ALICE

Autorstwa Firdosefk

Alice in wonderland? Knave of hearts? No, not the story you are familiar with. Alice Vincent is not an ordina... Więcej

PROLOGUE
CHAPTER 1- GHOST SQUAD
CHAPTER 2- TIME TICKS FORWARD
CHAPTER 3- UNEXPECTED GUEST
CHAPTER 4- A PROMISE IN THE DARK
CHAPTER 5- KNAVE
CHAPTER 6- BIRTHDAY
CHAPTER 7- TRUST
CHAPTER 8- SHADOW
CHAPTER 9- GIFT
CHAPTER 10- BOUND
CHAPTER 11- GOOD WITCH
CHAPTER 12- MENDALINE
CHAPTER 13- MARIA
CHAPTER 14- POWERS
CHAPTER 15- ONE STEP CLOSER
CHAPTER 16- RESPONSIBILITY
CHAPTER 18- FUN
CHAPTER 19- TRAPPED SOULS
CHAPTER 20- LOYALTY
CHAPTER 21- DECEPTION
CHAPTER 22- LOSS
CHAPTER 23- TRUTH UNFOLDS
CHAPTER 24- SAVIOUR
CHAPTER 25- GOODBYE
EPILOGUE
WRITER'S NOTE!!!

CHAPTER 17- CHARITY

40 8 3
Autorstwa Firdosefk

"Are you sure you're not some type of prince?" Asked Alice, as she eyed the huge silver gate of the mansion that loomed up in front of her.

Knave did not reply. His gaze was fixed on the mansion. He looked as if he were recalling something. Perhaps all the years he had spent growing up here?

"Who said I am not?" Knave finally said. He was smiling, but it seemed fake.

Alice cleared her throat. "So, shall we go inside now?" She asked.

"If Pete allows you then sure, why not?" Knave replied.

Alice shot him a confused look. "Who is Pete?" She asked.

As if on cue, a burly man with a moustache appeared. He looked about forty. "May I help you?" He asked in a deep voice. Judging by his blue formal uniform, Alice could tell that he was a guard.

She tried for a smile. "Yeah um, I... I was..." She struggled, desperately looking for an excuse.

In all her rush, Alice had forgotten to think about what she would say to Knave's parents, or guard for that matter, once she reached.

Alice imagined looking at his parents and saying, 'Hi I am Alice, the girl bound to your cursed son, who you forgot about!'

"Say you are here for collecting charity." Said Knave, breaking her thoughts.

"Absolutely not!" Shouted Alice, looking at him disbelievingly.

"Um sorry, Ma'am?" Said Pete, looking around, as if asking for help.

"Sorry, I was not talking to you," Alice said, looking apologetically at the poor guard, who was now beginning to look terrified.

"Well, you better say something before you scare the poor guy out of his wits." Knave suggested unhelpfully.

Alice braced herself. "I am here to collect charity!" She said, forcing a smile.

Knave looked as if he were struggling to hold his laugh. The guard looked at her up and down. No doubt taking in her expensive jeans and mauve batwing top. Alice made a mental note to request her ghost squad to 'buy' her clothes at a reasonable price.

"I need to talk with Madam first!" Announced Pete. Then, he bolted towards the gates with surprising speed, before Alice could say anything else.

She looked at Knave. "Now what, genius?"

"Now we wait for him to kick you out." Knave calmly replied.

"In what way do I look like someone in need of charity?" Alice demanded.

"You should've thought about that before you opened your mouth." He replied.

"I do not believe you!" Shouted Alice, looking at him accusingly.

"You can always enter in as a housemaid," He suggested.

"A housemaid with branded clothes?" She asked, raising an eyebrow.

He shrugged. "You should've made plans before rushing out, don't you think?"

Alice shook her head in exasperation. She stared at the gates, deciding if she should just leave. She had lost her shot anyway.

Alice was about to tell Knave the same, when suddenly the gates opened, and Pete emerged again. He looked a little less terrified now. "Come in!" He shouted. 

Alice shot a confused look at Knave, but he just continued to make his way inside.

"What just happened?" Whispered Alice, as they entered the gate.

"I changed your look from the outside," Knave replied.

Alice swallowed. "Changed my look?" She looked at herself self-consciously. "Into what?" She asked, not sure she wanted to hear the answer.

"A beggar." He replied flatly.

"You made me..," She was so angry, that words failed her.

Knave held up a hand, stopping her. "You can thank me later."

"How dare you even...," Alice broke off, as she got a clear view of the mansion. "Wow!" She exclaimed.

The mansion was grey, decorated with all sorts of colourful flowers, making the air smell sweet. Before Alice got a chance to see more, Pete ushered them inside.

