said Knave so loudly, that it made Alice jump out of her skin. "It is time for us to go to sleep, especially Miss thinks-who-can-help-everyone-just-because-she-helped-one co-operative- handsome- ghost!"

"Knave, do shut up!" Said Mike, sounding exhausted.

Alice felt embarrassed, disappointed, and stupid all at the same time. What was she thinking? She was nothing special. Knave was right, she was crazy.

Knave protested, "All I am saying is...," He broke off. Alice turned to look at him, her eyes narrowed. "It worked!" Said Knave in wonderment. Her friends were staring wide-eyed.

Alice turned to look at the ghost. Her heart was beating with excitement. The ghost was dissipating. Disappearing in a bright light.

The ghost's face lit up with happiness. He closed his eyes, enjoying the bliss of finally being free, after who knows how many years. Watching him, Alice felt peaceful herself. He opened his eyes and looked at her. "Thank you, brave one!" He whispered, before vanishing.

Alice turned to her friends in triumph. Her ghost squad looked at her proudly.

Knave offered her his annoying, charming smile again. "Well Miss Alice, you are special after all!" 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

937 170 35
Adara was a semi-normal seventeen-going-on-eighteen-year-old girl living a normal if not boring life prior to the fateful evening she and her mother...
48.6K 3.4K 53
Kara thought that going to a boarding school for witches would be hard. But when she's framed for murder, she must clear her name before the murderer...
132K 11.4K 68
New job, new city, fresh start. If she could only ignore the magic, strange creatures and weird family history that plague her every step, Alice Gray...
147K 3.2K 68
(Completed) "Her brother Will, he seems a lot nicer than she is." Anna Heart, A.K.A Ella Scarlett. A.K.A The Knave of Hearts got trapped in the evil...