Stop Being Human

By Writer_Kaylee

After an unfortunate mix up with a college acceptance package, Reighlynn Fritz is transported to a new world... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Acknowledgment

Chapter 19

17 2 0
By Writer_Kaylee

Brandon is up on his feet pretty quickly, "Mother," He states trying to keep his cool, "I told you Harmony and I are no longer friends." His voice has gone low and filled with rage. A small amount of smoke rises from under his palms.

"Brandon!" Mrs. Terrion says defensively, "That is very rude to say in front of our guest. Where are your manners? Besides, you two can use this time to... fix whatever happened. Don't you agree?"

Brandon looks at his father for help. He turns to his wife and tries to speak, but she puts her hand in his face. I can feel the temperature rise in the room.

While all of this is happening, Harmony stares at me. Her eyes burn into my skin. I look away, refusing to make eye contact. She's waiting for me to give some sort of reaction, but I won't give in. Harmony has done everything to get under my skin and now seeing her here, per Mrs. Terrions' request, has brought me to that point. The room has become tense and I feel like I am suffocating.

I push my chair back slowly, then stand. "Would you excuse me, please? Where is the bathroom?" I ask Mr. Terrion, since he is the only one paying attention to me.

Mr. Terrion doesn't look too happy either. He's not angry, but confused and upset. He has a sympathetic look when he speaks to me. Maybe Mr. Terrion had no idea about Harmony's arrival. "Straight down the hall behind you. Second to last door on the right."

I nod and get out of the room as quickly as possible. As soon as I do, the yelling starts. It's between Brandon and his mother. I pick up my pace and shove myself through the bathroom door. I'm quick to lock it and then I sit down on the toilet.

Their raised voices are almost unbearable. I quickly text Melody, asking if she is available, while trying to ignore the commotion. It takes a little longer for her to answer, but at least she does.

Sorry, Can't talk right now. Maybe later. Is everything okay?

I type back: It's okay.

There is only one other person I can think of and she would for sure answer. I dial her number and listen to the ringing. I turn the volume down since I have to have it on speaker. After a few rings, she answers. "Hello?"

"Hey Pois... can we talk?" I bounce my leg up and down while constantly checking the door.

"Are you okay? I hear yelling." I hear her rustling around as she asks.

"Yeah.. about that..." I go into a big spew on what is going on. Pois knows about the Harmony and Brandon situation before we even met. Pois isn't too fond of Harmony either.

After telling her everything, she says, "So Harmony is there to ruin everything and Brandon's mother is probably in on the plan."

I won't say the thought didn't cross my mind. Mrs. Terrion has already proven she has no interest in getting to know me, let alone let me date her son. If she knows Harmony... she probably sees her as his 'perfect match'. "I don't know..." I mumble back.

I've made sure to keep my voice down, just in case. I may be the only one with heightened hearing, but I don't want to take any chances of someone hearing the things I am saying.

Pois sighs, "That sucks. I can't even begin to imagine how you feel right now. Stand your ground, girl. Brandon chose you, don't forget that." Pois and I have a growing friendship. I'm glad I know that I can turn to her if I ever need someone to talk to.

"You're right..." Just as I say it, someone bangs on the bathroom door.

"Rei? It's me."

Panic rises in my chest. Even though it's Brandon, I can't help but feel a little jumpy. "I got to go, Pois. Thank you for talking to me!" I hang up the phone before I can hear her reply. I stand up to get the door, but first I glance at the mirror above the sink. I look fine... just a little pale.

I slowly open the door, but only about an inch. Brandon stands on the other side. He looks drained from his yelling, but he doesn't fail to smile when he sees me. "Hey."

"Hey." I reply and fully open the door.

"It's getting late... so we should set your room up." He scratches the back of his neck awkwardly. Part of me is glad he isn't bringing up what just happened.

"Right..." I step out of the bathroom, and a little closer to him, "Lead the way then."