Alice found herself entering a big hall. Scented candles were lit. The windows were covered with heavy, red silk curtains. Expensive couches and tables were all over the hall. The walls were a peach colour, with sea paintings hanging on them. Several servants, all dressed in white shirts and black pants, were running around the hall.

Knave's eyes seemed stuck on one of the servants standing near the couch. Alice followed his eyes, and saw a pretty, young girl who looked about the same age as Knave. Her lush and thick brown hair was tied in a ponytail. She was holding a tray which was full of drinks. Juices, lemonade, and drinks Alice was not sure of.

The girl's cheeks were pink, as she smiled at the group of women who were sitting on the couches. All were dressed in designer clothes, and were wearing the finest of jewellery. None of them seemed to have noticed Alice yet.

"Aria!" Whispered Knave. Alice looked at him. Without looking at her, he said, "Her name is Ariana." He was still gazing at the girl Aria, with loving eyes. "She was my only best friend here!"

Alice felt an emotion she was unfamiliar with. She could not name it, but it bothered her to an extent that she had to bite her lips to try and divert herself.

Thankfully, a beautiful woman appeared from inside a room. The kitchen perhaps? Whatever the case, it greatly helped Alice take her mind off Aria.

Even if Alice had not heard Knave suck in a breath, she would've known that the woman was his mother. They shared the same sharp features. The same radiant smile. The woman had black eyes. Her brown hair was neatly braided. She held herself with a grace befitting a queen. Alice could not help but imagine, that her mother would've loved her.

"Is she the girl, Pete?" Asked the woman, looking at Alice kindly.

"Yes, Madam!" Pete replied.

The woman nodded. "You may now leave, Pete." She said.

The guard gave a small nod, and disappeared from where they had come. Everyone's attention in the room was now on Alice.

"Leave it to you to give charity, Lorine!" Said one of the women from the couches. Aria offered Alice a kind smile. Alice nodded in response.

Knave's mother Lorine, just smiled. "Of course! It is a way to gain a little peace in this unpeaceful world, Gene." She replied in a modulated voice.

Knave looked as if he were trying really hard to hold himself back, and not run to grab his mother in a hug.

"Please serve yourselves! I will join you in a minute." Said Lorine. Then, she looked at Alice with kind eyes. "Follow me, dear!"

After a long walk through several corridors, they finally reached the lawn. The lawn was, like the other parts of the mansion, beautiful. It was filled with vibrant green grass. The place smelled like rain and mud. Alice could hear birds tweeting, but could not spot them.

A tea tray had been set on a white glass table. A few chairs had been put around it. Occupying one of the chairs, was no doubt Knave's father. The same sea blue eyes and black hair. It was like catching a glimpse of how Knave might look in the future.

"Mason darling, we have a guest!" Said Lorine.

Mason looked up, smiling a charming smile. His eyes were fixed affectionately on his wife. "Just in time for tea!" He announced in a pleasant voice. He looked at Alice. "What is your name, dear?" He asked kindly.

"Alice Vincent!" Alice replied in a small voice.

"Do you want to join us for tea?" He asked, indicating one of the empty chairs.

Alice risked a glance over at Knave, who was standing beside her. He did not meet her eyes. His face was expressionless.

Alice turned away from him. Looking at his father, she smiled. "Of course, Sir." She said, joining him by the table.

As Alice sat, Lorine bent and whispered something in her husband's ear. He nodded once, and Lorine straightened up. "Please feel free, dear! I will be back in a while." She said, looking at Alice, who gave a small nod.

"She is off to give you your charity.'" Announced Knave, watching his mother go.

Alice jumped in her seat. A second ago Knave had been standing. Now, he was suddenly in the chair next to her.

"Is everything alright, Alice dear?" Asked Mason.

Alice regained her composure. "Yes, Sir!" She replied.

"Where do you live?" Mason asked, as he offered her a cup of tea.

Alice took it, racking her brains on what to say. For some reason, she did not want to give her house address. Or if she were not wrong, the words would not come out of her mouth. Mason looked on impatiently.

"London!" Alice blurted out, and immediately realized how stupid it sounded. Knave's father laughed. Alice felt Knave turn to give her a look. She did not dare meet his eyes.

"It is perfectly alright, dear, do not worry!" Said Mason kindly. He did not even look the least bit angry or annoyed.

Alice's heart welled up with emotions. Knave's parents were so kind people, and yet they were going through something they were completely unaware of.

Alice took a sip from the cup. "The tea is lovely, Sir," She said, unsure of what else to say.

"I would love to take the credit, however, I am not the one who has made it." He replied.

"No doubt Aria made it!" Said Knave with a small smile, as if he were remembering something.