Brandon goes to the next door over, and flicks on the light. One of my duffle bags sits on the bed in the corner of the room. This must be the bag Brandon packed on his own for me. Hopefully, he did okay. "Let's see how well you are with matching outfits." I unzip my bag and lean forward to see inside. Surprisingly, my clothes are all folded neatly inside.

Brandon's warm hands slide onto and down my hips. My heart pounds by his sudden closeness. "You're supposedly sleeping in here." He whispers in my ear as I slowly stand up straight.

I turn my head in an awkward position to look at him. "What does that mean?" By his tone and words, I could tell that was not the plan at all.

"My room is the door across the hall." He smirks, running his hands up and down my sides.

I swiftly turn to face him, wrapping my arms around his neck, "I see what you're saying."

Brandon's eyebrows jump, and then he leans in to kiss me. It causes all of my worries and stress to float away for the time being. Brandon pulls my hips closer to him forcefully. I hear something hit the floor and before I can acknowledge it, Brandon shoves me backwards. I land on the bed behind me. My bag is missing now. I laugh as he leans over me, joining me on the bed.

His body hovers over mine, and he just stares at me. My face becomes hot, "What?" The thought of him analyzing me and seeing every makeup covered pimple, unplucked eyebrow hair and some of my other insecurities makes me flustered.

"You are stunning." He gives me a soft kiss. It hurts to hear the words leave his mouth. Sometimes I find that hard to believe when I see myself compared to everyone else.

"If your mom sees us, I think she may just burn me." I state, looking past him and at the wide open bedroom door. I can imagine a normal parent's reaction to walking in on their kid like this but a demon parent... I think that would be a hundred times worse.

Brandon huffs at the statement about his parents. Obviously, the situation is still a little raw to him. "Screw them." Brandon kisses me like it is his way to forget. His shoulders relax under my hands. I am slightly glad that I toned out their argument earlier. I don't think I would be able to handle the things that were said. Especially if they were about me.

Someone clears their throat and my body goes stiff. Brandon looks over and I see his eyes roll. When I look, I understand why. Harmony is in the doorway with her bags. "I'm here to set up with you." Brandon gets off of me and sits at the end of the bed.

I look over to my left at the second bed in this room and suddenly it all clicks, "We're sharing a room?" I stressfully say, leaning towards Brandon.

Brandon scratches his head. He already knows the answer. You might as well kill me now before she decides to kill me in my sleep if we're sharing a room together.

"I mean, unless you'd like me to sleep somewhere else?" She stares at Brandon as if I am not here, but she makes sure I see the seductive look on her face.

"No one's stopping you from coming into the room." I state since she is standing in the doorway. Her focus turns to me, and then she steps through the door.

Harmony doesn't say anything. She sets her bag on the bed and shuffles through her things. I stare wide eyed at Brandon and he knows exactly what I am thinking. He apologizes with a tilted head and a small shrug in his shoulders. It's out of control at this point.

"Brandon! Do you think we'll go to the ocean like we do every year?" Harmony says too excitedly as she turns towards us. In her hands is a green bikini top that looks too small for her. Why does she have a bikini, anyway? I thought she was a siren? Wouldn't she just get her own bikini top when she got in the water? Maybe that's just a movie thing.

"Most likely." Brandon answers with zero emotion towards her.

I abruptly stand up, "I am," I search my bag quickly for a pair of pajamas. "Going to change." I head back to the bathroom with my clothes in my hands. Almost as soon as I shut the door, Brandon is outside of it.

"Rei..." He says, "Can I speak to you real quick?"

I open the door and let him in. He shuts the door behind him and leans his back against the towels hanging on the back of the door. "You don't have to stay there. We'll figure something out..."

I let out a shaky breath. "Did you know she would be here?" The question has continued to race through my mind since she showed up. She is here for the rest of the week like I am and there is nothing I can do about it.

"What?" Brandon sounds shocked, almost surprised I'd even ask such a question. "No! Rei, I told them she and I were no longer on good terms anymore. I told them I did not want her here. I was under the impression my mother had agreed. I was wrong."

"But she's been here before, right?" My jealousy squeezes my heart. It's obvious that her coming over for the Halloween break is a normal occurrence. If Mrs. Terrion did not invite her, technically, I would be her replacement. I can't help all the wandering questions and thoughts in my mind. Most of all, what truly happened between them?

Brandon holds the side of my face, and I close my eyes. "I promise you, I will make this week better." I lean into the warmth of his hand. All I can do is trust him and hope that this week goes okay. Brandon leaves me to change after that.

Back in the room, Harmony is carelessly laying in her bed, playing on her phone. I dart my way to my bed and lay down. I turn my back to her. If she tries anything, I will hear it. She'd be dumb to think I wouldn't.

It's nothing but silence and darkness for the next few hours. My eyes are growing heavy, but I can hear Harmony is still awake. She's happily enjoying whatever she is watching on her phone as she keeps laughing every once in a while. I don't trust her enough to fall asleep before she does.

A notification pops at the top of my screen.

Brandon: Get over here.

At least he is still awake, too. I smile at his text, but it fades quickly as I type.

I can't. Harmony is still awake.

It takes a few minutes to get his reply. I don't care.

I sigh and throw my blankets off. The heat rushes onto my bare legs. It's odd being here. I am used to being cold as soon as I take my blankets off, but here... it is the complete opposite. It is either too hot or perfectly warm.

As soon as I am standing, Harmony has to open her mouth, "If you go in there, I'll be sure to tell mother." The light from her phone directly shines on her evil smirk.

Mother? She calls Mrs. Terrion mother? If that's the case, their bond is much stronger than I realized. I'd love to have that bond, but it seems like I will not get the chance.

"I'm going to the bathroom." I lie a little too easily. Harmony rolls her eyes, not believing my statement. "Would you like to hold my hand while I pee for proof?"

"Ew... no." Harmony mumbles.

That's what I thought. Relief surges through me and I walk out of the room. I quietly shut the door behind me. The hallway is dark, the entire house is dark. No one else is awake but us.

Brandon's door is barely open, so I push lightly and quickly step inside. There's a lamp shining just enough light to see. I see Brandon sit up in my presence and motions for me to shut the door.

I feel reckless, like a teenager sneaking into her boyfriend's house in the middle of the night. Only now I am actually staying at the house. Brandon pats the empty side of his bed, and my heart skips a beat.

I tiptoe my way over to his bed and slide under the covers next to him. He wraps his arm around my side and pulls me closer to his chest. His warmth is my favorite thing. It is so comforting. As if Brandon senses my nerves, he kisses my head, "Relax angel. Go to sleep, I am here."

Such a funny pet name to hear leave his mouth. I fall asleep with that thought in my mind.

In the morning, the family gathers at the table for breakfast. As we are close to almost being done, Mrs. Terrion goes over the plans for today. "We shall make a trip to the market. I need to bake tonight for the festival tomorrow. After that, we will head to the beach to meet up with the family like we do every year. Dinner will take place. All of this should take up our day. Tomorrow is the festival. We all know what to do for that." Mrs. Terrion taps her lips with her napkin.

"What is the festival exactly?" I blurt out without even thinking, "Do we dress up and pass out candy or something?" The realization kicks in. It's like for a second I forgot where I was, who I am... who I am pretending to be.

Everyone is staring at me in disbelief and confusion. I suddenly wish I wasn't here. Harmony is holding back her laughter. Mr. Terrion is taking a sip of his coffee while raising an eyebrow at me. I don't even dare to look at the face Mrs. Terrion is giving me.

"Where did you hear such foolishness?"