The feeling that had gripped Alice before, returned with more intensity. Thankfully, Lorine entered, helping Alice divert her mind, yet again.

Lorine struggled with a bag in one hand and a basket in another. Mason stood up, rushing to help his wife, who gave him a loving look. The scene in front of Alice warmed her heart. She never remembered her parents ever looking at each other with so much love.

'Maybe it had been there and I ruined it!' thought Alice bitterly.

"These are for you, dear!" Said Lorine, placing the bag next to her legs. She placed the basket on the table. Alice saw that it was filled with dry fruits, packets of chips, bananas, chocolates, and a box of nuts. If not anything else, the snacks would definitely please her ghost squad.

Lorine and Mason took their seats in opposite chairs, facing Alice. Knave was looking at his parents wistfully. A small smile tugged his lips.

Knave's mother seemed to be looking at Alice's wrist with puzzlement. "That silver bracelet," She began. "May I have a look at it, dear?" She asked kindly.

Alice suddenly wished for the earth to open and swallow her whole. As she offered her hand, she realized how suspicious it would look. A girl who wears an expensive silver bracelet, asking for charity. Alice had thought that Knave had changed her appearance.

She looked at Knave angrily. Her eyes conveying a message, 'How could you forget to cloak the bracelet?'

He looked at her sheepishly, mouthing the word, "Oops!"

Lorine took her hand, examining not the silver bracelet, but the black. The one her mother had given her. Alice exhaled a breath of relief.

"Does this look familiar, honey?" Lorine asked her husband.

Mason bent forward, eyeing the bracelet. "Um yes, but I cannot remember where I saw it," He replied, scratching his neck.

Lorine let go of Alice's wrist. "Where did you get it from, darling?" She asked.

"My mother gave it to me as a gift." Alice replied. At least this time she was not lying. Lorine gave a small smile, and began to pour herself some tea.

Alice cleared her throat. It was time to do what she had come for. "Thank you so much for everything, kind Sir and Madam," Said Alice. They smiled in response. "May I ask a question?" She asked hesitatingly. "If that is okay," She quickly added.

"Of course, dear!" Replied Mason.

Knave tore his gaze away from his parents, and began looking at the tea tray instead. Alice placed her empty cup down. She did not realize when she had downed the entire drink.

"Do you have a son?" Alice asked. "I mean, children?" She added in a hurry, to avoid suspicions.

Knave's parents glanced at each other once. "No, my dear," Replied Lorine softly. Alice's heart thumped. She did not look at Knave. She was not sure she could.

"That remains the one thing that is missing in our lives!" Said Mason, sounding broken.

"Let's go!" Said Knave, suddenly getting up. Alice looked at him. He looked miserable. "NOW!" He shouted in a shrill voice. Alice stood up against her own will.

"Is...is everything okay, dear?" Asked Lorine hesitatingly.

"Yes," began Alice. "It is just that I have to leave now. I have been away from home for a long time, and my mother would be getting worried. Thank you for everything!" She said, rushing to follow Knave, who had already turned to leave.

Alice nodded her head gratefully, grabbed the bag and basket, and ran to catch up with Knave, leaving his parents looking after her curiously.

"Knave, wait!" Shouted Alice, as soon as they stepped out the gates.

Knave stopped abruptly, standing a few distance away, with his back to her. Alice struggled with the basket and bag, which was a little too heavy. She wondered what was inside it. She dropped the bag and basket down, and took a moment to breathe.

Slowly, Alice approached Knave, laying a hand on his back. "Knave?" She called out gently. 

He turned, and Alice did a double take. There was only one tear rolling down his cheek, but it was enough to break her heart.

"Somehow, hearing my parents deny my existence still hurts, even though I had already prepared myself for it!" Said Knave. Surprisingly, his voice was still firm.

Alice did not say anything. She supposed no words of assurance would help him. Instead, she hugged him tightly. He buried his face in her hair, as if to hide himself.

Mike and Charlie had always told Alice that men only showed their vulnerable side to the people whom they trusted their life with.

As Knave hugged Alice now, she realized that she might be one of those few people in his life, and she was glad to accept the responsibility. 

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

64 1 27
"The realization and truth of my life confused me. My stepmother was actually my father. The man I knew as my father was really a stranger. I was hal...
278 5 26
Aidan Summers thought he had the best job any young scientist would die for; working at a state-of-the-art laboratory and doing what he loved, while...
45.7K 887 20
💚Under Editing Seperately💚 Taken from your true home you end up in the Enchanted Forest, living with the Evil Queen. During the dark curse you fou...
3.8K 2.2K 46
Salutation! I'm Arlo Madder who is a storyteller who travel between worlds and worlds to tell tales of the unknown. I have came to Earth to fulfill m...