My leg bounces under the table, and sweat builds on the back of my neck. I have to force my hands in my laps to avoid my tick of wanting to play with my hair, "I.. uh.." I don't have an answer. I'm foolish for speaking, for forgetting. How could I have said such a thing? If I don't come up with something, how suspicious will I be?

"Mother, Rei isn't from Willow Forest, remember?" Brandon backs me up and places a hand on my shaking leg. It eases my panic slightly. My leg continues to bounce, but not as rapidly. Melody would be so disappointed in me for that.

"Ah..." She looks at me suspiciously, "Yes, I forgot." Something tells me she doesn't quite believe it. A mother always has an instinct. I already have the school suspicious of me. The last thing I want is for more people to question me.

The only question is, does she know? There's no way. If she had, I don't think I would be here right now. I am going to have to watch my mouth a lot more now. "You all are dismissed. Get ready now. I want us out of the house by noon."

With that, we all push our chairs out and leave the table. I'm shaken up as I head back to my room. My mind is practically screaming at me. I can imagine Melody screaming at me. If she was here, she would have pulled me aside and lectured me about how I am "not" human and need to stop acting like one. She does it every time she thinks I slip up. Most of the time, it is when I mention something that isn't from here.

"Hey," Brandon says from behind me and places his hand on my shoulder. I turn around to look at him. "It's okay. I know how hard it is for you to speak about it." He swoops away my hair and places a kiss on my forehead.

"R-Right." I reply. If Brandon thinks that I just panicked over having to speak about home, then that is the story I must go with.

Brandon gives me a nod and leaves me to get ready. I'm not really sure what I am going to wear, nor I am even sure what Brandon packed me. I rummage through my bag, looking at all the clothes Brandon had picked. After a while, I just pick something random and appropriate.

I changed into a spaghetti strap red crop top with a pair of ripped jeans capris. If we are going to be out and about in this hot town, I want to be comfortable and not a sweaty mess. I put on the bare minimum of makeup and tie my hair up. If we are going to the beach, I don't see the point of putting effort into looking good.

The entire time I am getting ready, I can feel Harmony's eyes on me every few minutes. Does she not like my outfit or something? I mean, it is none of her business what I wear. Besides, she is in a navy blue romper. It looks good on her and I'm not going to judge her for it.

Her faded blue hair is draped in perfectly bouncy curls and she has on all the makeup you could imagine. All put together. It looks good though; she pulls it off. I just wonder if she is going to have to take that all off when we head to the beach.

Harmony is gorgeous, and I'll gladly admit it. I see the way the boys look at her when she walks around the school. They all drool over her. They do it with Paris too, they're sisters after all. I will also admit that I am jealous of how beautiful Harmony is, but I will never see her as competition. I will never see any girl as competition. We're all beautiful in our own ways.

"Are you girls ready?" Brandon peaks in from the doorway. He stares at me with googly eyes. I watch his eyes start from my face all the way to my feet. I nod and grab my things.

Harmony doesn't say anything at first, she just pushes past me to leave the room. "Looking handsome as always Brandon." She giggles as she is halfway down the hallway. I flutter my eyelashes to avoid rolling my eyes.

Brandon extends his arm out to me and I twist mine with his, "Red is a wonderful color on you." My cheeks flush with blush. Brandon always knows how to give the simplest, yet so effective compliments.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

334 0 49
Four months ago, Alice Mason's best friend died in a car accident. An accident she somehow miraculous survived. Since that night she has been plag...
3.3K 429 51
*Book 1 of the Dark Wing Collective Series*- COMPLETED Rieka Stephens is a seasoned detective. She's been through many cases, but none like the one s...
50 3 2
Emmeranne Quintus, A not so ordinary but looks it on the outside recently turned Eighteen year old girl, With lots of child trauma and daddy issues...
1.1K 241 25
🐲Book 1 of Royal series Stumbling upon a dragon beneath her Castle at a young age, Princess Mae had wanted to follow the natural instinct to scream...